Joe Namath: ‘No One Has Ever Played the Game Better Than Tom Brady’

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everytime Aaron Rodgers is down in the 4th quarter and has the stage to do something truly legendary, he doesn't.

That's what guys think about men involved in opera, they think we're broadway singers but in a different language.  Then when you are there with your girl thinking I can trust this homo, we sneak off

If there is one word that comes to mind when I think of Todd Haley, it's competence.

He was getting hit and pressured the entire game versus Baltimore and came back from two 14 point deficits in one of the all time great postseason comebacks. That wasn't the first time or the last time (seattle), so you're just making stuff up to slander him with.

It's like me saying "Joe Namath couldn't read defenses and folded like a bitch under pressure."

I don't think it's true, but I guess if I say it it's insulting and diminishes him?

Anyway, you're delusional. You don't win 4 Superbowls, go to 6, and play in 9 AFC Championship games if you "crumble like a bitch under pressure."

That's just stupid, sorry

Considering they posted a stat of Brady in how significantly he drops in play when pressured on tv, I'm more inclined to believe them then an outlier of a game. Brady generally becomes a completely different player when he is hit. He wouldn't last in the old nfl, or hell he wouldn't even last in todays NFL if the refs didn't let his oline get away with murder.

Brady has taken almost 400 sacks in his career. I've seen him straight up get his ass kicked. He took some mean Goldberg spears just this last Superbowl. Brady haters like to invent a narrative that he's soft, but they're absolutely full of crap.

Did you not see the pounding he took during the 2007 Superbowl?

Anyway, there's no convincing you. You have your hater agenda and there's no talking you out of it. You're on your smear campaign.

yes 2007.. Brady has gotten antsy in the pocket since the knee

FACT:

If Tom Brady lead the NY Jets to 6 Superbowls, 9 AFC Championship games, and won 4 rings, I wouldn't be reading any of this crap on this board.

FACT #2:

The first fact makes all of your slanders seem sort of shallow

duh

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/13/joe-namath-tom-brady-super-bowl-xlix-nfl/

The MVP of Super Bowl III bestows the highest praise on the MVP of Super Bowl XLIX. Plus, Broadway Joe on the state of his beloved Jets and why he’s raising money to combat traumatic brain injuries

I agree w/ him.  I still say Montana and Brady are essentially equal but Brady has put up more impressive "big numbers" - meaning 6 SB appearances to Joe's 4 and going 18-0 before losing the SB on a miracle play.  And I still say that one of the most impressive passes I've ever seen Brady throw (and one that would've made him a legend amongst legends) was the incomplete pass he threw to Randy Moss that traveled like 70 yds in the air (down 17-14 in the SB against the Giants with like 30 seconds in the game).  It was about 1/2 yard short of going for like an 80 yd touchdown that would've completed the 19-0 season.

I'm a Jets fan but a football fan as well.  I give Brady and Belichcik their due.  They both might be the best ever.  I don't know how seriously I take the deflated footballs (if it was only done in that Colts blowout then to me it's irrelevant) but I do, however, take spygate seriously.  The Pats first 3 SBs were all very close wins so that cheating could potentially have been the difference in those games.

But having said all of the above, if I was an owner and I was allowed to choose any QB to be my QB in the Superbowl, I might have to toss a coin between choosing Brady and Montana.  To me, that's the real test of "best ever".  But, again, if I was forced to say which was better than the other, I'd probably give it to Brady based on 6 SB appearances (vs 4 for Montana).  I know some will say "but they've both won 4 and Montana never lost one while Brady lost 2".  But let's not forget Montana lost 3 NFC championship game (1983 vs the Redskins, 1990 against the Giants and in 1993 as a Chief against Buffalo).  I know Brady lost at least one as well btw.  So is it better to lose a conference championship than win one and lose in the SB?  I would say no. 

• Upvote 1

In truth as Namath said no one has played better then Tom Brady cheating or not, period.

But I like Namath believe that the best in any given era was no other than the late Otto Graham!

As Namath stated in that article:

"One of my first heroes was Otto Graham. Come on, 10 straight title games in Cleveland. He was just spectacular."

The truth is that Graham would have been GREAT in any era.  I am not quite sure that Brady would have been as effective in an era when players could beat down the WRs and more importantly put a beat down on the QB.

