Egos

BroadwayJets

Why'd Pete Carroll elect to throw it in that situation? Had Lynch ran it in, which he probably would have, that means he most likely would have won MVP. Imagine Goodell handing the Super bowl MVP to Marshawn Lynch? after this week? Or did Pete Carroll want his QB to get the credit for throwing the Super Bowl winning touchdown? Either way such a bone-headed move. I would have ran it to Lynch all 4 times had he failed the first 3. 

Just something to think about, let it filter through the board, I don't mind/care. 

I don't think it was the reason they passed on that occasion. I think Bevell probably figured he could outsmart the Pats by passing in an obvious beastmode situation and get the td. They would pick on a rook and it would be a crowning achievement. Problem was that the Pats had run that exact play in practice and the rook already had been beaten and was better prepared. He jumped the route and the rest is history. 

Beast Mode all day and then on the last play no Beast Mode? Stupidity...plain and simple. 

LL

Carroll didn't want to run and miss on 2nd down and have to burn their final TO.

That would put them in an obvious pass situation on 3rd down if they hoped to have a 4th down.

Carroll wanted to give himself as many chances as possible.

In our minds, we wanted Lynch to bust through and end the damn game ASAP.

Beast Mode all day and then on the last play no Beast Mode? Stupidity...plain and simple. 

LL

That's actually football 101 in terms of playcalling, that's how you catch people off guard. That's how playaction works, that's how you stretch the field. By running the ball all the time and then when the defense tries to stop the run you go for the pass. Makes perfect sense and happens all the time. But you just don't take that risk of getting sacked there or throwing an INT in that type of situation. You have 3 attempts to get the ball in from the 1yd line. If you can't do that by running 3 straight times you're just too stupid to win the game. Or just not good enough. You don't deserve it.

So in general that would have been the perfect call. Not in the superbowl with 20 seconds left on the clock on 2nd down at the 1yd line when you're behind.

As for WHY Pete decided to throw the ball there, he already said why. The Pats had their goal line defense out there, running the ball probably would not have ended in a TD on that play so he thought that it was a mismatch and that they could take advantage of that mismatch by throwing the ball. It backfired.

Something tells me Lynch would have never have been denied that close to the goal line!

He's 235 LBs of BADAZZ!

Here's what really pisses me off, in the biggest parts of any game in any sport, you go to the guys that got you there!

Jerry Rice

John Taylor

Santonio Holmes

Larry Fitzgerald tying the game

Look who Brady kept going to ....Edelman & Gronk

You have a guy in the backfield called "BEASTMODE" & your on the 1 yard line with a TO

You have probably the slipperiest QB in football today taking the snap

So what do you do?

You call a slant OVER THE MIDDLE MIND YOU where there are 16 hands on defense & you try it with a JAG receiver who had all of 13 catches previously!

It's not like they were throwing to Dez Bryant or D Thomas, lol.

DUMBEST CALL EVER!

It was so dumb that it actually fooled the hell out of me watching, I had just told my wife Pats can't stop Lynch & before I know what's happening Russell is in shotgun & I was like WTF at the same time the ball was picked off.

I had no clue what happened right away but my 1st reaction was OMG! They had the Pats where they wanted them

AND THEY LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!

Dennis Greens head would have blown right off his head!

Why'd Pete Carroll elect to throw it in that situation? Had Lynch ran it in, which he probably would have, that means he most likely would have won MVP. Imagine Goodell handing the Super bowl MVP to Marshawn Lynch? after this week? Or did Pete Carroll want his QB to get the credit for throwing the Super Bowl winning touchdown? Either way such a bone-headed move. I would have ran it to Lynch all 4 times had he failed the first 3. 

Just something to think about, let it filter through the board, I don't mind/care. 

I must admit, the thought ran through my head that they wanted to let Wilson throw the game winning TD....

It's not what happened but the thought popped into my head.  The reality is Carroll choked - wrong decision to pass, wrong pass play to choose, wrong receiver to target - it's not just the run/pass option that made this worst call in the history of the game.

Imagine him handing it to "Balls" Brady......

