Geno Smith comming back with vengance

NCJETSFAN

Seriously, you guys are ready to dump this kid already. I was as crazy as anyone last season with his erratic play. Wanted to shoot my TV at least 20 times watching him play.

Yet here are the facts , often he was not well protected and running for his life. The weapons he had to help him were often times, almost as bad as he was.

Then factor in what we are beginning to hear about what was going on behind closed doors between the coaching staff and the GM. It appears to me that last year was quite dysfunctional, which is never good for a young QB.

Then look at games like Green Bay, both Pats games and of course the final in Mia and you have to be blind not to see the potential in Geno. Yes, he had horrendous games like Buffalo and a few others. Yet, so do many other young QB's, Brett Farve comes to mind in his younger days. I'm not saying Geno is on Farve's level but it's really to early to tell.

This will be the year that determines Geno's future, this year he establishes himself as a starter or a long term backup. Many here have called Geno everything from stupid to lazy. I can't believe this young man made it thru the rookie vetting process with these traits. Many believe he is inaccurate on his throws, yet when he is allowed to set his feet, we have all seen him drop the ball in perfectly on both his short and deep routes as well as he side line passes.

The kid has skills and the physical tools to be a very good QB on this level. The question becomes can he step up and prove it. This coming season will probably be his last opportunity to do this.

So this would my plan for Geno for the up coming season.

Geno begins the offseason program as the clear starter. Chan begins to work with him and install a system he feels will best allow Geno to grow and develop further.

At the same time, Geno must be told that his starting role is not guaranteed.

Then a solid, preferably, young vet ie Foles or a Glennon is brought in, to fight Geno for the job. This is why I want a young challenger, I want a guy who does not want to settle for being number two.

Then we also draft a developmental QB this year as well, unless they feel Simms can fill that role. In which case he and the draftee can fight it out for the third spot.

We go into training camp with the clear understanding that best player starts, no if, ands or buts. If Geno has a problem with that, then we will find another club willing to take a chance on him and move on.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face it; odds are there is no one we can sign in FA that will be demonstrably better then Smith. I know it is hard medicine but it is also reality.

If there was actually a better qb available in FA I'd be all for it but there isn't. Even the draft is horrible. Bryce Petty would be a middle round pick most years he might get drafted in the first round it's so bad.

Unfortunately drafts like 1983 or 2004 happen once every generation. Outside of Winston where is the talent at qb in this draft?

Seriously, you guys are ready to dump this kid already. I was as crazy as anyone last season with his erratic play. Wanted to shoot my TV at least 20 times watching him play.

Yet here are the facts , often he was not well protected and running for his life. The weapons he had to help him were often times, almost as bad as he was.

Then factor in what we are beginning to hear about what was going on behind closed doors between the coaching staff and the GM. It appears to me that last year was quite dysfunctional, which is never good for a young QB.

Then look at games like Green Bay, both Pats games and of course the final in Mia and you have to be blind not to see the potential in Geno. Yes, he had horrendous games like Buffalo and a few others. Yet, so do many other young QB's, Brett Farve comes to mind in his younger days. I'm not saying Geno is on Farve's level but it's really to early to tell.

This will be the year that determines Geno's future, this year he establishes himself as a starter or a long term backup. Many here have called Geno everything from stupid to lazy. I can't believe this young man made it thru the rookie vetting process with these traits. Many believe he is inaccurate on his throws, yet when he is allowed to set his feet, we have all seen him drop the ball in perfectly on both his short and deep routes as well as he side line passes.

The kid has skills and the physical tools to be a very good QB on this level. The question becomes can he step up and prove it. This coming season will probably be his last opportunity to do this.

So this would my plan for Geno for the up coming season.

Geno begins the offseason program as the clear starter. Chan begins to work with him and install a system he feels will best allow Geno to grow and develop further.

At the same time, Geno must be told that his starting role is not guaranteed.

Then a solid, preferably, young vet ie Foles or a Glennon is brought in, to fight Geno for the job. This is why I want a young challenger, I want a guy who does not want to settle for being number two.

Then we also draft a developmental QB this year as well, unless they feel Simms can fill that role. In which case he and the draftee can fight it out for the third spot.

We go into training camp with the clear understanding that best player starts, no if, ands or buts. If Geno has a problem with that, then we will find another club willing to take a chance on him and move on.

Great post!

I see a young Black kid learning the NFL game on the fly with little to no help from his OC and skilled position players. Last yr when Eric Decker was hurt and before Harvin showed up, the Jets had no receivers who could fight for a football and take it away from a DB.

The running game is solid, but one sided and the league knows it. Instead of sticking to what work, the Jets often get cute and leave their inexperienced QB behind in the down, forcing him to make a play.

When I look at Geno Smith I see a kid with a live arm, Mobility and the guts to say what he thinks. It's not his fault that he was forced into something he was not ready for.

Sorry to say but Geno needs to go to Canada. He is not an NFL QB.

Geno is dumb.

Geno isn't a leader.

Geno doesn't recognize blitzes.

Geno isn't accurate.

If Geno is the starter next year we are doomed. 6 wins max as a team. Geno might be MVP of two of those games, and we'll win the other four in spite of him.

He is god-awful and I have very very very little faith that he's the starter week 1. But...it's the Jets, so he probably starts.

Yet he won 8 games as a rookie.,,

Archived