Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

Perfect punishment is to be locked in a small room with you for a few days

Really? That's the best you could come up with? Do you feel alright? You are usually so much more creative in your insults than this. JI is dead so you can phone it in now, is that it?

Unacceptable young man. Unacceptable. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you actually got caught and got your hands slapped and there is a lot more to lose now.  If he was directly behind it then he is no genius but a total dumbass for putting the team in jeopardy.

he is behind this,,ask any REAL experienced honest Pats fan and they sadly feel it in their gut,,,trust me

1000% agree. That's why it's so mind boggling and what also leads me to believe personally that it's not the first time they've done this.

Right. And if they tampered with the balls used against the Colts, why wouldn't they have done the same against the Ravens? And how big of an influence would have been needed to create a 4-point swing in the final score?

Great quote by Pats ST captain:

Special-teams captain Matthew Slater said the Patriots "try to do things the right way. We work hard at our jobs, our professions, to be successful and it's unfortunate that things like this come up, but that's life, that's the world we live in."

LOL yeah it's the world we live in. Unfortunate that this thing just happened. That's life. What can you do? These things just come up out of nowhere sometimes.

Great quote by Pats ST captain:

Special-teams captain Matthew Slater said the Patriots "try to do things the right way. We work hard at our jobs, our professions, to be successful and it's unfortunate that things like this come up, but that's life, that's the world we live in."

LOL yeah it's the world we live in. Unfortunate that this thing just happened. That's life. What can you do? These things just come up out of nowhere sometimes.

I think the most telling part in that quote is that they "try to do things the right way" as though it's something that's so difficult to do. 

So a HC going to the SUper Bowl exposed right before the biggest game of the season. NFL is caught in a bind. They have to punish BB to the fullest extent of football fans their clients will protest. But if they do now it will dampen the enthusiasm for the game because the Pats are in it. If they wait till after the game than the main topic leading upto the Super Bowl is not the game but DeflateGate. Which will dampen the enthusiasm for the game because the Pats are in it.

Its catch 22. And right now the commish would be seething.

Do you think a cheater WOULDN'T LIE? This guy is such a known micromanager of every aspect of his team that he not only HAD to know he had to give approval.

Of course he'd lie, but better to say "league issue can't say/pending matter" or something along those lines.  Freezing for a few seconds and then saying "I hadn't heard about this before today" is just one more thing for the league to roast him for.  Commish does not want to suspend BB, but lies on top of lies are going to make it harder for him to justify taking a pick and a few bucks.

OK Tex... put your money where your mouth is.  

What punishment do you predict that the NFL will levy against the Cheats?

a. Significant Fine

b. Forfeiture of draft pick(s)

c. both of the above

d. Suspension of one or more coaches

e. none

f. other

If the NFL has concrete proof (why haven't we seen the results of the Colts balls?) that the Pats were directly responsible for the deflated balls, I wouldn't be surprised that the following would happen: 

Belichick suspended immediatley (including for the Super Bowl) for one year.

Pats to lose multiple draft picks, including at least one 1st rounder.

Kraft to be fined anywhere between $3MM-$5MM.

Nightmare scenario for Goodell now. Two weeks before the Super Bowl and this is the only thing anyone is going to talk about. If he suspends Belichick for the Super Bowl, it basically kills the game, but if the Pats go in there and win it, it's going to be asterisked for eternity.

Imo, I think the move is to go out there today and announce a million dollar fine with the promise that the investgation is still ongoing, then a week after the game you announce that Belichick is suspended one year.

lol what

I think the most telling part in that quote is that they "try to do things the right way" as though it's something that's so difficult to do. 

Haha give them a medal. The Pats try so hard not to cheat but it's very hard to avoid. Life is unfair sometimes like that.

If the NFL has concrete proof (why haven't we seen the results of the Colts balls?) that the Pats were directly responsible for the deflated balls, I wouldn't be surprised that the following would happen: 

LOL yeah because Goodell has never destroyed/hid/buried evidence of Pat's wrongdoing in the past

The only thing that will get the Pats attention is DQing them. Drastic? Yes. Anything else, in the Pats eyes, will be considered "the cost of doing business."

