WR Randall Cobb seeks deal worth $9 million annually

joewilly12

Kerley isn't going anywhere, too much guaranteed money so that if we let him go, we don't save enough money to justify the move.  

Decker/Kerley are on the team for next year barring some unforeseen circumstance with legal issues.  I assume Evans can be the No. 6 WR.  That leaves 4 spots to be filled with a combination of free agents/draft picks.  

If we release Harvin, and go after Cobb, then you go after an outside WR in the draft, ala Cooper/Parker/White in the first, DGB/Coates in the second.  If say we release Harvin, and pick up Smith or Crabtree, then you go for the slot type guy in Crowder/Dorsett/Smith and fill out your team that way.  Almost every which way that we go, we have to fill one spot at WR via free agency, and one with a top 2, and at worst, top 3 round pick.  We can't afford to do two established WRs in free agency, because we'll be investing too much money in the position and that's just going to hurt us down the road.  

I'm not sure why Kerley was extended in the first place though.  I thought he was eminently replaceable for the most part.  His average money comes out to close to where Andrew Hawkins landed in free agency last year, and Hawkins probably has more potential as a player.  However, that is done, so we're going to be playing with Kerley.  

I was one of the few guys questioning the Kerley deal when it happened, but Hawkins is a tough comparison.  Isn't Hawkins pretty old?  I think he came out in 2008 and bounced around before he made the league with the Bengals. I agree with the general point though.  I think I was comparing him to guys like Andre Roberts.  Paying Kerley at that point seemed like placating him for Harvin stealing touches and smelled a bit too much like extending Sanchez after they failed at going after Peyton Manning.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was one of the few guys questioning the Kerley deal when it happened, but Hawkins is a tough comparison.  Isn't Hawkins pretty old?  I think he came out in 2008 and bounced around before he made the league with the Bengals. I agree with the general point though.  I think I was comparing him to guys like Andre Roberts.  Paying Kerley at that point seemed like placating him for Harvin stealing touches and smelled a bit too much like extending Sanchez after they failed at going after Peyton Manning.

I think he was 27 when he hit free agency, and Kerley is 26 now, so it's not that big.  I didn't really mind the deal, I just didn't understand the point of it, when it was made.  It made no sense to make that play, when waiting it out wasn't going to change his money demands one too drastically.  It would've left open the possibility of adding two guys this offseason via free agency, that may fit better into the scheme.  I just didn't understand the urgency to get that deal done, when guys like Wilkerson were ignored.  I think it also speaks to the lack of vision from Idzik, because by all accounts, it seemed that Rex was going to be fired at the end of the year.  He had to know that a new group of coaches may want a completely different philosophy and may not want Kerley.  

I think Idzik read the tea leaves at that point, and saw that he was in trouble.  His draft prospects weren't working out, Milliner down, absolute failure in the draft with WR, and he just needed to do something, anything to say that he was actually doing some work.  By then Wilkerson's camp holds enough clout that they can wait out the season, so he can't do anything there.  So he goes after the cheaper guy, homegrown guy that he can say he got at a discount.  And then hope like hell, Harvin transforms the team into winning a few games and it looks like he intervened in the right time.  I think both deals were more about trying to save his own ass than anything, because the media and the fans had turned against him.   And ofcourse it backfired.  

• 2 weeks later...

Make that $12 million KEEP HARVIN 

Free agent Randall Cobb is now seeking an annual salary of $12 million.

His original asking price was $9 million. ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky suggests Cobb may have upped his price after gauging interest at the Combine last month. The Packers could have secured Cobb for $12.823 million by giving him the franchise tag, but instead they'll let him test the market. Cobb could be a fit for Oakland if he doesn't re-sign with Green Bay.

I think he was 27 when he hit free agency, and Kerley is 26 now, so it's not that big.  I didn't really mind the deal, I just didn't understand the point of it, when it was made.  It made no sense to make that play, when waiting it out wasn't going to change his money demands one too drastically.  It would've left open the possibility of adding two guys this offseason via free agency, that may fit better into the scheme.  I just didn't understand the urgency to get that deal done, when guys like Wilkerson were ignored.  I think it also speaks to the lack of vision from Idzik, because by all accounts, it seemed that Rex was going to be fired at the end of the year.  He had to know that a new group of coaches may want a completely different philosophy and may not want Kerley.  

I think Idzik read the tea leaves at that point, and saw that he was in trouble.  His draft prospects weren't working out, Milliner down, absolute failure in the draft with WR, and he just needed to do something, anything to say that he was actually doing some work.  By then Wilkerson's camp holds enough clout that they can wait out the season, so he can't do anything there.  So he goes after the cheaper guy, homegrown guy that he can say he got at a discount.  And then hope like hell, Harvin transforms the team into winning a few games and it looks like he intervened in the right time.  I think both deals were more about trying to save his own ass than anything, because the media and the fans had turned against him.   And ofcourse it backfired.

I think it's a little of both. On the one hand, they bring in Harvin, a career locker room cancer (who traditionally manned the slot), and Kerley's feelings would/could be hurt. A little of Tannenbaum-Sanchez makeup sex? Perhaps. Then again it could be for Harvin as much as for Kerley, to "prove" that Harvin was brought in to play outside, rather than the slot, in compliance with Harvin's personal desire.

