WR Randall Cobb seeks deal worth $9 million annually

joewilly12

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calm down tough guy.

Many, not all, WRs are a dime a dozen.

And yes, I know we have a LT. not sure the ******* point of that part of your post.

And also, there's a lot of people that would agree with me.

WRs are a dime a dozen if you want scrubs like David Nelson, Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill.

problem is first tier wr's never hit the market...idk I guess Cobb fits Gailey's system better.

Cobb is really a second tier WR. Put Crabtree or Steve Johnson opposite Nelson drawing man coverage with Rodgers throwing the ball they put up pretty stats too.

And I like Cobb. But no way is he an elite WR. His stats are elite but I would take 10 other receivers before him easy.

He had Russell this year until he got traded.

And stop using buzz words like "explosive!". Look at Harvin's #s FFS. He would have averaged out this year as a Jet to 58 grabs and 2 TD. DYNAMITE!!!

Not saying keeping Harvin is any kind of no-brainer, but sometimes stats don't tell everything.

In one game alone this year with Seattle he had 3 TDs called back due to penalties. One was a personal foul penalty, away from the play, but committed before Harvin reached the endzone. It was a bomb and Harvin had burned his man by a good 7 yards. One was a holding call that was crap; Harvin had already beaten that defender and was 10 yards away from him with the gap widening at the time of the hold. The other was a false start but none of the players knew it during the play. So his numbers for the game were sh*t (4 catches 27 yards and 2 rushes for 7 yards), but he played great.

How many plays was he wide open and Smith either didn't see him, or Smith did see him and threw it and just flat-out missed him? There was at least one easy, long TD that everyone except me can remember which game. 4 plays alone in 2 games and through no fault of his own he had a couple hundred yards and 4 TDs pretty much just erased from his stats.

He can still play, and he is definitely still explosive, but it's not that simple. $10.5M is a lot for a player as inconsistent as he is, and with such a history of injuries and attitude problems. Plus no one wants our 4th round pick to downgrade to a 6th rounder either. And it's not like the 2015 Jets are all set for a realistic superbowl run if only we had an x-factor type on offense. If his salary was $6M and no draft picks were due to change hands, I don't think there would be nearly as many fans up in arms about keeping him around at least through the summer, if not the season, with all our spending room. But that's not the situation so, again, it's not that simple.

Not saying keeping Harvin is any kind of no-brainer, but sometimes stats don't tell everything.

In one game alone this year with Seattle he had 3 TDs called back due to penalties. One was a personal foul penalty, away from the play, but committed before Harvin reached the endzone. It was a bomb and Harvin had burned his man by a good 7 yards. One was a holding call that was crap; Harvin had already beaten that defender and was 10 yards away from him with the gap widening at the time of the hold. The other was a false start but none of the players knew it during the play. So his numbers for the game were sh*t (4 catches 27 yards and 2 rushes for 7 yards), but he played great.

How many plays was he wide open and Smith either didn't see him, or Smith did see him and threw it and just flat-out missed him? There was at least one easy, long TD that everyone except me can remember which game. 4 plays alone in 2 games and through no fault of his own he had a couple hundred yards and 4 TDs pretty much just erased from his stats.

He can still play, and he is definitely still explosive, but it's not that simple. $10.5M is a lot for a player as inconsistent as he is, and with such a history of injuries and attitude problems. Plus no one wants our 4th round pick to downgrade to a 6th rounder either. And it's not like the 2015 Jets are all set for a realistic superbowl run if only we had an x-factor type on offense. If his salary was $6M and no draft picks were due to change hands, I don't think there would be nearly as many fans up in arms about keeping him around at least through the summer, if not the season, with all our spending room. But that's not the situation so, again, it's not that simple.

6 million and no pick? Sure I'd keep him.

Average of 41 catches and less than 2 TD's per year.

Pure stud receiver.

Living in Wisconsin, it's fairly evident Cobb is a system guy. So is Kerley. They are both as good as their QB allows, and if your QB is going to the HOF (Brady/Rogers), you're quite likely to make some average to above average (Welker/Cobb) guys look like HOFers themselves. 

Put them with Geno, Sanchez and whoever was in Miami with Welker...and well... you have JAG's.

I'm surprised you think Cobb is that good to be honest?

Cobb is really a second tier WR. Put Crabtree or Steve Johnson opposite Nelson drawing man coverage with Rodgers throwing the ball they put up pretty stats too.

