bust = Dee Milliner

kmnj

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gholston was a third round projection prior to the Combine.

If not for that one sack on Jake Long perhaps we would have been spared from drafting Vernon Gholston. 

Regarding Dee Milliner: Ill never get drafting players with injury issues and suddenly expecting them to be injury free.

Bull. A lot of people had Washington trading into the Top Ten to draft him. He was expected to go Top Ten.

It is not bull. Sanchez was not some consensus top 5 pick from the moment he declared. Far, far from it. He was typically rated between 16-20 and a lot of people still had him in the teens in April. He only moved up to the point where he was even hinted at as a top 5 pick highly because of the position he plays, and Sanchez in particular moved up very late in the pre-draft evaluation process that year. 

Milliner was not a reach at that spot. All the experts agreed with the pick and that was that.

Same with Gholston. And Sanchez. And Wilson.

The Jets have not reached for a player in a long time.

Then it speaks to their piss poor development skills.

Gholston was a third round projection prior to the Combine.

Not really. It's pretty standard. Guy is expected to have a great combine, stock goes up. Proceeds to actually have a good combine, stock goes up again for the same thing. What's funny about Gholston being the poster child for the syndrome is that he did not in fact have a good combine. The relevance of the 40 time and bench press everybody was gushing about is in reality about the same as the wonderlic.

The good news is that management is acting like Milliner will not be available....anything he adds is like a bonus.  This is great because last year the old regime just assumed Miliner was a shutdown corner to be and addressed the CB position with a pennies instead of dollars.  I think we will target one of the best CB's available and then go after another decent one.  They will still address a CB in the draft at some point. Miliner and McDoogle will become depth chart  players until proven otherwise and if they ever live up to their potential then we have a good situation on our hands.

This is wishful thinking.

Don't know if that's necessarily good news, I think they're just facing reality. And with no real ties to Milliner, it's easy for them to do. An Achilles is a serious injury, one that usually doesn't effect such a young player. Being able to contribute this year is a long shot. Coming back at all might be a long shot.

Luckily, Idzik took a CB in the third last year who now hasn't played a meaningful snap of football in two years.

Bowles has been quoted about the need to bolster the CB position, which is understandable to say the least - even though Rex was expected to field a top unit with that garbage at CB. It's where I expect them to make the biggest move in free agency: targeting the top guy, and probably a second potential starter, too. They don't have much choice.

Dee is 23, the same age as many guys in the draft (like Bryce Petty) and a few CB prospects (CB Prospect: Marcus Peters is 22). 

If he is fully recovered from his injuries there is no reason to think he can't reach his potential. 

I agree with this.

There were a lot of things Idzik did worthy of bitching about, but drafting Milliner wasn't one of them. His injury is about bad luck, not "injury history". 

I agree with this.

There were a lot of things Idzik did worthy of bitching about, but drafting Milliner wasn't one of them. His injury is about bad luck, not "injury history".

There was a lot of talk about Milliner's injury history before the draft because injury histories frequently lead to injury futures. It's not just bad luck. Idzik opted to take on a risk when he drafted an injury prone player, and it's not paying off.

There was a lot of talk about Milliner's injury history before the draft because injury histories frequently lead to injury futures. It's not just bad luck. Idzik opted to take on a risk when he drafted an injury prone player, and it's not paying off.

I disagree. He had an upper body injury history.

He was rushed back from ankle sprain and tore his achilles. If anything, the achilles injury is a result of Idzik not having any depth behind him, which led to him being rushed back.

His history suggested zero risk of an achilles injury. Every player in the draft had the same risk of tearing their achilles as Milliner did. 

I disagree. He had an upper body injury history.

He was rushed back from ankle sprain and tore his achilles. If anything, the achilles injury is a result of Idzik not having any depth behind him, which led to him being rushed back.

His history suggested zero risk of an achilles injury. Every player in the draft had the same risk of tearing their achilles as Milliner did.

I disagree with your disagreement. Millimer is very young to have a torn Achilles. His body has demonstrated itself to be injury prone. He had five surgeries in college. Prior to the Achilles injury last year, he had a high ankle sprain and a quad injury. He had an Achilles strain in his rookie camp with the team, along with a calf injury.

Some people are just brittle, and Dee displayed those signs clearly before he was drafted. Which is, again, why there was a lot of talk about his injury history before the draft. It's a significant component that Idzik ignored.

