Sign in to follow this  
Morrissey

Yankees Retiring Posada, Williams, and Pettitte numbers, honor Randolph

Agree with retiring Pettite #. Posada and Bernie no. Pettite was the most valuable player of those three.

The 96 season alone he deserves his number retired.

If the rotation falls apart the Yankees are looking at a potential 70 win season. The steinbrenners know this and are trying to generate something positive

When's Joe Pepitone day?

They give out a free bowl of pasta to every fan in attendance.

guess you don't remember how good Bernie was those years, especially 98-99

Give me a break I watched every game those seasons Andy was a significantly more valuable player and was both regular season and playoff MVP of the 1996 World Series team. Without that first World Series the other championships may not even happen. He's one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time for any team not just the Yankees. He absolutely should have his jersey number retired this isn't even a debate.

and Bernie was the MVP in the 1996 ALCS.

He also holds career postseason record for RBI (80). He is also second all-time for postseason home runs (22), doubles (29), total hits (128), total bases (223), and runs scored (83). He also never cheated or left the team, so there is that.

Pettite record in 1996 21-8 (league leader) was outstanding in the playoffs stopping the bleeding in gm 2 versus the rangers, 2 wins vs the orioles and out dueled John Smoltz in game 5 of the World Series. He has a .625 winning pct in 18 seasons. Has the record for most postseason wins of any pitcher period. Andy would have never left if the Yankees didn't do the stupid thing and stonewall him in 2004 and not only should he have his number retired he should be in the hall of fame.

But ya let's lump him in with pat Kelly and Bob Wickman. If pettite was a Met there would be a statue of him in the parking lot of citifield.

Pettitte was a good pitcher and a good playoff pitcher but you're overstating his results. And he shouldn't be a HOFer.

As far as Bernie and Pettitte, if I'm starting a team and I can pick one of the two. I take Bernie Williams all day long over Andy Pettitte.

Good playoff pitcher? He has the all time record for postseason wins.

I grew up watching Bernie I bought his rookie card when he first came up but good offensive outfielders are a dime a dozen especially in that era.

How do Yankee fans who hate ARod for cheating reconcile that Pettitte is really the same?

Don't look at me I'm a huge Arod fan.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company