Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

Just had some schmuck in my office watch Belichick's PC this morning and come up with the following conclusion: (heavy southern accent) "Well hell, he said he didn't know about it. Maybe he didn't know." 

The guy who said this is a product of the Jacksonville, FL public school system. 

Me: "Yes, because all criminals confess the second they are caught."

Idiot: Blank stare. 

:face:

Had to go out to my car yesterday to grab something and saw a guy in a Pats hat and jacket sitting in waiting room staring up at ESPN.  Stopped to hear what he was saying to the guy next to him and this was his take:

"You know what, I bet it was just some kid who works on the equipment staff trying to be nice and help Brady out"

He was dead serious.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still nothing has been done. Many people are already upset with the sensitivity in the league with unessecary flags and now refs are more frequently than ever throwing terrible calls and losing teams games. If Belicheck gets off the hook, the NFL can lose a lot of money because no matter how bad the Patriots blew the Clots out, people will be mad regardless that there was a sneaky act of disrespect towards the game involved in that win.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/richard-sherman-says-tom-brady-isnt-who-he-seems-to-be/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Richard Sherman fully expects to see Brady in the Super Bowl, despite wild speculation in some circles that Brady or coach Bill Belichick could be suspended for the game.

“Nobody is going to get suspended, nothing is going to happen, they’re going to play this game, whatever they did, the risk-reward was greater,” Sherman said.  “They were trying to suspend Marshawn [Lynch] for gold shoes.  That really affects the game if you suspend Marshawn for gold shoes, but then you got balls being deflated and that’s an issue.”

That’s a very good point.  If the NFL would eject Lynch from a game based on the color of his shoes, why wouldn’t serious action be taken for an affront to the integrity of the game?

Per John Madden, if the balls were intentionally deflated, that request (or directive) had to come from Tom Brady. For obvious reasons. He's the one throwing the ball.

Who else but the starting QB would think of it? Brady is the one player that had to know.

Brady was the reason for it; it was his idea. Who else?

:indifferent0023:

Serious response here, I had always wondered why Cindy played so well in bad weather games, how he roasted Peyton all those yrs, how he torched the bears in a blizzard, I was left wondering...maybe he is that good!!

Well it is very clear to me, Cindy Lou has been doing this for yrs, he has already admitted he likes an under inflated ball. I hope this bars his entry into HOF.  He is no better than Sosa or McGuire or Clemens!!!

Phuck him and entire Pats bandwagon fanbase

agree. I think Brady has had ballboy deflate balls in that 2 hour 'disappear time' home/away his whole career.

IMHO, he he is like steroids now, not Hall worthy

This one is even better via Facebook:

Juno Slater Sorry to deflate your Bellichick bashing -- but here's the science: The physics is consistent with the theory that the footballs were inflated to the correct pressure at an indoor temperature of 70°F, and that the colder outdoor temperature caused lower pressure in the footballs on the field.

The relationship between pressure and temperature is Amontons’ Law, named for the French physicist Guillaume Amontons. (This law is often erroneously credited to the French chemist Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac.) The law states that if the volume and number of molecules of gas remain constant, then the absolute pressure of the gas divided by its absolute temperature is constant. The formula for Amontons’ Law is:

P1 / T1 = P2 / T2

Suppose the footballs were filled to the required pressure of 12.5 psi at a temperature of 70°F.

Because atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi above a total vacuum, the absolute pressure would be 12.5 psi + 14.7 = 27.2 psia. (The abbreviation “psia” means “psi absolute”.)

Because 0°F is 460° above absolute zero, the absolute temperature indoors would have been approximately 70°F + 460° = 530°R. (The “Rankine” scale is the absolute temperature in Fahrenheit units.) If the absolute temperature outdoors was 30°, that would have been 30° + 460° = 490°R.

Now we can plug the numbers into the formula:

27.2 / 530 = P2 / 490

Where P2 is the pressure on the field. In this equation, P2 comes out to 25.1 psia. 25.1 – 14.7 = 10.4 psi, which is 2.1 psi too low, exactly what the league is claiming.

In other words, if the footballs were inflated at a temperature of 70° and then brought to the field where they cooled off to 30°, the temperature change would cause the pressure in the footballs to decrease by 2.1 psi.

If the rules are unclear about whether the footballs need to be inflated and tested AT THE SAME TEMPERATURE as on the field, then it is not clear that the Patriots violated the letter of the rule. Granted, I think the league SHOULD require that the balls be tested under the same conditions (temperature and atmospheric pressure) as on the playing field, but the question of rule-breaking is not what the rule SHOULD say but what it DOES (or DOES NOT) say.

