Chan Gailey named new offensive cord per nyj

talontsi194

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets know they got crap at QB and are not confident that they can significantly upgrade that position so they did the smart thing and hired an OC who's done more with less.

If Jets had a better QB situation they would've gone a different route for OC.

I dunno what to make of this guy yet. He doesn't have a great HC resume, his OC resume is mediore. Hoping for the best.

The million dollar question is, why was this guy hired by Kansas City as an OC and than demoted and lost his OC role in the preseason the same year he was hired back in 07 or 08?

The Jets know they got crap at QB and are not confident that they can significantly upgrade that position so they did the smart thing and hired an OC who's done more with less.

If Jets had a better QB situation they would've gone a different route for OC.

Really? So Bowles knew last yr he was going to be the Jets HC when he reached out to Gailey? Interesting.

How is Gailey any different from Shotty, Sparano and Morningwhig?

Shotty: inexperienced play caller/OC, wrong guy to nuture a rookie QB as was Sanchez

Sparano: Never was an O/C in his past

Morningwhig: Many will argue Andy Reid was the true brains behind the Philly offense

Although hoping  that the Jets were going hire a head coach with actual head coaching experience, i think the addition of Gailey satisfies that necessity. From what i've read about him, most players that have played for him have nothing but good things to say about him.

Maccagnan sure loves his coffee lol the few pictures and videos I've seen he always has a coffee in his hand.  On the otherhand, not to get too excited but it's night and day to the way Idzik sounded.  I hear confidence and real plan with this guy, looking back Idzik sounded way in over his head.  But hey two years from now we might be flying "fire Mike Maccagnan" signs who knows.  I'm excited right now though!

Maccagnan sure loves his coffee lol the few pictures and videos I've seen he always has a coffee in his hand.  On the otherhand, not to get too excited but it's night and day to the way Idzik sounded.  I hear confidence and real plan with this guy, looking back Idzik sounded way in over his head.  But hey two years from now we might be flying "fire Mike Maccagnan" signs who knows.  I'm excited right now though!

As long time Jets fans.... we all should have-- " High Hopes"  for our team.  Just dreaming that  all the new coaches and staff are on the same page and

we don't get super mistake- prone for the first few games.   13 men on the field,  etc.

btw--  anybody hear anything our Special Teams coach..?      is McGaughy gone..?

Bill Walsh couldn't help Geno.

I'll live with gailey, but if they trot Geno out there I'll sh-t ... He's a disgrace

Why oh why oh why are we talking about saving Geno? Making Geno serviceable? None of this can be done

I read somewhere that Geno Smith was the only QB in the NFL last year to post a perfect QB rating in a game. To risk being labeled a Geno lover, the guy does have physical talent. He's fast, has a good arm, he just makes some really bad decisions - mostly regarding protecting the football. But there's some raw material there to work with.

And there needs to be, because the reality is that there aren't a lot of options out there at QB to replace him. You bring in the best vet you can find, supplement that with a draft pick, and hope thru genuine competition some cream rises to the top. Geno is gonna be in the mix.

I like the fact that Gailey has given some mediocre to poor QBs their best seasons. He's proven capable of getting more out of less. As a veteran coach, he's a smart hire for Bowles to run the other side of the ball. As a former head coach, he provides a nice sounding board for our rookie head coach. I wasn't excited when I first heard his name, but I've definitely warmed to him and I'm glad that they finally closed the deal.

If it is coffee.

I guess Gailey is the safer choice over Gase who was just a glorified puppet under Manning in Denver.

Agreed. I think I've arrived at the conclusion that Gailey is the type of coach that can create a system QB, while most of the other options at OC rely on having a great QB in order to produce. Probably the better scenario for us, since we don't have a "guy" yet. 

I'd love to see Gailey designing an offense for someone better than Thigpen, Fiedler or Fitzpatrick. 

Galley will be loved for about the 1st 5 games, be questioned by the 2nd 5 games and then vilified for the rest of the year just like every other oc this team has had for years.

Disagree.  Paul Hackett was despised from day 1.

