Deflate-Gate \ Patriots Cheating Again Thread: MERGED

indygirl4jets

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There were no apologies and, really, no explanations. Instead, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady basically teamed up and sent the following message to the National Football League: Go ahead and prove it. Until then, we have a Super Bowl to prepare for".

Obviously, the NFL has no evidence that the Pats did anything wrong.

Nothing there folks, time to move on to the big game.

So since it's nothing you think the Pats will be in charge of inflating there own balls for the BIG game?   LOL

The denial strategy is designed to save the personal reputations of Bellichick and Brady but falls far short of the mark as to the Pats' culpability .  Quite simply, no one else could have done it.  According to all reports, the balls were handed over to the Pats and no one else had access to them.

In the civil law, there is a doctrine called "res ipsa loquitur," which is a latin term which means "the thing speaks for itself."  What it means as a legal principle is that where -- as here -- a particular party has exclusive custody and control of something they are the responsible party for it.  That standard applies in negligence cases, which is not exactly the same as here, but c'mon guys, nobody else had access to the balls.  Who else could have done it?

Yet another conspiracy theory by Jets fans.

Wake me up when somebody, anybody, finds some concrete evidence that the Pats tampered with the footballs.

on the most esoteric minutiae of football?

Just this week I've had people tell me all kinds of things about footballs that I never thought of before but the people telling me them were absolutely, 100% sure they were right because it couldn't be any other way. 

I'll admit, my initial response to this (not knowing the rules about how footballs are handled prior to the game) was that playing with the level of inflation would put the road team at a disadvantage because the quarterback would be attempting to throw a ball that wasn't inflated to the level he is accustomed to and that could affect his accuracy. My instinct was completely false. 

But I've had people defend the Pats by claiming the officials would absolutely, unquestionably be able to tell the difference by simply picking the ball up, which is pretty funny in light of Tom Brady claiming he did not notice that the ball was deflated at all (maybe because he always has them deflated to that level?)

The pronouncements that the level of football inflation provides little to no advantage are very reminiscent of Spygate and the claims that the Pats gained no edge from stealing signals. 

Which was a pretty odd defense considering that the person being defended was a football "genius" according to the person doing the defending. Apparently that football "genius" now knew less about football than the person defending him because the football "genius" seemed to think he got an advantage because he did it for close to 10 years according to his own admission. 

I never thought about the inflation levels of footballs prior to Monday morning. I can admit it. I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference between a ball inflated to 10.5 PSI or 25 PSI. I also don't know for sure what impact adding or subtracting air might have. 

All I do know is that its a big enough deal that the NFL feels the need to expressly state in their rules what the proper level of inflation is and that the Patriots' footballs somehow lost air between the time the refs tested them pregame and halftime and the Colts' footballs didn't. Someone in Foxboro is lying. 

Tx said it was a temperature difference on the different sides of the field. :winking0001:

I've gotten some gems from some pats fans over this. They have no problems discrediting everything, but would come up with some crazy "physics" to explained how this happened...here's a gems

We don't know where Indy filled their balls up and to what PSI, but it's been said they filled them up to the upper level.

Except they could have deflated and still been within specifications. Given the temperature and atmospheric pressure of the game, if the Colts had filled their balls to 13.5 PSI at ~70F, they would still have been 12.5 PSI at halftime.

Actually that would make more sense, that means they were deflated naturally at the same rate, or the gauges were faulty so the balls would be under he threshold by the same PSI. Additionally, there are now reports that the balls were only underinflated by 1 PSI which is easily explainable due to weather/game play.

Wake me up when somebody, anybody, finds some concrete evidence that the Pats tampered with the footballs.

Of course it wasn't the Patsies.  It was an alien intervention, fairies, or maybe even paranormal forces.

Pats fans trying to maintain some sense of pride in their teams accomplishments over the last decade is wildly amusing.

I don't think they're having any issues remaining proud.  Only way pride would fade is if they thought cheating was wrong. 

