Chan Gailey not a sure thing

AFJF

http://www.jetnation.com/2015/01/18/chan-gailey-gone-before-he-got-here/

Following multiple reports of his imminent hiring as the Jets' new offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey may not be the sure thing he was previously thought to be.  NFL insider Jason La Canfora claims that while the Jets are finalizing a deal to add Cardinals' LB coach Mike Caldwell to Todd Bowles' staff, Gailey "might not be a slam dunk".

Jets finalizing Cardinals LB coach Mike Caldwell as an assistant head coach. Sounds like Chan Gailey might not be a slam dunk as their OC

Gailey's hiring has garnered mixed reviews from fans and media alike, but the success he has managed to have with a slew of mid-level quarterbacks, appeared to justify his candidacy.  Rave reviews from Super Bowl winning coach Bill Cowher didn't hurt his chances either, but it seems that for the time being, Gailey to the Jets is on hold.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does hiring caldwell have to do with chan gailey? Not sure I get this report.

He was reporting on Caldwell and then mentioned Gailey ins't a sure thing.  Caldwell news is meh IMO, the key piece is we may not have the guy we thought we did at OC.

If this is based on some "popularity contest" for Woody then he has in fact not learned a damn thing. And who are these people who dont like Gailey? I know that its not 100% across the board but its not like I'm running into articles or fans everyday talking about how horrible the signing would be. I hear more from Jets fans dreading what Rex is doing to the Bills organization with his staff than I do criticism about Chan Gailey. 

Woody better get that signing done!

If this is based on some "popularity contest" for Woody then he has in fact not learned a damn thing. And who are these people who dont like Gailey? I know that its not 100% across the board but its not like I'm running into articles or fans everyday talking about how horrible the signing would be. I hear more from Jets fans dreading what Rex is doing to the Bills organization with his staff than I do criticism about Chan Gailey.

Woody is hiring the coordinators??? I can't believe that's true

I've seen a few articles with people referencing his lack of top-10 offenses and also criticizing his results as a HC which is pointless becuase of how his young/inexperienced QB's performed in those times.  I like the hire...if it happens.

In the end, Gailey is 63 and his wife loves the fact that he's not working right now.  Maybe he changed his mind?  We could be interviewing that Qb coach from the raiders for OC like KRL thought or maybe anthony lynn or someone else.  Or this report could be wrong.

I doubt Woody is involved in hiring an OC.  Mac may have some input, but not Woody.  I mean, if there discussions on FAs and draft picks and what they feel they can get clash with Gaileys scheme, maybe.  But I understand Gailey has no set scheme.  He works with what he has.  That is what I like about him.

I've seen a few articles with people referencing his lack of top-10 offenses and also criticizing his results as a HC which is pointless becuase of how his young/inexperienced QB's performed in those times.  I like the hire...if it happens.

I've seen them too, but it was a couple. It wasnt like it was a plethora to the point where one had to get nervous. Even going to Bills forums the Bills fans were even praising the acquisition. Something's wrong with this and I dont believe it. I think this upcoming week when the press conferences are done it will be official. 

I've seen them too, but it was a couple. It wasnt like it was a plethora to the point where one had to get nervous. Even going to Bills forums the Bills fans were even praising the acquisition. Something's wrong with this and I dont believe it. I think this upcoming week when the press conferences are done it will be official. 

No, not at all....just saying reviews were mixed.  To be fair though, a lot of the negativity seemed to fade away as more reputable sources praised Gailey.  I've still seen the odd "oh not this guy" stuff here and there.  The majority definitely like the possibility, but more naysayers than I expected.

With Adam Gase not getting a head coaching job maybe we should go after him.

It would not shock me whatsoever if that is why the Gailey hiring hasn't happened yet. Many expected Gase to get a head coaching job. With the falcons locking up Kyle Shannahan and keying in on Dan Quinn, it doesn't look like it is going to happen for him this year. I'd love to have Gailey but IMHO, Gase is the better coach for the modern day NFL. ESPECIALLY if you want to develop a QB.

It would not shock me whatsoever if that is why the Gailey hiring hasn't happened yet. Many expected Gase to get a head coaching job. With the falcons locking up Kyle Shannahan and keying in on Dan Quinn, it doesn't look like it is going to happen for him this year. I'd love to have Gailey but IMHO, Gase is the better coach for the modern day NFL. ESPECIALLY if you want to develop a QB.

That would be pretty sweet!

Mid-Season Gase was in my top 3 for our inevitable Head Coach Vacancy. Harbaugh and Bowles were the other two. If we could nab two of those three, I'll be over the moon lol.

They are off to such a good start this offseason. The O\C is so important so it is imperative that they get it right.

I am okay with Gailey because I love the idea of having an ex head coach on the staff. But if Bowles is as close to Parcells as some reports indicate, maybe he has him as a resource. Just want to make sure Bowles doesn't make the same mistakes that Rex did.

Rave reviews from Bill Cowher. Give me a break, the guy had Gailey on his staff years ago, of course he's gonna praise him.

We'll see how this shakes out. Maybe we have better options otherwise this wouldn't make much sense. I don't see how Gailey could be the one opting out, as in going somewhere else instead.

Mid-Season Gase was in my top 3 for our inevitable Head Coach Vacancy. Harbaugh and Bowles were the other two. If we could nab two of those three, I'll be over the moon lol.

That would be pretty sweet if we get Gase as our OC to go along with Bowles as our HC. This is a very important decision, hope Bowles gets the guy he wants and more importantly that it works out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Archived