What do we do with Harvin?

Beerfish

Yeah but seeing next year doesn't give us our 4th rounder back. 4th rounders are a lot more valuable think people think.

I would agree if we were right against the cap. We have wiggle room because of our cap situation. We have two drafts, essentially. One of college players and one of already established NFL players.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have to rework his deal.  Would be paying him above market.

yes. it probably is a little above market BUT it's a no guaranteed money deal. that team friendly part of his deal is being overlooked. if you re-sign him you will have to pay him a signing bonus and then have cap consequences/dead money for cutting him if he turds out once he gets paid like in seattle. harvin seems like one of those guys that plays hardest when he is working for a new contract.

I can agree on that. Not like we hit with our 1st,2nd or 3rd rounders anyway.

would be lying if i didn't admit that's part of the basis for my opinion!

This is ridiculous. Cut him? He's one of the most explosive receivers in the game. He's exactly what the Jets have been missing for nearly a decade and now he's a perfect fit in this new system.

Find a way to renegotiate his contract. Even if that means cutting him and then signing him to avoid giving up the 4th round pick.

Harvin in New England will catch 125 balls.

This is ridiculous. Cut him? He's one of the most explosive receivers in the game. He's exactly what the Jets have been missing for nearly a decade and now he's a perfect fit in this new system.

Find a way to renegotiate his contract. Even if that means cutting him and then signing him to avoid giving up the 4th round pick.

first off he has said he WONT restructure. Secondly he is a headache similar to holmes.

You are a GM in another life? :)

LOL no but if you look at the players that have been picked in the fourth round (or higher)  in any given year, you'll find tons of  guys that are or were on NFL ROSTERS but they're not what you'd call valuable players, certainly not irreplaceable. The potential to find a guy that is even moderately valuable is not enough to preclude you from keeping a player that has proven to be capable at playing at a high level like Harvin.

Besides, you can get a guy in the sixth round, like (insert percentage here) of NFL rosters are made up of sixth rounders.

IMHO - If we can keep him for $7mm on a low risk contract, easily cuttable contract it's worth doing.  Otherwise - cut him, keep the 4th and spend our money elsewhere.

This. I like Harvin, but he is a bit of a head case and is injury prone. If the Seahawks, coming off a super bowl and on the verge of another found the need to get rid of him that should tell you a lot. 

LOL no but if you look at the players that have been picked in the fourth round (or higher)  in any given year, you'll find tons of  guys that are or were on NFL ROSTERS but they're not what you'd call valuable players, certainly not irreplaceable. The potential to find a guy that is even moderately valuable is not enough to preclude you from keeping a player that has proven to be capable at playing at a high level like Harvin.

Besides, you can get a guy in the sixth round, like (insert percentage here) of NFL rosters are made up of sixth rounders.

Im not sure I agree. Solid players are hard to find period.  But the fact that half the league is 4th and after means they are important.

IMHO - If we can keep him for $7mm on a low risk contract, easily cuttable contract it's worth doing.  Otherwise - cut him, keep the 4th and spend our money elsewhere.

only in jet homer world will all these players just quietly accept less money to stay with the team. his agent is going to play hardball with jets; i would. he will say either extend contract to a little lower $ per year and make a bunch guaranteed or keep him under current contract. cut him if you don't like those options and harvin will get to FA and sign a deal with his next team for guaranteed money (if he clears waivers, which i doubt he would).

if we cut him AND he clears waivers we will have to outbid a bunch of other interested teams, including our "friends" in Boston. How much less do you think we will get him for? $2M/yr tops? and we'd have to throw in a bunch of guaranteed money making him uncuttable for a couple years--dangerous with a player who has already turded out on two teams.

right now we have him locked up on an extremely cap friendly deal. no dead money if cut and he is motivated by prospect of his next contract. maybe he is getting a little more per year than one would like but that cap flexibility is worth the premium of a million or two tops imho.

and it isn't not giving up a 4th to keep him. it is trading a 4th for a 6th.

Agree we need playmakers on offense Decker had 1 good game last season and Kerley disappeared often sign Harvin 

only in jet homer world will all these players just quietly accept less money. his agent is going to play hardball with jets, i would. he will say either extend contract to a little lower $ per year and make a bunch guaranteed or keep him under current contract. cut him if you don't like those options and harvin will get to FA and sign a deal with his next team for guaranteed money (if he clears waivers, which i doubt he would).

right now we have him locked up on an extremely cap friendly deal. no dead money if cut and he is motivated by prospect of his next contract. maybe he is getting a little more per year than one would like but that cap flexibility is worth the premium imho.

Exactly.

only in jet homer world will all these players just quietly accept less money to stay with the team. his agent is going to play hardball with jets, i would. he will say either extend contract to a little lower $ per year and make a bunch guaranteed or keep him under current contract. cut him if you don't like those options and harvin will get to FA and sign a deal with his next team for guaranteed money (if he clears waivers, which i doubt he would).

right now we have him locked up on an extremely cap friendly deal. no dead money if cut and he is motivated by prospect of his next contract. maybe he is getting a little more per year than one would like but that cap flexibility is worth the premium of a million or two tops imho.

and it isn't not giving up a 4th to keep him. it is trading a 4th for a 6th.

Agreed...  I hear in a LOUD Chris Rock stand up voice..."Mother Fukker, you want me to drop my price by how much???  Are you fukkin insane. This is the NY mother fukkin JETS, I should charge more"

Id like to see stats on the top say 30 players on a team and where they were drafted.

Im too lazy and too busy with tax season. :winking0001:

yeah i got no clue. Sure over half of players enter the NFL as 4th round picks or later (including UFAs) but a lot of those guys never see an active roster. but no, i don't have the stats to back it up and yes I am also too lazy to do so when talking out of my ass is so much easier ;)

IMHO, unless they get Cooper, Harvin a must, Chans systems demands YAC form WRs, Harvin only pure YAC WR in team.

Spiller is very good YAC RB and would be a great signing.

I agree.  We actually need 2 Wide Receivers and the big boys in free agency (Dez, Demariyus) we have 0 shot at.  Kerley was awful last year.  We need both Randall Cobb AND Harvin.

Keep Harvin at his current contract for 1 more year.  He will restructure for less but only if we guarantee his money for the next several years which is a big no-no. Next year is basically a one-year deal for him because we will be able to cut him after the season which we will probably do.

the point is its too much risk. His cap hit and 4th rounder are more valuable to us

FYI, as much as I want Harvin on this team, I did not say I want to keep him on this team with his current salary. I think we should pay him is fair value, which is not what he's supposed to get. We need to find a deal that works for both the Jets and Harvin. This guy gives defensive coordinators nightmares. We need him!

FYI, as much as I want Harvin on this team, I did not say I want to keep him on this team with his current salary. I think we should pay him is fair value, which is not what he's supposed to get. We need to find a deal that works for both the Jets and Harvin. This guy gives defensive coordinators nightmares. We need him!

like i said a few times harvin has said he WONT renegotiate his contract

Archived