Think about it. Would the Jets pay a 1st round pick and 1M for a Super Bowl? Hell yeah.

So a HC going to the SUper Bowl exposed right before the biggest game of the season. NFL is caught in a bind. They have to punish BB to the fullest extent of football fans their clients will protest. But if they do now it will dampen the enthusiasm for the game because the Pats are in it. If they wait till after the game than the main topic leading upto the Super Bowl is not the game but DeflateGate. Which will dampen the enthusiasm for the game because the Pats are in it.

Its catch 22. And right now the commish would be seething.

Today Warner Wolf reported that the NFL will issue its report this weekend. 

Think about it. Would the Jets pay a 1st round pick and 1M for a Super Bowl? Hell yeah.

I think just about any team would, that's why, as you said, it's not a real deterrent for the cheating.

They'll get off light for this.  Probably a fine that to the average person would be staggering but is just a drop in the bucket for the millionaires that would end up paying it.  Goodell has proved several times over now that his investigative prowess and discipline process is, at best, lacking, and that will be the case again this time.

thank you for responding.

Then Belly wont be suspended. They wouldnt announce news like that week before SB, takes away too much attention. It would wait till after SB.

So it must be draft picks/fine, Belly stays. As JGBs said: Some low level employee will take bullet for doing on his own.

Brad Johnson just admitted he paid someone to mess w the balls before the 2000 super bowl. Everyone is killing bellichek for this.

Bellichek might have no clue this happen. Brady could of just told the ball boy to do it and bellichdk never even knew.

Brady is the culprit here not bellichek.

If 4 Saints players got suspended for Bountygate, then some Patriot players should be suspended for Deflategate. Brady and Stork must have known because the handle the ball every snap. They should be suspended for 16 games. Gronk and Edelman probably knew as well and should get an 8 game suspension.

You need to be a little more patient.

You ever try defending the likes of Hitler and bin Laden?

Takes time to respond.

To Jets fans:

Like I told a friend, trust me, my best friend at work is die hard Pats fan,,he isnt happy or proud right now. He is pissed and said 'if they find they did it, punish us, I dont want another freakin asterisk'.

He also mentioned 'the 2 weeks before a SB is for fun for the fans of both teams, not a time to be defending potential BS'

Give out Pats friends some credit, they aint blind.....

This is not something that decided the game. If Luck can't play with a normal ball in bad weather he doesn't belong in the league. The Pats are far better than the Colts. Everyone knew it before the game ever happened. What bothers me is that they had the balls to do this in the first place. If you pull something like this, in this type of game.... you are doing a lot more that hasn't been discovered. And it's not that they had the balls to try this, like the saying "if you're not cheating you're not trying". It's that they believe that they are untouchable... which remains to be seen. Belichick wouldn't try this stuff unless he thought Kraft had Goodell in his pocket. That's the real issue.

Honestly, just suspending him for the SB and docking the draft picks would be OK for me. I couldn't care less about any fines, Kraft has more money than God.

On second thought, if you want to get Krafts attention.... Make him forfeit his revenue sharing in 2014. That's about $190 million... Send it all to charity like normal fines in the NFL.

Bet he fires Belichick and changes his cheating ways after that.

All that really matters to me is that Belichick is shamed by not being on the sideline on SB Sunday.

Oh and what I expect to happen is "no conclusive evidence of who was involved and no reason to believe this was more than a simple error." I expect a fine of less than a 100K for the "oversight"

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.

Anybody recall how the Refs bent Seattle over in SB37?

The Pats better bring Vaseline because there is no way the NFL wants them to win this SB.

Hilarious victim mentality you and the fan base has. NFL would love to see Brady get a 4th ring, give me a break with this nonsense.

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.

Beat me to it. It keeps getting better.

