Lost in the Controversy Over the Worst Playcall of All-time

The Troll

That would be two of us, lol.  This was so bad, Green Bay is probably saying "damn, at least we didn't lose like THAT!" 

Before the game I laughed at a couple dudes in GB jerseys buying beer and Patriot balloons at the market.

They got the last laugh. 

This is the NFL, how dare you praise wrapping and driving? Everyone knows that diving at a guys feet looks so much cooler and can actually result in a tackle almost 43% of the time. :/

Congrats TX.

Second biggest play in the last sequence was Browner jamming Kearse at the LOS on the INT play.

If Kearse gets a free release he easily picks Butler and the Hawks probably get a TD. 

...is the fact that the Patriots got away with a blatant and game altering penalty. On the Seahawks penultimate drive, the Pats' DB fell down and left the WR wide open for what could have been at least a 30 yard gain, as no one else was around. Instead, the DB reaches out and trips the receiver. No call, of course. The Seahawks go three and out and then New England just marches right down the field on them. But, it just wouldn't be a Patriots Super Bowl without a little help from the officials.

The only people in the world to miss that were the refs on the field and patriot fans. The only good thing that I can take away from this travesty is that no one will ever talk about how New England won this game, it will forever be spoken about how Seattle lost it. 

The only people in the world to miss that were the refs on the field and patriot fans. The only good thing that I can take away from this travesty is that no one will ever talk about how New England won this game, it will forever be spoken about how Seattle lost it. 

Let it be written - Let it be always remembered that way.

plus IF u are gonna be a turdfool, throw a fade, instead of in the damn MIDDLE where it can be deflected by a Def player, a OLineman, a sack to take the run out of play, it can hit WRs hands and be caught be defense or it can INT's like it was..

Chris Matthews is 6' 5" and at least 5" taller than all of Patriot DBs, would have been best WR for that

I don't blame the Refs.

I question the competitive integrity of the entire league at this stage.

I'm not convinced there isn't some measure of WWF going in the business (business first) that is the NFL.

At the very least, it's obvious some franchises (including and especially the Pats) get preferential treatment at every level of the NFL administration, from Refs on up.

Easy to prove, lets see if the NFL has the balls to suspend the Super Bowl Victor Head Coach for a year for cheating.

Anything less, and there you go.

If this were me, I would not watch the NFL. I don't think I could watch a league where I even slightly questioned the integrity of it.

I think the league is all about money, I think there are a lot of incompetent refs, and I think the players are so big, so fast, and the rules are so complex, that it leads to a lot of bad calls.

I think the majority of fans only notice/pay attention to the calls that go against their team. Much like paying attention to the bad beats in Poker that go against you, while ignoring the ones that go for you.

It was almost as if he KNEW what was coming.......

I heard on the radio that Bellicheck had them practicing that exact play, and when they were practicing it, Butler was told he was not being aggressive enough, and that he needed to be more aggressive.

Not sure if the story is true or not.

I don't blame the Refs.

I question the competitive integrity of the entire league at this stage.

I'm not convinced there isn't some measure of WWF going in the business (business first) that is the NFL.

At the very least, it's obvious some franchises (including and especially the Pats) get preferential treatment at every level of the NFL administration, from Refs on up.

Easy to prove, lets see if the NFL has the balls to suspend the Super Bowl Victor Head Coach for a year for cheating.

Anything less, and there you go.

On circumstantial evidence that is quickly eroding?

First, it was 11 of 12 balls were 2 PSI under.  Now, it is 1 and we are pretty sure Walt measured the balls.

I agree.  The were penalties that could have been called on both sides but the non PI call really went under the radar.  I still don't understand why they didn't call it.  I guess the WR didn't sell it enough.... 

They HAVE TO make PI a challengeable call,  many NFL people feel that way too.  I think it may happen eventually

The game was lost due to one insane play call and not the officiating.  Sure that was a trip that was not called but the refs also missed a running into the kickers plant leg call in the first quarter that would have continued a Pats drive.

It was a great game.....Hawks gave it away at the end with the worst call by a HC/OC ever seen.

Even with that mind boggling play call, Wilson should have thrown the ball away as soon as he saw Kearse get jammed at the line.

We didn't miss it at my house.  We all jump up screaming.   Typical though.