TOJ Film Room – Chan Gailey’s, Offense Part 1

12 111111cgailey_buf.jpg

By Mike "Tiny" Nolan

January 22, 2015

The New York Jets have officially announced Chan Gailey as the team’s next Offensive Coordinator. This may seem like a strange hire. Gailey hasn’t coached since 2012 and his Head Coaching stints were nothing, if not underwhelming.  Even so, many around the league consider Gailey to be a strong offensive mind. TOJ’s Dalbin Osorio took a look at Gailey’s career here. Today, Mike Nolan dives into the film to see what Jets fans can expect from Gailey’s system. In Part 1, Mike takes a look at Gailey’s overall offensive philosophy…

Philosophy

The Jets are in the middle of a cold streak of Offensive Coordinators. Watching Marty Mornhinweg’s offense the past two seasons was equally as frustrating as his two predecessors. One major gripe with Martyball is that there didn’t seem to be a fundamental philosophy or system behind what he was doing. He would go away from things when they were working (ahem, Chris Ivory). He would immediately start digging in his bag of tricks when he was on the goal line. And I don’t know how many 3 and outs we had to watch where he was spread on 1st Down, Double Tight on 2nd down, and in the Wildcat on 3rd Down. On the surface, Chan Gailey seems to be of a different mindset.

Many have mentioned Gailey’s ability to adapt to his players, running a variety of “systems” at his many stops in both College and the Pros. More recently, his system has followed a basic philosophy to get the most out of his players. That is to spread out, often with 4 WRs, to identify and take advantage of mismatches created by space and personnel in both the pass and running game. This was most prevalent at Georgia Tech and Buffalo and may have started to develop as far back as his days with Pittsburgh in the 1990s.

The Spread Offense

The basic concept of the Spread Offense is to dictate personnel to the defense and make offensive reads easier based on how the defense responds. Simply put, if teams decide to play base personnel against a 4 WR set, then the offense generally has an advantage through the air. If the defense decides to play a sub package with more defensive backs, the offense generally has an advantage running the football.  The offense can find personnel mismatches or they can identify alignment mismatches.  Whether its the Air Raid, Run and Shoot, or Spread Option offenses, this is the basic concept that spread offenses use to pile up points.

Some would consider Chan Gailey somewhat of an innovator in that he fully embraced the spread as his base offense. Most teams in the NFL used some spread formations and concepts, but generally opted to maintain Pro-Style formations as their base due to the speed in the NFL. Gailey was one of the rare NFL coaches who chose to run the Spread as his base formation and proved that it could be successful.

In the first screenshot, the Bills line up in a Spread set with 3 Receivers to the top of the screen. The Raiders are in a nickel package with 2 Deep Safeties and only 6 in the box.

Gailey-1-300x172.png

Tight End Scott Chandler motions into the backfield. The Raiders do not adjust and keep 6 in the box. With Chandler in the backfield, the Bills have 6 blockers. The Raiders are out flanked inside, a clear advantage for Fred Jackson and the run game.

Gailey-2-300x178.png

Gailey-3-300x167.png

xAfxsfG.gif

Against the Patriots, the Bills are in a 5 WR set with Fred Jackson split out to the bottom of the screen. This is something Gailey does a lot of with his backs. He split out both Jackson and CJ Spiller often and would have them on the field together a lot. Notice how far off the corner is playing. As soon as Fitzpatrick sees blitz coming, he should identify Man Coverage. As far off as the corner was playing, Fitzpatrick knows he should have Jackson wide open on the underneath route. The Bills put the Patriots in a bad defense and they took advantage by putting a playmaker in space for the long touchdown.

Gailey-4-300x190.png

2yKT8oT.gif

In both clips Gailey took advantage of mismatches by alignment for huge gains. Sometimes it is by play call and with tendencies they are seeing from the defense. Other times, it could be from changes on the fly based on how the defense lines up. Because of the spacing of the offense, advantages are much easier to identify both on the field and from the sideline. This is where Gailey wins as an Offensive Coordinator. Instead of doing things with no rhyme or reason, he is going to take what the defense gives him as often as he can.

