Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

Funny, the Pats fans were quick to defend the allegations, but since the release of information that 11 of the balls were found to be deflated they haven't shown up.

didnt defend any allegations, and i been here (check the other threads).

none of this affects me, i'm laughing at the whole thang, and reading the jet fans comments makes it even funnier. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's one major question left: if the ball handler, a NE employee by the way, manipulated it in a way that the Patriots were much much more likely to get the underinfllated balls and Indy to NOT get them, well the NFL would then be in a very large quandry because that is something that could materially affect the game. They will so want to sweep this under the rug, but they can't. Personally I might forfeit the victory for the Patriots and then probably send Indy (who may not want to go). So, since it is unlikely that happens I would suspend Bellichick for the season starting now, and fine Kraft whatever the maximum allowable fine there is.

There's one major question left: if the ball handler, a NE employee by the way, manipulated it in a way that the Patriots were much much more likely to get the underinfllated balls and Indy to NOT get them, well the NFL would then be in a very large quandry because that is something that could materially affect the game. They will so want to sweep this under the rug, but they can't. Personally I might forfeit the victory for the Patriots and then probably send Indy (who may not want to go). So, since it is unlikely that happens I would suspend Bellichick for the season starting now, and fine Kraft whatever the maximum allowable fine there is.

Brady should be suspended as well. He should not be rewarded by allowed to play in the Super Bowl

I will guarantee that the only people to take the fall will be the some random kid as the ball boy, who is going to get offered a good amount of money to fall on the sword and say that he did this independently.  I think with spygate, the issue was that the guy who did it was no longer with the team or had been fired and thus the Pats couldn't really mend the relationship.  This guy still works there, and they are going to get him to fall on it.  

Bellichek will get a fine, the team will be fined, and some BS rule change about how all balls will now be handled by the league so this will never happen again.  

The other owners will sign off on it, because any hint of serious cheating at this juncture taints the sports biggest revenue source, and that hurts their pockets as well.  There is almost no way the NFL can punish the Pats without hurting themselves in the long run, hence the "disappointment and frustration" because they are caught between a rock and a hard place.  The only way this gets blown up to the point where the NFL has to do something is if whoever did this, actually comes out and says "So and So specifically told me to do this".  Until then, expect nothing.  

Saying all that, I hope Seattle crushes them, and they not only lose their picks, but they get a significant fine that actually affects their salary cap, and not just an accounting error for Kraft.  

I believe the colts use their 12 balls given to them while New England uses their own 12 . Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would Indy not want to go? They chased the SB all year like everybody else (except the Jets). Goodell should've alerted Indy of the possibility already. 

If this were the Olympics and you get busted cheating in a semi-final, you don't advance to the final and pay the price later. You're done immediately, it's over.

That's how it should work here. The score doesn't matter. Indy played by the rules, they deserve a free pass to the SB by default. 

The guys over at pats fans are all physics experts now. Funny sh*t. Payton set the precedent, if guilty Bill should be suspended for the entire season next year

Some Saints players got banned for their involvement with Bountygate:

On May 2, 2012, the NFL suspended four then-current or former Saints players for their involvement in the bounty scandal:

Goodell said that while a large number of players took part in the program, he chose to suspend those players who "were in leadership positions at the Saints.

Brady should be suspended as well. There is no way he didn't know.

didnt defend any allegations, and i been here (check the other threads).

none of this affects me, i'm laughing at the whole thang, and reading the jet fans comments makes it even funnier.

No offense but these are the same comments coming from everywhere across the league. Not just Jets boards/fans. I think it's too bad because the Pats would have won last week regardless but it's tough to argue they prepare for the worst in weird and unusual ways. Fact that this is now twice being slapped with cheating, if all holds true, really ugly and unfortunate for any Pats fan. I feel bad that you guys can't just celebrate a victory in peace.

I particularly liked this quote from the ESPN article (bolded emphasis is mine):

Special teams captain Matthew Slater said the Patriots "try to do things the right way. We work hard at our jobs, our professions, to be successful and it's unfortunate that things like this come up, but that's life, that's the world we live in."

It's really not that hard to do things the right way.  But, I guess Goodell will give them credit because they try to and just pat them on the back and plead with them not to do it again.

Heard on Sirius NFL radio yesterday that Indy first noticed it last time they played NE. They forced a couple TOs and both footballs felt soft/under inflated. So when it happened again this time, Indy was expecting it.

If you want to send a message than you suspend Belichik and Brady for the SB. It's under his watch and Brady has to check all the footballs pregame. Both to blame.

Don't let them play for another SB if they really cheated. Suspending them next year does nothing really in my opinion if they just get to be at the SB this year and win it.

well 11 is definitely not a coincidence. sure as sh*t cheaters. cheated in the ravens game. cheated in this game. cheated with cameras. just a team of cheaters. patriots will never be considered a dynasty, just a bunch of cheaters like barry bonds, mark McGwire, roger Clemens. the sad part is they are good enougj to play by the rules, but they are egotistical, arrogant pieces of sh*t

Can't send the colts, half their guys have probably smoked half a dozen seasons-over-blunts by now

The arrogance on this Pats team is crazy.

Under inflated balls in the rain. That is such a big advantage in rainy conditions. Who knows what type of turnovers could have occurred.

Hannibal Lector arrogance.

At first I was elated reading the news update they found 11 deflated balls. Now I just feel sick to my stomach. No wonder Brady found the fountain of youth...this has been going on for years..

What a disgrace. This is in mainstream media now, lots of kids and parents talking about it. Lessons need to be taught. Punishment should be severe including the resignation of BB and the likely retirement of TB. Patriots should lose a couple picks.

Nightmare scenario for Goodell now. Two weeks before the Super Bowl and this is the only thing anyone is going to talk about. If he suspends Belichick for the Super Bowl, it basically kills the game, but if the Pats go in there and win it, it's going to be asterisked for eternity.

Imo, I think the move is to go out there today and announce a million dollar fine with the promise that the investgation is still ongoing, then a week after the game you announce that Belichick is suspended one year.

Nightmare scenario for Goodell now. Two weeks before the Super Bowl and this is the only thing anyone is going to talk about. If he suspends Belichick for the Super Bowl, it basically kills the game, but if the Pats go in there and win it, it's going to be asterisked for eternity.

Imo, I think the move is to go out there today and announce a million dollar fine with the promise that the investgation is still ongoing, then a week after the game you announce that Belichick is suspended one year.

I don't even think that will help. This game is tainted no matter what Goodell tries to do. People are now going to question every game the Pats have played this year.

Archived