the failed harvin experiment coming to an end

kmnj

another miserable move by our former gm izadick -he chose not to go after e sanders or d jackson but instead waited until our season was over to rent a guy that could do no go for us but hurt our draft pick position should he have a productive game or two -now he will be let go because only the jets were stupid enough to pay him that salary-they would be best served to go all in should any of the better WR FA hit the market-I would like to see them get Cobb and think he will hit the open market- D thomas would be a pipe dream but cant see denver letting him walk-Dez thanks but no thanks- we dont need any more problem type players on this team

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most pointless moves in recent memory.

The focus now should be on limiting the damage, cutting the player (and saving that money for smarter, better spending going into free Agency) and limiting the losses (saving our 4th, losing only the 6th).

Expensive, locker room cancer, oft injured glorified kick returners are not what this team needs.

We can and should expect better.

Sorry don't see this as a failure. If he doesn't restructure, he is gone. Cost a 4th I think if we let him go. If he stays it wont be for the 10+ mil on the contract.

Pretty much.  Harvin had some productive games and would have put up bigger numbers with better QB play.  He's not worth 10 mil but if he'd take 7 then go for it.  No need to create more holes than the roster already has.

another miserable move by our former gm izadick -he chose not to go after e sanders or d jackson but instead waited until our season was over to rent a guy that could do no go for us but hurt our draft pick position should he have a productive game or two -now he will be let go because only the jets were stupid enough to pay him that salary-they would be best served to go all in should any of the better WR FA hit the market-I would like to see them get Cobb and think he will hit the open market- D thomas would be a pipe dream but cant see denver letting him walk-Dez thanks but no thanks- we dont need any more problem type players on this team

Izadick. Funny. 

Sorry don't see this as a failure. If he doesn't restructure, he is gone. Cost a 4th I think if we let him go. If he stays it wont be for the 10+ mil on the contract.

The problem with the deal wasn't the 4th or 6th round pick...it was the wasted $7mm...If we don't make the trade the team now has another $7mm in cap space.

I honestly believe that was the worst of his moves and I don't see a close second.  The only point of that move was to stem to negative PR...

The problem with the deal wasn't the 4th or 6th round pick...it was the wasted $7mm...If we don't make the trade the team now has another $7mm in cap space.

I honestly believe that was the worst of his moves and I don't see a close second.  The only point of that move was to stem to negative PR...

Dimitri Patterson

I am not a fan of Harvin. I didn't like the trade. He is extremely talented, but he's seriously injury prone. And there's also rumors about a bad attitude.

That being said, we may have to consider that right now this is not a prime destination for free agents. We have no QB, rookie coach, GM, major holes in all 3 phases of the team... and a roster that is universally regarded as one of the worst in the league. (yes, there are a few bright spots to build around, but nonetheless)

Even if we pay Harvin his ridiculous 10 million in 2015 we still have nearly 40 million to spend. It's not like we are giving him some new long term contract, it's basically like franchising him and renting him again.

I don't like the guy, mainly becuae he's unreliable, but for one year, maybe we need to bite the bullet and not let talent walk out the door.

If we're going to overwhelming overpay someone there are a lot of better options.  For instance, I would rather give Revis $16 million (over paying by $4 million or so) and assure you get him than pay $10mm for Harvin who's likely to only play half the season.

Dimitri Patterson

While it didn't work, the Dimitri Patterson signing wasn't a terrible one at the time -  Missing out on every good CB and being stuck with Patterson was the bigger of the problem.

The Harvin move on the other hand made absolutely NO SENSE - to waste $7mm in cap space on a team that was already finished is done for one reason and one reason only - PR..

And managing this team for PR purposes is what got us into the mess in the first place.

I am not a fan of Harvin. I didn't like the trade. He is extremely talented, but he's seriously injury prone. And there's also rumors about a bad attitude.

That being said, we may have to consider that right now this is not a prime destination for free agents. We have no QB, rookie coach, GM, major holes in all 3 phases of the team... and a roster that is universally regarded as one of the worst in the league. (yes, there are a few bright spots to build around, but nonetheless)

Even if we pay Harvin his ridiculous 10 million in 2015 we still have nearly 40 million to spend. It's not like we are giving him some new long term contract, it's basically like franchising him and renting him again.