Under inflated balls confer a rather large advantage in terms of not fumbling.  This is well known.

There is zero reason to believe that the Patriots rolled out this strategy for the first time in the AFCCG

Therefore every Patriots game is suspect and not just the games where it was a blowout.  Let's start with the previous week against the Ravens.

The fact of the matter is that the Patriot have never stopped cheating and this is simply the latest chapter in "oops i got caught"

OK

Why is it that this same logic is not applied to the Yankees 28 Championships?

How far back did the roid use start?

I'm with you.  Cookies keeps dissapearing in my house when Im alone and I always get blamed.  I even hide the wrappers in the neighbors trash but Mrs Crusher keeps asking, "If not you then who Fatass?"  I need to get a dog.

What about the refs who handle the football on every single play?

Take a running play as an example. The football gets snapped and the QB drops back and then hands it off to a back on say a draw play. The back runs it for 7 yards, gets tackled, goes down and the umpire has the ball flipped up to him. That ump then takes the ball and tosses a pitchout  over to the line judge who runs over to the LOS and lays the ball down. We've seen this happen a million times, they don't hold on to the ball for more than 3 seconds at a time the whole game.

The WAY that this got "noticed" was because the Ravens defenders were questioning the firmness of an intercepted pass and tipped the Colts off to it, that one came out this morning. 

So if a player tests positive for PED's and says I have no idea how it happened and the league can't find anyone to testify that witnessed or administered the drugs then it's ok according to this line of thinking right?

Patriots had exclusive control over the balls like a player has with his body. It's the same ridiculous reasoning. A classic C'mon man don't ya think?

Pats didn't cheat, there is no evidence whatsoever they had anything to do with the PSI pressure in the footballs.

Right, it just happened. A 20 year old kid just decided to do it for kicks,randomly. I don't blame you and the rest of the Patriot fans for trying to blame the victim. Finding out that the emperor doesn't have clothes is tough.It has to stink to see something you rooted for and believed in for so many years blow up in your face. To quote the Wizard of Oz..."pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."  

The same goes for a single season where the Yankees were busted.

Sure I hate the Yankees.  Does not change the fact that you guys are a sham of a dynasty and got there by finding ways to, executing and in most cases perfecting cheating.  Good for you.  Hail to the Cheatriots.

You do realize each team brings their own footballs. When the weather was like it was Sunday night, playing with an under-inflated ball will most certainly be in your benefit, especially if the other team isn't.

Read what I said.

Some Colts said that NE was using the Colts balls in the 2nd quarter.

OK

Why is it that this same logic is not applied to the Yankees 28 Championships?

How far back did the roid use start?

Yankees are only team ever accused of having players use steroids?  REALLY?  Barry Bonds was a Yankee?  OMG sit down eat a doughnut and take a breathe.  Steroids are a sports wide pandemic.  Patriots are in a class of all their own when it come to cheating in football.  You guys are the best at it and nobody will or ever will come close.  

I'm with you. Cookies keeps dissapearing in my house when Im alone and I always get blamed. I even hide the wrappers in the neighbors trash but Mrs Crusher keeps asking, "If not you then who Fatass?" I need to get a dog.

If you get a dog get a lot of peanut butter. It helps you and the pooch get closer.

Sure I hate the Yankees.  Does not change the fact that you guys are a sham of a dynasty and got there by finding ways to, executing and in most cases perfecting cheating.  Good for you.  Hail to the Cheatriots

Do you remember what Bachelors 3 was?

Namath associated with the Mafia during and after the Jets Super Bowl season. Im sure nothing happened.

The same goes for a single season where the Yankees were busted.

the big difference being is that Yankee fans are the first ones to discredit ARod and his cheating ways and hate him for trying to tarnish the greatest accomplishment in all of sports. Pats fans on the other hand are defending what their team did and has been doing ever since a mediocre head coach stole a million bucks from a grieving family and took a few million more to go and coach that teams 2nd biggest rival.

Archived