And I like Cobb. But no way is he an elite WR. His stats are elite but I would take 10 other receivers before him easy.

Please stop saying Nelson.  I know that you mean Decker, but you have been spouting Nelson, McCareins and Sidney Rice for so long that you are typing Nelson instead.  Nelson and Stevie Johnson?  What the **** are we trying to become?  The 2011 Buffalo Bills?

Everybody is fixed on the 10 million

With the amount of cap space we have, if Mac can still be creative, and still get some bargains during the early part of FA, there is no rush to release Harvin until the point that they have to, in order to avoid giving up the 4th.  We should work the FA market with both aggression and smarts, and if the Jets can make a coup in the first 10 days, and we can still keep Harvin, or Harvin remains a fit based on the players we would have signed in the first 9 days until the Mar 19th decision date, and we can still fit his cap number into this coming season, we are back to the same place again next year, and next year's strategy will be based on his performance this year, he has a good season, we re-visit a restructure, if not, we let him go without a cap hit.

The current deal he is on also has positives for the Jets, as the cap continues to balloon the next couple of years, there is not as much risk keeping him this coming season if FA plays out in a way that either we need to address WR, and lose out on other options in Cobb, Maclin, and Smith.

Cobb is great. Also for what it's worth the data set isn't huge but good receivers leaving good quarterbacks don't really tend to drop off as much as people expect.

Cobb is a good receiver and would still be productive. A lot of people were saying Decker was a product of manning yet he was productive with Tebow and playing basically half a season last year with Geno (I don't count him appearing in games with an injured hamstring).

Do we still even realistically go after Cobb at 12 million? We don't know Macc yet.. we know he wants to spend money and very well HAS to. But does he go after the biggest name in the Wide out pile at 12?

I would like Smith and Johnson.

The FA pool at WR isn't as deep as people think it is which is why Cobb can realistically try for $10-12 mil per year.

Unless you have Tom Brady or like Seattle have the best D and Lynch you need wide receivers. Look at Cincinatti they have a lousy starting qb but they are in the playoffs every year. Houston made the playoffs a couple years with Matt fn Schaub who is barely a backup now because they had Andre in his prime. The Jets almost got to a Super Bowl with goofball at qb because they had BE, Tone, Cotchery and Keller when they were all still good players.

You got to have the receivers.

throwing out the off the field and locker room stuff...Harvin > Cobb easily. More explosive, more dynamic...just an all around better player. Cobb's a good chain mover and a nice player...but he's not worth spending on really. He'll be on the Raiders next year catching 40 balls for 700 yards and like 5 td's.

When did the Raiders trade for Geno Smith?( must have missed that). With Derek Carr, there is no way that Randall Cobb puts up those anemic numbers next year. If that's what it cost( 12 million) to sign Cobb , I hope the Raiders pass. I rather see the Raiders for 12 million add a proven pass rusher for that price . They are guaranteed to get a number 1 Wr in the draft.

Cobb, 9-10 million, 1,287 Yards, 12 TD's last year, no big injury concerns, no attitude issues, prototypical slot WR.

Harvin, 10 million and our 4th Round Pick, 500 or so Yards, 1 TD, serious injury concerns and attitude issues, trick-based KR/RB/WR "hybrid".

Yeah, tough choice.

Of course, I keep hearing Harvin is THE BEST WR possibly available this year, so I guess we should still sign Harvin, eh?

With the Jets cap-space, we could sign Cobb AND Andre Johnson (Texans letting him go looks like).  He's lost a bit, but is still vastly better than Percy lol Harvin.

Decker/Cobb/Johnson/Kerley/Amaro

Where do I sign up?

Cobb knows he not getting 12 mil per, Dez franchise tag is about that, he's not going to sale himself low I bet he gets a contract similar to what we gave Decker which is great market value for what he brings to the table .

There is zero chance that Cobb gets 7 mil per year.  Zero.  Not with the Raiders/Jets/Browns all needing receivers and having all of that cap space.  Just my opinion but that would be an absolute shock to me.

Cobb, 9-10 million, 1,287 Yards, 12 TD's last year, no big injury concerns, no attitude issues, prototypical slot WR.

Harvin, 10 million and our 4th Round Pick, 500 or so Yards, 1 TD, serious injury concerns and attitude issues, trick-based KR/RB/WR "hybrid".

Yeah, tough choice.

Of course, I keep hearing Harvin is THE BEST WR possibly available this year, so I guess we should still sign Harvin, eh?

