Sign in to follow this  
UnitedWhofans

Revis viewed NE as a one year deal

Do you think he's worth 5 million a year? I do

If he played like last year, sure.

The Jets will have around 50 million dollars to spend in free agency and IMO are two cornerbacks away from having an top 5 defense again, probably better (Two depends on how you feel about Milliner and McDougle, I think Milliner can play but who knows how he'll recover from a significant injury).

Revis will get paid, as we all have learned by now. He's proven he's worth the money and if he can come play for the Jets for two years before moving on again I'd be cool with that. I don't see him getting 14-15 million though unless it's from Rex in Buffalo. Very fair point about Cro, but Cromartie loves it in NY by all accounts and I think he'd take the same amount of money to follow his coach from Arizona and return to where he never wanted to leave in the first place.

If Maccagnan just signed one of them I wouldn't hate it one bit but in my opinion if the Jets can completely round out their defense by signing both of them. It would allow Milliner to return the right way and not force him to be the guy right away again coming off of an achilles tear. The Jets have to spend their money to win and the cornerback position is the absolute weakest spot on the team (not counting qb, which is not fixable in free agency). 

In summary it doesn't have to be Revis, but Cro should be a guaranteed signing for the Jets. I'd look at Buster Skrine too as well as anybody else... but if Revis is there and isn't commanding 16 million a season I would pull the trigger.

Just because the Jets have $50 million to spend doesnt mean that they should be reckless with their spending. Revis will get paid regardless because someone will pay him, just because that's a fact doesnt mean that the Jets should be the one to pay him. You said it yourself "The Jets are 2 corners away from having an elite defense", then why pay two guys who will most likely not be around 1 year from now?

Look at the free agents available. 

Kareem Jackson 26 yrs old

Walter Thurmond 28 yrs old

Brandon Flowers 28 yrs old

Byron Maxwell 26 yrs old

Why throw 14 million at Darrelle Revis who will be with you for a year, maybe 2 when you can get long term deals from guys like Byron Maxwell and Kareem Jackson for the same amount of money you'd pay Revis (7 million each for example) and they're both 26 years old in the prime of their careers, not pushing 30 heading towards the tail end. 

You could sign both guys and still sign Cro if you wanted to, but you'd know that you'll have these guys available to you in their primes for the next 3 to 4 years and will truly be part of that top defense. You can get two quality players to take care of your Corner situation that you would pay Revis, you wouldnt need to spend money on Cro though you could if you wanted and you still have Williams, McDougal etc. as depth guys. Milliner I'm very worried about. Its one thing to tear your ACL, these days you can come back from that and have a productive career. However Dee Milliner tore his Achilles tendon. Im not really banking on his contribution to be honest. 

Truthfully, we need more than corners, our entire secondary is brutal. 

Come on New England.  Sign him to a huge contract.  Then you can ask one of your valuable players

to take less money.  (which is probably a good thing to do.)  But I don't care.  I still think NE is a pretty gutless

organization. 

(The following text will appear in the quote portion of the replying forum post)

Come on New England. Sign him to a huge contract. )

I'm sure they will do that because the Pats have such a history of over paying players.

I'm sure they will do that because the Pats have such a history of over paying players.

Hey you didn't post the special text in parenthesis I left for you.  You're no fun.  You lose.

Nothing new to me.....I think almost anyone that looked at that contract realized it was a 1 year deal.

The only reason the $20mil team option for 2015 was put in was to prevent New England from franchising him IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

and it worked until you guys got caught cheating

now you're title is tainted 

What color is tainted?

Nothing new to me.....I think almost anyone that looked at that contract realized it was a 1 year deal.

The only reason the $20mil team option for 2015 was put in was to prevent New England from franchising him IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It was to keep his 2014 cap outlay at 7mill. If they paid all 12 mill last year they would not have had the money to sign Branch, Ayers and Cassias during the season.

Revis and Cro reunited in green n white? Wouldn't that be nice?

No Thanks, I would like to have Cromartie and Byron Maxwell. 

Revis just won a title. He's a HOF lock.

That said, I remember reading about his 09 season. A few talking heads and a few sabremetrics people said that it was the best year a CB ever had and has a very low % of ever being replicated. So....why are we still talking about signing him?

I'd rather have Culliver and Maxwell for less than what Revis would cost in base salary alone.