Yankees Retiring Posada, Williams, and Pettitte numbers, honor Randolph

Morrissey

I think the Steinbrenner family has taken this way to far with the retired numbers, Bernie Williams is my guy, he's my favorite baseball player, but you can honor these guys without taken numbers out of circulation. Yankees showed how last summer by giving Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez plaques, they will again with Willie Randolph. How can Andy Pettitte have his number retired and not Lefty Gomez or Red Ruffing? Is it because Lefty Gomez won't have a following coming to Yankee Stadium to buy beer and hotdogs this summer?

Agree with retiring Pettite #. Posada and Bernie no. Pettite was the most valuable player of those three.

The 96 season alone he deserves his number retired.

If the rotation falls apart the Yankees are looking at a potential 70 win season. The steinbrenners know this and are trying to generate something positive

Agree with retiring Pettite #. Posada and Bernie no. Pettite was the most valuable player of those three.

The 96 season alone he deserves his number retired.

If the rotation falls apart the Yankees are looking at a potential 70 win season. The steinbrenners know this and are trying to generate something positive

guess you don't remember how good Bernie was those years, especially 98-99

guess you don't remember how good Bernie was those years, especially 98-99

Give me a break I watched every game those seasons Andy was a significantly more valuable player and was both regular season and playoff MVP of the 1996 World Series team. Without that first World Series the other championships may not even happen. He's one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time for any team not just the Yankees. He absolutely should have his jersey number retired this isn't even a debate.

Give me a break I watched every game those seasons Andy was a significantly more valuable player and was both regular season and playoff MVP of the 1996 World Series team. Without that first World Series the other championships may not even happen. He's one of the greatest postseason pitchers of all time for any team not just the Yankees. He absolutely should have his jersey number retired this isn't even a debate.

and Bernie was the MVP in the 1996 ALCS.

He also holds career postseason record for RBI (80). He is also second all-time for postseason home runs (22), doubles (29), total hits (128), total bases (223), and runs scored (83). He also never cheated or left the team, so there is that. 

Right after Pat Kelly Day.

Yankees must be really worried about their attendance. What a despicable, front-running corporate fan base they have.

That's NY sports for you, it's not just the Yankees. They're lucky they still have Arod or else we'd be getting a Melido Perez day too.

I think the Steinbrenner family has taken this way to far with the retired numbers, Bernie Williams is my guy, he's my favorite baseball player, but you can honor these guys without taken numbers out of circulation. Yankees showed how last summer by giving Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez plaques, they will again with Willie Randolph. How can Andy Pettitte have his number retired and not Lefty Gomez or Red Ruffing? Is it because Lefty Gomez won't have a following coming to Yankee Stadium to buy beer and hotdogs this summer?

Bernie was mine as well.  But he is/was not Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio.  Tino?  A real nice player, but no.  Willie?  No. 

and Bernie was the MVP in the 1996 ALCS.

He also holds career postseason record for RBI (80). He is also second all-time for postseason home runs (22), doubles (29), total hits (128), total bases (223), and runs scored (83). He also never cheated or left the team, so there is that.

Pettite record in 1996 21-8 (league leader) was outstanding in the playoffs stopping the bleeding in gm 2 versus the rangers, 2 wins vs the orioles and out dueled John Smoltz in game 5 of the World Series. He has a .625 winning pct in 18 seasons. Has the record for most postseason wins of any pitcher period. Andy would have never left if the Yankees didn't do the stupid thing and stonewall him in 2004 and not only should he have his number retired he should be in the hall of fame.

But ya let's lump him in with pat Kelly and Bob Wickman. If pettite was a Met there would be a statue of him in the parking lot of citifield.

Pettite record in 1996 21-8 (league leader) was outstanding in the playoffs stopping the bleeding in gm 2 versus the rangers, 2 wins vs the orioles and out dueled John Smoltz in game 5 of the World Series. He has a .625 winning pct in 18 seasons. Has the record for most postseason wins of any pitcher period. Andy would have never left if the Yankees didn't do the stupid thing and stonewall him in 2004 and not only should he have his number retired he should be in the hall of fame.

But ya let's lump him in with pat Kelly and Bob Wickman. If pettite was a Met there would be a statue of him in the parking lot of citifield.

W-L record? Come on... wins and losses is a team stat. And pretty meaningless when it comes to playoff considering the 3 round playoff system is relatively new. Do you believe Pettitte is a better post season pitcher than Bob Gibson or Whitey Ford because he has more wins?  

He's seldomly been the best pitcher on his team, let alone in baseball. He's been durable and reliable innings eater, not a front liner. And yes there is real value in that. I understand you like/love Andy for his long service to the Yankees, but the man's not HOF worthy,  and even if he was, admitted cheaters don't get in. His career 3.86 ERA would be the highest for any player in Cooperstown. Yankees let him go to Houston because their were real concerns about his elbow, and soon after arriving in Houston he had to be shut down and had season ending elbow surgery for a torn flexor tendon... and that's when he took HGH to heal faster.

Also there's middle ground between a player who deserves their number retired and Pat Kelly/Bob Wickman. You know.. like a plaque (like Lefty Gomez has, and Red Ruffing has, and Paul O'Neill has, and Tino Martinez has)

For the record, Bob Wickman kicked ass.  Jose Rijo, Bob Tewksbury, Al Leiter, Doug Drabek.  They let some good young pitching get away because..."Ken Phelps bat!"

