What do we do with Harvin?

Beerfish

We certainly currently have the cap space for him and he showed big play flashes last year.  Do we want to retain him or not?  When do we have to make a decision on him?  For example if we go hog wild and go after a big name WR in FA can we then cut him?  If we fail on getting an impact player we keep him?

Also what are the cap implications if we keep him this year going forward, we can cut him essentially with no cap penalty going forward can we not?

(I don't get the impression he would be willing to rework his deal for less cash.)

What say you all?  Keep, give up the 4th rounder and move forward or dump him, give up the 6th rounder and use the extra dough on a different player in fa?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We certainly currently have the cap space for him and he showed big play flashes last year.  Do we want to retain him or not?  When do we have to make a decision on him?  For example if we go hog wild and go after a big name WR in FA can we then cut him?  If we fail on getting an impact player we keep him?

Also what are the cap implications if we keep him this year going forward, we can cut him essentially with no cap penalty going forward can we not?

(I don't get the impression he would be willing to rework his deal for less cash.)

What say you all?  Keep, give up the 4th rounder and move forward or dump him, give up the 6th rounder and use the extra dough on a different player in fa?

I don't think he's the type of player the Jets need at 10.5 Million per year.  Explosive player, but I would want him to re-structure before we consider keeping him.  

Gotta get him to re-negotiate.  Even he has to know that with his injury  history he's not gonna' get 10 mil on the open market.  Get him down to 6.5-7 mil with a few mil in incentives based on playing time.  This team has too many holes to go around creating even more.  With better QB play last season he would've had some huge games.  Off the top of my head I can think of two bombs where he was wide open and Geno missed him by 10-15 yards.  If he's too stubborn and won't re-negotiate, let him go.

I believe we'll cut him for a couple of reasons:

- To save our 4th round pick

- He's not worth 10.5 million

- There are quite a few attractive WR's available in free agency

- This is another deep draft at the WR position

The only question is what is the date that we have to decide his fate.

If you want to invest in another WR to team with Decker then go after

Randall Cobb

I believe we'll cut him for a couple of reasons:

- To save our 4th round pick

- He's not worth 10.5 million

- There are quite a few attractive WR's available in free agency

- This is another deep draft at the WR position

The only question is what is the date that we have to decide his fate

He's under contract that's up to the Jets to decide I would think?? Or cut him and let him see who wants him and for how much..

So many factors to consider.

He is not worth 10 million, but we have the cap room as you said in 2015. If we land a significant QB I think we keep him and take Cooper in the draft. I think we have an elite WR corps with Decker, Harvin, Cooper, Kerly. Any QB would like to direct that offense.

My main reservation is about giving Seattle that early 4th rounder by keeping him. If we dump him we only lose a 6th.

My other reservation is obviously his durability. Especially becuase he also contributes on special teams.

If he would renegotiate his contract that would be great, but I see no reason that he would consider it. If we cut him he is signed by New England within 24 hrs. And there will be many teams interested so he will get paid.... not 10 million, but he will get gold money and he will be able to choose where he goes.

With Geno as our projected starter no way he wants to stay and renegotiate. He will simply say pay me or cut me.

I see no way a trade happens.

Gotta get him to re-negotiate.  Even he has to know that with his injury  history he's not gonna' get 10 mil on the open market.  Get him down to 6.5-7 mil with a few mil in incentives based on playing time.  This team has too many holes to go around creating even more.  With better QB play last season he would've had some huge games.  Off the top of my head I can think of two bombs where he was wide open and Geno missed him by 10-15 yards.  If he's too stubborn and won't re-negotiate, let him go.

Here is what I would do....get him a 3 year deal but front load it. Give him his 10.5 million this year but in the form of a bonus. Get another two years at a cheaper rate.  I won't attempt to do the math but they should be able to work something out to make all parties happy. And minimize the risk if he starts punching people in the face in year two or three.

Here is what I would do....get him a 3 year deal but front load it. Give him his 10.5 million this year but in the form of a bonus. Get another two years at a cheaper rate.  I won't attempt to do the math but they should be able to work something out to make all parties happy. And minimize the risk if he starts punching people in the face in year two or three.

If he hit Tom would that be a bonus?? :cat:

Gailey's hesitance to sign up as OC might have hinged on this very topic.

I doubt Harvin was the reason. He publicly said the Jets hadn't gave him a offer at the time. I doubt a pro OC who's been in it since the 80's is scared to take a job because he doesn't know how to use a playmaker Correctly. He's a playmaker. You at least take a shot at scheming something up lol.

He's under contract that's up to the Jets to decide I would think?? Or cut him and let him see who wants him and for how much..

After a certain date (which I think is one of the first few of the league year), the 6th round pick becomes a 4th.  If we're going to cut him, we'd obviously do it before that date.

I doubt Harvin was the reason. He publicly said the Jets hadn't gave him a offer at the time. I doubt a pro OC who's been in it since the 80's is scared to take a job because he doesn't know how to use a playmaker Correctly. He's a playmaker. You at least take a shot at scheming something up lol.

I was under the impression that Gailey was Bowles' first choice, that the feeling was mutual, and that the Jets were happy to sign him.  That he didn't sign right away made me think he was debating some of the financial/internal particulars.  Player personnel could very well been a part of that conversation.  Sure Gailey has "made the most of limited rosters," but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't prefer to coach a talented one.  If I'm two years removed from the NFL, I don't come back to a total junker, I make sure the team has an infrastructure to work with and the resources to build around it.  And if I'm Chan Gailey, I'm banging the negotiation table for some say in player acquisition and roster management. 

That conversation could have included Harvin, perhaps it was for Spiller, or some preference of QB (later down the road), but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we're keeping Harvin because of some Gailey influence.  He's a playmaker, who wouldn't want him on the offense. 

I guess we need to look at this from McCagnan's point of view.... New GM who's bringing in HIS own guy's for the Draft and FA evaluations.

Then you look at Harvin's behavioral problems wherever he's been and then you look at giving up the 102nd pick to Seattle AND paying $10mil for that pick.

I say he get's cut, Maccagnan makes the draft pick and tries to resign Harvin in Cobb and Maclin fall through.

I guess we need to look at this from McCagnan's point of view.... New GM who's bringing in HIS own guy's for the Draft and FA evaluations.

Then you look at Harvin's behavioral problems wherever he's been and then you look at giving up the 102nd pick to Seattle AND paying $10mil for that pick.

I say he get's cut, Maccagnan makes the draft pick and tries to resign Harvin in Cobb and Maclin fall through.

Randall Cobb is the perfect fit next to Decker he can do everything Harvin can do but cheaper & more durable.

Cut him...

There are a lot of better ways to spend $10.5mm....

btw. trading for him was, imho, the worst thing Idzik did....

It wasn't the worst thing Idzik did... but in the top three or four. Shocking how many Jet fans didnt learn from the Holmes fiasco. Harvin is a turd.

Archived