That's actually football 101 in terms of playcalling, that's how you catch people off guard. That's how playaction works, that's how you stretch the field. By running the ball all the time and then when the defense tries to stop the run you go for the pass. Makes perfect sense and happens all the time. But you just don't take that risk of getting sacked there or throwing an INT in that type of situation. You have 3 attempts to get the ball in from the 1yd line. If you can't do that by running 3 straight times you're just too stupid to win the game. Or just not good enough. You don't deserve it.

So in general that would have been the perfect call. Not in the superbowl with 20 seconds left on the clock on 2nd down at the 1yd line when you're behind.

As for WHY Pete decided to throw the ball there, he already said why. The Pats had their goal line defense out there, running the ball probably would not have ended in a TD on that play so he thought that it was a mismatch and that they could take advantage of that mismatch by throwing the ball. It backfired.

i can care less, but the pats could not stop the beast all game long why go that way? that's all

There isn't a Pats fan alive that thought they were going to win that game once Lynch ran to the 1/2 yard line.

Any of them that tells you they did is a liar!

100% of them were sh*tting their pants envisioning the next handoff to Beastmode & doubting that their Dline could stop him.

I can't even imagine what it was like to be Pat fan & the relief that they tried to throw.

I would have had a heart attack if my Jets were in the same position!

But, if it was my Jets, Carroll would have handed off to Lynch, he would blast in for the TD & the rest would have been typical a Jets history. The teams that succumb to the Pats mystique is just weird?

Like a quote I saw, "a 12 year old playing Madden would have won that Super Bowl"

He would have smashed Lynch down their throats! Lol!

I don't think it was the reason they passed on that occasion. I think Bevell probably figured he could outsmart the Pats by passing in an obvious beastmode situation and get the td. They would pick on a rook and it would be a crowning achievement. Problem was that the Pats had run that exact play in practice and the rook already had been beaten and was better prepared. He jumped the route and the rest is history. 

LL

The Seahawks ran on 3rd and 1 from the 8 yd line earlier in the 2nd half and lost 2 or 3 yards on the play and settled for the FG.    I think that played into the playcall at the goal line.  

If anything I think the better call their was zone read with lynch/wilson or some type of bootleg where wilson can run throw, run, or throw it away.   It seemed like they were setting up the zone read all game and wilson never kept the ball.    I understand not wanting to slam it into the line but I don't understand that particular play call in that situation, too many bodies and chances for a tipped pass int.    

they didn't want to run on the goal line group

not the worst idea ever

I think the hawks will be looking for a TE in the off season, they are so crucial in those spots

That's fair, but you at least have to run a play action pass, no?

The Seahawks ran on 3rd and 1 from the 8 yd line earlier in the 2nd half and lost 2 or 3 yards on the play and settled for the FG.    I think that played into the playcall at the goal line.  

If anything I think the better call their was zone read with lynch/wilson or some type of bootleg where wilson can run throw, run, or throw it away.   It seemed like they were setting up the zone read all game and wilson never kept the ball.    I understand not wanting to slam it into the line but I don't understand that particular play call in that situation, too many bodies and chances for a tipped pass int.    

The image of Michael Jackson dangling the baby over the balcony comes to mind.

If you add up Carroll's comments, it's pretty clear they didn't consider the risks of that play call.

Carroll didn't want to run and miss on 2nd down and have to burn their final TO.

That would put them in an obvious pass situation on 3rd down if they hoped to have a 4th down.

Carroll wanted to give himself as many chances as possible.

In our minds, we wanted Lynch to bust through and end the damn game ASAP.

Which would have made it a perfect opportunity to run the ball. 

Actually the play by the Hawks happens a fair bit in the NFL, teams passing on 1st down or 2nd down down near the goal line.  It can work if you have a sure fire go to play such as the fade but I've always thought it silly not to run the ball.  However this is where I differ re running from the one.

I would never bring in extra blockers, a big block by an extra lineman from the one almost never gets you the td but the extra player you brought into the box from the D can make a stop in the back field.   I like teams that go 4 WR's spread it out and spread the defense out.  Also don;t run it up the gut, that is where the other team stacks things up, run off tackle.

For that last play if they were going to pass it roll wilson out and have your two passing options, a back just over the goal line and a WR at the back line.  QB passes if one is wide open, runs it in if they are covered or throws it into row 20 if the D penetrates too quick.  A pass was a poor call, the type of pass was a horrible call.

Perhaps, if they were willing to give up a potential 4th try. 