Now in Grahams case he's been there and done that and would have been OTHER WORLDLY in today's lets not touch the QB or WR era...

But with all that said it is not to say that Brady hasn't been flat out great...

Hmmm just a few more things concerning Otto Graham.....

Graham also won an NBA Championship along the way as well and retired with greatest winning percentage for a QB in NFL history ..Oh and he never missed a Game.....and he has the most rushing TDs in NFL history by a QB at 44.... And for those who think he didn't throw the football...He still holds the NFL career record for yards per pass attempt, averaging nine.....

I think that he was pretty Good!

• Upvote 1

FACT:

If Tom Brady lead the NY Jets to 6 Superbowls, 9 AFC Championship games, and won 4 rings, I wouldn't be reading any of this crap on this board.

FACT #2:

The first fact makes all of your slanders seem sort of shallow

Are you gonna cry now?

He was getting hit and pressured the entire game versus Baltimore and came back from two 14 point deficits in one of the all time great postseason comebacks. That wasn't the first time or the last time (seattle), so you're just making stuff up to slander him with.

It's like me saying "Joe Namath couldn't read defenses and folded like a bitch under pressure."

I don't think it's true, but I guess if I say it it's insulting and diminishes him?

Anyway, you're delusional. You don't win 4 Superbowls, go to 6, and play in 9 AFC Championship games if you "crumble like a bitch under pressure."

That's just stupid, sorry

what u talkin about willis

Pats got away with illegal subbing BS to get back into the game,

Considering they posted a stat of Brady in how significantly he drops in play when pressured on tv, I'm more inclined to believe them then an outlier of a game. Brady generally becomes a completely different player when he is hit. He wouldn't last in the old nfl, or hell he wouldn't even last in todays NFL if the refs didn't let his oline get away with murder.

Brady was hit vs Baltimore and he brought the Pats back down 14 twice!

The old NFL allowed more contact but todays NFL has complex defenses and the players are literal football machines. The old NFL stayed in the same defense all game. Buddy Ryans 5 - 2. The players weren't as fast, strong and big as they are today.

We get it; you are a Pats fan.  Most folks acknowledge Brady is an all time great.  For my money I am going with Joe Cool because when he played qbs were looked upon as football players and not "gate attractions" to be protected.  Also wide receivers didn't have free reign to push off and dbs weren't called for pass interference every time they breathed on a receiver.   The bottom line is Brady plays for the Pats so as far as I am concerned he can s**k a d**k.  This IS a Jets Board after all. 

Brady won 2 Superbowls before Polian changed the emphasis on illegal contact for Peyton Manning, and he won a total of three before the 2009 rule change that gave receivers free reign over the middle of the field.

He did win in the old NFL

Brady won 2 Superbowls before Polian changed the emphasis on illegal contact for Peyton Manning, and he won a total of three before the 2009 rule change that gave receivers free reign over the middle of the field.

If Brady wins his 5th Super Bowl the debate is closed on who the best QB ever was.

For most of his career Brady has had good but not great RBs and WRs around him. Moss might be HOFer. Dillion maybe too. Gronk is on the way.

THis comment maybe the dummest ever, Cindy never played in the old NFL. Brady would have been put in a casket after 4 games in the old NFL. Most pat fans I know admit to this. He thrived in the Protect the QB and let the WR's run wild league,

The first SB doesn't even count as this was a gift from  NFL  Tuck You

• Upvote 1

They can say whatever they like.

Brady is still the GOAT.

It's not even close.

not even close? that's pushing it just a bit. brady is definitely great and I agree that no one has really played the game better. but no one has ever really played the game better than Montana either. in other words, there are a handful of really great quarterbacks but there are no Michael jordans or wayne gretzkys in nfl history.

Brady may like dressing and acting like a goat or other farm animals but

Montana is the best QB to play the game and it is not close, 4-0 in the SB with 0 INT

Ok he played for 15 years, what was his performance in the playoff games he lost?  How many players from his offense did he lose to FA? Did he have the greatest WR in the history of the NFL to toss the ball too for 90% of his career , was his 2nd wr on the all decade team? 

