New commissioner open to MLB returning to Montreal

Morrissey

Return to Montreal ‘possible’ for MLB, new commissioner says

On Sunday, The New York Times ran excerpts of a conversation between baseball reporter Tyler Kepner and Rob Manfred, the new commissioner of baseball.

Montreal was raised, as a question.

“Look, I think Montreal helped itself as a candidate for Major League Baseball with the Toronto games that they had up there last year,” Manfred told the Times. “It’s hard to miss how many people showed up for those exhibition games. It was a strong showing. Montreal’s a great city. I think with the right set of circumstances and the right facility, it’s possible.”

Rays moving to Montreal makes too much sense. Immediately set up a natural in division rival between Toronto and Montreal, Boston and Montreal are also a natural rival. 

Return to Montreal ‘possible’ for MLB, new commissioner says

Rays moving to Montreal makes too much sense. Immediately set up a natural in division rival between Toronto and Montreal, Boston and Montreal are also a natural rival. 

Montreal should be a NL franchise, and then move Washington to the AL, as it was set up originally.

Montreal should be a NL franchise, and then move Washington to the AL, as it was set up originally.

I think they would be a better fit in the AL because of the natural rivals I mentioned above. You would also have to convince the Nationals to switch leagues. Any potential owner in the new Montreal franchise wouldn't demand a switch.. nor would they have the standing too. Staying in the AL is an easy simple transition. 

I think they would be a better fit in the AL because of the natural rivals I mentioned above. You would also have to convince the Nationals to switch leagues. Any potential owner in the new Montreal franchise wouldn't demand a switch.. nor would they have the standing too. Staying in the AL is an easy simple transition. 

Of course that is the way it will be, but that does not make it the right reason.

Montreal is an NL franchise

Washington was an original AL franchise.

You wouldn't have Baltimore and Washington in the same league that close.

Of course that is the way it will be, but that does not make it the right reason.

Didn't your final point make my case stronger? Anyways, I don't believe Montreal's ties to the NL are very strong, same with Washington with the AL. It's not the Cardinals, Dodgers in the NL or Yankees, Red Sox in AL. No bigger deal than Astros moving to AL or Brewers moving to the NL. 

Wasn't Baltimore a disenter when Montreal moved?

If Montreal is not going to spend more than the Rays I would rather give Portland and/or Vegas a shot.

Move them West; Cleveland back East and Houston to the Central.

If Montreal is not going to spend more than the Rays I would rather give Portland and/or Vegas a shot.

I think both Portland and Vegas are poor options.

-Portland doesn't have a stadium for the team to play in while a new stadium is built. MLS' Portland Timbers renovated the only option into a soccer specific stadium, so that can't be renovated into a MLB stadium. Portland like Seattle would need a domed or retractable roof stadium because of all the rain.

-Vegas like Portland has no stadium for a team to move into and would have to build a new one. That stadium I think would also neeed to be domed or have a retraceable roof. Vegas outside in the summer.. no thanks. Vegas is also an untested sports market. Let the NBA or NHL test it out in an arena first. I'm skeptical, because I think the market has a lot of the same problems Florida has. Besides, Baseball and Vegas, Pete Rose gonna be the manager? Oh nevermind he's still banned. I have a good name for the team. Black Soxs. See what I'm getting at? 

-Montreal on the other hand is a good sports market, with a good brand name (no reason not to use Expos name) and has a temporary home available until a new ballpark is built. You can be a profitable and successful team without spending like Dodgers and Yankees. I think that's been proven the last decade. Rays didn't spend but stil built a winning team, yet people of Florida still didn't care. I see Montreal a lot like Milwaukee, Toronto, Minnesota, Seattle, Kansas City. While baseballl won't be the cities number one draw, they will support a winning team, and do respectable with a mediocre one. I see it as a safe market if good ownership is in place. Jeffrey Loria torpedoed Expos. 

Didn't your final point make my case stronger? Anyways, I don't believe Montreal's ties to the NL are very strong, same with Washington with the AL. It's not the Cardinals, Dodgers in the NL or Yankees, Red Sox in AL. No bigger deal than Astros moving to AL or Brewers moving to the NL. 