Actually those guys were all gone before Phelps arrived IIRC, and they gave up another bat (Buhner) for Phelps.  I get what you're saying though.  I remember as a kid watching those Yankee teams that had zeo pitching while guys like Rijo and Drabek were winning Cy Young awards.

Good read on Bernie's value to the 1996-2000 teams.

Here is a preview

To put it in simple terms: Williams was arguably the best player on arguably the best dynasty baseball has ever seen. He was immensely clutch in the biggest moments, and his teams always, always won.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/109573924/bernie-williams-has-a-legacy-worth-remembering?partnerId=ed-8952926-776743653

Bernie was like the best player in baseball for a few years.  IIRC that is why Ichiro wore 51. Not a fan of retiring everybody and I kind of agree with the un-retiring post, though Maris was a beast for a bit there too.

Maris was weird.  Won back to back MVPs, but not much else.

Bernie was really good, but Griffy Jr was the best player in baseball. 

Retiring Posadas number and giving him a plaque is a joke. he was awful, god awful. the Yankees won some of those championships despite having him. and Posada was no key core guy on any of those championships from 96-2000. he couldnt catch, the Yanks wanted him to see an eye doctor because of all the passed balls. he was awful on plays at the plate, terrified of a collision he would always catch the ball by the pitchers mound and try running back to home plate. and he was probably the dumbest and worst base runner in the history of baseball. and he almost cost the Yankees the pennant in 2009 with his dumb base running in Anaheim. and he never did anything with the bat in clutch situations.

I grew up watching Thurman Munson with the Yankees. the guy was sooo tough. most people dont know this but the guy played most of the 1978 season with a separated shoulder after running into the wall in kc playing right field. he played the entire season with that ****ed shoulder and never said a word about it and helped them win the ws. he quietly had surgery in the off season. Posada shouldnt even get a plaque let alone his number retired.

Retiring Posadas number and giving him a plaque is a joke. he was awful, god awful. the Yankees won some of those championships despite having him. and Posada was no key core guy on any of those championships from 96-2000. he couldnt catch, the Yanks wanted him to see an eye doctor because of all the passed balls. he was awful on plays at the plate, terrified of a collision he would always catch the ball by the pitchers mound and try running back to home plate. and he was probably the dumbest and worst base runner in the history of baseball. and he almost cost the Yankees the pennant in 2009 with his dumb base running in Anaheim. and he never did anything with the bat in clutch situations.

I grew up watching Thurman Munson with the Yankees. the guy was sooo tough. most people dont know this but the guy played most of the 1978 season with a separated shoulder after running into the wall in kc playing right field. he played the entire season with that ****ed shoulder and never said a word about it and helped them win the ws. he quietly had surgery in the off season. Posada shouldnt even get a plaque let alone his number retired.

Don't agree with everything you said, but yeah his base running was just terrible.. lol

I also recall him getting a pretty big hit vs Pedro in the Aaron Boone game. Jeter had the captain title, but I think Posada was as much of a leader of those mid to late 2000 teams as Jeter who was less vocal than Jorge. I miss seeing him

Don't agree with everything or most of what you said, but yeah his base running was just terrible.. lol

I also recall him getting a pretty big hit vs Pedro in the Aaron Boone game.

Yeah a pop up that found a hole.  what dont you agree with? the eye doctor thing is actually documented which I find hilarious. he had a gun of an arm in the beginning and was good at throwing runners out. but eh elite? core guy? :rl: nah I dont think so

Yeah a pop up that found a hole.  what dont you agree with? the eye doctor thing is actually documented which I find hilarious. he had a gun of an arm in the beginning and was good at throwing runners out. but eh elite? core guy? :rl: nah I dont think so

Hits a hit, Posada was one of the best offensive catchers in baseball during his career. He's Piazza Light. While I agree he shouldn't have his number retired and he's not HOFer that doesn't mean he wasn't a great Yankee who shouldn't be honored for his career. He was most certainly was part of the Yankee core. The guy was in the middle of the lineup for 15 years.

Hits a hit, Posada was one of the best offensive catchers in baseball during his career. He's Piazza Light. While I agree he shouldn't have his number retired and he's not HOFer that doesn't mean he wasn't a great Yankee who shouldn't be honored for his career. He was most certainly was part of the Yankee core. The guy was in the middle of the lineup for 15 years.

If they want to have a day for him fine. but don't retire his number, that's silly. Catfish Hunter was a great Yankee. he was a huge part of the Yankees success in the 70's. they had a Catfish Hunter day in 79 during his last season (he even rode an elephant on the field). but they never retired his number. and hes a hall of famer.

If they want to have a day for him fine. but don't retire his number, that's silly. Catfish Hunter was a great Yankee. he was a huge part of the Yankees success in the 70's. they had a Catfish Hunter day in 79 during his last season (he even rode an elephant on the field). but they never retired his number. and hes a hall of famer.

Because he played a decade in KC/Oakland before coming to NY for 5 seasons. Went to 8 All-Star games, 6 as an Athletic. He's not a Yankee like Posada is, guy played 17 years for 1 team.

Because he played a decade in KC/Oakland before coming to NY for 5 seasons. Went to 8 All-Star games, 6 as an Athletic. He's not a Yankee like Posada is, guy played 17 years for 1 team.

Well if thats the standard then Fred the chicken stanley should have a plaque and his number retired lol

Archived