There is no way of knowing if how things would have played out if the balls were properly inflated. Sure the game ended up being a blow out, but we all know how momentum can change in a game. If Brady's balls (hehe) were properly inflated he may have missed an early 3rd down pass or gotten intercepted giving Luck good field position. Everything would have changed.

Colts defense couldn't stop the run, colts lose that game no doubt, but cheating is cheating regardless of the final score.

lol, this is getting better and better.  They were probably warned by the league just like spygate.

Goodell's public statement:

"After thoroughly inspecting the football's used last weekend by the Patriots and Colts, it was determined that 11 out of 12 balls the Patriots provided were underinflated in accordance with NFL rules.  It was also verified and determined that 11 out of the 12 balls used by the Colts were underinflated as well. 

After discussions with 9 highly renowned, unbiased scientists from the World Meterology Consortium, it has been concluded that the cold, rainy weather was solely responsible for the under-inflated footballs used in that game.

Therefore, the NFL has determined no violations of league rules has ever occured.

Enjoy the great upcomming Super Bowl."

Report: Ravens had concerns about kicking balls at New England
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 7:02 AM EST
ravens.jpg?w=216AP

With the Patriots under investigation for using deflated balls in a blowout win over the Colts, another vague — and far more confusing — accusation of ball deflation has emerged.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS, “ome of the Baltimore Ravens believe kicking balls used in their playoff game at New England were slightly under-inflated.”  La Canfora also writes that “sources said some on Baltimore’s sideline believed there may have been irregularities with the kicking balls,” and that because “Baltimore’s kicking and punting units were not getting their normal depth and distance, and some believed the balls they were using may have been deflated.”

The story doesn’t contain much more detail than that.  It also fails to address the fact that kicking balls are handled far differently than other balls.

Back in 1999, the NFL took the kicking balls out of the hands of the teams.  Current rules require the referee to open six brand-new footballs before every game, marking them as kicking balls.  Those balls are used separately and apart from the balls used by each team’s offense.

So it’s not as if an underinflated ball possibly used by New England’s offense in the divisional playoff game accidentally landed in the hands of Baltimore’s long snapper or holder, which a reader could mistakenly conclude based on a story that doesn’t mention the separate handling of kicking balls.  If the kicking balls were underinflated, they were underinflated for both teams, because they come from the same stash of balls.

Also, it was considerably colder on January 10 for the Ravens-Patriots game (officially, 20 degrees at kickoff), more likely resulting in a natural pressure reduction under the ideal gas law (PV=nRT for the nerds, like me) than on Sunday, when it officially was 51 degrees at kickoff in Foxboro.

Perhaps most importantly, the Ravens have shown no reluctance to articulate possible violations of the rules, as evidenced by coach John Harbaugh’s complaints about New England’s ineligible-eligible receiver trick from the same game.  If the Ravens believed that the Patriots sabotaged kicking balls and then ensured that lower-pressure balls from the same allotment of kicking balls were used by the Ravens and not by the Patriots, the Ravens surely would have said something at the time.

Saying something now via an anonymous leak to a reporter who failed to provide much (or any) context or to apply much (or any) common sense won’t move the needle at a time when it’s easy to pile on the Patriots.  If La Canfora’s report is accurate (and that could be a very large “if”), the Ravens should make a complaint that the kicking balls were underinflated.

Goodell's public statement:

"After thoroughly inspecting the football's used last weekend by the Patriots and Colts, it was determined that 11 out of 12 balls the Patriots provided were underinflated in accordance with NFL rules.  It was also verified and determined that 11 out of the 12 balls used by the Colts were underinflated as well. 

After discussions with 9 highly renowned, unbiased scientists from the World Meterology Consortium, it has been concluded that the cold, rainy weather was solely responsible for the under-inflated footballs used in that game.

Therefore, the NFL has determined no violations of league rules has ever occured.

Enjoy the great upcomming Super Bowl."

I highly doubt the NFL would misspell "upcoming" in their statement. That's just Pats homer talk right there. 

Archived