10 Years Too Late - Sheldon Silver Arrested (merged)

section314

Just saw on the news that Sheldon Silver, the man who basically derailed the West Side Stadium deal, is going to be arrested today on corruption charges. Wonder if the Dolans will come to his rescue?

Unreal.  I still occasionally think about the Jets would have a different aura around them, a different identity by playing in such a unique stadium in the heart of the world's greatest city....rather than sharing a slightly upgraded facility with the Giants. Some of those conceptual drawings and designs were great.  An open view at one end of the stadium that showed skyscrapers standing tall around the stadium - a true homefield advantage!

The West Side Stadium would have been the best thing to happen for the NY Jets Franchise in a VERY long time.

Note, the Franchise, not necessarily the Fans or Manhattan residents.

But for the Jets, it would have been the best.

Sadly, now we'll never know.

Just saw on the news that Sheldon Silver, the man who basically derailed the West Side Stadium deal, is going to be arrested today on corruption charges. Wonder if the Dolans will come to his rescue?

In the other shocking news of the day: the sky is blue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/nyregion/sheldon-silver-predicting-chaos-in-albany-power-balance.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

--------------------

I was more deeply affected than I care to admit about the loss of Woody Johnson's vision of a West Side Stadium - many didn't like it, but I saw this vision for what it was, truly visionary - a mecca to sport, a spectacle in all the right ways.  It would have made the Jets a marquee team in the NFL, right alongside the Cowboys, I believe it truly would have.  Inconvenient for most fans yes, but each game, each Blimp shot, would've been extraordinary, the recognition by the nation, the association of our New York team actually playing in New York City's prime borough, the world's for that matter.  America's biggest sport by far, being played in the greatest city in the world - a brand new beautiful stadium with only one team calling it home, our team. 

I get a bit sick each time I drive past Metlife/Xanadu - a complex that is an abomination, a perversion of the intended grandeur of the NYC home.  One man with immense power stopped that dream and it was Sheldon Silver, a corrupt politician.  There is no evidence, but it's not a stretch to connect some obvious dots.  Bluntly, that he was bribed in money or favors by James Dolan, the slime of the Earth, owner of MSG, the Knicks/Rangers and all things unholy who fabricated a "people's movement" against the possible competition of a brand new stadium for NYC venues.  I'm glad to see Silver go down, one of the most powerful men in the most corrupt state government in the country, however it is too little to late for Jets fans.  I think of it literally every time I see the Metlife, what could've been...

--------------------

His power unbending, his whims often unexplained, Sheldon Silver, in his two decades as speaker of the State Assembly, became a seemingly indestructible presence at the nucleus of the New York political world, a steady advocate for liberal causes and a master tactician in Albany’s closed and entrenched way of governance.

But Mr. Silver’s arrest on Thursday on corruption charges has thrown into question that arrangement, in which the governor and the leaders of the two chambers of the Legislature privately decide the most crucial policies of the state. It is a potentially seismic shift in power whose reverberations may be felt throughout the state, from the speaker’s home district on the Lower East Side of Manhattan to the grounds of the State Capitol.

Until now, Albany lawmakers accustomed to what prosecutors called a “show-me-the-money culture” have taken comfort in knowing that their most powerful figure was unassailable — untouched despite years of inquiries, suspicions and rumors of impropriety.

Photo
IMPACTweb2-articleLarge.jpg

The Assembly chamber in Albany. An Assembly session was canceled on Thursday as Democrats planned a meeting to discuss their next moves. Credit Nathaniel Brooks for The New York Times

The events this week have shaken that sense of security and raised the possibility that Mr. Silver, the quintessential capital insider, could reveal his own colleagues’ misdeeds to federal prosecutors in exchange for leniency.

For the state’s orbit of lobbyists, advocates, elected officials and industry executives with a stake in the productivity and product of the Legislature, Mr. Silver’s potential diminution, if not exit, carries enormous consequences.

“It’s chaos,” said Richard Brodsky, a former Democratic assemblyman from Westchester County. “So much is at stake for the public.”

Mr. Silver is arguably the most powerful Democrat in the state, a mercurial and potent force who could single-handedly sink the most cherished plans of mayors and governors.

