the failed harvin experiment coming to an end

kmnj

This.

If you go out & sign a big time FA WR you have to give them 3 years, a huge signing bonus. Why do you think players don't like to be franchised?

They could get hurt, or have a bad year, they have to play for pay. Once you sign a guy to a huge contract you pray he stays hungry & performs to his pay. (Wallace hasn't for the Fins).

I want them to keep Harvin & draft White or Cooper! It's not my money & we need playmakers so Chan & whoever QBs to take 5 yard passes & and run 25 yards.

Agree with the bolded. I don't get why so many Jet fans are against then spending money as if it was coming out of their pockets.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe some of us don't see expensive, oft' injured, bad attitude glorified kick returners as "depth" as much as you do?

I think his career average of 11 games played a year, 633 yards and 3 TD's a season, can be had elsewhere for less cost, less drama, less injury risk and less baggage.

You and I feel exactly the same way about Harvin. But we are beating our heads against the wall to no avail trying to convince others here that we are right. And we are right...

I give up.

Awesome post. Doesn't change the fact that there's only a handful of decent Wr's that are actually available in free agency this offseason and most of them probably don't want to sign with a team that has no qb and just had a 4-12 season.

If we cut Harvin we need to sign 2 Wr's in FA otherwise we are back to square one with 0 depth at the second most important position in the game today.

You're simply wrong.  Those are not the only two options available.

I don;t understand your desperation and fear.  Over a lucky-to-have-won-4-games team's first year under a new regime?

What, are you afraid we might not win it all next year?  Hint, we're probably not going to.  Let me restate that, we're not going to, period, end of story.

So Harvin or no Harvin in 2015 is almost completely irrelevant to out future Championship odds.

So now that we got that out of the way, we can remember that there is an entire draft coming up to work with, where 100's of WR's, some of whom will be future All-Pro players, will be available.

Now, is it your argument that Harvin is the single best WR available in 2015, period?  That no FA, and no Draft Pick, could possibly be his equal?

If so, I can respect that.

I simply disagree.  Strongly.  For the previously stated reasons of attitude, injury and cost.

Keeping Harvin costs us ~10 million in cap, and a potential starter, for an average of 11 games and 630 or so yards at the #2 WR position.

Cutting Harvin does not stop us resigning him, and gains us 10 million in Cap Space, a potential starter (4th rounder) for our new regime to select to suit THEIR plan, and opens us up to all options at WR< Harvon, other FA's, and the entire draft of options.

I'm pretty confident what the new regime will choose in this case.

Agree with the bolded. I don't get why so many Jet fans are against then spending money as if it was coming out of their pockets.

Once again, illogic rules the day.

No one is arguing to keep the money unspent.  we all hope Mr. Johnson spend s the entire Cap, every year, to maximize our team.

What we're arguing is that the money could, potentially, be better spent elsewhere on other players.

At best, Harvin can be cut, and resigned to a lower cost deal if the market does not support his current price.

Simply put, his production, his actual production not his supposed potential he continues to fail year after year to reach, is not worth his current costs (in salary) and retaining price (the 4th round pick).

Beyond that, I see no reason to saddle a new regime, potentially with a new young QB, with a known malcontent who (His history shows) has every possibility of missing some or all of 2015 due to injury.

I think our front office can find a much better way to spend 10 million dollars and a 4th round pick than that.

I don't think he'll come here either but I don't agree when you say no way...Moreover, we know Revis will take a one year if it's enough money.  They're not spending $20mm on Revis and if he's going to restructure he's going to test the open market.  3 years at $12 each the Pats might offer...or $16 for one from the Jets.

He takes the $16 for one.

how does that make any sense, he had a 1 year 15mill offer and took 12 to go to the pats. If the jets offer 3 years and 14 I think he jumps, but it will have to be more than 10% than what the pats are offering. If you heard his interviews, he was pretty happy playing on a winning team. To go to NY and pay 4% more in taxes, he will expect to get at least 10% more.

Once again, illogic rules the day.

No one is arguing to keep the money unspent.  we all hope Mr. Johnson spend s the entire Cap, every year, to maximize our team.

What we're arguing is that the money could, potentially, be better spent elsewhere on other players.

At best, Harvin can be cut, and resigned to a lower cost deal if the market does not support his current price.

Simply put, his production, his actual production not his supposed potential he continues to fail year after year to reach, is not worth his current costs (in salary) and retaining price (the 4th round pick).

Beyond that, I see no reason to saddle a new regime, potentially with a new young QB, with a known malcontent who (His history shows) has every possibility of missing some or all of 2015 due to injury.

I think our front office can find a much better way to spend 10 million dollars and a 4th round pick than that.

If he's cut there's no way he's resigning with us for less $$$, why would he.  He'd be more likely to take a discount to catch on with a contender who has a QB.

So we cut Harvin and save the 10M. Who are our wr's in 2015 : Decker, Kerley, Evans/Enumwa ??? . Otherwise we need to throw money at another FA wr who will likely want some guaranteed money. Sure we can draft one , but unless we can get Cooper/Parker/White its a step down for the offense which wasn't very good last year to begin with.

