WR Randall Cobb seeks deal worth $9 million annually

joewilly12

Only a Jets fan can compare a JAG WR to one of the best in the NFL.

Too funny.

Does the name Wes Welker ring a bell?

And it's funny how a slot receiver who just finished his first year as a starter, racking up "only" 1200 yards with a QB like A-Rod throwing him the ball, suddenly is one of the very elite receivers in the game. He'd have posted the same type of numbers Kerley posted here if we had Cobb instead of Kerley you bozo.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the name Wes Welker ring a bell?

And it's funny how a slot receiver who just finished his first year as a starter, racking up "only" 1200 yards with a QB like A-Rod throwing him the ball, suddenly is one of the very elite receivers in the game. He'd have posted the same type of numbers Kerley posted here if we had Cobb instead of Kerley you bozo.

Opposing teams actually have to gameplan to stop Cobb. Who the hell gameplans for Kerley? 

same difference between cobb and kerley -Cobb is 10000 times the player Kerley has shown to be-

Did you use the same logic with Wes Welker before he joined the Pats? When he was a slot receiver with the Dolphins and a year later he somehow, god knows why, doubled his yards (1200) and catches (120), basically posting the same numbers Cobb posted last year? Here's a little secret: The only reason for that was Brady & the Pats offense. That's it. He didn't magically turn elite over the offseason even though you might believe that. Kerley is a stud in the making, he's got elite hands, elite ball skills, he's a terrific route runner, he's tough as nails, he can play outside, he's good at jump balls, he knows how to get open. He could easily put up 1000+ yards in GB's offense. He just doesn't get the opportunities here to prove himself, the opportunities that Cobb is getting in Green Bay. Nevermind...

I like Kerley as a WR.

Solid, consistent and always comes to play.

But to put him in the same category as Cobb is ridiculous.

Thank you.

Exactly how I feel about him. 

Fans tend to overrate their talent. Ranger fans, of which I am one, are the worst. Every 3rd - 5th rounder is a #2 Dman or 1st line winger. 

Teams like the Panthers, who desperately need WRs, are going to be all over Cobb.

The Jets problem is still at QB so trying to lure any top FA WR whose wife is not a celebrity is going to be tough.

For guys looking to win sure. but money talks.

but Harvin is not our slot guy.  we have a slot guy. we will still need a good starting wideout.  I will take Cobb if we are cutting Kerley AND  Harvin----but we still need a legit wideout.

Kerley isn't going anywhere, too much guaranteed money so that if we let him go, we don't save enough money to justify the move.  

Decker/Kerley are on the team for next year barring some unforeseen circumstance with legal issues.  I assume Evans can be the No. 6 WR.  That leaves 4 spots to be filled with a combination of free agents/draft picks.  

If we release Harvin, and go after Cobb, then you go after an outside WR in the draft, ala Cooper/Parker/White in the first, DGB/Coates in the second.  If say we release Harvin, and pick up Smith or Crabtree, then you go for the slot type guy in Crowder/Dorsett/Smith and fill out your team that way.  Almost every which way that we go, we have to fill one spot at WR via free agency, and one with a top 2, and at worst, top 3 round pick.  We can't afford to do two established WRs in free agency, because we'll be investing too much money in the position and that's just going to hurt us down the road.  

I'm not sure why Kerley was extended in the first place though.  I thought he was eminently replaceable for the most part.  His average money comes out to close to where Andrew Hawkins landed in free agency last year, and Hawkins probably has more potential as a player.  However, that is done, so we're going to be playing with Kerley.  

There is a good chance he gets 10 million because their will be a lot of teams bidding for the best Wr on the Market. ( zero chance D Thomas or Dez Bryant hit the market). Expect the Raiders to be the highest bidder for his services.

It usually goes the other way, always see agents and players floating high numbers, and they usually settle on something that is less than their intended target.  I think the money that Cobb wants is the absolute best case scenario him and his agent are hoping for, but most likely no team is going to pay him that money considering he would want money guaranteed with his injury history.  Had he produced for one more year, then maybe he would've gotten it, but he really only has one stud year in which he was healthy and him being more of a slot WR than a true outside guy limits his upside.   

His absolute upside is Desean Jackson contract.  Jackson had a much better track record when he was a free agent last year, and while off the field issues may have limited his upside a bit, it didn't kill him.   

Statwise Kerley smashes Welker if you compare their first 4 years. But again, it's pointless as you can see.

So in your opinion Kerley has the talent, but no QB? I'm just asking. I agree with that much.

I'm just saying, on my end, Cobb slays Kerley in pretty much every way regardless of QB. I just think he's a better talent. And again, I like Kerley. I think he's a nice player, but not a superstar in the making.

So in your opinion Kerley has the talent, but no QB? I'm just asking. I agree with that much.

I'm just saying, on my end, Cobb slays Kerley in pretty much every way regardless of QB. I just think he's a better talent. And again, I like Kerley. I think he's a nice player, but not a superstar in the making.

Kerley hasn't gotten the opportunities to prove himself here. There is nothing in his game, no skill he lacks that would keep him from easily putting up 1000+ yards in a NE/GB/NO type offense. I'm not saying he's your prototype stud / franchise wideout. There are guys like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant etc. that will put up elite stats anywhere they play, you can't shut them down. Those are elite guys, all time greats. And then you have guys like Cobb, Nelson, Stokley, Decker, Welker [insert pretty much any NE/GB/NO receiver you want in here] that will flourish when you force the ball to them, but they don't have the skill to beat elite corners. Case in point: Where was Nelson when the Packers needed him vs the Seahakws? Sherman wiped the floor with him. Not saying he sucks. But anywhere else, in our offense, I doubt he could outproduce Decker. He'd put up similar stats. You put him in GB's offense and suddenly he doubles his stats.