If you're less than 1 yard away and you've gone through OTA's, preseason, reg season and you can't get a yard, then you deserve to lose. I personally wouldnt be worried about 4th down because If I was the coach, I'd be confident that I prepared this team to fight for that 1 yard the entire season. Calling that slant play basically threw away all of the hard work those guys put in to get to that spot. Not every team has the ability to cheat and get away with it like the Pats, so its not nearly as easy for the Seahawks. 

Im not a hawks fan, but that play even hurt me. 

If you're less than 1 yard away and you've gone through OTA's, preseason, reg season and you can't get a yard, then you deserve to lose. I personally wouldnt be worried about 4th down because If I was the coach, I'd be confident that I prepared this team to fight for that 1 yard the entire season. Calling that slant play basically threw away all of the hard work those guys put in to get to that spot. Not every team has the ability to cheat and get away with it like the Pats, so its not nearly as easy for the Seahawks. 

Precisely; plus you have one of the most powerful and punishing runners in the game who almost always falls FORWARD when tackled and who can just about TASTE the endzone and you don't even give him the OPPORTUNITY???   I give Lynch credit for taking the high road but he will be thinking about this along, long time... 

3rd quarter, 3rd and 1 from the 8 yard line they did exactly that and were summarily stuffed.  

3rd quarter, 3rd and 1 from the 8 yard line they did exactly that and were summarily stuffed.  

2nd and goal at the 1 with 20 seconds left and a time out isn't the same as 3rd and 1 and getting stuffed. Also, you forget to mention that one of Lynch's TD's was right on the goal line. he took multiple hits, spun around, fell forward and scored in that very game. It was 3rd down and 2, from the 3 yard line and Lynch scored. 

It sucks, but it only hurts because an undeserving crooked team got the prize. If it were the Colts none of us would care.

We'll never know what could've been if they ran it twice or more. It's too easy to write imaginary endings after the fact.

Could've been a penalty, offsides, etc. There's a 1000 plays I wish they called instead of that one  - only because Lockette whiffed completely.

If he knocked it down they'd still be alive. 

I doubt Pete was thinking about the MVP. I doubt Pete was thinking.

You are allowed to pass in that situation if it's the 2nd quarter of a wk 4 game. Not the last minute of the SB.

It sucks, but it only hurts because an undeserving crooked team got the prize. If it were the Colts none of us would care.

We'll never know what could've been if they ran it twice or more. It's too easy to write imaginary endings after the fact.

Could've been a penalty, offsides, etc. There's a 1000 plays I wish they called instead of that one  - only because Lockette whiffed completely.

If he knocked it down they'd still be alive. 

You're totally right. My problem isn't with the Patriots winning games. My problem is the Patriots winning games with the person who mastermind the cheating of spy gate (the coach) to benefit his QB and team. And with the deflating of the balls, it seems like the QB (Brady) is now taking those same cheating practices from his coach. 

They need to be dismissed from the NFL but instead they're allowed to cheat and have the investigation put aside in order not to impact the biggest game in football based on any  findings and win superbowls. That in itself shows me that the Patriots have become bigger than the game itself. It reeks and I'm not a fan of it. So yeah, you're absolutely right. 

What made it worse is it's such a risky play. Throwing it across the middle, when ******* everyone is across the middle waiting for Lynch was so retarded.

A fade to the huge WR would have made sense, knowing the worst case scenario is that he can probably tip it away or even interfere if it's that bad. The play called was just insane. Even if he catches it I would have stepped back and thought what the **** they were thinking. Used to do that with Schotty a lot even when we scored. 

LL

Too clever by half aka Brian Schottenheimer disease

Well now Pete Carroll has won a SB for the Hawks and won a SB for the Patriots. It beckons the ridiculous - was the fix in? I know it was not, however, the play call and execution was so preposterously pi$$ poor, it boggles any (sane) mind. What the flying heck difference would it have made anyway, had they actually "fooled" the Patriots and scored the SB winning TD via a pass as opposed to the 99% chance of success running 3 times? I mean why? Why? What did they stand to gain? The whole thing is unfathomable. Yet here we are.

I still can't believe what I saw. I have been asking myself if this could have been a fix. Relax guys, I know it was not a fix. Was it?

Archived