If Mariota is the pick at six, how long are you willing to wait?

AFJF

I realize he may  not be there, but I remember a lot of fans and analysts saying the Jets had better trade up if they wanted Matt Leinart because there was no way he was going to be there.  He was there, they passed, and the Jets got D'Brick.

No shortage of analysts saying Mariota is nowhere near NFL ready right now.  The only pro I've heard give him a ringing endorsement was Matt Millen who said Marita is the best QB to come out since Andrew Luck.

I will never forget how Gary Meyers excoriated the Jets when they didn't draft Leinert.  I remember hating Leinert back then so I was very happy we passed.  Meyers is a know-nothing anyway.

As far as ringing endorsements of Mariota, I think Tony Dungy gave big praise to him as well (though I hadn't heard about Matt Millen saying stuff like that).

I will never forget how Gary Meyers excoriated the Jets when they didn't draft Leinert. I remember hating Leinert back then so I was very happy we passed. Meyers is a know-nothing anyway.

As far as ringing endorsements of Mariota, I think Tony Dungy gave big praise to him as well (though I hadn't heard about Matt Millen saying stuff like that).

I'm not a Gary Myers fan myself. Plenty of columnists are going to bash the Jets no matter who they take, Mariota or not.

This is a great question. Any QB taken in the first round MUST be able to start by opening day of his 2nd year. But especially a top 10 pick. If it's going to take 2 full seasons to develop a guy and he isn't starting until the end of his 2nd year or the start of his 3rd you made a huge mistake using the #6 overall pick on him. By defenition a project player like that is a 3rd or 4th round pick at best.

But anyways, to answer you question directly... Some where between week 6 of his rookie year and week one of his 2nd year

Just thought it would be interesting to see how patient people are willing to be.  I realize that many of us have waited our whole lives to see the Jets win, but every time an organization  hits the reset button and gets a new QB, it's day one for them no matter how long it's been for the fans.

Lots of people say he won't be ready right away.  Some say he'll need a year on the bench, others have said he'll need at least two.

If two years is what it takes then I'd be fine with a stop gap guy in the meantime.

Thoughts?

I don't think he'll ever be "ready", i think he lacks the talent to play at an elite level at the NFL.

With that said, you pick a QB at #6 overall, he either starts Day 1 Year one, or at worst, starts Day 1 Year 2.

Anything less is failure and a bad selection.

I don't think he'll ever be "ready", i think he lacks the talent to play at an elite level at the NFL.

With that said, you pick a QB at #6 overall, he either starts Day 1 Year one, or at worst, starts Day 1 Year 2.

Anything less is failure and a bad selection.

I don't necessarliy disagree. My ideal scenario would be a trade down and accumulate picks. From what I've seen out of Mariota, I see a guy who might be a good running back who plays one hell of a game of catch with his receivers. I'm viewing this from a kind of "don't really want the guy, but what if" pair of glasses.

I'm willing to wait two years becuase to me he looks like a guy who is going to need two years and if that's what it takes, I'd prefer that over rushing him, ruinging him, and wasting another high first round pick altogether.

Lots of people say he won't be ready right away.  Some say he'll need a year on the bench, others have said he'll need at least two.

If two years is what it takes then I'd be fine with a stop gap guy in the meantime.

Thoughts?

I think he has to be not he field Year Two---unless our stopgap plays really well. Otherwise, he has to be out there Year Two getting his egregious mistakes out of the way.

I don't necessarliy disagree. My ideal scenario would be a trade down and accumulate picks. From what I've seen out of Mariota, I see a guy who might be a good running back who plays one hell of a game of catch with his receivers. I'm viewing this from a kind of "don't really want the guy, but what if" pair of glasses.

I'm willing to wait two years becuase to me he looks like a guy who is going to need two years and if that's what it takes, I'd prefer that over rushing him, ruinging him, and wasting another high first round pick altogether.

