indygirl4jets

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Ravens had concerns about kicking balls at New England

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 7:02 AM EST

ravens.jpg?w=216

AP

With the Patriots under investigation for using deflated balls in a blowout win over the Colts, another vague — and far more confusing — accusation of ball deflation has emerged.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS, “ome of the Baltimore Ravens believe kicking balls used in their playoff game at New England were slightly under-inflated.” La Canfora also writes that “sources said some on Baltimore’s sideline believed there may have been irregularities with the kicking balls,” and that because “Baltimore’s kicking and punting units were not getting their normal depth and distance, and some believed the balls they were using may have been deflated.”

The story doesn’t contain much more detail than that. It also fails to address the fact that kicking balls are handled far differently than other balls.

Back in 1999, the NFL took the kicking balls out of the hands of the teams. Current rules require the referee to open six brand-new footballs before every game, marking them as kicking balls. Those balls are used separately and apart from the balls used by each team’s offense.

So it’s not as if an underinflated ball possibly used by New England’s offense in the divisional playoff game accidentally landed in the hands of Baltimore’s long snapper or holder, which a reader could mistakenly conclude based on a story that doesn’t mention the separate handling of kicking balls. If the kicking balls were underinflated, they were underinflated for both teams, because they come from the same stash of balls.

Also, it was considerably colder on January 10 for the Ravens-Patriots game (officially, 20 degrees at kickoff), more likely resulting in a natural pressure reduction under the ideal gas law (PV=nRT for the nerds, like me) than on Sunday, when it officially was 51 degrees at kickoff in Foxboro.

Perhaps most importantly, the Ravens have shown no reluctance to articulate possible violations of the rules, as evidenced by coach John Harbaugh’s complaints about New England’s ineligible-eligible receiver trick from the same game. If the Ravens believed that the Patriots sabotaged kicking balls and then ensured that lower-pressure balls from the same allotment of kicking balls were used by the Ravens and not by the Patriots, the Ravens surely would have said something at the time.

Saying something now via an anonymous leak to a reporter who failed to provide much (or any) context or to apply much (or any) common sense won’t move the needle at a time when it’s easy to pile on the Patriots. If La Canfora’s report is accurate (and that could be a very large “if”), the Ravens should make a complaint that the kicking balls were underinflated.

Keep it comin fellas.

Goodell's public statement:

"After thoroughly inspecting the football's used last weekend by the Patriots and Colts, it was determined that 11 out of 12 balls the Patriots provided were underinflated in accordance with NFL rules.  It was also verified and determined that 11 out of the 12 balls used by the Colts were underinflated as well. 

After discussions with 9 highly renowned, unbiased scientists from the World Meterology Consortium, it has been concluded that the cold, rainy weather was solely responsible for the under-inflated footballs used in that game.

Therefore, the NFL has determined no violations of league rules has ever occured.

Enjoy the great upcomming Super Bowl."

Nice pseudo cut & paste job. Too bad you flunked third grade spelling ... lolololol

To Jets fans:

Like I told a friend, trust me, my best friend at work is die hard Pats fan,,he isnt happy or proud right now. He is pissed and said 'if they find they did it, punish us, I dont want another freakin asterisk'.

He also mentioned 'the 2 weeks before a SB is for fun for the fans of both teams, not a time to be defending potential BS'

Give out Pats friends some credit, they aint blind.....

This is overwhelming how most of my friends and co-workers are reacting to it as well. 

No like I said, they have decided as franchise awhile back to cheat and if caught fines/lost draft picks are worth price of SB's. Agree with you, no penalty will stop them unless NFL plays hardball and sends Indy to SB to set a HUGE example.

Not happening. It's too big of a game and there's too much peripheral $ to do something like that. Too many people paid too much money for tickets, airfare, non-refundable hotel rooms at gouge-rates (3-4 night minimums, too). Any game prior to that, while still unprecedented, is possible.

The SB is its own animal.

There isn't a 1/1000 chance of bumping them from the SB, particularly after such a convincing victory. Bumping them punishes a lot of people who have already shelled out a lot of their money on that upcoming game. 99.9% of the people who would be punished by such a move had nothing to do with it and had no idea it was going on.

It won't happen, but it would be nice if the other teams all banded together to force Goodell to do something truly serious about them that will be felt. Any fine is pointless and painless unless they're fining Belichick some outlandish amount like $15 million (which will also never happen).

I don't know what Goodell will do but I'm optimistic it won't be a $25K fine.

Keep it comin fellas.

Okay. 

