Jets Trade Down on Draft Day Could be More Reality Than Fantasy

JetNation

I agree with much of what you said.  Tampa takes Winston, Jags and Raiders take the best on their board (not Mariotta)  Yes, could Tenn really be that much in love their 6th round QB?

Washington is almost ready to cut bait on RGIII and they would be mistaken to not draft a QB they like - because of ego...

Personally I want Mariotta and if he falls to us I would say absolutely take him (but that's not the point) Even if they didn't want him I just don't know how he gets passed either the Titans or Redskins.

Some more thoughts on Tenn and Wash.

When Mettenberger took over at QB for the titans early in the season I did hear a draft analyst on sports radio (forget which one) say that of all the QB's that went late, he felt Mettenberger was the one that could have legitimately gone in round 3.  One of those "he dropped but not sure why" guys.  Well before the Titans had the number two pick there was a lot of talk about how happy they were with him so it's not as if this is a last second smoke screen.  Come draft day we'll find out.

Regularly hear that Snyder loves Griffin and wants to find a way for RGIII and Gruden to make things work.  However, I saw a report the other day that the 'skins sent out letters to their fans outlining all of their young talent moving forward and RGIII's name did not appear in the letter.  Oversight?  Intentional?  We shall see.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I saw a report the other day that the 'skins sent out letters to their fans outlining all of their young talent moving forward and RGIII's name did not appear in the letter.  Oversight?  Intentional?  We shall see.

That made all the papers around here.  I don't think it was an oversight, but I would not read too much into it.  There has been so much volatility with the RGIII thing that I think they just wanted to distance themselves from Griffin as the face of the franchise.  As they move forward there will be potential for some nasty quotes from his camp and the fanbase seems kind of split on him. A great many of them see him as an injury prone coach killer that they gave up way to much to get.  No reason to poke at them by having his picture plastered all over the brochure.

Some more thoughts on Tenn and Wash.

When Mettenberger took over at QB for the titans early in the season I did hear a draft analyst on sports radio (forget which one) say that of all the QB's that went late, he felt Mettenberger was the one that could have legitimately gone in round 3.  One of those "he dropped but not sure why" guys.  Well before the Titans had the number two pick there was a lot of talk about how happy they were with him so it's not as if this is a last second smoke screen.  Come draft day we'll find out.

Regularly hear that Snyder loves Griffin and wants to find a way for RGIII and Gruden to make things work.  However, I saw a report the other day that the 'skins sent out letters to their fans outlining all of their young talent moving forward and RGIII's name did not appear in the letter.  Oversight?  Intentional?  We shall see.

Interesting on Mettenberger, I didn't (and still don't) know a lot about him - but if Tenn. does see him as the potential franchise then they're going to want to put some weapons around him...If he Mariotta gets past two, things will get very interesting.

If Washington takes him they'll likely trade RGIII and take what they can get.  Same thing with the Jets, I don't see how Geno is on the team if the Jets draft a first round QB.  

if Oakland really wants Cooper then they wouldn't trade with Philly. I can't see Washington making a big trade within the division so if Marriotta gets pass #2 I really think he is available at 6. Then there is instant drama for the ne regime and fans. Is he our savior? Would Chip Kelly pay the price to move up to our spot? Is there a dark horse team that would try and move up for him? i'm still not 100 percent sold on Marriotta but I wouldn't be upset if we picked him.

I think Philly would try to move up to 4 as they wouldn't want to lose Mariota to the Skins or the Jets, if they want to make a move.

And what made him think that meant draft picks?

Good point...you didn't say picks only.

So many gaps on the roster to fill...why do I feel like I say that every off-season with this team? 

Thanks man...not here to say it will happen because nobody knows that, but more reasons that usual to think it could/might.

There are no absolutes but if one of the QBs is on the board and Jets aren't in love and someone else is, a trade could make sense, as you point out.

Got tired of listening to Eagles/Mariota talk on my drive in this morning so I tune in to NFL radio on Sirius XM.  First thing I hear the host say to the caller is "I could see Chip trying to trade up to  number five to jump in front of the Jets to grab Mariota".  Went on to say he thinks Mettenberger played well enough to get a shot, Jax/Oak don't need QB's and 'Skins likely want more picks.  Again, I'd be surprised if the Skins hand Mariota to a division rival  but they could be that desperate.

Found some stuff on Chip Kelly today that's noteworthy as part of this discussion. For those who say the deal is impossible, that's cool...we're all entitled to our opinions.

For those like me, who see it as a realistic option, here are a couple of things worth mentioning.

A big reason why some people view a deal as being impossible is the number of picks required to move up to No. 6 (or higher) would be too much. That, of course is based on the assumption that Kelly values draft picks as much as fans and other GM's, but that may not be the case.

- Last season, with Kelly said to be making the picks, he did show up to the draft unprepared by his own admission.  After the Eagles shocked everyone by taking projected 3rd round DE/OLB Marcus Smith, Kelly said that the Eagles showed up on draft day with a list of five or six names.  He followed that comment with "unfortunately, other teams ahead of us liked those players too".  In essence, he showed up for round one and wasn't ready to draft.  As it turned out, Smith spent most of the season as a third-string special teams player who didn't dress more often than not, playing a total of 74 snaps on defense.

- When asked about what the most surprising thing was to him as an NFL coach he said it was how much coverage there is of the draft.  He said that during combine drills he would sometimes take naps. 

Now another report saying that Kelly will do whatever it takes to get Mariota makes me thinking he might be crazy enough to trade up to no. 1 or 2 no matter what the price.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philadelphia-eagles-marcus-mariota-chip-kelly-nfl-draft-whatever-it-takes-oregon-ducks-qb-021815?adbsc=social_20150218_40718716&adbid=10153637492524552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551

How badly do the Philadelphia Eagles want Marcus Mariota as their quarterback?

They reportedly are "going to do whatever it takes" to trade up for him in the NFL Draft.

Eagles beat reporter Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer was on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly Wednesday and said he expects the Eagles to try hard to get Mariota. Very hard.

“Unless I’m missing something here, if Marcus Mariota is available, the Eagles are going to do whatever it takes to get him,” McLane told The Fanatic’s Eytan Shander and Harry Mayes.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that (coach) Chip Kelly loves Mariota. He’s equated him to Peyton Manning. So he wants Marcus Mariota. What we don’t know (is) if he thinks Marcus is worth what he thinks it will take to move up to go get him. They’re going to make a real strong effort to go up and get him.”

This is major news. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the first pick in the draft and are believed to be choosing between Mariota and Jameis Winston. Some reports say they are leaning toward Mariota, while others say the opposite is true.

Even if the Bucs don’t take Mariota, the Eagles need to determine how high they would need to move up from their spot at No. 20 in order to take the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/philadelphia-eagles-marcus-mariota-chip-kelly-nfl-draft-whatever-it-takes-oregon-ducks-qb-021815?adbsc=social_20150218_40718716&adbid=10153637492524552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551

Archived