Not sure I would pick him.  I would love to be able to trade down to the Browns for their 2 picks.  Two number ones--I really like that.  I ust don't know if the Browns go for another QB.  It might be a good idea to pick a QB every year when you are not sure, but not in the first round every year.

is it wrong that I wish the jets had an in-rehab Johnny on the team? at least there's a chance he could clean his life up and become a good player. 

I knew there was a reason I don't trust your evaluations of talent.

This may be the most misguided thing I've ever seen you write in all the many years I've known you.

The guy is a borderline NFL talent if he was clean, dedicated, motivated and strait-laced.

Come on Bit, really.

FWIW, I think that the idea that Mariota cannot read defenses is overplayed.

On the one hand, the guy ran an unconventional offense, and that is going to hinder him in learning a more pro-style offense in the future. I also understand that he threw to more open receivers and had fewer "anticipation throws" than Winston. I agree with the idea that Winston is the more pro-ready player. (But I don't trust him and would not draft at 6 him without at least very rigorous interview processes).

I think it is an unfair disservice to Mariota to say that he cannot read a defense. In reality, he ran a system that relied upon him making very quick judgments about what the defense was trying to do, and went through his reads accordingly.

Can we also remember that Mariota (unlike Winston) has been throwing to mostly "meh" receivers throughout his career. If you look through his targets at Oregon, you'll find that he has had a lot of decent to good players as TE and WR, but none on the level of Rashad Greene, Kelvin Benjamin. He had a solid receiver in his sophomore year that now plays for Chip Kelly --Josh Huff. Finally, in the playoff game that everyone probably remembers best, the team lacked several of their top offensive (and defensive) players, and that certainly played a role in their downfall.

I take him at 6 if his combine shows good velocity on his intermediate to long throws, and he appears football savvy in interviews that confirms my belief that he can grow into a complete NFL QB. 

On another note, the comparisons to Manziel, (while I can understand them if you havent really watched Mariota play) are completely off base. Mariota's has size, excellent character, and doesn't "chuck the ball up for grabs," a la Manziel.

Thanks, if you read all this.

i'm sorry, but only a retard would think for a second that the NEW YORK Jets would draft a QB with Mariota's profile with the 6th pick in hte draft - and think he'll be anywhere but under center (if he knows what that means) week 1...

The Jets drafting Mariota would be the worst thing for both parties involved. 

is it wrong that I wish the jets had an in-rehab Johnny on the team? at least there's a chance he could clean his life up and become a good player. Geno will never become a good player. 

Yes, it is wrong of you because of what it would have taken to take on this problem. Acquiring a player isn't the same as acquiring a player for a first round pick on a player. If he was picked up as a FA off the street with no guaranteed $ then you could sell that more ably. 

I'd rather have our oft-concussed safety.  Even without rehab, Manziel was no lock to be better than Geno. It's convenient to ascribe future certain accomplishments to a person who doesn't have to actually accomplish them.

And further, for all we know Josh Gordon is still on the team (not suspended) without Manziel's terrible influence.

If Mariota is there at 6, the Jets should either take him or trade down. The only way a trade happens is if teams believe the Jets like Mariota. The "accidentally-on-purpose, leaked info" has to be controlled thoroughly by the new GM.

However, the word can't be the Jets "love him" or a team will jump ahead of the Jets.

Tough spot for a new GM.

I knew there was a reason I don't trust your evaluations of talent.

This may be the most misguided thing I've ever seen you write in all the many years I've known you.

The guy is a borderline NFL talent if he was clean, dedicated, motivated and strait-laced.

Come on Bit, really.

I knew there was a reason I don't trust your evaluations of evaluations of talent. Thinking Boy Scout Manziel is a borderline NFL player is just as misguided as entertaining the notion of going near party boy Manziel.

I would expect him to sit the first 12 games of the year, if the Oline is doing a decent job in pass protection he should start the last 4 games of the year. And it is not only when he starts but what he is given to work with as far as the playbook, simpler reads, quicker routes

Archived