the failed harvin experiment coming to an end

kmnj

The cap space matters though, we may have a ton of money, but so do other teams. And we have major holes across the board. Assuming we save 3-4 million from his cap space alone, and that 7 million is the market price for someone of his caliber, then I'd rather have the 4th round pick, plus whoever I can afford with that extra 3-4 million I get to play around with on a yearly basis. Obviously, don't know who is going to get what, but based on average, this is what deals looked for guys last year at positions that maybe of interest to us:

Emanuel Sanders 3 years $15 million, cap hit of 4 million in his first year.

Golden Tate, 5 year, 31 million, cap hit of 3 million on his first year.

Brandon LaFell, 3 year, $11 million, cap hit of 2 million in his first year.

Antonio Cromartie, 1 year $3.5 million

Captain Munnerlun, 3 years 11 million, cap hit of 3.3 million

Brandon Browner, 3 years, $15 million, cap hit of 2.7 in his first year.

Then you have to factor in who we can possibly get with the 6 or 7 million. I think I've seen most predictions on Cobb getting a contract in that range as well. Maclin too. Maybe Crabtree gets less.

Would I like to have any of these guys PLUS whoever guy I can afford to with that money? Absolutely. At that point, the pick exchange is better as well, since I'd much rather keep the 4th than the 6th.

However, if Harvin's price comes down to the 6-7 million range, then we can still pick up the 3-4 million player on top of Harvin, and the exchange in picks can be seen as the price in certainty instead of going into the free market. But to overpay on Harvin, when other options out there are better than him, and will in all likely hood be cheaper than him, AND give up the picks is too costly in my eyes.

Jmo if you think Randall Cobb getting seven to eight million per year . you're dreaming. Randall Cobb is going to get at least 10 million per year.( could get more). After the Dez Bryant'sand D Thomas are tagged ( off the market) , there is going to be a bidding war for the 24 year old Cobb. (,Is he worth that is up to debate,( slot receiver) but the law of supply and demand applies) If the Jet's GM comes to table expected to get him for eight , than you might as not even bother bidding.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jmo if you think Randall Cobb getting seven to eight million per year . you're dreaming. Randall Cobb is going to get at least 10 million per year.( could get more). After the Dez Bryant'sand D Thomas are tagged ( off the market) , there is going to be a bidding war for the 24 year old Cobb. (,Is he worth that is up to debate,( slot receiver) but the law of supply and demand applies) If the Jet's GM comes to table expected to get him for eight , than you might as not even bother bidding.

Same thing was said about Decker last offseason, and he wound up signing for @ $7.5M/year. 

Same thing was said about Decker last offseason, and he wound up signing for @ $7.5M/year.

what it cost last year, doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to cost that this year. (Idzik did real well getting him for that price- was his wife's hoping for a model career why he took less ) Randall Cobb is 24 years old , and their are teams with serious cash that need to come away with a Wr in freeagency, and the draft. I guess we will wait to see how much he eventually signs for , but I say it's at least 10 million.

Three freakin times this jerk took the ball nine yards deep in the endzone and ran it out to about the nine or ten. Should have cut that fool that very day. Not worth a penny of the money he is owed. Bye-bye.

Yes let's put Jermey Kerley back there so we can get the ball at the 20 everytime. 

9 or 10 million would is Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson type deals, and they were all better than Cobb when they got the contract, infact much better.  The two contracts to slot/speed type WRs which Cobb is that paid highly have been absolute overpays in Wallace/Harvin and they have been widely panned.  

I don't see Cobb getting more money than Antonio Brown, and his average comes out to about 8.3 million.  If Cobb was more established with more than one 1000 yard year, or played with a lousy QB so you don't have to factor in regression with even an average QB.  

Problem is if you cut Harvin your stuck needing 2 more Eric Deckers in free agency. Unless you want no depth at WR again. The people complaining about Harvin's 10.5 salary just don't understand we actually have flexibility with jus contract and can cut him after next season.