Why is that? Does he have a button in the back where he can turn his skills on/off annually? No, the only thing that changes is the team he plays for. He doesn't suddenly know how to catch the ball because he plays for GB. He doesn't suddenly forget how to run routes when he plays for the Jets. Your opinion on Cobb is just based on the numbers he put up this year when he was forced to start for the Packers. Before that nobody talked about him being a top receiver, because he just isn't. Just because he puts up good numbers in GB's offense doesn't change that. He goes to Miami, he comes over here, goes to the Bills, wherever, he'll go right back to the 500-600 receiving yards range. He's a good slot receiver, don't get me wrong. But Kerley can do what he does in GB. Anybody that disagrees should just give me some reasons at least why they think Kerley wouldn't be able to put up 1000+ yards in GB's offense. What does he lack, what can Cobb do that Kerley can't?

Kerley isn't going anywhere, too much guaranteed money so that if we let him go, we don't save enough money to justify the move.  

Decker/Kerley are on the team for next year barring some unforeseen circumstance with legal issues.  I assume Evans can be the No. 6 WR.  That leaves 4 spots to be filled with a combination of free agents/draft picks.  

If we release Harvin, and go after Cobb, then you go after an outside WR in the draft, ala Cooper/Parker/White in the first, DGB/Coates in the second.  If say we release Harvin, and pick up Smith or Crabtree, then you go for the slot type guy in Crowder/Dorsett/Smith and fill out your team that way.  Almost every which way that we go, we have to fill one spot at WR via free agency, and one with a top 2, and at worst, top 3 round pick.  We can't afford to do two established WRs in free agency, because we'll be investing too much money in the position and that's just going to hurt us down the road.  

I'm not sure why Kerley was extended in the first place though.  I thought he was eminently replaceable for the most part.  His average money comes out to close to where Andrew Hawkins landed in free agency last year, and Hawkins probably has more potential as a player.  However, that is done, so we're going to be playing with Kerley.  

Kerley is a young guy but I feel that he is sliding.  He has had two unproductive years in a row.

It usually goes the other way, always see agents and players floating high numbers, and they usually settle on something that is less than their intended target.  I think the money that Cobb wants is the absolute best case scenario him and his agent are hoping for, but most likely no team is going to pay him that money considering he would want money guaranteed with his injury history.  Had he produced for one more year, then maybe he would've gotten it, but he really only has one stud year in which he was healthy and him being more of a slot WR than a true outside guy limits his upside.   

His absolute upside is Desean Jackson contract.  Jackson had a much better track record when he was a free agent last year, and while off the field issues may have limited his upside a bit, it didn't kill him.

Randall Cobb is 24 years old with the peak years of his career ahead of him. He is the best Wr in free agency( D Thomas and Dez Bryant will be tagged). The first day of free agency is when teams overpay( bidding war and those contracts are expensive. Without a doubt the Raiders will offer him the biggest contract in Fa. See Austin Howard where they throw big money that first year , and it drops after that.( again they are playing catchup as they have to spend a lot the next two years to hit the 89 % spending limit.

Randall Cobb is 24 years old with the peak years of his career ahead of him. He is the best Wr in free agency( D Thomas and Dez Bryant will be tagged). The first day of free agency is when teams overpay( bidding war and those contracts are expensive. Without a doubt the Raiders will offer him the biggest contract in Fa. See Austin Howard where they throw big money that first year , and it drops after that.( again they are playing catchup as they have to spend a lot the next two years to hit the 89 % spending limit.

I don't think even the Raiders are going to overpay for him right now, even with the need to spend money.  I think they try to spread the money out more than anything right now.  However, it'll be interesting to see where he winds up.  I still think 7-8 million annually is where he'll slot in.  

Statwise Kerley smashes Welker if you compare their first 4 years. But again, it's pointless as you can see.

No he does not. Even if you count a PS year which should not count Welker's first four years are 2004-2007 = 208 rec and 2300 yards. kerley's are 166 and 2,073

No he does not. Even if you count a PS year which should not count Welker's first four years are 2004-2007 = 208 rec and 2300 yards. kerley's are 166 and 2,073

We're talking about the years before he joined the Pats, Dumdum. That's the whole point! Under 100 catches, around 1000 yards and a whopping 1 touchdown.

Nice try but it wasn't enough this time. Give it another go.

When the cap goes up - quite possibly to the $145M range - Cobb might not be far off from what kind of deal he'll get.  He might have gotten something in the $7M range 2 seasons ago, but that was then and this is now. If the cap goes up 20% (give or take) from that level, expect the FA contracts to also go up proportionally.  Compound that with a continued stress on the passing game, and the crop of WRs available in free agency this year, and someone could overpay a little bit (and internally, just scale back a little bit somewhere else, like picking up a $5M-ish safety instead of signing a $6-7M safety.

It's not outrageous for him to float that number out there, even as "just" a slot receiver. Victor Cruz got an $8.5M per year extension from the Giants 2 summers ago, and he wasn't even a true free agent able to test the waters (since he was already locked in, under the RFA tag, for the upcoming season). Granted, Cruz getting an extension, rather than tearing up what was already in place, effectively made a 5 year $43M deal a 6 year $46M deal.  But the salary cap limit that year was also only $123M.

Cobb might not be that far off (if at all) in gauging his own market value. We'll see what he actually ends up with soon enough.

Archived