I don't like the guy, mainly becuae he's unreliable, but for one year, maybe we need to bite the bullet and not let talent walk out the door.

I agree. If we cut Harvin we need to sign 2 receivers instead of just one. Today's NFL is just as much a WR/TE league as it is a Qb league. Without restructuring Harvin is essentially on a 1-year deal next season.

There is no way that Revis comes here. The Pats will make a rock solid offer and the Bills will also back up the money truck, not to mention the other 20 teams that will have offers on the table.

Overpaying any free agent will involve a multi-year commitment. Harvin is one and done. And frankly there are way more free agent defensive backs on the market this year than WR's with Harvins skill set.

I think Revis ends up being the first guy Pioli decides to actually pay for besides Brady and Aaron the murderer.

Makes too much sense without Revis they go back to a middle of the road D

There is no way that Revis comes here. The Pats will make a rock solid offer and the Bills will also back up the money truck, not to mention the other 20 teams that will have offers on the table.

Overpaying any free agent will involve a multi-year commitment. Harvin is one and done. And frankly there are way more free agent defensive backs on the market this year than WR's with Harvins skill set.

I don't think he'll come here either but I don't agree when you say no way...Moreover, we know Revis will take a one year if it's enough money.  They're not spending $20mm on Revis and if he's going to restructure he's going to test the open market.  3 years at $12 each the Pats might offer...or $16 for one from the Jets.

He takes the $16 for one.

I don't think he'll come here either but I don't agree when you say no way...Moreover, we know Revis will take a one year if it's enough money. They're not spending $20mm on Revis and if he's going to restructure he's going to test the open market. 3 years at $12 each the Pats might offer...or $16 for one from the Jets.

He takes the $16 for one.

You realize we can keep Harvin and sign Revis especially if we cut Chris Johnson?

You realize we can keep Harvin and sign Revis especially if we cut Chris Johnson?

That really wasn't the point I was originally making...Was really just using Revis as an example.

My point was if we're going to heavily overpay Harvin I could think of better ways/better people to overpay.  Just because he happens to be on the roster doesn't mean we need to overpay him.  Let's go and take that $10mm and add it to potential signing bonuses on guys we really want to help get us over the hump in bidding wars.

Only Jets Fans would want to pay above market value 20 million+ for a single CB to come back to a 4-win team with massive talent holes almost everywhere.

Only a Jets Fan would think a guy who just won a Super Bowl with our most hated rival would choose to come back to that 4 win team, and for a discount.

Sometimes I wonder about Jets Fans.

That really wasn't the point I was originally making...Was really just using Revis as an example.

My point was if we're going to heavily overpay Harvin I could think of better ways/better people to overpay. Just because he happens to be on the roster doesn't mean we need to overpay him. Let's go and take that $10mm and add it to potential signing bonuses on guys we really want to help get us over the hump in bidding wars.

If you don't overpay Harvin on what is basically a 1 yr deal you will end up having to overpay another receiver for a 3-4 year deal.

I'm no fan if Idzik and laughed at him when he made the move bc it was just damage control when the season fell apart. That said in the long run that doesn't mean Harvin can't pay dividends for us next season and then cut him in 2016.

Denver doesn't have a lot of cap room to sign all their FAs. Don't be surprised if they let Demaryius (sp?) go so then can sign everyone else they want to. Dez is not a problem child. Thats a misconception. Yeah, he doesn't have a stellar background, but he's no Santonio by any means when it comes to that. Him being vocal on the sidelines gets magnified, but its not something that would hurt the team. Beside, Dez isn't sniffing the FA market anytime soon. Im not sold on Cobb. Isn't he a slot receiver? I could be wrong, haven't watched much of GB last few yrs. Demaryius would be ideal, but I doubt he'd want Geno throwing him some deflated balls. Would have to hand him a blank check to get him to sign and Im not in favor of that.

Tough decision here.

Thomas. Dez. Revis. Houston. Probably all off the market. Cobb not coming here. 40 million to spend before cutting CJ, Pace,Babin...and we want to kick Harvin to the curb? Don't get it.

Agreed. There is only a handful of good Wr's on the market that are legitimately available. How many of them want come to the jets? Cooper isn't falling to 6 forget about it.

If we sign Crabtree, Charles Clay and keep Harvin we go into next year with Decker, Crabtree, Harvin, Kerley at WR and Clay and Amaro at Tight End. That's pretty good and can very realistically happen.

