A Week in the Life of ’ D’Brickashaw Ferguson

F.Chowds

I realize that it may be hard to trade Ferguson due to his contract and cap implications, but I wonder what a team like say the Bears or the Saints would offer us for his services.

if they aren't offering a QB we are right back where we started.  BTW the bears actually have Jermon Bushrod and the Saints have Terron Armstead not terrible players. It's teams like the Giants who would love Brick. 

Lomas Brown, played 18 seasons in the NFL. He made All Pro as late as his 10th season and Pro Bowl in his 11th.

Brick is a similar body type (long, finesse) and similar draft pick Lomas was 6th overall, Brick 4th overall.

Brick just finished his 9th season. People talk about his decline, he's not going to be retired in 2 years. He actually could have an awful lot of football left.

lomas has always been my comparison to Brick. I figured as he got older, he'd start to fill out like Lomas did, and actually get better as he aged. But it just hasn't happened

The problem is he is not consistently good anymore. That is precisely the point.

There certainly are games here & there (or halves here and there) where he looks like what he once was. There are other games he's looked noticeably below average.

In his prime he never looked like garbage. At worst he was merely average in run blocking while being an elite pass blocker. Sure, some games he looked better than others, maybe he gave up a sack once in a while, but he didn't look like he has the past 2 seasons.

Individual ratings systems aside, and whatever value one places in them, for him to be ranked (among tackles) in the low teens to high 20s in pass blocking, and into the friggin' 60s in run blocking, is an embarrassment.

I don't think you know what a below average LT plays like. Specially one that has to worry about his right side for the last 3 years. Or for that fact a TE that can line up on his right and chip.  He signed a deal that paid him less than 1mil per year in salary in 2012 and 2013 when the jets were trying pay other guys. Now that he is getting paid on the other side fans are bitching. 

This is probably the last year he plays under this contract however.  Next year his salary goes up by 3 mill and his dead money goes down by 6mill, so he will probably stay for 3 years at 3-4 mil per

Get over it, we disagree...in my mind he's still a top ten tackle

Why does it matter how you view him in your mind?  In 2013 he was the 43rd ranked OT by PFF.  61st in Run Blocking.  I doubt those ratings got better in 2014 from what we know.

We're coming off a 4-12 season where we had numerous problems.  Brick might not be one of them but he certainly isn't the same player he once was.  We've let our offensive line go without upgrades for a long time and it's shown. 

Sperm isn't saying we dump the guy.  But we certainly can't afford to pay him the cap number he's due over this 3 year period:

2015:  $12M

2016:  $14.1M

2017:  $14.3M

Is that the kind of cap number we can devote to a declining lineman?  Certainly not.  And in the meantime the new regime needs to be drafting linemen early and often to solidify the position over the long haul, because the past TWO GM's have failed at this.

Hanging onto sentimental, nice memories of former solid players is what gets teams to hand guys like Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet contracts for much more than they're worth and for too long.  Lest you think this is only a Jets problem or even an NFL problem, see Kobe Bryant.  We love rewarding players for past performance in this country, apparently.....

I don't think you know what a below average LT plays like. Specially one that has to worry about his right side for the last 3 years. Or for that fact a TE that can line up on his right and chip.  He signed a deal that paid him less than 1mil per year in salary in 2012 and 2013 when the jets were trying pay other guys. Now that he is getting paid on the other side fans are bitching. 

This is probably the last year he plays under this contract however.  Next year his salary goes up by 3 mill and his dead money goes down by 6mill, so he will probably stay for 3 years at 3-4 mil per

So he didn't get bonus money? He only got his base salary? lol try to sell that idea to someone else. His contract called for like $35M in guaranteed money (a record for offensive linemen at the time). Cry me a river.

And I know the difference. What he used to be was above average. What he is now is fluctuating, which is often below average. But do tell me now how all along the secret sauce for Ferguson was Dustin Keller, that blocking TE extraordinaire, that was chiefly responsible for his prior elite play.

He never had elite TE blocking or an elite pass blocking guard next to him. And he used to be an awesome pass blocker. Now he's just okay and his previously adequate run blocking has been an embarrassment.

It is my wish that this changes for the better with the coaching change, not that we dump him.

So he didn't get bonus money? He only got his base salary? lol try to sell that idea to someone else. His contract called for like $35M in guaranteed money (a record for offensive linemen at the time). Cry me a river.

And I know the difference. What he used to be was above average. What he is now is fluctuating, which is often below average. But do tell me now how all along the secret sauce for Ferguson was Dustin Keller, that blocking TE extraordinaire, that was chiefly responsible for his prior elite play.

He never had elite TE blocking or an elite pass blocking guard next to him. And he used to be an awesome pass blocker. Now he's just okay and his previously adequate run blocking has been an embarrassment.

It is my wish that this changes for the better with the coaching change, not that we dump him.

Yep.  Franchise LT's making near-QB money shouldn't need help from a guard or a chipping TE anyways, should he? 

Why do we always make excuses for our highest paid players?  Because they're good guys?  News flash:  They make a lot of money for what they do and don't give a sh*t about us.  They're not all scumbags like the owners who sign their checks are, but I don't have much sympathy when they get bashed for less than stellar performance.

Yep.  Franchise LT's making near-QB money shouldn't need help from a guard or a chipping TE anyways, should he? 

Why do we always make excuses for our highest paid players?  Because they're good guys?  News flash:  They make a lot of money for what they do and don't give a sh*t about us.  They're not all scumbags like the owners who sign their checks are, but I don't have much sympathy when they get bashed for less than stellar performance.

Ferguson is a great guy. I honestly do think it has value. Just not THAT much value.

Yep.  A LT performing like him is usually worth, what, $8M per?  I'd be willing to meet in the middle and be paying him $10-11M.  But $14M is flat out insane.

Well he doesn't get paid and doesn't count $14M this season.

Truthfully, if he can get back to 80-90% of what he was, I don't care if he's making more than he'd get as a UFA. Cap room we've got, even with him at his current number.

I love how in so many of those rockumentaries they pass him off as like one of the greatest genius drummers the world has ever seen, rather than the guy who played behind 3 actual geniuses.

His portrayal in Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story is probably the most historically accurate portrayal of Ringo's contributions.

"I've got a song about an octopus!".

Archived