With the Jets cap-space, we could sign Cobb AND Andre Johnson (Texans letting him go looks like).  He's lost a bit, but is still vastly better than Percy lol Harvin.

Where do I sign up?

Co-sign me as well.

There is zero chance that Cobb gets 7 mil per year.  Zero.  Not with the Raiders/Jets/Browns all needing receivers and having all of that cap space.  Just my opinion but that would be an absolute shock to me.

I mean similar contract form by way more guarantees than Decker, Cobb brings more to the table.

Yeah, tough choice.

Where do I sign up?

You keep referring to Harvin as a trick-based hybrid, but you discount his 100-350 yards rushing per year.  It gets lost in the blowout, but not only did Harvin score a TD, but he was the leading rusher in Super Bowl XLVIII.  You also claim that Cobb has no serious injury concerns, but he missed 10 games because of his knee in 2013.  Cobb certainly may be a better choice than Harvin, but it is far from a foregone conclusion.  If they can sign Cobb and Johnson they can keep Harvin and sign Johnson.   In fact, they can keep Harvin and sign Cobb.

Yeah, tough choice.

Where do I sign up?

Why would you sign a 34 year old WR who is bitching about his role to a team that is rebuilding?  What is the point?

You keep referring to Harvin as a trick-based hybrid, but you discount his 100-350 yards rushing per year.  It gets lost in the blowout, but not only did Harvin score a TD, but he was the leading rusher in Super Bowl XLVIII.  You also claim that Cobb has no serious injury concerns, but he missed 10 games because of his knee in 2013.  Cobb certainly may be a better choice than Harvin, but it is far from a foregone conclusion.  If they can sign Cobb and Johnson they can keep Harvin and sign Johnson.   In fact, they can keep Harvin and sign Cobb.

Why would I sign a WR to play RB?

We should have RB's for that.  If your WR has more than a few rushing yards, he's a trick-player.

And to answer the other question posed above, I'd sign Johnson because even at 34, he's better than Harvin will ever be as a WR and has less drawbacks/costs.

I just don;t get the obsession with keeping Harvin, seems some of you think he's Jerry Rice ffs, when he's a pure JAG with drabacks and costs and his record proves it.

We should have RB's for that.  If your WR has more than a few rushing yards, he's a trick-player.

And to answer the other question posed above, I'd sign Johnson because even at 34, he's better than Harvin will ever be as a WR and has less drawbacks/costs.

I just don;t get the obsession with keeping Harvin, seems some of you think he's Jerry Rice ffs, when he's a pure JAG with drabacks and costs and his record proves it.

I don't understand the obsession with receiving yards.  Yards are yards.  Do you really give a **** if they are "trick yards" or receiving yards?  The Patriots just won a super bowl and get a sh*t load of "trick" yards.  They wouldn't have gotten by the Ravens without them.  Gailey seems to like tweener hybrid RB/WR/KR.  He signed Rocket in Dallas and did plenty with him.  Harvin has played RB since college, and can duplicate some of what people expect from Spiller.  I would consider keeping Harvin because he can fill the Spiller role and is a legit WR.  They can still sign or draft another WR. 

1.  There is legitimately no reason for Andre Johnson to come here.  No QB, no shot at a ring, no established offense

2.  He offers no long run positives, he's already 34 and *newsflash* we aren't making a superbowl run

This franchise needs to do the exact opposite of this move and just build consistency towards the future.  Get a few talented young receivers and have them grow together.  Constant turnover is murdering the ability to foster an actual goddamn offense.  

I don't understand the obsession with receiving yards.  Yards are yards.  Do you really give a **** if they are "trick yards" or receiving yards?  The Patriots just won a super bowl and get a sh*t load of "trick" yards.  They wouldn't have gotten by the Ravens without them.  Gailey seems to like tweener hybrid RB/WR/KR.  He signed Rocket in Dallas and did plenty with him.  Harvin has played RB since college, and can duplicate some of what people expect from Spiller.  I would consider keeping Harvin because he can fill the Spiller role and is a legit WR.  They can still sign or draft another WR. 

I agree totally but isnt the problem that Harvin gets pissy when he's not lined up as a traditional receiver?

Not saying Cobb is not a good WR, he is but when you have Arron Rodgers throwing you the ball then you should be able to put up some good numbers. If  Jeremy Kerley were a Packer he would get 1,000 yards and 8-10 td's and then get 8-10 million from us in free aganecy.

Archived