I read somewhere that Geno Smith was the only QB in the NFL last year to post a perfect QB rating in a game. To risk being labeled a Geno lover, the guy does have physical talent. He's fast, has a good arm, he just makes some really bad decisions - mostly regarding protecting the football. But there's some raw material there to work with.

And there needs to be, because the reality is that there aren't a lot of options out there at QB to replace him. You bring in the best vet you can find, supplement that with a draft pick, and hope thru genuine competition some cream rises to the top. Geno is gonna be in the mix.

I like the fact that Gailey has given some mediocre to poor QBs their best seasons. He's proven capable of getting more out of less. As a veteran coach, he's a smart hire for Bowles to run the other side of the ball. As a former head coach, he provides a nice sounding board for our rookie head coach. I wasn't excited when I first heard his name, but I've definitely warmed to him and I'm glad that they finally closed the deal.

Geno has the tools to be a good QB, and to put it together.  He's 23 years old, the benching last year helped him, young QB's who are thrown to the fire go through a lot of ups and downs.  Teams need to stop rushing QB's to the fire, they need to sit and soak the pro game in from the sideline for a period of time.

Geno's finish in the final 5 games was big for him, and hopefully big for this team going forward.

Galley will be loved for about the 1st 5 games, be questioned by the 2nd 5 games and then vilified for the rest of the year just like every other oc this team has had for years.

This is a true statement that just proves how most fans don't know as much about the Xs and Os of football as they think they do.   

I agree.... Problem is do we waste a year on him again? When do we pull the plug? he absolutely has raw talent but his head seems to be not there at times.

I agree.... Problem is do we waste a year on him again? When do we pull the plug? he absolutely has raw talent but his head seems to be not there at times.

The Jets have to do whatever they can at the QB position but, unfortunately, there's not a lot they can do. There are no big free agents on the market. No great players available in a trade. The top two QBs in the draft are likely to be gone by their pick, and each of them comes with a few question marks, anyway.

With that said, you bring in the best vet you can get, draft one as high as the second round, and have an open competition. If Geno wins that competition, you play him. If he's still not the guy at that point, you try again next year.

The team is only stuck with him until they find someone better. Or they really just give up, as was the case with Sanchez. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

The Jets have to do whatever they can at the QB position but, unfortunately, there's not a lot they can do. There are no big free agents on the market. No great players available in a trade. The top two QBs in the draft are likely to be gone by their pick, and each of them comes with a few question marks, anyway.

With that said, you bring in the best vet you can get, draft one as high as the second round, and have an open competition. If Geno wins that competition, you play him. If he's still not the guy at that point, you try again next year.

The team is only stuck with him until they find someone better. Or they really just give up, as was the case with Sanchez. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Agree in spirit....  but Im tired of wasting 2nd round picks on a QB.   We have wasted so many 2nd roundpicks the last 5 years. Clemens, Geno, Vlad, Hill.  But unfortunately you are right.  Id simply rather (maybe) use a 2nd on a more solid prospect at Guard, tackle, WR. We have so many needs.  I like bringing in Matt Moore or any vet and using all picks to shore up our team.

Agree in spirit....  but Im tired of wasting 2nd round picks on a QB.   We have wasted so many 2nd roundpicks the last 5 years. Clemens, Geno, Vlad, Hill.  But unfortunately you are right.  Id simply rather (maybe) use a 2nd on a more solid prospect at Guard, tackle, WR. We have so many needs.  I like bringing in Matt Moore or any vet and using all picks to shore up our team.

I hear you, that's why I said as high as... Just bringing in a Matt Moore type guy isn't going to cut it (and last time Moore was a free agent, he had no interest in leaving Miami for a starting opportunity). Not having a fourth round pick (if they keep Harvin) hurts. Be interesting to see if Maccagnan tries to trade down an acquire more picks. I think the #6 overall might be a wasteland, but trading down in the second might be a real possibility - unless they like a QB there! Lol.

They need more in here than merely the best of the scrap heap that is the free agent QB market, though. That's for sure.

Archived