"Big Nickel" in Arizona

David Harris

Taken from http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap3000000470721/article/nfc-west-rookie-grades-aaron-donald-led-rams-stellar-crop

"Deone Bucannon was a key member of Arizona's exotic "Big Nickel" package that befuddled opponents around the NFL. The big-bodied safety thrived as a hybrid linebacker near the line of scrimmage, exhibiting outstanding instincts, awareness and physicality as a box defender."

I'm not overly familiar with the AZ defense that was run by Bowles outside of the most extensive blitzing in the league last year.  But this Big Nickel position sounds like something that may take advantage of Calvin Pryor's skill set, he essentially is a hybrid LB, good instincts but poor angles with enormous physicality. 

Not trying to be funny.  But does it matter in that position that Pace is slow as fuk?

It may since we're talking about Calvin Pryor and not Calvin Pace.

This Big Nickel description seems to fit Pryor's skill set and would hide his deficiencies in coverage and terrible angles down the field

Pryor got his ass kicked when he played down in the box. Allen is the better option for this type of duty, by far. Pryor needs major coaching.

Pryor>Bridgewater

You decide, lol

Fans last year before the draft were like keep taking QB until we find one.

Seemed silly but Pryor was useless.

I will flat out make a prediction right now.  Pryor is going to be MUCH better next year under a coach with an even keel who will look at the guy and put him where he best fits.  Pryor was going to the Rex anointed kill shots from day one and this led to poor positioning bad angles and a host of other problems. 

I will flat out make a prediction right now.  Pryor is going to be MUCH better next year under a coach with an even keel who will look at the guy and put him where he best fits.  Pryor was going to the Rex anointed kill shots from day one and this led to poor positioning bad angles and a host of other problems. 

I agree here. The whole CB debacle last year definitely took time away from Pryors learning and coaches ability to focus on his position. I expect a huge improvement from him this year. Experience and failure is the best teacher.

Pryor got his ass kicked when he played down in the box. Allen is the better option for this type of duty, by far. Pryor needs major coaching.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

You where dead on calling it a Pyrrhic victory at the time. We could have had OBJ instead, possibly saved your boy Idzik's job and been done with Rex.

It may since we're talking about Calvin Pryor and not Calvin Pace.

This Big Nickel description seems to fit Pryor's skill set and would hide his deficiencies in coverage and terrible angles down the field

Geez, what a complete dick I am.   Sorry about that.  Misread Pryor as Pace.  

I'm giving myself neg rep for that error.  Sucks getting old, DH.  

It would probably fit Antonio Allens skillset better

I agree. Allen can play the run as well as cover, which is the advantage of having a Safety as oppose to an outside linebacker in the formation they're talking about. Plus I believe Allen played a hybrid safety/linebacker in college, a position they called "The Spur" in his defense.

I'm still holding out hope that Pryor will become an impact player. With a year under his belt, the game should slow down for him some and hopefully he can play with more instinct. Definitely needs to take better angles than he did last year though no question.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm all for Antonio Allen doing anything that doesn't involve him playing cornerback. It's exciting to see what Bowles will have cooked up for certain players.

He won't have to if the FO does it's job and signs two competent starting cb's in free agency. Allen can play FS and Pryor can play SS.

As far as "big nickel" goes it's used to jam the tight end at the line of scrimmage and disrupt quick passes over the middle. Sam Acho runs a 4.65 40 and has lb size he can be used in that role.

new regime with no attachment to Pryor to is the best thing for him.   He will finally have to earn playing time and won't be handed a starting spot based on Idzik/Rex wishful thinking.  

Antonio Allen is a better coverage safety than Pryor.

Pryor disgusts me BTW.

The Pryor hate is reaching inevitable Jets fan full fledged overreaction.  Allen may be better at man, but he looks pretty lost playing back.  I didn't read much about this alleged package, but it sounds like it might be similar to the position Allen supposedly played at South Carolina.

I'm still convinced Rex moved Allen to CB solely as a way to spite Idzik.

I think he was forced to play Allen at CB because Idzik provided that defensive backfield out of spite.

Taken from http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap3000000470721/article/nfc-west-rookie-grades-aaron-donald-led-rams-stellar-crop

"Deone Bucannon was a key member of Arizona's exotic "Big Nickel" package that befuddled opponents around the NFL. The big-bodied safety thrived as a hybrid linebacker near the line of scrimmage, exhibiting outstanding instincts, awareness and physicality as a box defender."

I'm not overly familiar with the AZ defense that was run by Bowles outside of the most extensive blitzing in the league last year.  But this Big Nickel position sounds like something that may take advantage of Calvin Pryor's skill set, he essentially is a hybrid LB, good instincts but poor angles with enormous physicality. 

Sounds like something he may use the Louisville Slugger on to me.

Definitely. Pyror is going to be a huge bust considering how good that first round was. I don't think people realize how bad he was in the box.  PFF grades are meaningless when you watch the game - and anyone that watched Pryor saw he didn't belong on the field. 

Drafting a small secondary player with no cover skills. The present Rex/Idzik gave us before they left. I can only hope we dont force him on the field for the next few years unless he earns it. 

I watched the games. Pryor was not as good as we had hoped, but the labels around here are ridiculous. Fully expected, but ridiculous nonetheless.

You can't honestly say he was even average last year. I really liked the pick based on the type of player everyone was describing. Heard Polomalu's name tossed around a bit. I really wanted to like him. But he was very disappointing.

Archived