This dude is a Dufus and just trying to sound smart, but has no clue.  Yes, there is a relation between pressure and temperature, but the inverse relationship is based on temperature variation and not volume.  That is the significance of the rule.  Volume remains consistent, yet pressure gradients are altered based on temperature variation.  The pressure of the ball can change from environmental temperatures or radient heat from body temperatures, however when returned to the relative temperature at which they were filled (halftime locker room), becuase the volume of gas inside has not been altered the pressure should normalize to it's original filling margin.  Also, to change a pressure gradient by 2 PSi, it would have to be extreme temperature variation and not a 48 degree day in New England.

Yeah ok. Heavily-paying fans deserve financial loss because Brady and Belichick are cheaters.

I have no love for the Patriots or their fans but that is not an adult way of looking at things. You don't effectively confiscate someone's property, by altering its value, and say, "Meh, f*ck 'em. I don't like them anyway," as justification.

And that is why it won't happen.

The only chance of the league bumping NE came and ended during halftime, before the game was over. It would have been the perfect time. Make an announcement that (in what was still a 10-point game) the Patriots were caught cheating and they therefore forfeit. Baltimore still gets screwed, but it's better than what they did during the game, which was to not so much as penalize them in any way.

Here's what I originally wrote:

What's the difference?

The venue, advertisers, and ticketholders were committed long before the two conference champs were determined.

They signed up no matter what teams are playing.

Your response to the above was "that is untrue."

How is it untrue?

Oh, because you'd rather focus on a tiny percentage of fans who scramble to buy SB tickets during or after the Championship games. 

Your entire argument is based solely on that when in fact what I said holds true for 90+% of the people involved.

Nice try. (rolleyes)

Recall Brady dumped his pregnant girlfriend to bang a supermodel.

The guy looks like a McDonalds burger flipper at the combine and now looks like he lives in the gym. 

Brady is a douchebag. 

But in this Bellicheat is throwing him under the bus. 

Basically Brady is going to play this Super Bowl. The NFL is going to do something but not until after the game.

And then Bellicheat is going to figure out a way to dump Brady's contract and play Garapolo in 2015. That is if he even wants to coach in 2015. 

what is your take on bradys involvement? and/or punishment

It's all about Brady.  As with every QB ever to play the game, it's all about the grip you get on the football.

QB's with smaller hands like the ball underinflated and QB's with larger hands like the ball overinflated.

Unless there is a videotape out there showing Brady actually sticking needles in the balls or the ballboy claiming Brady paid him $100 (Brady's a tight ass) a game to deflate the balls, nothing will ever happen to Brady.

It's all about Brady.  As with every QB ever to play the game, it's all about the grip you get on the football.

QB's with smaller hands like the ball underinflated and QB's with larger hands like the ball overinflated.

Unless there is a videotape out there showing Brady actually sticking needles in the balls or the ballboy claiming Brady paid him $100 (Brady's a tight ass) a game to deflate the balls, nothing will ever happen to Brady.

I understand that QBs like the ball a certain way. But this has made the NFL look bad,and after today Bellicheat is pointing a finger at Brady. There is gonna be some consequence to him, but not until after the game. 

I will also say that the Seahawks are playing this well too. They aren't reveling in it, they are just saying "We don't care." They are not getting caught up in the emotions

Excellent point, every single comment coming from the Seahwks has been perfect.

I wonder if they hired a PR firm to help them because there will always be 1 or 2 dumbasses on a 53-man roster who will blurt out someting stupid.

Pats had nothing to do with this, scientific evidence proves that weather conditions reduce PSI:

The chair of Boston College’s physics department is backing up claims that cold weather could be the reason that some of the footballs used on the field Sunday evening during the New England Patriots’ 45-7 drubbing of the Indianapolis Colts may have been deflated.

"Cold temperature will make a difference, it will lower the pressure," said BC physics professor Michael J. Naughton.

"Today a report came out with, unfortunately, an insufficient amount useful information," Naughton said. "If 11 of 12 footballs were deflated by two pounds, that is totally within the realm of the numbers that you would get in the equation. Weather will certainly deflate the footballs by a pound or two - but it all depends on the details."

And does the good professor offer an explanation for how none of the Colts' balls were under inflated?

WOw...just wow. Beli threw Brady under the bus.

I am not surprised Brady is heavily involved in this. But for Belicheat to try to pull off the "I don't know" routine is interesting to say the least. Now the ball (no pun) is in Brady's court. He can bend over and take it or he can push back. Sheet just got interesting.

Archived