A Week in the Life of ’ D’Brickashaw Ferguson

F.Chowds

As the regular season came to an end for the Jets, we were deeply disappointed. It wasn’t just that we’d won only four games. It was what that record meant for the team: Rex Ryangot fired, and a new head coach and general manager were coming in. Next season will be my 10th in the NFL, and I know that team personnel change a bit every year. But when both leaders of a team depart, that has a big impact on the players in the locker room.

Players have an in-season playing weight, and we have to be careful not to stray too far from it when we’re not under the watchful eye of the nutritionist. This can be a problem when the food isn’t being prepared and regulated by our cooking staff. For me right now, that means I get to eat pizza and dessert again, and I do more snacking.When the season ends, I like to take a little time off from the diet I follow when I’m playing. At the Jets training facility in Florham Park, N.J., we have strength and conditioning staff but also a nutritionist, Glen Tobias, who helps to whip everyone into shape. There is a heavy emphasis on grass-fed meat and on foods that aren’t genetically modified. Hydration is also a key element in player performance. When a 300-pound person like me is playing, I’m supposed to drink at least a gallon of water a day.

A few weeks ago, I did a skit on Comedy Central for the show “Key and Peele,” along with my Jets teammate Leger Douzable and Prince Amukamara from the New York Giants. In the skit, Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele portray fictitious players with unusual names like Cosgrove Shumway, Splendiferous Finch and Vagonius Thicket-Suede, and they brought us in for some real-life examples

With a name like D’Brickashaw, I made the cut (I think the apostrophe helps most with the humor). The skit aired this week, and I was laughing at all the crazy names they came up with. Now I just hope my mother found it funny too.

In the week leading up to the Super Bowl, there are always activities that players can get involved in. I went this year to an event in Manhattan at Jets House, where fans can get to know the team better. This year, former Jets players Eric Coleman (whom I played with) and Bruce Harper attended. I was also on a panel with my current teammate Chris Ivory.

There were lots of questions about the new Jets staff and about Rex Ryan taking the head coaching job in Buffalo. I told the fans that I hadn’t met any of the new Jets staff yet but am excited for the chance to begin working with them and the opportunity we have this season

As far as Rex Ryan is concerned, I know that playing the Bills will be an intense matchup for us. I played for Coach Ryan for six years, and this will be the first time in a long while that we won’t be wearing the green and white Jets emblem together. I wish him luck—just not when he is playing against us.

Watching the Super Bowl is always interesting to me. As a left tackle, you get used to watching the game through a different lens. During a regular week of game preparation, players are encouraged to review the scouting report on the other team and to watch film with their position group (in my case, with other linemen) to get a better feel for our opponents.

Most players also watch film on their own to look for tendencies and analyze techniques of the defender for their individual matchup. That way, you can take what you’ve learned and begin to apply it on the field during practice.

For the Super Bowl, I try to watch the game more from a fan’s perspective, so I just follow the ball. It gives me a chance to really watch all the spectacular catches and runs—which I often don’t see during a game when I’m playing.

But sometimes my working mind gets in the way. I’ll see a miscommunication on the offensive line or a great move by a defensive player, and I imagine how I might have responded. Would I have gotten beat, or would I have been able to adjust in time to stop the defender? It’s hard to know how I would react. What I do know is that I’d like the Jets to be one of the teams competing for the Lombardi trophy one day.

He's closer to the end of his career than the beginning but I'll always have crazy respect

for Brick.  He's never missed a game, in fact I don't think he's ever missed a play in 10

years.  Very good player and person who will probably end up in politics once his career

is over

He's closer to the end of his career than the beginning but I'll always have crazy respect

for Brick.  He's never missed a game, in fact I don't think he's ever missed a play in 10

years.  Very good player and person who will probably end up in politics once his career

is over

He has missed one snap....and it was when his ******* shoe fell off.  Guys an absolute rock.

