Yoan Moncada Sweepstakes

Morrissey

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox reportedly have landed the latest free-agent prize out of Cuba, coming to terms with 19-year-old switch-hitting infielder Yoan Moncada.

MLB.com reports that Moncada will receive a signing bonus in the range of $30 million.

Neither the club nor Moncada's agent, David Hastings, had confirmed the deal as of midmorning Monday. Hastings had targeted Monday so Moncada could head to spring training as soon as possible.

Twitter@yoanmoncadaSwitch-hitting infielder Yoan Moncada, who turns 20 in May, hit .277 over two seasons in Cuba's Serie Nacional -- the island's top league.

The Red Sox, who in August signed Cuban center fielder Rusney Castillo to a six-year, $72.5 million deal, had long been considered one of the favorites to sign Moncada. The New York Yankees also targeted Moncada and reportedly conducted multiple private workouts for him, including one late last week.

Given his age and relative inexperience, the assumption is that Moncada will begin this season in the the minor leagues, but the player has said he expects that stay to be short.

"He's a younger Robinson Cano type with better speed and more positional versatility," one National League executive told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. "Our people think that he would likely go 1/1 [first round, first pick] in the [first-year player] draft if it were held today, and that he has more upside than any free agent on the market. I don't know much about his overall makeup, but everything says this is a special kid -- and his numbers in youth tournaments are unbelievable."

It remains to be seen where the Red Sox will play him. The Sox would appear to be set at second base, shortstop and third base with Dustin Pedroia, Xander Bogaerts and Pablo Sandoval, and the outfield is also crowded.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Moncada batted .277 in two seasons with Cienfuegos in Cuba's Serie Nacional before leaving the country last year with the permission of the Cuban government. He held a workout for a reported 70 to 100 MLB talent evaluators in Guatemala in November.

Moncada officially hit the open market last week when MLB eliminated its requirement that Cuban players obtain a license from the U.S. government before becoming eligible to sign with big league teams.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Padres, Giants, Tigers, Braves, Brewers, Rays and Angels were among the teams that have scouted Moncada or invited him in for private workouts, according to sources and media reports.

That's crazy.

Still, you have to wonder about giving 30 million to a 19 year old kid.  Will he do the work to make it, or will he do what a lot of 19 year olds do and party and not get there.

True.

Hopefully, for the Sox, he can see that 30 is merely the tip of the iceberg.

they just finished last place lol

spent all their money on 2 veterans who are past their primes and did nothing to address their pitching staff

that's because they're willing to blow up their team when it's not working. Yankees on the other hand will wager the future to finish above .500.

spent all their money on 2 veterans who are past their primes and did nothing to address their pitching staff

And yet they are one calendar year removed from a 3rd World Series in ten years.

They can get a couple starting pitchers in a trade. Our starting pitching rotation might actually end up being worse if tanaka ends up needing the Tommy John.

Yankees can no longer live off those drafts and moves Gene Michael made in the early 90's that set up their run of competitive play from 1993-2012. Hal and Hank lack their fathers passion. This is becoming a train wreck.

Watch the mets have a better year

Traded for Rick Porcello, traded for Wade Miley, signed Justin Masterson, signed Alexi Ogando, traded for Varvaro, traded for Robbie Ross. Yeah. Did nothing to address the pitching staff.

And I doubt they're done with the surplus of bats they have.

Hanley is 31 and Sandoval is 28. I wouldn't say either player is beyond their prime years. The Yankees, however, are notorious for signing players to big contracts beyond their prime years.

Traded for Rick Porcello, traded for Wade Miley, signed Justin Masterson, signed Alexi Ogando, traded for Varvaro, traded for Robbie Ross. Yeah. Did nothing to address the pitching staff.

Hanley is 31 and Sandoval is 28. I wouldn't say either player is beyond their prime years. The Yankees, however, are notorious for signing players to big contracts beyond their prime years.

It is BO.  Take it with a grain of salt.

I like what the Sox did this off season.  Toronto as well.

Archived