Gholston Trying To Make A Comeback

Jet9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470920/article/vernon-gholston-tweets-he-has-tryout-with-redskins?campaign=Twitter_atn_shook

Not much has been seen or heard from Vernon Gholston in recent years.

But according to a tweet sent Tuesday, that might soon change.

Out of the league entirely since 2012 and not seen in a regular-season game since 2010, Gholston took to Twitter to tell his followers that he has earned a tryout.

It's a revelation expected by no one, seeing as Gholston's last shot in the league came in a 10-day camp stint with the St. Louis Rams in 2012. But long before he was regarded as one of the biggest busts of the last decade, the former Ohio State Buckeye had scouts drooling with his game film, so much that the New York Jets used their No. 6 overall pick on him in the 2008 NFL Draft.

What followed was a three-season stretch of ineptitude as the defender struggled at both outside linebacker and defensive end. The edge-rusher feared around the Big Ten failed to record a single sack in his professional career, tallying just 16 solo tackles.

Gholston got a second chance with the Chicago Bears in 2011, but didn't survive final cuts.

While he remains a long shot to make the Redskins, Tuesday's social media activity at least got his follower count over 1,000.

Comeback? Comeback to what?

In order to make a comeback, you had to be there in the first place.

Obviously this clown burned through all his money in his rookie contract. Do you know much a bottle of Dom P at a decent club or gold-plated spinners cost? I heard he had to slum it and get silver plated spinners on his new BMW i8

And this is why drafting a player like Scherff at 6 isn't a stupid move because he's a guard. I'd rather have a solid OG and potential PBer then a bust.

So you're pretty much hoping that we draft scared?  Lets never take a QB or a good OLB prospect because we drafted Gholston like 10 years ago.  Makes sense.

I was listening to an ESPN podcast the other night (forget from which show) where Damien Woody was discussing rookies and how early could he tell if a player would be a bust or not.

He said every position is different, but used Gholston as an example, stating he could tell in the first practice that "they" (The Jets) were in trouble as Gholston's hips were too stiff to be a pass rusher in the NFL.

Pretty sad. What a waste of a top pick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I was listening to an ESPN podcast the other night (forget from which show) where Damien Woody was discussing rookies and how early could he tell if a player would be a bust or not.

He said every position is different, but used Gholston as an example, stating he could tell in the first practice that "they" (The Jets) were in trouble as Gholston's hips were too stiff to be a pass rusher in the NFL.

Pretty sad. What a waste of a top pick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jets scouting at its finest

So you're pretty much hoping that we draft scared? Lets never take a QB or a good OLB prospect because we drafted Gholston like 10 years ago. Makes sense.

Not even remotely what I said. Draft the bpa that you need. Outside of STs any position is worth taking at number 6.

No one use to take OL early now OTs fly off the board and OGs and Cs go in the first.

If the bpa is a OG at 6 you take him because he'll be gone by the 2nd.

Not even remotely what I said. Draft the bpa that you need. Outside of STs any position is worth taking at number 6.

No one use to take OL early now OTs fly off the board and OGs and Cs go in the first.

If the bpa is a OG at 6 you take him because he'll be gone by the 2nd.

I love BPA.  I thought you were saying that you would pass on a OLB that you rated higher and go with the presumably "safer" pick of an OG. My mistake if that's not the case.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470920/article/vernon-gholston-tweets-he-has-tryout-with-redskins?campaign=Twitter_atn_shook

Not much has been seen or heard from Vernon Gholston in recent years.

But according to a tweet sent Tuesday, that might soon change.

Out of the league entirely since 2012 and not seen in a regular-season game since 2010, Gholston took to Twitter to tell his followers that he has earned a tryout.

It's a revelation expected by no one, seeing as Gholston's last shot in the league came in a 10-day camp stint with the St. Louis Rams in 2012. But long before he was regarded as one of the biggest busts of the last decade, the former Ohio State Buckeye had scouts drooling with his game film, so much that the New York Jets used their No. 6 overall pick on him in the 2008 NFL Draft.

What followed was a three-season stretch of ineptitude as the defender struggled at both outside linebacker and defensive end. The edge-rusher feared around the Big Ten failed to record a single sack in his professional career, tallying just 16 solo tackles.

Gholston got a second chance with the Chicago Bears in 2011, but didn't survive final cuts.

While he remains a long shot to make the Redskins, Tuesday's social media activity at least got his follower count over 1,000.

As what a ballet dancer? Guy can't play football. Doesn't really WANT to play football, just sees dollar signs as a practice squad guy.

And this is why drafting a player like Scherff at 6 isn't a stupid move because he's a guard. I'd rather have a solid OG and potential PBer then a bust.

No olineman that has been drafted early has ever busted?  That's news to me.

As for Gholston I was hoping to see him blow up the new old vet player retread combine whenever that is.

No olineman that has been drafted early has ever busted?  That's news to me.

As for Gholston I was hoping to see him blow up the new old vet player retread combine whenever that is.

I seem to remember Dave Cadigan sucked for the Jets and he was a top 10 pick.. But one of the biggest O-line busts of all time was Tony Mandarich the 2nd player picked in the 89 draft by the Packers..

I seem to remember Dave Cadigan sucked for the Jets and he was a top 10 pick.. But one of the biggest O-line busts of all time was Tony Mandarich the 2nd player picked in the 89 draft by the Packers..

You don't have to go that far.  The Jets got Jason Smith from the Rams for Wayne Hunter.  Smith was drafted second overall, he was beaten out for LT by Saffold, moved to RT and dumped for the Jets scapegoat.  Basically out of football from that point on.  They'd have probably dumped him sooner if it weren't for the cap hit.  Can't miss prospect, combine warrior, great work ethic, dominated at Baylor, etc, etc, etc.

Mandarich had lousy footwork that somehow got overlooked. Brandon Scherff has very good footwork and technique on top of being an incredibly strong mf'er.

You don't have to go that far. The Jets got Jason Smith from the Rams for Wayne Hunter. Smith was drafted second overall, he was beaten out for LT by Saffold, moved to RT and dumped for the Jets scapegoat. Basically out of football from that point on. They'd have probably dumped him sooner if it weren't for the cap hit. Can't miss prospect, combine warrior, great work ethic, dominated at Baylor, etc, etc, etc.

I never understood the hype about they guy that draft had so many good OL prospects and yet he was ahead of guys like Michael Oher.

Brandon Scherff had knee surgery during the year and played through it. between that and his arm length, the combine medicals will be huge for this player.  

Brandon Scherff had knee surgery during the year and played through it. between that and his arm length, the combine medicals will be huge for this player.

Scherff returned pretty quickly from surgery and played even better. His arm length is 33 inches slightly longer than Zach Martin and the guy is going to be one of the 3 or 4 strongest players in the league the second he steps on a nfl field .

Scherff returned pretty quickly from surgery and played even better. 

He might be fine. but if you get a scope on Sunday, there might be long term consequences to playing on it the next Saturday and every saturday after that for another 6 weeks.

He's a tough dude and all but the idea that he's such a sure thing that he has to go top 10 is not how the draft works.

It's guys like gholston who go high, for better or worse. The guys who make you go whoa getting off the bus.

Those are the rules of the draft it's about upside not sure-thing-ness. It isn't always Gholston either sometimes it's Odell Beckham Jr. Will Brandon Scherff win the underwear Olympics the answer is probably no. 

Archived