Put simply, he was a vision slayer. Michael R. Bloomberg, the former mayor, watched as Mr. Silver torpedoed his plans to build a stadium on the West Side of Manhattan and introduce a peak-hour tariff on drivers. The ideas crashed on the shoals of “Shelly,” as the speaker, Oprah-like, is invariably called in the Capitol.

Labor unions and big industries like real estate depended on Mr. Silver to defend their interests in back-room negotiations, where he, governors and Senate leaders determined the fate of new legislation each year.

High-priced political advice is doled out on the assumption of Mr. Silver’s power; with that in question, perhaps all bets are off.

Continue reading the main story Video
SILVERvideo-videoSixteenByNine540.jpg
Play Video|0:31 Assemblymen Respond to Silver Arrest
Assemblymen Respond to Silver Arrest

Members of the New York State Assembly respond to the arrest of Speaker Sheldon Silver on corruption charges Thursday.

Video by Reuters on Publish Date January 22, 2015. Photo by Nathaniel Brooks for The New York Times.

“Any interest group whose political strategy depends on the strength of the Assembly, they have to be concerned,” said Blair Horner, the legislative director for the New York Public Interest Research Group.

Members who counted on Mr. Silver’s support in the coming session could find themselves facing question after question about the allegations.

And groups that rely on the smooth functioning and static leadership of the Assembly worry that the body could descend into the infighting and disarray that have made the State Senate a punch line for late-night comedians.

As one real estate executive put it on Thursday, “Shelly is the devil we know.”

Mr. Silver has long been the key representative of New York City in a legislative body that could be notoriously unfriendly to the city’s interests. Recently, he also emerged as an important adviser to Mayor Bill de Blasio, who may now be forced to navigate Albany’s machinery without a like-minded friend in the negotiating room.

Questions were already being raised on Thursday about Mr. de Blasio’s legislative agenda, which includes immigration reform efforts backed by Mr. Silver. Mr. de Blasio spearheaded a campaign last year to unseat the Republican majority in the State Senate; that effort fell short, and Dean G. Skelos, a Long Island Republican who is the Senate majority leader, has signaled that he is disinclined to aid the mayor.

Mr. de Blasio, who had a win-a-few, lose-a-few legislative session last year, is also wary of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s efforts to expand charter schools and weaken teachers’ unions. Mr. Silver was a bulwark against those efforts, and a waning of his influence could hurt the mayor’s leverage.

Photo
IMPACTweb3-articleLarge.jpg

Recently, Mr. Silver has emerged as an important adviser to Mayor Bill de Blasio. Credit Nathaniel Brooks for The New York Times

Asked on Thursday about Mr. Silver’s indictment, Mr. de Blasio urged New Yorkers to “let the judicial process play out.”

Mr. Cuomo, for his part, may also need to recalculate rapidly.

Hours before Mr. Silver was taken into custody, Mr. Cuomo, a fellow Democrat, unreeled an ambitious social justice agenda in his State of the State address, a headline-grabbing turn for a governor who prides himself on centrism.

It was a signal moment for Mr. Cuomo, who was embracing the start of a new four-year term and eager to put the troubles of last year, including a bumpy re-election campaign and a string of ethics concerns, behind him.

Instead, the speech was mostly forgotten by Thursday morning, with Mr. Silver’s arrest plunging the governor back into the ethical morass from which he had hoped to escape.

As night fell on the capital, some political operatives said they would not tear up their legislative playbooks until Mr. Silver’s fate became clear.

So far, few Assembly Democrats have publicly asked Mr. Silver to resign. “We have every confidence that the speaker is going to continue to fill his role with distinction,” Joseph Morelle, the Assembly majority leader, said after an hourlong private conference with his caucus.

But a dissenting voice came from Assemblyman Michael P. Kearns, a Democrat from the Buffalo area who does not caucus with his party. Mr. Kearns said the speaker should step down.

Asked who might replace Mr. Silver, Mr. Kearns was blunt.

“Anyone,” he said, “who is not under indictment.”

It was a travesty that the stadium didn't get built.  Hopefully this guy spends a long time in prison, although I'm sure he's going to be sent to one of those "country club" prisons instead.

Hopefully, he goes to a Federal "Pound me in the *** prison". He will have to kick someone's *** on the first day, or become somebody's *****.

