Todd Mcshay's Mock Draft 2.0

Jetlife33

6) - Marcus Mariota - New York Jets (4-12)

COLLEGE: Oregon

Class: Jr

HT: 6-4

WT: 211

POS: QB

Analysis: Mariota could slide even further than this on draft day, but I think this pick makes sense for the Jets given their need at QB and the presence of Chan Gailey at offensive coordinator. Gailey can adapt his scheme to any QB and has a history with spread-formation offenses, so he's capable of providing Mariota with a smooth transition to the NFL from his up-tempo spread system at Oregon. Mariota has rare athleticism for the QB position (including prototypical size) and outstanding intangibles, but his one area of concern -- consistently being able to win from the pocket -- is the most important trait you need to succeed at the NFL level. So how a team caters its approach to him and develops him as an accurate passer from the pocket will be critical.

1) - Jameis Winston - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-14)

COLLEGE: Florida State

Class: Soph

HT: 6-4

WT: 235

POS: QB

Analysis: The Bucs don't currently have a franchise quarterback on their roster, and while both of the top two QB prospects in this year's class carry with them significant risks (along with considerable talent and upside), it could be tough for them to pass on both. If you factor in only on-field performance, Winston should be the No. 1 choice. He beats opponents from the pocket with very good accuracy, arm strength and anticipation, and his on-field intangibles and leadership are positives as well. The concerns with Winston obviously have to do with his off-field behavior, and any team that drafts him is going to have to trust him enough from a character and psychological standpoint to make him the face of its franchise. That's a big risk, but NFL teams know that they can't win consistently without good quarterback play. And the Bucs could decide that Marcus Mariota's need to transition from Oregon's up-tempo spread offense to the NFL represents an even greater risk -- albeit in a very different way.

Some people are really buying into the whole Mettenberger thing. I don't see it. I agree with you.

I think the issue is that both of these QBs have red flags, but very different red flags. I'm sure there are teams who love one guy and hate the other. It's possible Tennessee would jump at one of them, but wouldn't touch the other with a ten foot pole.

It's still so early in the process, and the big story is these two guys. They are going to be dissected over the next four months or so.

I think Winston would be the more interesting debate at 6. I wonder how much Bowles' experience with The Honey Badger would Impact his desire to give another anti-authority nut job a shot. Conversely, I wonder if Maccagnan--after getting an up-close look at the Clowney debacle--would shy away from giving a troubled player a shot.

Pick Team Player 1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State 2 Tennessee Titans Leonard Williams, DE, USC 3 Jacksonville Jaguars Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska 4 Oakland Raiders Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama 5 Washington Redskins Shane Ray, DE, Missouri 6 New York Jets Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon 7 Chicago Bears Danny Shelton, DT, Washington 8 Atlanta Falcons Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon 9 New York Giants Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa 10 St. Louis Rams Kevin White, WR, West Virginia 11 Minnesota Vikings Devante Parker, WR, Louisville 12 Cleveland Browns T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh 13 New Orleans Saints Dante Fowler Jr., DE, Florida 14 Miami Dolphins Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State 15 San Francisco 49ers Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State 16 Houston Texans Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford 17 San Diego Chargers Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State 18 Kansas City Chiefs Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma 19 Cleveland Browns (via Buffalo) Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan 20 Philadelphia Eagles Landon Collins, S, Alabama 21 Cincinnati Bengals Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson 22 Pittsburgh Steelers Marcus Peters, CB, Washington 23 Detroit Lions Malcom Brown, DT, Texas 24 Arizona Cardinals Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami (FL) 25 Carolina Panthers Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (FL) 26 Baltimore Ravens Jalen Collin, CB, LSU 27 Dallas Cowboys Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin 28 Denver Broncos La'El Collins, OT, LSU 29 Indianapolis Colts Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia 30 Green Bay Packers Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota 31 Seattle Seahawks Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia 32 New England Patriots Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

Archived