I repeat, your way is the way it will be, but that does not make it the best reason.

Montreals ties arent strong to the NL? 35 years in the NL, and twenty some years as the Dodgers top farm system are not ties? LOL

No mlb franchise is ever touching Vegas. Portland isn't big enough to support a baseball franchise plus they wouldn't be able to build a stadium downtown which would kill their attendance.

Montreal is a much bigger and wealthier city. Selig mischarcterized the Montreal market so he could get into the wealthy DC market.

Nats still own the expo logo wonder what happens with that.

I repeat, your way is the way it will be, but that does not make it the best reason.

Montreals ties arent strong to the NL? 35 years in the NL, and twenty some years as the Dodgers top farm system are not ties? LOL

The expos outdrew the Yankees in the 80s. Their average attendance was usually in the middle for nl franchises until Olympic Stadium became so old and unbearable.

No mlb franchise is ever touching Vegas. Portland isn't big enough to support a baseball franchise plus they wouldn't be able to build a stadium downtown which would kill their attendance.

Montreal is a much bigger and wealthier city. Selig mischarcterized the Montreal market so he could get into the wealthy DC market.

Nats still own the expo logo wonder what happens with that.

Portland is actually larger than a few current teams.

I think both Portland and Vegas are poor options.

-Portland doesn't have a stadium for the team to play in while a new stadium is built. MLS' Portland Timbers renovated the only option into a soccer specific stadium, so that can't be renovated into a MLB stadium. Portland like Seattle would need a domed or retractable roof stadium because of all the rain.

-Vegas like Portland has no stadium for a team to move into and would have to build a new one. That stadium I think would also neeed to be domed or have a retraceable roof. Vegas outside in the summer.. no thanks. Vegas is also an untested sports market. Let the NBA or NHL test it out in an arena first. I'm skeptical, because I think the market has a lot of the same problems Florida has. Besides, Baseball and Vegas, Pete Rose gonna be the manager? Oh nevermind he's still banned. I have a good name for the team. Black Soxs. See what I'm getting at? 

-Montreal on the other hand is a good sports market, with a good brand name (no reason not to use Expos name) and has a temporary home available until a new ballpark is built. You can be a profitable and successful team without spending like Dodgers and Yankees. I think that's been proven the last decade. Rays didn't spend but stil built a winning team, yet people of Florida still didn't care. I see Montreal a lot like Milwaukee, Toronto, Minnesota, Seattle, Kansas City. While baseballl won't be the cities number one draw, they will support a winning team, and do respectable with a mediocre one. I see it as a safe market if good ownership is in place. Jeffrey Loria torpedoed Expos. 

I know they will never touch Vegas.  I just like the idea.  :)

Portland is new.  I would rather try a new market versus going back to an old market.  While, it is not the fans fault Montreal died, there were signs it was goign to fall behind as the gap widened between the haves and have nots.  

Portland is actually larger than a few current teams.

I know they will never touch Vegas.  I just like the idea.  :)

Portland is new.  I would rather try a new market versus going back to an old market.  While, it is not the fans fault Montreal died, there were signs it was goign to fall behind as the gap widened between the haves and have nots.

You haven't been to Portland. There's no way that city would ever support an mlb franchise.

Montreal couldn't draw flies.Granted the Big O sucked, but what has changed? Tampa may not draw but they do very well with local TV money. 

Not sure about the stadium situation or Ralleigh vs. Charlottte,  but North Carolina would be a better choice. 

Montreal couldn't draw flies.Granted the Big O sucked, but what has changed? Tampa may not draw but they do very well with local TV money. 

Not sure about the stadium situation or Ralleigh vs. Charlottte,  but North Carolina would be a better choice.

Simply not true, Montreal did just fine most years until Jeffrey Loria and MLB destroyed the franchise.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/118868-how-jeffrey-loria-destroyed-the-montreal-exposnationals

They can't give away tickets in Tampa. Not only is Montrealbigger the value of the Canadian Dollar has skyrocketed last few years. Players would be paid in usd while tickets would be charged in Canadian currency. It's an absolute no-brainier that the rays would become way more profitable in Montreal.

