So the new formula is to pass 50 times a game and have medicore defense?

Beerfish

The NFL being the big copy cat league goes through these cycles and a lot of fans buy into it as well.  A team wins the big one and then that is the big formula to winning it all.  last year the Seahawks win it and people swear up and down that great D and ground and pound is the way to go and they proceed to site the Bears, Ravens etc.  The fact that they crushed the juggernaught Broncos was proof positive to this.

I've always dismissed these rather one sided 'formulas' for winning it all.  In my opinion you have to be really good at what you have chosen to make your team.  The Pats with their short passing game.  Create turnovers on D.  Each time a new coach or management team comes on board they seem to want to totally deviate from the teams past and thus spend a few years just rolling over personell.

You need to do one thing really really well and just be competent in other phases.  You for sure need an eye to have good depth on your team.  In alot of super bowls some no name 3rd stringer comes up with the plays that make the difference.  (The reason we lost to Indy in the AFC title game a few years back was simply because their 3rd best receiver killed our 3rd best cover guy.)

One thing I will say that the much hated Idzik had right in his comments was building for 'sustained success'.  That is how you win multiple super bowls.  It's really hard to win 2 in a row or 2 out of 3 but if you are like the Pats and always in the playoffs and always contending you will win your share.

What say you all?  What is your magic formula?

who better?

I would like to see Joe Montana's numbers had he played with this era's rules. Or Johnny Unitas. Or Dan Marino (whom I hate as much as Brady. ) 

It's really hard to compare QBs across generations. Can you imagine Namath playing in this era, where breathing on the QB draws a penalty and receivers can't be anally raped like they could in the 1960s?

Montana was 4-0 in SBs and never threw a pick and beat two Hall of Famers in his and a third guy who belongs in the Hall in Ken Anderson and he played circles around them in those games. 

For all his accomplishments they threw out a stat in the first quarter last night that blew me away. Tom Brady is 1 for 22 on passes that travel 20 yards or more in Super Bowl play. Wilson completed at least four last night alone. I don't know what historical significance that has but it seems to me that the best of all time would be able to connect on more than one deep ball in six Super Bowl games. 

Everyone has their own opinion. For me it's between Brady and Montana. Can't go wrong either way.

Montana actually had a good innovative coach

Brady is saddled with career loser Belicheat

Belicheat - (Brady+Cheating+Bevell) = Kotite

I would like to see Joe Montana's numbers had he played with this era's rules. Or Johnny Unitas. Or Dan Marino (whom I hate as much as Brady. ) 

It's really hard to compare QBs across generations. Can you imagine Namath playing in this era, where breathing on the QB draws a penalty and receivers can't be anally raped like they could in the 1960s?

Montana was 4-0 in SBs and never threw a pick and beat two Hall of Famers in his and a third guy who belongs in the Hall in Ken Anderson and he played circles around them in those games. 

For all his accomplishments they threw out a stat in the first quarter last night that blew me away. Tom Brady is 1 for 22 on passes that travel 20 yards or more in Super Bowl play. Wilson completed at least four last night alone. I don't know what historical significance that has but it seems to me that the best of all time would be able to connect on more than one deep ball in six Super Bowl games. 

I was going to mention Marino but I just couldn't. Hate that mother f'er.

Montana was on loaded teams with an all time great at WR1 and they were running an innovative offense (for the time), the fact that there was no drop off going to young really says something

There is no winning formula to championships.  There is players who buy into the system, know their job, and execute when its time for them to execute.  And coaches who know how to best use the personnel they have, teach the players what they need to know to be prepared for anything that can happen.  Patriots are consistently good because they are the best prepared team week in and week out.  They know what they have to do, and most of the time get it done.  They dont accept mediocrity.  They arent afraid to make changes when necessary.  And having a few talented players doesnt hurt either.

Montana was on loaded teams with an all time great at WR1 and they were running an innovative offense (for the time), the fact that there was no drop off going to young really says something

Everybody forgets that Montana's first two Super Bowl wins came before anyone ever heard Jerry Rice's name. :Nuts: There was a drop off. They had just won back to back SBs and came damn close to going to a third straight and it took Young five years (longer than any of Montana's SB droughts) to finally go back and win one and he too was a Hall of Famer. It not like he passed the torch to Todd Blackledge and they continued to have the same success. 

I don't know what historical significance that has but it seems to me that the best of all time would be able to connect on more than one deep ball in six Super Bowl games. 

What kind of trophy do you win by completing a pass of over 20 yards?

No other QB in the history of the Super Bowl has more wins, completions, TD passes and yards thrown than Brady.

BTW, did you like his 20+yard pass to Gronk for a perfectly thrown TD pass last night?

Everybody forgets that Montana's first two Super Bowl wins came before anyone ever heard Jerry Rice's name. :Nuts: There was a drop off. They had just won back to back SBs and came damn close to going to a third straight and it took Young five years (longer than any of Montana's SB droughts) to finally go back and win one and he too was a Hall of Famer. It not like he passed the torch to Todd Blackledge and they continued to have the same success. 

well now you are grading it on SB's a team accomplishment.. and brady's been to 6, whereas young was facing off with loaded cowboy teams

When I said drop off, I meant individual statistics, and there was none. In fact, young was superior

And if you're going to beat up Montana for winning two SBs with Jerry Rice, what is Brady's excuse for NOT winning any SBs with Randy Moss? 

And if you're going to beat up Montana for winning two SBs with Jerry Rice, what is Brady's excuse for NOT winning any SBs with Randy Moss? 

They play that game 10 times and the giants win 1 of them, any given sunday

well now you are grading it on SB's a team accomplishment.. and brady's been to 6, whereas young was facing off with loaded cowboy teams

When I said drop off, I meant individual statistics, and there was none. In fact, young was superior

Dude, I said Brady is the best of his era. You're a Jets fan. Stop acting like a ******* troll for once in your life. 

There is no winning formula to championships.  There is players who buy into the system, know their job, and execute when its time for them to execute.  And coaches who know how to best use the personnel they have, teach the players what they need to know to be prepared for anything that can happen.  Patriots are consistently good because they are the best prepared team week in and week out.  They know what they have to do, and most of the time get it done.  They dont accept mediocrity.  They arent afraid to make changes when necessary.  And having a few talented players doesnt hurt either.

Agreed.  A lot of fans and yes teams themselves buy into the winning formula by emulating the last team to win.

Archived