Report: NFL investigating whether Patriots purposely deflated footballs during win over Colts

CM28

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/report_nfl_investigating_whether_patriots_purposly.html

Report: NFL investigating whether Patriots purposely deflated footballs during win over Colts

-baba757cded253ba.JPG

10515944.pngBy Eliot Shorr-Parks | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on January 19, 2015 at 1:24 AM, updated January 19, 2015 at 2:01 AM

The New England Patriots' win over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday in the AFC Championship game might come at a cost.

According to Indianapolis WTHR.com reporter Bob Kravitz, the NFL is looking into whether the Patriots "deflated footballs" that were used during the game.

Kravitz reports that at one point during the Patriots' 45-7 win, the officials had to take a football and weigh it.

The NFL rulebook on the official website has no mention of how much a ball should weigh.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials' locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

2011 rulebook, however, lists the specific required dimensions.

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

If the league finds the balls were below the league mandated weight, the Patriots could be docked a draft pick.

The Patriots are not new to controversy, as they were caught videotaping the defensive hand signals of the New York Jets in 2007.

After an investigation, the NFL took the Patriots first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, as well as fined head coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000.

If the Patriots are again caught breaking the rules, it will only further the reputation they have built among some players in the NFL, especially Eagles cornerback Cary Williams.

"They are cheaters," Williams said of the Patriots back in training camp. "They are."

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really makes the team and the coach and the owner and the league and the commish and the integrity of the game look really really really bad. But of course none of that matters to the Pats fans and to the team, only the Pats making it to the big game does. If they win that game irreparable damage will be done to the game of professional football. Again, by the Patriots again, and by Bill Belichick again and by Bob Kraft again

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials' locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

As much as I would normally like to jump on  this bandwagon and beat up the Pats and I can understand how tampering with the balls can give one QB an advantage or more strongly, put one at a disadvantage, I find it amazing that the NFL doesn't supply ALL of the game balls. 

This is a ridiculously easy fix that doesn't exactly cost a lot of money. Is this league that ******* cheap? $7 billion + in annual revenue and you can't afford 36 footballs?

As much as I would normally like to jump on  this bandwagon and beat up the Pats and I can understand how tampering with the balls can give one QB an advantage or more strongly, put one at a disadvantage, I find it amazing that the NFL doesn't supply ALL of the game balls. 

This is a ridiculously easy fix that doesn't exactly cost a lot of money. Is this league that ******* cheap? $7 billion + in annual revenue and you can't afford 36 footballs?

If there wasn't any difference then why would they do it then? Just one more little thing that they do, because as Tom Brady sez "read the rulebook" . Who knows what other little tricks they pulled that we have no idea about? Does any Jets fan here doubt for an instant that the Patriots monitor every single transmission between coaches and players' helmets? With all of those MIT nerd/geniuses up there...

The league supplies all the game balls, 3 dozen ball get delivered to the umps locker room. They are checked and delivered to each teams sidelines. in Addition 12 balls are marked with a K, 6 per sideline. A ball marked with a  K can only be used for kickoffs.   I don't know if the K is printed or sharpie or what.  Edit the balls marked with a k can be used for punts also.

So a ball that's missing 5 cubic inches of AIR will WEIGH discernibly less?  Really?   How about putting the ball underwater and measuring the volume it displaces?  How about conducting a test satisfies people who didn't flunk science class?

In other news:

-NFL referees will now check you for cancer by weighing your shoes.

-NFL referees will now analyze your finances by measuring the thickness of your toenails.

when you boil all the information down to a stock what you're left with is this; If it makes no difference then WHY DO IT? We ALL already know the answer to that question the crux of it though is who will be honest and admit that something is wrong. I'm willing to bet that 99.5% of all Patriots fans will say no, nothing was done that was or is NOT "wrong". As for the other .05% they will use the patman defense of "it was just a case of the wrong balls being put in the wrong bags"

The league supplies all the game balls, 3 dozen ball get delivered to the umps locker room. They are checked and delivered to each teams sidelines. in Addition 12 balls are marked with a K, 6 per sideline. A ball marked with a  K can only be used for kickoffs.   I don't know if the K is printed or sharpie or what.  Edit the balls marked with a k can be used for punts also.

Jeez. I was actually defending the Pats. Now you provide a moronic defense that flies in the face of the rulebook quote I posted in the very post you responded to. :face:  READ: The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials' locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

That is a quote from the NFL rulebook. The refs only supply the kicking balls. 

The Pats are cheating ****s and their fans are idiots whose knee jerk reaction is to make sh*t up to defend them. 

Of course they did it. They cheat 100 different ways in small fashion. When they get busted, their defense is always "we didn't do it but it didn't help us much or at all anyway" and they mock critics as having sour grapes. But add up all these small cheats, most of which are never uncovered, and it results in a big advantage.

So a ball that's missing 5 cubic inches of AIR will WEIGH discernibly less?  Really?   How about putting the ball underwater and measuring the volume it displaces?  How about conducting a test satisfies people who didn't flunk science class?

In other news:

-NFL referees will now check you for cancer by weighing your shoes.

-NFL referees will now analyze your finances by measuring the thickness of your toenails.

It could have a major effect on the opposing QB's accuracy. Luck was uncharacteristically inaccurate in the first half of yesterday's game. Although based on what we saw we can chalk that up mostly the pressure the Pats were getting and their coverage, he did have some throws that just appeared off that he usually makes. 

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 5h5 hours ago

RT @bkravitz: Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

Knowing our luck and gooddell being in tank for pats, don't bet against a scenario where pats are "punished" by being forced to forfeit the free pick the league forces us to give them for "tampering" :Nuts:

I never understood how the first allegations of cheating did not get people banned for life. Say what you want about baseball - but they would not have just given a slap on the wrist for influencing the outcome of major series/games.

Archived