If Mariota is the pick at six, how long are you willing to wait?

AFJF

Lots of people say he won't be ready right away.  Some say he'll need a year on the bench, others have said he'll need at least two.

If two years is what it takes then I'd be fine with a stop gap guy in the meantime.

Thoughts?

I'd wait two years. If the Jets draft Mariota they should come out and say they're committed to having him sit at least one year and have no intention of him playing regardless of how good he looks or the team is doing. Sign a veteran beforehand (a must anyway) and let the vet and Geno compete for the job. I doubt that happens which is a part of my concern with the Jets drafting him.

There's a weird dynamic where if he throws well over the next couple of months he's a guy teams with enough ammo to move up (Cleveland, St. Louis) with a QB need may really want. Teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, and Washington should be willing to move down and the Jets won't get a crack at him. And if he doesn't throw well then he'll take a tumble. So realistically I don't think Mariota happens at 6 anyway.

Lots of people say he won't be ready right away.  Some say he'll need a year on the bench, others have said he'll need at least two.

If two years is what it takes then I'd be fine with a stop gap guy in the meantime.

Thoughts?

Can't give up two freakin years especially with a new coach and GM. Got to have someone who can play halfway through the first season, or at least the very beginning of the next. Two years is simply a luxury that I don't think you have at this level.

Zero chance it would take him 2 years. Let's not act as if he is transitioning from Free Safety to QB. 

Chan Gailey is known to run a "spread" offense, which is what Mariota ran in college (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/6/21/3105714/buffalo-bills-offense-chan-gailey-spread).%C2'>

So what makes anyone think it would take this kid 2 years to learn to play in Gailey's version of the spread? MAYBE it would take him 1 year and I have a feeling he could be ready early in year 1 to start under Gailey. 

Remember we don't have Rex and his "ground and pound" mentality anymore. If Gailey likes the spread and Mariota can thrive in the spread offense, why not go with the spread from day 1 (like chip Kelly has done)?

There's a weird dynamic where if he throws well over the next couple of months he's a guy teams with enough ammo to move up (Cleveland, St. Louis) with a QB need may really want. Teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, and Washington should be willing to move down and the Jets won't get a crack at him. And if he doesn't throw well then he'll take a tumble. So realistically I don't think Mariota happens at 6 anyway.

I agree. This is how I see it as well. If he looks like a franchise QB, he's gonna go top two. If not to Tennessee, then to someone who wants him enough to trade up that high. If he slips just a little, teams will look to trade in front of the obviously QB-needy Jets. If he slips all the way to #6, it's quite possible it'll be because he's just not enticing enough for the Jets to be interested in him either. Taking an Aaron Rogers or Geno Smith type tumble in the draft is definitely not out of the question.

If he's gonna wind up as the Jets QB, it'll be because the Jets love him enough to trade up to get him. And if that happens, I'd expect to see him starting by the second half of the season - unless the Jets, with Geno or some unnamed vet, is in the midst of a potential playoff run.

Interesting to see the contrast.  I'd prefer somebody who's ready now, but the last thing I'd want to see is for this team to ruin another early pick.  The Gailey angle is a good one and probably the number one reason I'd be fine with the Jets taking Mariota.  His presence could be the reason the Jets pick him if he's there and his flexibility on offensive schemes could mean getting Mariota on the field faster than a coordinator who's married to a specific system that Mariota may not fit.

I realize he may  not be there, but I remember a lot of fans and analysts saying the Jets had better trade up if they wanted Matt Leinart because there was no way he was going to be there.  He was there, they passed, and the Jets got D'Brick.

No shortage of analysts saying Mariota is nowhere near NFL ready right now.  The only pro I've heard give him a ringing endorsement was Matt Millen who said Marita is the best QB to come out since Andrew Luck.

So here's the thing.

Washington's not going to take Mariota. They just named RGIII the starter for next year.

Jaguars and Raiders don't need a QB.

Rumors are that Tennessee will be happy with Mettenburger at QB this year.

Rams have committed to Sam Bradford

The possibility that Mariota falls to us is very likely, which means the trade market opens up

So here's the thing.

Washington's not going to take Mariota. They just named RGIII the starter for next year.

The possibility that Mariota falls to us is very likely, which means the trade market opens up

Let's assume all of this is true (which I don't necessarily believe) there's little reason to think one of these teams will not trade down.  If there's someone that wants Mariotta (i.e. the Eagles) and the teams above us need to fill as many holes as we do..they're going to trade down. 

I see three scenarios..

1) he's taken before (likely at Tenn.)

2) A team above us trades down

3) The Jets love him and we trade up to get him

I Just don't see how he falls to 6.

So here's the thing.

Tennessee or Wash. could take Mariota IMO, but I also see why they could pass on him.  Talk of them being very happy with Mettenberger started well before they knew they'd be picking at no. 2 so it's not as if this is a pre-draft smoke screen.  Thing is, do they like him enough to pass on Mariota?

Washington could do it, but are they willing to take another QB after essentially using 3 first rounders on RGIII.  Four first round picks on a QB in three years is bad.  Plenty of media speculation that RGIII is on his way out, but at the same time I constantly hear that Snyder wants RGIII and Gruden to work things out.

I agree. This is how I see it as well. If he looks like a franchise QB, he's gonna go top two. If not to Tennessee, then to someone who wants him enough to trade up that high. If he slips just a little, teams will look to trade in front of the obviously QB-needy Jets. If he slips all the way to #6, it's quite possible it'll be because he's just not enticing enough for the Jets to be interested in him either. Taking an Aaron Rogers or Geno Smith type tumble in the draft is definitely not out of the question.

If he's gonna wind up as the Jets QB, it'll be because the Jets love him enough to trade up to get him. And if that happens, I'd expect to see him starting by the second half of the season - unless the Jets, with Geno or some unnamed vet, is in the midst of a potential playoff run.

what ya mean if he looks like a franchise QB ? I think he's proven he's a pretty damn good talent all he has to do now is prove that on the field and that comes way after the draft. He has the Size the brains and the ability this is going to come down to the interview process IMHO face to face discussions with teams/coaches/GM's will be what gets him drafted. Honestly he's going to make all the throws at the combine just like most prospects do, the combine is horsesh!t in so many ways

Let's assume all of this is true (which I don't necessarily believe) there's little reason to think one of these teams will not trade down.  If there's someone that wants Mariotta (i.e. the Eagles) and the teams above us need to fill as many holes as we do..they're going to trade down. 

I see three scenarios..

1) he's taken before (likely at Tenn.)

2) A team above us trades down

3) The Jets love him and we trade up to get him

I Just don't see how he falls to 6.

exactly there is no way he falls to 6 If the Eagles want him as bad as its rumored they do he will be gone early . If the Jets make a big splash in Free agency and fill most of the holes on the roster which with 50 mil to spend wont be out of the realm of possibility they may very well trade up to get Mariota I guess it comes down to how they feel about the kid. If Macagnan loves Mariota that's what its going to come down too. If he feels he's got what it takes he will make a push for a trade IMO

Did u try Halls? Heard it works well with hiccups.

No need...mods took care of it...they're good like that.

PS...never eat sugar free halls in mass quantities...they will act as a laxative.

Archived