Only Jets Fans would want to pay above market value 20 million+ for a single CB to come back to a 4-win team with massive talent holes almost everywhere.

Only a Jets Fan would think a guy who just won a Super Bowl with our most hated rival would choose to come back to that 4 win team, and for a discount.

Sometimes I wonder about Jets Fans.

20mil +? a year? Not in 2015. Maybe in 2020, but not in 2015.

Idzik was more concerned about the Seahawks than the Jets so he took their problem off their hands despite the impact on the Jets.

Thanks Idzik

Yup.  Percy is overrated at 10.5.  If you look at a season's production minus the 4 games he is likely to miss or do little in.  I want that 4th pick back.  I want to have our first 5 picks.  I want a wideout, not a hybrid.  I want  someone who can get open in the red zone.  Percy cannot beat corners running refined routes.

Yup. Percy is overrated at 10.5. If you look at a season's production minus the 4 games he is likely to miss or do little in. I want that 4th pick back. I want to have our first 5 picks. I want a wideout, not a hybrid. I want someone who can get open in the red zone. Percy cannot beat corners running refined routes.

Problem is we will need both a true wideout AND a guy who runs underneath routes. Kerley was horrible last year and was decent at best before that.

Cut Harvin then u need to sign 2 Wr's instead of one. Or do nothing and we again have no depth at the second most important position after qb. Harvin is overpaid but it's essentially a one year deal since we can cut him in 2016.

Problem is we will need both a true wideout AND a guy who runs underneath routes. Kerley was horrible last year and was decent at best before that.

Cut Harvin then u need to sign 2 Wr's instead of one. Or do nothing and we again have no depth at the second most important position after qb. Harvin is overpaid but it's essentially a one year deal since we can cut him in 2016.

Kerley's going to be the slot guy.   Kerley is fine, relatively cheap and is a good player.  He had a terrible QB throwing him the ball...slot receiver routes require a lot of accuracy and that's simply not something Geno possesses.

Why would you ever let a player in his prime like Percy get away if we can renegotiate his contract? Come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy didn't want to renegotiate, and was clear about this the moment the season ended. 10.5 per year for a guy that doesn't play a full season is crazy.

Agreed. There is only a handful of good Wr's on the market that are legitimately available. How many of them want come to the jets? Cooper isn't falling to 6 forget about it.

If we sign Crabtree, Charles Clay and keep Harvin we go into next year with Decker, Crabtree, Harvin, Kerley at WR and Clay and Amaro at Tight End. That's pretty good and can very realistically happen.

Cooper is not the only blue chip receiver in this draft, in fact he may not even be the best receiver.  At 6, we will should have our pick of Kevin White, Devante Cooper or if we can trade down a few spots, for Jalean Strong or DGB.  Any of them have the potential to be #1 Receiver.  I would rather that then pay big money to 'slow as molassas' Michael Crabtree.   Bring back Harvin; he could excell in a spread offense then draft a blue chip receiver.  We still have two rookie receivers with ability who never saw the field last year.  I am not writing off Shaq Evans or Percy Enunwa. 

Why would you ever let a player in his prime like Percy get away if we can renegotiate his contract? Come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS.  We need all the talent we can get.  Lets see what Harvin looks like after a full offseason and training camp working in Chan Gaileys offense and with more reps from Geno or who ever emerges as QB.  Harvin is a playmaker and in this league you need them to win games.  

The guy didn't want to renegotiate, and was clear about this the moment the season ended. 10.5 per year for a guy that doesn't play a full season is crazy.

I saw that written as speculation, but is he on record saying that?  I think he'd be silly not to.  He isn't worth 10.5 and won't get anywhere near that as a FA IMO.

Yup.  Percy is overrated at 10.5.  If you look at a season's production minus the 4 games he is likely to miss or do little in.  I want that 4th pick back.  I want to have our first 5 picks.  I want a wideout, not a hybrid.  I want  someone who can get open in the red zone.  Percy cannot beat corners running refined routes.

With our 6th pick we can take that wide out you are talking about.  Cooper, White and or Parker should all be available.  Add one of those three to Decker and Harvin and you have a very nice trio of receivers.   I personally lean toward the 6'3 White or 6' 4 Parker because of their red zone prowess.  

Archived