SDC10558.jpgHe's closer to the end of his career than the beginning but I'll always have crazy respect

is over

Freeport High School to UVA. That is quite incredible. UVA is a top academic program.

Brick is perhaps my favorite JET of the 2000+ era.

I thought this was going to be an article about how he drives slowly in the middle lane so he's in his comfort zone of people passing him on both the right or the left.

I have never figured out all the D'Brick bashing on this board.

The guy has been consistently good since his first game in the NFL.

Bash him when he becomes a liability, because of now, he is not.

Maybe it would have improved is play, to being even a bottom-5 tackle in run blocking, if we had Geico put Brick in that freaking commercial where Salt n Pepa ride his ass for not pushing it adequately enough.

I dont get the hate for Brick...He is a solid left tackle...He also never misses a game, we're lucky to have him

I have never figured out all the D'Brick bashing on this board.

The guy has been consistently good since his first game in the NFL.

Bash him when he becomes a liability, because of now, he is not.

The problem is he is not consistently good anymore. That is precisely the point.

There certainly are games here & there (or halves here and there) where he looks like what he once was. There are other games he's looked noticeably below average.

In his prime he never looked like garbage. At worst he was merely average in run blocking while being an elite pass blocker. Sure, some games he looked better than others, maybe he gave up a sack once in a while, but he didn't look like he has the past 2 seasons.

Individual ratings systems aside, and whatever value one places in them, for him to be ranked (among tackles) in the low teens to high 20s in pass blocking, and into the friggin' 60s in run blocking, is an embarrassment.

The problem is he is not consistently good anymore. That is precisely the point.There certainly are games here & there (or halves here and there) where he looks like what he once was. There are other games he's looked noticeably below average.In his prime he never looked like garbage. At worst he was merely average in run blocking while being an elite pass blocker. Sure, some games he looked better than others, maybe he gave up a sack once in a while, but he didn't look like he has the past 2 seasons.Individual ratings systems aside, and whatever value one places in them, for him to be ranked (among tackles) in the low teens to high 20s in pass blocking, and into the friggin' 60s in run blocking, is an embarrassment.

Do you study the all 22 videos or something? If he wasn't doing the job anymore he would have been long gone.... I don't understand some of you Hater Jet fans....You even hate the good players.

I dont get the hate for Brick...He is a solid left tackle...He also never misses a game, we're lucky to have him

It isn't "hate" for Brick. It's observing the obvious: he isn't nearly the player he used to be.

We'd be "lucky" to have him at a $4M cap hit, not at $12M to $14M hits (at 31 and in an obvious playing decline from his 20s).

Maybe a new coaching staff will make him return to even 90% of what he was. That would be awesome. But the past 2 seasons in particular he isn't close.

It isn't "hate" for Brick. It's observing the obvious: he isn't nearly the player he used to be.

We'd be "lucky" to have him at a $4M cap hit, not at $12M to $14M hits (at 31 and in an obvious playing decline from his 20s).

Maybe a new coaching staff will make him return to even 90% of what he was. That would be awesome. But the past 2 seasons in particular he isn't close.

Sorry, I dont see it. He's still a top tackle in my mind...alot of the issues you may be thinking of can also be attributed to being stuck with weak left guards playing next to him.

Sorry, I dont see it. He's still a top tackle in my mind...alot of the issues you may be thinking of can also be attributed to being stuck with weak left guards playing next to him.

Lol, okay.

He's a top tackle in your mind because you're not comparing him to top tackles. That, and you're remembering when he was elite, which he hasn't been for years. I wish he was, and hope a coaching change is all he needed.

And news flash: he's always had relatively weak guards playing next to him and (after his meh rookie season), that never really affected his play. At best, at LG Faneca was an above average run blocker for 1 season.

Lol, okay.

He's a top tackle in your mind because you're not comparing him to top tackles. That, and you're remembering when he was elite, which he hasn't been for years. I wish he was, and hope a coaching change is all he needed.