Report: Colts told NFL of inflation concerns after November game vs. Pats
Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 21, 2015, 12:16 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjGetty Images

One of the key moments of “Inflationgate” came when Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jacksonintercepted Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the second quarter of Sunday’s AFC title game in Foxborough. Per multiple reports, the ball was deemed to feel a little light, and from there, the NFL got involved.

However, a published report Wednesday says the Colts’ suspicions about the inflation of New England’s footballs date back at least to the regular season matchup with New England on November 16.

And again, an interception — two of them, actually — was the catalyst.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Colts notified the NFL about potential under-inflation after safety Mike Adams picked off Brady twice in New England’s 42-20 victory.

In both cases, ESPN reported, Adams took the ball to the sideline as a memento, then gave it to the team’s equipment staff.

It was then, ESPN said, that the inflation of the footballs came into question.

As with the playoff matchup between the clubs, the Patriots were the far superior team in the November meeting. Moreover, the only three turnovers forced by the Colts in these two games came on the interceptions of footballs that purportedly did not feel right.

Nevertheless, we now have another data point regarding the Colts’ curiosity about the Patriots’ footballs.

Real Talk...nobody likes or respects this team in the league. 

John Harbaugh on deflated kicking balls in New England: I chalk it up to being cold
Posted by Josh Alper on January 21, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

One of the reports to emerge after the league opened up their investigation into the Patriots using under-inflated balls during the AFC Championship game alleged that the Ravens also believed their kicking balls were under-inflated during their playoff game in New England the previous week.

The report didn’t mention that kicking balls are not handled by the home team nor why the Ravens didn’t raise an objection at the time, but Ravens coach John Harbaugh took care of that on Wednesday when he was asked for his thoughts on the kicking balls having less air than they should.

“I chalk it up to being cold,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com.

It was 20 degrees at kickoff for the Ravens-Patriots matchup, about 30 degrees cooler than it was last Sunday, and cold air would lead to less pressure inside the ball. Given that and the fact that under-inflated kicking balls would have come from the officials, Harbaugh’s comment should probably be the last word on this angle of the deflated ball story that’s hanging over the league right now.

Source: Footballs were properly checked before Colts-Patriots game
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2015, 11:29 AM EST

130024733_xs1.jpg?w=250Getty Images

With 11 of 12 footballs used by the Patriots in Sunday’s AFC title game reportedly underinflated by two pounds per square inch, several questions remain.  And here are answers to a couple of them.

First, per a league source, the NFL has reviewed the entire process and determined that the balls were properly checked by the officials before the game.  Which means that, when the balls left the possession of the referee, the pressure was at least 12.5 PSI and no more than 13.5 PSI.

Second, as to the fact that the officials didn’t notice anything wrong with the balls while handling them after every play, the source explains that a pressure difference of one or two pounds would not be obvious, if the official is not specifically looking for it.

In this specific case, the NFL indeed became aware of the issue in the first half — as previously pointed out by Bob Glauber of Newsday.  Per the source, the league opted not to stop the game during the first half but to test the balls at halftime, which they did.

Which is when the NFL determined that 11 of the 12 balls were below two pounds below the mandatory minimum PSI of 12.5.

Plenty of other questions remains, but it appears that the NFL has determined that:  (1) the balls were properly inspected before the game; and (2) there’s no reason to believe the officials should have noticed anything unusual.

Keep it comin fellas.

All good, Super Bowl winning teams know how to gain a competitive advantage:

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brad Johnson paid people off to modify footballs ahead of his teams’ 48-21 trouncing of the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, according to a report.

Johnson had trouble gripping wet, cold or out-of-the-box footballs, but he made sure before the game that the 100 footballs that the NFL set aside were scuffed, the Tampa Bay Times reports.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson said. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

Johnson admitted that he spent $7,500 to have the balls altered. A week before, during the NFC Championship game in Philadelphia – where it was a freezing 26 degrees at kickoff – Johnson was forced to use a glove to grip the footballs.

In Super Bowl XXXVII, Johnson completed 18 for 34 passes for 215 yards, with two touchdowns and an interception, while his opponent, Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon, struggled with five interceptions.

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.

Where is this excerpt from?

Not happening. It's too big of a game and there's too much peripheral $ to do something like that. Too many people paid too much money for tickets, airfare, non-refundable hotel rooms at gouge-rates (3-4 night minimums, too). Any game prior to that, while still unprecedented, is possible.

There isn't a 1/1000 chance of bumping them from the SB, particularly after such a convincing victory. Bumping them punishes a lot of people who have already shelled out a lot of their money on that upcoming game. 99.9% of the people who would be punished by such a move had nothing to do with it and had no idea it was going on.