I met him once about 12 yrs ago. I was a union VP in NY and he was cordial. However, I was so disgusted at the effort by Dolan and others and what they did to stop Woody and the Westside stadium. It was slimy and Dolan actually said that property would be developed for a better use etc.

Shockingly they lied. Bye bye Shelly, I hope they lock you up. That clown Brodsky in that article is another hog at the trough. He has the audacity to say he's concerned about the public. I hope they all get burned and get locked up.

It was a travesty that the stadium didn't get built.  Hopefully this guy spends a long time in prison, although I'm sure he's going to be sent to one of those "country club" prisons instead.

Dolan had this POS in his pocket. Too bad he didn't get arrested 10 years ago.

Unreal.  I still occasionally think about the Jets would have a different aura around them, a different identity by playing in such a unique stadium in the heart of the world's greatest city....rather than sharing a slightly upgraded facility with the Giants. Some of those conceptual drawings and designs were great.  An open view at one end of the stadium that showed skyscrapers standing tall around the stadium - a true homefield advantage!

me too man.. me too 

I can see MetLife from the porch, but even I can see the advantages of being NYC's team. 

Stadium could of beeen in rotation for super bowls, college football championship, finals 4s, ect. The 7 train extension is nearly done.

10838506_1562392653972876_187907436_n.jp

You can see that subway entrance above in this aerial right next to where the stadium would of been built over the tracks. If you have walked around this part of the city you know its a boom town. Countless towers going up and around the High Line.

16090596850_d9139fd870_h.jpg

Its a thread about Shelly Silver FFS. And how his (uh oh) politics affected the Jets. Just move it to another forum or don't click on it. Such a victim you are.

Personal Attack!  Personal Attack!  You guys saw it!  Didn't you?  You did!  Max!  Maaaaaax!

I'm just screwing with you dude.  i literally care about almost nothing in this world.  Except bourbon.  I care about bourbon.  Don't you never talk sass about the good whiskey.

Personal Attack!  Personal Attack!  You guys saw it!  Didn't you?  You did!  Max!  Maaaaaax!

I'm just screwing with you dude.  i literally care about almost nothing in this world.  Except bourbon.  I care about bourbon.  Don't you never talk sass about the good whiskey.

Yeah Bourbon is all right. I must say I prefer Irish a majority of the time. And I do not care for Scotch, I've given it many chances, not for me. I also run an Irish tavern so I get practice at will.

Have you ever tried Booker's bourbon? Really good stuff, but very strong, it can put you on your a** if you're not careful.

I dunno. I kinda like the stadium in Jersey.

(ducks and runs while being pelted with vomit filled waterballoons)

Eh, I feel ya. I like the stadium too. Season Ticket holder so I've had enough experiences there and, the team's play aside, they have been largely positive...but man...everytime I see what could have been with West Side I get depressed. That thing looked absolutely B-E-A-UTIFUL. The article is right. The damn thing would have made us a marquee franchise. It would have been one of the greatest stadiums on earth...it really is a shame that we never got to see it come to fruition.

Wait a minute - are you trying to tell me that there are corrupt politicians in America too?!?!?!?  This is not possible.  Next thing I know you'll tell me that this supposed corruption isn't limited to just 1 party or "a few bad apples" and that the real power in this country is held by the super-wealthy, who control the puppets in DC.  And that when we "throw the bum out of office", he/she will be replaced by yet another puppet controlled by the same group of super-wealthy people. 

20140713_tyranny.jpg

"Recently, he also emerged as an important adviser to Mayor Bill de Blasio, who may now be forced to navigate Albany’s machinery without a like-minded friend in the negotiating room."

I hope there is a welcoming committee for this guy when he gets to prison. The WSS would've been great. Now we have 20 more years in Cell Block M

The WSS would've been great for NYC. But Silver killed a lot of great developments in this State. NY lost a lot of revenue because Silver was bribed to kill deals.

I'm glad Super Preet got that bastard. Hopefully the investigation leads to Dolan.

Not only is Joe Bruno not in prison, New Yorkers are going to foot his 4 million dollar legal bill, because reasons.

I have a strong suspicion that Silvers will somehow find his way out of this mess too.  Guess will have to wait for his penance to come in hell.     :Irate:

Archived