And news flash: he's always had relatively weak guards playing next to him and (after his meh rookie season), that never really affected his play. At best, at LG Faneca was an above average run blocker for 1 season.

Get over it, we disagree...in my mind he's still a top ten tackle

The problem is he is not consistently good anymore. That is precisely the point.

There certainly are games here & there (or halves here and there) where he looks like what he once was. There are other games he's looked noticeably below average.

In his prime he never looked like garbage. At worst he was merely average in run blocking while being an elite pass blocker. Sure, some games he looked better than others, maybe he gave up a sack once in a while, but he didn't look like he has the past 2 seasons.

Individual ratings systems aside, and whatever value one places in them, for him to be ranked (among tackles) in the low teens to high 20s in pass blocking, and into the friggin' 60s in run blocking, is an embarrassment.

Fair enough.

But even a declinning D'Brick, he is still better than 60% of the LT's in the NFL.

As I said earlier, he has yet to reach the point in his career where he is considered a liability.

Fair enough.

But even a declinning D'Brick, he is still better than 60% of the LT's in the NFL.

As I said earlier, he has yet to reach the point in his career where he is considered a liability.

Looking objectively, as non-"fan" sites do, this is simply a false statement. He's gotten by a lot on his past reputation when he was truly an elite pass-blocker and probably about top 5 overall. More than that, he was consistent, which he no longer is (other than not being injured).

You're nothing but a sperm, you don't even have a developed brain, yet.

That's fair.

But I don't need 46 chromosomes to see that Brick is often a turnstile and has arguably been the team's weakest run blocker for 2 seasons and counting. If you have 23 to lend me I know how to repay a favor. :)

Looking objectively, as non-"fan" sites do, this is simply a false statement. He's gotten by a lot on his past reputation when he was truly an elite pass-blocker and probably about top 5 overall. More than that, he was consistent, which he no longer is (other than not being injured).

That's fair.

But I don't need 46 chromosomes to see that Brick is often a turnstile and has arguably been the team's weakest run blocker for 2 seasons and counting. If you have 23 to lend me I know how to repay a favor. :)

I have a feeling someday you'll be a corner in the NFL..hang in there kid...:-)

lol at people getting on D'Brick.  You guys have not seen what a real suspect LT looks like and have been spoiled by a high to decent level of play.  Teams go years getting their QB's killed looking for LT's and spending top 10 pick on guys who if your lucky start 10 years and if not you are stating over a few years down the road.

LT is not an issue on this team other than depth, hell we don't even know if we have ever had depth at Lt because D'Brick has been so durable and reliable.  Take a look at the jag feast that has lined up next to him at left guard for a few years.

D'Brick and Mangold will probably go down as my two favorite Jets of all time. Minus my childhood heros like Walker, Toon and Klecko.

Two great picks that were a major part of our teams identity and playoff runs a few years back. We've been equally as lucky at Center, going from Mawae to Mangold. We can only hope our next LT will be as consistent and good as Brick has been.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lomas Brown, played 18 seasons in the NFL. He made All Pro as late as his 10th season and Pro Bowl in his 11th.

Brick is a similar body type (long, finesse) and similar draft pick Lomas was 6th overall, Brick 4th overall. 

Brick just finished his 9th season. People talk about his decline, he's not going to be retired in 2 years. He actually could have an awful lot of football left. 

Lomas Brown, played 18 seasons in the NFL. He made All Pro as late as his 10th season and Pro Bowl in his 11th.

Brick is a similar body type (long, finesse) and similar draft pick Lomas was 6th overall, Brick 4th overall. 

Brick just finished his 9th season. People talk about his decline, he's not going to be retired in 2 years. He actually could have an awful lot of football left.

What good does it do the Jets to have a high paid LT whose specializes in Pass blocking when you have a team that has no QB worth a darn and your team is best offensively when you run the ball.

I realize that it may be hard to trade Ferguson due to his contract and cap implications, but I wonder what a team like say the Bears or the Saints would offer us for his services.

Archived