I am so sick of the tin foil hatted fans that think the NFL is against their team. I read a lot of team's message boards, after every loss they blame the officials . You see what you want to see. Were you outraged as well at the blatant roughing the kicker non call ? T.V. technology has IMO caused this mistrust of the officials. I think I read that there were 46 cameras used for the Super Bowl.Those cameras see everything. The refs have two eyes, what they see is limited. To think the refs see what you see in the comfort of your living room is ridiculous. 46 cameras, slow motion, super slow motion vs. a ref with two eyes viewing the action at real time speed which is getting faster every year. I'm not a Patriots fan, I'm a Bears fan since childhood, but I'm also a fan of the NFL. Anybody that thinks that the Patriots didn't win that game fair and square is wearing their tin foil hat too tight.

I am so sick of the tin foil hatted fans that think the NFL is against their team. I read a lot of team's message boards, after every loss they blame the officials . You see what you want to see. Were you outraged as well at the blatant roughing the kicker non call ? T.V. technology has IMO caused this mistrust of the officials. I think I read that there were 46 cameras used for the Super Bowl.Those cameras see everything. The refs have two eyes, what they see is limited. To think the refs see what you see in the comfort of your living room is ridiculous. 46 cameras, slow motion, super slow motion vs. a ref with two eyes viewing the action at real time speed which is getting faster every year. I'm not a Patriots fan, I'm a Bears fan since childhood, but I'm also a fan of the NFL. Anybody that thinks that the Patriots didn't win that game fair and square is wearing their tin foil hat too tight.

I saw a lot of missed calls for both teams.  Brady had a couple groundings not called. Seattle had an off sides not called.  This was in the middle of the damn field!!  The defender fell down and made a sweeping form tackle of the receivers legs as he continued his route.  You have to be a total jackass to be standing and watching the play to not see it.  Calls get missed and debated all the time.  This is one that was so obvious somebody who knows nothing about football at my house actually asked if it was ok to tackle a receiver?  Patriots won the game.  If i can call the game from my couch better than a guy getting paid standing on the filed doing it for a living could?  Well hell make the whole game reviewable. 

The fact is, neither you or anybody else knows that the Seahawks would have scored. The Hawks never scored the go ahead TD. I've read that Beast Mode had 5 attempts from the 1 this season, he was stopped on 4 of them. The Patriots stopped them and won the game. 

The fact is, neither you or anybody else knows that the Seahawks would have scored. The Hawks never scored the go ahead TD. I've read that Beast Mode had 5 attempts from the 1 this season, he was stopped on 4 of them. The Patriots stopped them and won the game. 

Yes.  Every D line and every game is identical throughout the season.  I would think his rushing average for this game would serve as a better indicator. 

You read an article today that you didnt even know existed during the Super Bowl with 20 seconds left in the game. The article is actually more irrelevant than you telling me that no one knows if the hawks would have scored when everyone just seen Lynch make four yards on 1st in 5 the play before. Me not knowing if he would have scored or not doesnt change the fact that the decision was the dumbest ever. And Bevell didnt make that decision based on some statistic that you read this morning. 

this was in 4Q and Lynch is beastly during this time, and this was for all the marbles.

I have no problem with the refs "letting them play" but you can't disregard a DB tripping on his own feet & then using his hand to reach out & trip the WR by the ankle in front of 100 million people or however many watch the Super Bowl.

It was BLATENT and no one knows how big of a play it could have been & how far the WR might have run down the field.

The Patriots were also called once for blocking before the Brady released the ball, us Jet fans know from experience & seeing many, many replays that if the Pats do something that works, they do it OVER & OVER!

How else can you explain throwing the ball 50 times & completing 37 of them with only 4-5 throws over 5-10 yards?

The game of NFL football is SO fast that there is no way in hell that the refs can see everything that happens in a 4 second time frame.

Give Belichick credit for taking advantage of a bunch of accountants & lawyers playing weekend refs.

I have no problem with the refs "letting them play" but you can't disregard a DB tripping on his own feet & then using his hand to reach out & trip the WR by the ankle in front of 100 million people or however many watch the Super Bowl.

It was BLATENT and no one knows how big of a play it could have been & how far the WR might have run down the field.