The only problem is the site where they were supposedto build Labatt Parque has since had condos constructed on it in downtown Montreal. Nobody in Tampa gives a rats ass about the rays they can't give away tickets

The city of Montreal killed the team more than anything else-They refused to build a new stadium. That was the final straw. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118868-how-jeffrey-loria-destroyed-the-montreal-exposnationals

In his first speech as owner of the Expos, Loria demanded a new stadium for his team. He bluntly said of Olympic Stadium, "We cannot and will not stay there."

The city made it very clear at the time that they would not build a new facility when millions were stilled owed on the existing stadium.

Later, though, the city began to warm to the idea of a new stadium and LaBatt Park was designed and was ready to be built using a combination of public and private financing. The facility was to be ready for the 2002 season.

However, Loria balked and demanded that the city pay a higher percentage of the building costs.

The city, weary of dealing with Loria, cancelled the project.

Thank you. The story that it benefits the city in the end is a blatant lie.

Depends on the situation. Without Camden Yards and M&T Bank stadium being the centerpiece of Inner Harbor the city of Baltimore would have no tourism revenue.

The Canadians have a budget surplus and a ton of money to invest right now. They could easily build a 40,000 seat baseball stadium - that wasn't the case 10 years ago.

Depends on the situation. Without Camden Yards and M&T Bank stadium being the centerpiece of Inner Harbor the city of Baltimore would have no tourism revenue.

The Canadians have a budget surplus and a ton of money to invest right now. They could easily build a 40,000 seat baseball stadium - that wasn't the case 10 years ago.

For every success story there's dozens of complete wastes of taxpayer $ like Met Life, Izod, the Marlins stadium etc.

For every success story there's dozens of complete wastes of taxpayer $ like Met Life, Izod, the Marlins stadium etc.

Like I said.  Depends on the situation.  Most cities aren't like New York where there's a million different cool things to do some of these cities rely a lot more heavily on having new state-of-the art venues for sports and concerts etc.

In all fairness the mets and Yankees both needed new stadiums.  That overpriced POS in the meadowlands that looks like a beehive should have never been built or at least should have made it with a retractable roof so we'd get the SB once every 5 years - thanks classy Giants.

Like I said.  Depends on the situation.  Most cities aren't like New York where there's a million different cool things to do some of these cities rely a lot more heavily on having new state-of-the art venues for sports and concerts etc.

In all fairness the mets and Yankees both needed new stadiums.  That overpriced POS in the meadowlands that looks like a beehive should have never been built or at least should have made it with a retractable roof so we'd get the SB once every 5 years - thanks classy Giants.

You need a new stadium, build it yourself.  Why are taxpayers subsidizing massively successful and profitable businesses like that?

• 2 weeks later...

I never said MetLife didn't suck. The giants classy owners torpedoed the whole thing when they wouldn't go along with a retractable roof which would have made it a cash cow for north jersey with the Super Bowl and even NCAA final four coming once every few years.

Wasn't Izod built like 50 years ago? Where were the nets and devils supposed to play the Teaneck armory?

Back to the subject I really hope the rays move to Montreal. Canada's economy is booming and they are a waste of space in Tampa nobody there cares about mlb

I never said MetLife didn't suck. The giants classy owners torpedoed the whole thing when they wouldn't go along with a retractable roof which would have made it a cash cow for north jersey with the Super Bowl and even NCAA final four coming once every few years.

Wasn't Izod built like 50 years ago? Where were the nets and devils supposed to play the Teaneck armory?

Back to the subject I really hope the rays move to Montreal. Canada's economy is booming and they are a waste of space in Tampa nobody there cares about mlb

The Super Bowl wasn't a cash cow for North Jersey the first time.  Why would it be if they did it again?

If the Nets & Devils couldn't afford to build their own arena, they don't need to exist.

• 1 month later...

The city of Montreal killed the team more than anything else-They refused to build a new stadium. That was the final straw. 

At the time there was talk of local phoney Bob Rich of Rich Products buying the Expos and moving them to Buffalo. I still remember his " I have a blank check for MLB" speech.

Thank God that never happened. It was just a cheap ploy to get a new AAA stadium for his Bisons.

Archived