I think Harvin is a malcontent and locker room negative, yes.

I think he is lacking the skill or durabillity to play 16 games as a productive WR, yes.

I think 10 million per year and our 4th round pick is vastly too much for his performance, yes.

For these reasons, I would cut him.  The 6th cannot be saved.

I would remain in contact with Harvin's agent, and see what other offers are out there for him.

If he gets an overpriced deal for a malcontent, injury prone, 630-yards-a-season guy, I happily allow him to move on.

If he can be re-signed for minimal costs (and I mean minimal), after our other options (all other FA WR's, the Draft, our own guys, etc) have been reviewed and dismissed by our new front office and staff as inferior options, so be it, we can resign him then. 

I'm not seeing the problem here.  Since when did wanted to look at the market and get the best player available for the best deal available become a bad idea, worthy of scorn?

Eh?  You are saying EXACTLY what I am saying, I don't see the problem here either.  The Jets can do any number of things and come out of it with the loss of a 6th rounder for a number of games last year.   If the Jets front office shares you view of him he will be gone and no major harm.  If they view him differently they have options.  If we were talking about a Djax we would be looking at some of the thins you mention plus years of term and cap issues.  It was a fairly low risk gamble by Idzik in the 1st place.

You and I feel exactly the same way about Harvin. But we are beating our heads against the wall to no avail trying to convince others here that we are right. And we are right...

I give up.

To me there is some serious confusion about the things being discussed.  Saying the move was a decent one by Idzik is not some great endorsement of how great harvin is.  I can argue that the move was a good one while still being cautious abut the player.  I have no problem bringing up the character or injury issues but I do have a problem with people indicating he has not been productive in the games he has played.

how does that make any sense, he had a 1 year 15mill offer and took 12 to go to the pats. If the jets offer 3 years and 14 I think he jumps, but it will have to be more than 10% than what the pats are offering. If you heard his interviews, he was pretty happy playing on a winning team. To go to NY and pay 4% more in taxes, he will expect to get at least 10% more.

Simply not true - Revis did not leave $3mm on the table.

Just a stupid move. We don't need the cap room. Harvin is a perfect fit for Gailey's offense. Yes, he's been a f*ck up in the past, but his contract is a pay as you go deal. Not like Santonio Holmes where we'd be forced to keep him for x amount of years to avoid a massive cap hit.

Just a stupid move. We don't need the cap room. Harvin is a perfect fit for Gailey's offense. Yes, he's been a f*ck up in the past, but his contract is a pay as you go deal. Not like Santonio Holmes where we'd be forced to keep him for x amount of years to avoid a massive cap hit.

I'm one of the few that agree. We've been screaming for playmakers for years.. And now we are screaming to get him off the team.

Unless we can get Crabtree and spiller and draft a wr in the top 2 rounds not sure we'll be better off.. Cause Cobb, Maclin, Thomas and dez aren't coming..

I'm one of the few that agree. We've been screaming for playmakers for years.. And now we are screaming to get him off the team.

Unless we can get Crabtree and spiller and draft a wr in the top 2 rounds not sure we'll be better off.. Cause Cobb, Maclin, Thomas and dez aren't coming..

Add me to the list. Harvins a playmaker. It's rare the Jets have those kinda guys. Now we have one and we'll let him walk.

I'm glad he's gone. He would have been Santonio Holmes, version 2.0. Keeping him would have been a Tanny move. Can't wait to see what moves Mike Mac makes in free agency. We need a lot. I think we look at CBs first, O-line second (please sign Bulaga and/or Lupati), and receivers third. Pick up a vet QB as well.

Can't wait for the draft either. I see this as an exciting time.

Simply not true - Revis did not leave $3mm on the table.

There are other good CBs available in FA. Doesn't have to be Revis. I was glad they traded Revis but the problem was that Idziot didn't replace him, all he did was sign and cut washed up Dmitri Patterson.

The problem with the deal wasn't the 4th or 6th round pick...it was the wasted $7mm...If we don't make the trade the team now has another $7mm in cap space.

I honestly believe that was the worst of his moves and I don't see a close second.  The only point of that move was to stem to negative PR...

Exactly right!  Also if we lost another game, or two as a result of not signing Harvin we would have a better draft position and $7M more of cap space to sing more free agents.  $7M of cap room allows you to sign a pretty substantial player.

To me there is some serious confusion about the things being discussed. Saying the move was a decent one by Idzik is not some great endorsement of how great harvin is. I can argue that the move was a good one while still being cautious abut the player. I have no problem bringing up the character or injury issues but I do have a problem with people indicating he has not been productive in the games he has played.

His level of productivity was, collectively speaking, marginal. Nevertheless, it is irrelevant even if you wish to make an erroneous case that it was "impactful."

Percy Harvin is a nightmare for a coach, teammates, has been his whole career, and will continue to be. I expect the market for his services to be very limited. The guy would have to be Lynn Swann for me to even consider rostering him.

Anyone expecting his pattern to change is at best naive, but probably deserving of a harsher word.

Archived