It won't happen, but it would be nice if the other teams all banded together to force Goodell to do something truly serious about them that will be felt. Any fine is pointless and painless unless they're fining Belichick some outlandish amount like $15 million (which will also never happen).

Agreed

In a year with the NFL has had to deal with just about every bad thing imaginable you know the last thing Goodell is going to want to do is go in front of everyone in his state of the game address and have this hanging over his head, especially with the national media who don't cover the NFL on daily basis. It is a worse case scenario and I think they will come down very hard on the Pats.

1) Suspension for Belichick: I would have it for the Super Bowl but I think the NFL will dole out a multi-game suspension starting next season.

2) Major fine

3) Loss of draft picks

All good, Super Bowl winning teams know how to gain a competitive advantage:

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Brad Johnson paid people off to modify footballs ahead of his teams’ 48-21 trouncing of the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, according to a report.

Johnson had trouble gripping wet, cold or out-of-the-box footballs, but he made sure before the game that the 100 footballs that the NFL set aside were scuffed, the Tampa Bay Times reports.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson said. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

Johnson admitted that he spent $7,500 to have the balls altered. A week before, during the NFC Championship game in Philadelphia – where it was a freezing 26 degrees at kickoff – Johnson was forced to use a glove to grip the footballs.

In Super Bowl XXXVII, Johnson completed 18 for 34 passes for 215 yards, with two touchdowns and an interception, while his opponent, Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon, struggled with five interceptions.

Two wrongs make a right?

What's the difference?

The venue, advertisers, and ticketholders were committed long before the two conference champs were determined.

They signed up no matter what teams are playing.

<iframe width="600" height="300" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&siteid=645&omu=http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/645/2015/01/mp3/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.mp3&artist=No Title/Artist&mediaTitle=Tom&osu=http://img.ccrd.clearchannel.com/media/mlib/645/2015/01/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.jpg&overlayImg=http://img.ccrd.clearchannel.com/media/mlib/645/2015/01/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.jpg&startButtonColor=0xA33335&share=http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/media/play/toms-big-balls-25751615/" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe> 

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/media/play/toms-big-balls-25751615/

What this SHOULD engender is every other aspect of the Pats activities should be reviewed/audited to ensure compliance.

Because frankly, I highly doubt a proven cheater like BB limited himself to just underinflated balls. Smoke -> Fire, and I'd bet the Pats cheat in a whole host of ways every week, because they know they can get away with it, and because they know if any ONE method of cheating is discovered, they can dismiss it (lol, underinflated balls, so what, lol, a little taping, so what everyone does it, lol) and they'll skate on the plethora of OTHER cheating they were engaged in that week.

Full, unbiased (i.e. not Goodell's Office) audit of everything.

If the Pats didn't cheat, there is no issue, right? Everything is on the up and up.

The big ones are the extra radio frequencies and communications drop outs. Never proven, but no doubt that's legit too, right?

<iframe width="600" height="300" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&siteid=645&omu=http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/645/2015/01/mp3/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.mp3&artist=No Title/Artist&mediaTitle=Tom&osu=http://img.ccrd.clearchannel.com/media/mlib/645/2015/01/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.jpg&overlayImg=http://img.ccrd.clearchannel.com/media/mlib/645/2015/01/default/tom_s_big_balls_0_1421841397.jpg&startButtonColor=0xA33335&share=http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/media/play/toms-big-balls-25751615/" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

????????

It is not okay because 'others did it' especially when you have a track record of a cheating offense and bending the rules.  All that the Pats have ensured by this is that even if they win the superbowl this year they will STILL have that stigma of never winning a clean super bowl.  Will it matter to the Pat fans themselves or the city?  No, but the team will go down in history as being akin to the steroid era players and a hof QB and Coach will be tainted by it.

I know you're right but I could give a sh*t if the Pats fans are the ones who pay. Hit the franchise where it hurts, their supporters. How many countless other fans have payed over the years for the sh*t this team pulls?

How is that possible when the refs check the balls before the game? 100 balls? Sounds like Brad Johnson got hustled.

The big ones are the extra radio frequencies and communications drop outs. Never proven, but no doubt that's legit too, right?

Don't forget the huge "Jumbo-Tron" screen out in the parking lot that allows only the Pats sideline to see 15 second delay replay. Allows Bellichek to determine whether to challenge or run quick-snap play based on questionable call.

No, the point is all teams do it.

To be fair, the rules have changed since then. Back then, they weren't allowed to scuff up the balls prior to game use. Now they can, Brady and Manning lobbied for that. What they are not allowed to do is deflate them after they've been checked by the officials. 

Archived