The Patriots were also called once for blocking before the Brady released the ball, us Jet fans know from experience & seeing many, many replays that if the Pats do something that works, they do it OVER & OVER!

How else can you explain throwing the ball 50 times & completing 37 of them with only 4-5 throws over 5-10 yards?

The game of NFL football is SO fast that there is no way in hell that the refs can see everything that happens in a 4 second time frame.

Give Belichick credit for taking advantage of a bunch of accountants & lawyers playing weekend refs.

refs did not cause loss, came down to lunacy from Bevell

You read an article today that you didnt even know existed during the Super Bowl with 20 seconds left in the game. The article is actually more irrelevant than you telling me that no one knows if the hawks would have scored when everyone just seen Lynch make four yards on 1st in 5 the play before. Me not knowing if he would have scored or not doesnt change the fact that the decision was the dumbest ever. And Bevell didnt make that decision based on some statistic that you read this morning.

You don't think Bevell know this info?

I just read that Bevell is putting some of the blame on Lockett (the WR) for not playing 'strong enough' on the play.  Are you kidding me?! Even if he's right (and he probably is) this just makes him look like a whiner trying to deflect attention from his own stupidity.  In 24 hours he went from a likely top HC candidate next season to 'no shot' ever because any team even interviewing him would have to face so much hostility from fans and media it just wouldn't be worth it.

You don't think Bevell know this info?

He probably does, I dont know. But if someone is trying to convince me that Bevell may have decided to ride the entire Super Bowl on a pass play because of this stat then those people are as retarded as the play that Bevell actually called. 

The quickest play is a QB sneak. If Bevell was afraid that that Lynch wouldnt get in on 2nd and less than 1 then he's a f'ing fool because there's such a thing as 3rd down and 4th down along with the fact that Seattle had timeouts. You dont call a slant play in the middle of the field in a situation like that. The stat is irrelevant. 

Lol blaming the refs. Jets fans haha

No ones blaming the refs.

Just pointing out how bad it's become when you have an obvious trip. The WR reached his hand out to grab his ankle!

It's like a blatents hands ball in soccer, everyone sees it that knows the rules of the game. The Refs in the secondary have one job, to follow the ball with their eyes, the ball was thrown to an area of the field that had no one out there but the CB & the WR.

The call was too easy to miss.

No ones blaming the refs.

Just pointing out how bad it's become when you have an obvious trip. The WR reached his hand out to grab his ankle!

It's like a blatents hands ball in soccer, everyone sees it that knows the rules of the game. The Refs in the secondary have one job, to follow the ball with their eyes, the ball was thrown to an area of the field that had no one out there but the CB & the WR.

The call was too easy to miss.

What about Matthews blatant push off right before halftime that allowed Seattle to score?

It goes both ways.

Officials let them play Sunday and it was a well-officiated game.

What about Matthews blatant push off right before halftime that allowed Seattle to score?

It goes both ways.

Officials let them play Sunday and it was a well-officiated game.

Pretty sure Edelman pushed off when he scored the last TD.

He probably does, I dont know. But if someone is trying to convince me that Bevell may have decided to ride the entire Super Bowl on a pass play because of this stat then those people are as retarded as the play that Bevell actually called. 

The quickest play is a QB sneak. If Bevell was afraid that that Lynch wouldnt get in on 2nd and less than 1 then he's a f'ing fool because there's such a thing as 3rd down and 4th down along with the fact that Seattle had timeouts. You dont call a slant play in the middle of the field in a situation like that. The stat is irrelevant.

I actually agree 100 percent, they waaaaaay overthought it.

what about the clear hit to Allen's plant leg?

They let them play.

Yep, like I said, I thought the officials did a great job in the game.

I feel the worst non-call was Brady's intentional grounding that was not flagged.

He was inside the hash marks and dumped it off over the middle and there were no Pats receivers within 15 yards.

Yep, like I said, I thought the officials did a great job in the game.

I feel the worst non-call was Brady's intentional grounding that was not flagged.

He was inside the hash marks and dumped it off over the middle and there were no Pats receivers within 15 yards.

Yeah agreed the refs didn't lose the game. Hey if you see Alk around be sure to congratulate him for me as I know he's not a bandwagon fan like yourself.

Archived