Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Vernon Davis

SenorGato

At least one of these former freaks among freak athletes and stud players is going to shake free. Can/Will the Jets land any one of them?

The two WRs are HOF locks who can still catch the ball well (0 drops for Fitz, and a 2.7% drop rate for Johnson). At worst, I think they are high quality possession/chain moving guys who can line up anywhere you might line up a WR. That said, the two would be best off picking between Brady/Manning/Luck/The Rivers. Really would love Fitzgerald here as 32 isn't so old for the position.

Davis might fit the offense best anyway. He is the youngest of the three by 5 months or so. Geno is not yet an accomplished passer so setting him up with more inside options makes sense (same for any young or mediocre vet QB). I may have just made that up, but it sounds football-y. Davis has definitely played in less pass heavy offenses than the two WRs, most similar to what the Jets have been able to piece together. Davis/Amaro would obviously be among the most physically talented TE duos in the league.

Soooo....I guess this is a Vernon Davis thread now.

I'm not sure any of them would want to come here unless we over-pay.  If we're offering market rate money, then they will most likely go somewhere with a better QB situation or better talent.  I think Vernon Davis might actually be the best option for the Pats.  It gives them the two TE matchup they love and they know you can't double both of them.  And it provides insurance for a Gronk injury.  I think if they don't resign Revis, they go after Davis.  

I'm not sure any of them would want to come here unless we over-pay.  If we're offering market rate money, then they will most likely go somewhere with a better QB situation or better talent.  I think Vernon Davis might actually be the best option for the Pats.  It gives them the two TE matchup they love and they know you can't double both of them.  And it provides insurance for a Gronk injury.  I think if they don't resign Revis, they go after Davis.  

That would be great.  Witht hem trying to sign Revis, a signing of Davis would cut McCourty free.

Really would love Fitzgerald here as 32 isn't so old for the position.

yeah I think Fitz still has some time but 32 is certainly old for the position other than Steve Smith who else has put up the kind of production we need at the position at that age ? We need a guy like a Brandon Marshall/ Alshon Jeffrey type not a guy whose best years are behind him.

All of these guys would be a great option for a team currently contending for a SB that knows the window to win it all may be closing soon not for a rebuild like we are currently in. Think any of these guys wants Geno throwing to them ? Also do we want a young drafted QB to get used to an Older WR close to retirement ?

Honestly, I don't want any of them.

I agree. 3rd contract free agents are NOT the way to go. Build through the draft. Sign second contract and role player free agents, look at tons of UDFAs. High ticket older FA veterans is the the worst way to build a team. Pass on all of these guys. Quickly.

I agree. 3rd contract free agents are NOT the way to go. Build through the draft. Sign second contract and role player free agents, look at tons of UDFAs. High ticket older FA veterans is the the worst way to build a team. Pass on all of these guys. Quickly.

The Jets having failed at so many previous drafts have no choice but to sign at least 1-2 3rd contract free agents these are mostly players we should have drafted. 

The pats are not going to be able to sign any FA this year, this year they will be losing FA not gaining them. With the way the roster is right this min, the pats have 67 players (including allocated money for rookies0 signed and 151mill in cap charges, which puts them 3mill over the cap. Alot of that is tied up in Wilfork  @ 8.5 mil and Revis at 25mill. but still no money for name FA.  

The pats are not going to be able to sign any FA this year, this year they will be losing FA not gaining them. With the way the roster is right this min, the pats have 67 players (including allocated money for rookies0 signed and 151mill in cap charges, which puts them 3mill over the cap. Alot of that is tied up in Wilfork  @ 8.5 mil and Revis at 25mill. but still no money for name FA.  

They will surely find a way to cheat the cap.

I laugh when folks out here wouldn't take Fitzgerald...

The NFL is a PASSING LEAGUE, Get IT!!! 

We haven't had a player of Fitzgerald's ability on the Jets in maybe like 35 years, if ever, but folks don't want him!!!!

Madness!!!

Good Grief!!!

What's "madness" is this post that pretends that Fitzgerald is exactly the same player he used to be. Decker is a better WR at this point, so you might want to change "35 years" to "35 seconds".