Problem is if you cut Harvin your stuck needing 2 more Eric Deckers in free agency. Unless you want no depth at WR again. The people complaining about Harvin's 10.5 salary just don't understand we actually have flexibility with jus contract and can cut him after next season.

Why doesn't anybody get this?

When you sign a FA WR it will cost WAY MORE than 10 million. The agent will want at least 3 years, plus a huge signing bonus that gets spread out on your cap, plus a high yearly salary.

The Jets could keep Harvin, draft White or Cooper, sign Spiller & Iupati in free agency & still have 28 million left, depending on how they handle Iupatis contract.

Think about the offenses Gailey had success with & he loves to spread you out horizontally to get play makers in space.

Decker- (Cooper or White)- Harvin- Kerley- Amaro- Spiller- Ivory.

That lineup is LIGHT YEARS from what we trotted out between 2011-2014!

Just those moves alone would allow you to fix the defense with 28 million + the rest of the draft.

When you sign a FA WR it will cost WAY MORE than 10 million. The agent will want at least 3 years, plus a huge signing bonus that gets spread out on your cap, plus a high yearly salary.

The Jets could keep Harvin, draft White or Cooper, sign Spiller & Iupati in free agency & still have 28 million left, depending on how they handle Iupatis contract.

Think about the offenses Gailey had success with & he loves to spread you out horizontally to get play makers in space.

Just those moves alone would allow you to fix the defense with 28 million + the rest of the draft.

This brushes over what Harvin is, though. He's not a pure receiver; every team he's ever been on resorts to handing him the ball to get it in his hands. His career receiving average is 11.5 yards/catch. He's never had a 1000 yard season. He's an alleged home run hitter whose longest play from scrimmage is 53 yards. As a rusher or kick returner, he's really no better than Brad Smith. A 4th round pick and $10.5M this year? That's a lot for this level player. And that's not even taking into consideration his injury history, his migraine history, his locker room history. There's a lot going on with this guy. 

I get that having the freedom to cut him without any cap consequence may make it easier to keep him in line, but it's no guarantee. Certainly no guarantee against the health concerns. 

If they part ways, they can spend that money on a true WR and keep the 4th round pick (while losing a 6th). That's not a terrible plan. The good news for the Jets is that they have a week long window to shop for free agent WRs before making the decision on Harvin. I'd expect them to utilize it. I have some blind faith in Maccagnan, and if he opts to keep Harvin, I won't freak out. He is an exciting player. But they should be actively looking for alternatives. 

Why commit to one year to Harvin when you can commit to a scrub like James Jones for 3-4 years?

This brushes over what Harvin is, though. He's not a pure receiver; every team he's ever been on resorts to handing him the ball to get it in his hands. His career receiving average is 11.5 yards/catch. He's never had a 1000 yard season. He's an alleged home run hitter whose longest play from scrimmage is 53 yards. As a rusher or kick returner, he's really no better than Brad Smith. A 4th round pick and $10.5M this year? That's a lot for this level player. And that's not even taking into consideration his injury history, his migraine history, his locker room history. There's a lot going on with this guy. 

If they part ways, they can spend that money on a true WR and keep the 4th round pick (while losing a 6th). That's not a terrible plan. The good news for the Jets is that they have a week long window to shop for free agent WRs before making the decision on Harvin. I'd expect them to utilize it. I have some blind faith in Maccagnan, and if he opts to keep Harvin, I won't freak out. He is an exciting player. But they should be actively looking for alternatives. 

Very well said.

Very well said.

If we draft White or Cooper & sign CJ Spiller in free agency it's a moot point anyway. Combined those 2 guys do what Harvin does anyway, so he'll be cut & we draft a player in the 4th.

Be interesting to be a fly on the wall when they talk to Harvin, who knows what his mindset is? If he doesn't renegotiate Jets will tell him he'll be cut. There will be no interest at 10 million anywhere else, that's a given so what will he be willing to take. The guy seemed to like being a Jet.

Sometimes you have no clue what makes these guys happy?

He knows Chan Gaileys pretty clever at getting play makers the ball in space. If he agrees to a pay cut on a one year deal we get to have more playmakers next year.

Archived