Now I still think That Montana is the greatest, but that 4-0 record is bullsh*t when taken out of context. How about 3 straight year of no wins in the playoffs, While playing with 5 HOFers

Ok he played for 15 years, what was his performance in the playoff games he lost?  How many players from his offense did he lose to FA? Did he have the greatest WR in the history of the NFL to toss the ball too for 90% of his career , was his 2nd wr on the all decade team? 

Now I still think That Montana is the greatest, but that 4-0 record is bullsh*t when taken out of context. How about 3 straight year of no wins in the playoffs, While playing with 5 HOFers

To your point, Montana had a bad run when he blew out a spinal disc in 86 and was knocked out with the Chiefs at the end of his career but Montana still holds postseason records for most games with a passer rating over 100.0 (12) and is second in career postseason touchdown passes (45), passing yards (5,772) and games with 300+ passing yards (6).

IMHO 4-0 with Super Bowl passer rating of 127.8, most pass attempts (122) with zero interceptions and most pass completions (83)  cannot be "taken out of context". Plus Montana led his team to victory in each game, not on the sidelines watching a kicker win it twice, with defense (aided by video) and a great play by a rookie CB win the game. Brady has had great success with BB and I am sure there will be 5 or more HOF's from those teams as well, nothing to get upset about, Tom is a great QB, but Joe is better...

and lets not forget that Brady rode the bench in Ann Arbor, Montana won the National Championship for the Irish 

If you honestly think Brady would still be playing if they let defenses tee off on him like in the old days, you are horribly mistaken. Once again, he's night and day when he's pressured/hit the majority of times.

THis comment maybe the dummest ever, Cindy never played in the old NFL. Brady would have been put in a casket after 4 games in the old NFL. Most pat fans I know admit to this. He thrived in the Protect the QB and let the WR's run wild league,

The first SB doesn't even count as this was a gift from  NFL  Tuck You

Lawrence Taylor would have made Brady his Bitch in the old NFL. 

GOAT means gayest of all time right?  Then I guess Brady can be a GOAT.  

Brady more like Gaydy amirite?

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░
░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░
░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░
░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░
█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█
█░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█
░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█░
░░█░░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█░░
░░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█░░░
░░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█░░
░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░
░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

• Upvote 1

Posting on a Football board under the name OperaGuy while inferring someone is gay..

Wow..

Just wow.....

That's what guys think about men involved in opera, they think we're broadway singers but in a different language.  Then when you are there with your girl thinking I can trust this homo, we sneak off with your girl.  

• Upvote 2

If you honestly think Brady would still be playing if they let defenses tee off on him like in the old days, you are horribly mistaken. Once again, he's night and day when he's pressured/hit the majority of times.

His stats are pretty bad when he's under pressure. In the old, non-sissy NFL, the Cheatriots wouldn't have even made it into the AFC Championship game.

Lawrence Taylor would have made Brady his Bitch in the old NFL. 

LT was amazing to watch. The guy was a beast. Even though there are players with that kid of ability in the NFL today, we can't see play like that anymore because of the rules that over protect the QB. It's too bad really.

LT was amazing to watch. The guy was a beast. Even though there are players with that kid of ability in the NFL today, we can't see play like that anymore because of the rules that over protect the QB. It's too bad really.

That is exactly right; LT was a QB worst nightmare. 

not even close? that's pushing it just a bit. brady is definitely great and I agree that no one has really played the game better. but no one has ever really played the game better than Montana either. in other words, there are a handful of really great quarterbacks but there are no Michael jordans or wayne gretzkys in nfl history.

Are you sh*tting me?

Montana had the best WR that ever played the game and a great NFL Mind Coaching him, and a damn good O around him.  His support was so good, his backup is a Hall of Famer.

Tom Brady had a bunch of midget white guys, a generally run-of-the-mill Defense and a D-Co Head Coach.

When I say it's not even close, it's not even close.  Montana is an all time great.  Brady is the GOAT.

Is this more silly Jet Fan foolishness, like saying the guy banging a super model is "gay"?

It has to be.

Other than his torn ACL year, Brady has never missed a start in 14 years.

other than his well deserved perma-ban from JetsInsider, PatsFanTX has never missed a day of posting on a Jets Fan message board.

• Upvote 2