What's "madness" is this post that pretends that Fitzgerald is exactly the same player he used to be. Decker is a better WR at this point, so you might want to change "35 years" to "35 seconds".

I think he's better than Decker, but he'd be an upgrade either way.

I think he's better than Decker, but he'd be an upgrade either way.

Hard to use Decker's Manning numbers to argue, as those stats are skewed because of the Peyton F'ing Manning factor, however, Decker has put up comparable if not better numbers than Fitz while playing with Tebow and Geno, two of the worst QBs in recent history. It's not like Fitz's numbers jump off the screen when Palmer is healthy. He is just not the same player he once was and hasn't been for several years. I don't consider him an upgrade to Percy Harvin, either. 

Ok you believe that Decker is better than Fitzgerald.... Ok 

I DON'T.....

Have you seen Fitzgerald this year?  Do you even know that Fitzgerald is still spectacular and was willing to change to a slot WR in order to help his team and see his numbers go down accordingly?

And finally please show me one poster or any other post other than your own who would even suggest such FOOLISHNESS that Decker is better is Fitzgerald!!

Here is a link pointing out what the OP said about Fitzgerald's greatness...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/fantasy-football-today/24500304/larry-fitzgerald-best-hands-in-the-nfl

Ok you believe that Decker is better than Fitzgerald.... Ok 

I DON'T.....

Have you seen Fitzgerald this year?  Do you even know that Fitzgerald is still spectacular and was willing to change to a slot WR in order to help his team and see his numbers go down accordingly?

And finally please show me one poster or any other post other than your own who would even suggest such FOOLISHNESS that Decker is better is Fitzgerald!!

Here is a link pointing out what the OP said about Fitzgerald's greatness...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/fantasy-football-today/24500304/larry-fitzgerald-best-hands-in-the-nfl

Yes, I've seen plenty of Fitzgerald since 2011, the last time he surpassed 1,000 yards in a season or averaged more than 12.5 yards per catch. Have you?

I'm not saying Fitzgerald hasn't had an excellent career. But, he's 32 years old and three years removed from his last "elite" season, 

Their numbers last year: Decker: 74-962-5 while playing with Geno and Vick. Fitz: 63-784-2, while playing half his games with an actual QB.

I'll take 28 year old, in his prime Eric Decker over 32 year old, four years out of his prime Larry Fitzgerald. Crazy, right?

Yes, I've seen plenty of Fitzgerald since 2011, the last time he surpassed 1,000 yards in a season or averaged more than 12.5 yards per catch. Have you?

I'm not saying Fitzgerald hasn't had an excellent career. But, he's 32 years old and three years removed from his last "elite" season, 

Their numbers last year: Decker: 74-962-5 while playing with Geno and Vick. Fitz: 63-784-2, while playing half his games with an actual QB.

I'll take 28 year old, in his prime Eric Decker over 32 year old, four years out of his prime Larry Fitzgerald. Crazy, right?

You do understand that Fitz was treated as the 3rd option this year while Decker was the first option.  and that 25% of decker's production was in one blowout win over the fins.  And it is a not a "one or the other situation" but as an addition to the jets corp,  so what is your point?

All I can say is I hope that you are right my man...

I hope that you are right.....

Cause no way is Fitzgerald coming here or leaving AZ IMO...

You do understand that Fitz was treated as the 3rd option this year while Decker was the first option.  and that 25% of decker's production was in one blowout win over the fins.  And it is a not a "one or the other situation" but as an addition to the jets corp,  so what is your point?

Uh, what?

Fitzgerald still had more targets than Floyd and Brown despite playing two less games, so you're just flat wrong there. He was clearly the first option.

The price for TEs aren't that high that it's prohibitive for them, and that Revis restructure or release will open up money for sure.  I think it's a matter of allocating resources when you have two TEs in Wright and Gronk already, but it could be a move that they can make if they want to.  Their cap space isn't as bad as it seems right now, because the Revis number is ridiculous, and will come down one way or another.  

Archived