Maybe. but player feelings aside, the fact is Idzik took 3 WRs in the 2014 draft. With Decker as a constant, he thought he was bringing in 2 guys to duke it out for the outside WR position and another to man the slot and return punts so they could let Kerley go. The early results were in, though. One outside WR was IR'd to stash him away in the midst of an atrocious rookie camp, the slot/PR guy was already cut from the team outright, and the other outside WR so far had spent more time in the backseat of a NJ police car than in any huddles.

With the team at 1-7, the GM knew he would be soon graded on the team he's assembled, and what do we have for 2015 and beyond. We still had Decker, so he's ok there. But what of the other 2 WR positions? He had nothing. So he brings in Harvin, a former pro bowler still in his mid-20s. Then he had to lock up Kerley because his Kerley-replacement was already elsewhere, bouncing around onto his 3rd or 4th NFL team, and Kerley was otherwise slated to become a FA.

More than the player feelings stuff, I think it's because Idzik had to show that despite all the misfires, he had a full trio of WRs assembled and under contract for the next few seasons. And even though Harvin was overpriced, Lord knows Idzik left enough room to absorb that. Plus if one of his 2014 picks did actually pan out the following summer, then Harvin could be cut with no further cap ramifications.

So in a sense, Kerley's extension was makeup sex from Idzik to Woody Johnson, not from Idzik to Kerley.

Agreed on this. Cobb is one of the better FAs available at any position, and he's only 25 in the first year of this deal.

At 25 you don't mind giving him a 4-5 yr. deal with all guaranteed money paid out after yr. 3

Kids been much more healthy than Harvin from what I remember.

Teammates love him, which is another thing he has on Harvin.

At 25 you don't mind giving him a 4-5 yr. deal with all guaranteed money paid out after yr. 3

Kids been much more healthy than Harvin from what I remember.

Teammates love him, which is another thing he has on Harvin.

Harvin is only 26 and have produced with Ponder of all QBs throwing to him. Cobb is indeed very talent but that production isnt coming along with Rodgers not at QB.

Make that $12 million KEEP HARVIN 

Free agent Randall Cobb is now seeking an annual salary of $12 million.

His original asking price was $9 million. ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky suggests Cobb may have upped his price after gauging interest at the Combine last month. The Packers could have secured Cobb for $12.823 million by giving him the franchise tag, but instead they'll let him test the market. Cobb could be a fit for Oakland if he doesn't re-sign with Green Bay.

Yeah, that's more like it. Cobb at 9 or less in this market would have been the steal of free agency.

Lol. Stop.

throwing out the off the field and locker room stuff...Harvin > Cobb easily. More explosive, more dynamic...just an all around better player. Cobb's a good chain mover and a nice player...but he's not worth spending on really. He'll be on the Raiders next year catching 40 balls for 700 yards and like 5 td's.

throwing out the off the field and locker room stuff...Harvin > Cobb easily. More explosive, more dynamic...just an all around better player. Cobb's a good chain mover and a nice player...but he's not worth spending on really. He'll be on the Raiders next year catching 40 balls for 700 yards and like 5 td's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CobbRa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarvPe00.htm

Math is a real bitch sometimes. Cobb is younger and already has more TDs. You know, those things that give you 6 points on the scoreboard. 

yeah he plays with a top 5 qb of all time...hence why GB isnt bringing him back.

Yeah, has nothing to do with how GB has run it's team for years. 

Harvin had Russell BTW. 

And Rodgers is good as hell, but he's not top 5 all-time, stop it. 

Harvin has done squat in what is now 4 yrs?

Yeah, has nothing to do with how GB has run it's team for years. 

Harvin had Russell BTW. 

And Rodgers is good as hell, but he's not top 5 all-time, stop it. 

Harvin never had Russell he was hurt all of last year. Rodgers when he's done will be top 5 most likely...he's projecting to be at least.

Cobb isnt an explosive player, he's an on the ground chain mover. He's a real nice player...but for a guy his size and the contract he's demanding...the only guy who fits that mold is Antonio Brown.

idk if they want to stock all that money in the WR spot...would rather draft one early than pay both of them.

WR is the most important position in the nfl after Qb. We have neglected it long enough with the Chaz Schilens, David Nelson's and Jacoby Fords.

Cooper I'll take all day at 6. Don't know about White I'd rather get a sure thing like Scherff and sign Crabtree or Stevie Johnson in addition to keeping Harvin.

Cobb is a nice player but Crabtree is a decent #2 WR at about half the price.

Harvin never had Russell he was hurt all of last year. Rodgers when he's done will be top 5 most likely...he's projecting to be at least.

Cobb isnt an explosive player, he's an on the ground chain mover. He's a real nice player...but for a guy his size and the contract he's demanding...the only guy who fits that mold is Antonio Brown.

He had Russell this year until he got traded.

And stop using buzz words like "explosive!". Look at Harvin's #s FFS. He would have averaged out this year as a Jet to 58 grabs and 2 TD. DYNAMITE!!!

No you're flat out wrong. Nfl is a wide receiver league just as much as it is a qb league. And besides we already have a Lt anyway so figure it out

Calm down tough guy.

Many, not all, WRs are a dime a dozen. 

And yes, I know we have a LT. not sure the ******* point of that part of your post. 

And also, there's a lot of people that would agree with me. 

Archived