I disagree with your disagreement. Millimer is very young to have a torn Achilles. His body has demonstrated itself to be injury prone. He had five surgeries in college. Prior to the Achilles injury last year, he had a high ankle sprain and a quad injury. He had an Achilles strain in his rookie camp with the team, along with a calf injury.

Some people are just brittle, and Dee displayed those signs clearly before he was drafted. Which is, again, why there was a lot of talk about his injury history before the draft. It's a significant component that Idzik ignored.

Fair enough.

Ultimately I think being rushed back from the ankle sprain led to the achilles tear. No doubt in my mind that rushing him back comes down on Idzik for not having any depth behind him.

It's well established that Idzik ****ed things up. We're now splitting hairs over what aspect of Milliner he ****ed up. Oh well.

Report from just prior to the 2013 draft:

Dee Milliner has had five surgeries

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2013, 2:19 PM EST

Whether there are legitimate concerns about Dee Milliner’s ability to stay healthy or whether it’s all part of a smear campaign, the health of the former Alabama cornerback is one of the major topics of conversation in the final days before the NFL draft.

So with everyone buzzing about Milliner’s medical status, Adam Schefter of ESPN offers this note: Milliner has undergone a total of five surgeries: a right knee scope, a repair of a sports hernia, a procedure for a right tibia stress fracture and one surgery on each shoulder.

Milliner is still rehabbing after his most recent shoulder surgery, and he might not be ready for the start of training camp. So it’s easy to see why there are medical questions about him.

But it’s also important to remember this: In his three seasons at Alabama, Milliner missed exactly one game, and in that game (a blowout win over Western Kentucky), coach Nick Saban said Milliner had a minor hip injury and could have played if the team needed him. So while Milliner’s medical history may raise a few eyebrows, his football history says he can get on the field when his team needs him.

Note that a couple of those surgeries involved his legs - and this is just the surgery list! It doesn't include every other tweak, bump, bruise, and sprain the kid endured.

Injury prone players are injury prone.

So when the draft happened who would you have drafted instead of Milliner ?

Report from just prior to the 2013 draft:

Dee Milliner has had five surgeries

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2013, 2:19 PM EST

Whether there are legitimate concerns about Dee Milliner’s ability to stay healthy or whether it’s all part of a smear campaign, the health of the former Alabama cornerback is one of the major topics of conversation in the final days before the NFL draft.

So with everyone buzzing about Milliner’s medical status, Adam Schefter of ESPN offers this note: Milliner has undergone a total of five surgeries: a right knee scope, a repair of a sports hernia, a procedure for a right tibia stress fracture and one surgery on each shoulder.

Milliner is still rehabbing after his most recent shoulder surgery, and he might not be ready for the start of training camp. So it’s easy to see why there are medical questions about him.

But it’s also important to remember this: In his three seasons at Alabama, Milliner missed exactly one game, and in that game (a blowout win over Western Kentucky), coach Nick Saban said Milliner had a minor hip injury and could have played if the team needed him. So while Milliner’s medical history may raise a few eyebrows, his football history says he can get on the field when his team needs him.

Note that a couple of those surgeries involved his legs - and this is just the surgery list! It doesn't include every other tweak, bump, bruise, and sprain the kid endured.

Injury prone players are injury prone.

I only thought he had the shoulder surgeries. So, definitely wrong about him not having any lower body stuff. Good find.

Warmack had a real dood 2nd Half last yr, to call him a bust is a joke, the real bust at guard was Jon Cooper, cannot even start on Cards

Titans have no QB , no RB's and little talent at WR

Pretty hard for OL to look good, when entire O is crap on a stick

Carolina should have tossed Thomas Davis, The vikes should have tossed Adrian Peterson. Peyton Manning should have been tossed after his neck problems. Revis blew out his knee, Brady blew out his knee. Cromarties hips are shot.

Cute.

Now add 5 more surgeries to each guy.

Carolina should have tossed Thomas Davis, The vikes should have tossed Adrian Peterson. Peyton Manning should have been tossed after his neck problems. Revis blew out his knee, Brady blew out his knee. Cromarties hips are shot.

Yeah, but none of those guys were drafted by a guy who got Rex fired, so.

I'd like Dee to turn it around, I just don't see it, that Achilles is a bad injury to come back from. Playing a position that requires speed, change of direction, perhaps more than any other. I'm looking on this like we need 2 new corners. Dexter and Dee should be counted as zero.

I also like every player has to prove to the GM and HC, they picked none of these guys and have no loyalty to these guys.

Cute.

Now add 5 more surgeries to each guy.

Peterson was hurt in college wrecked his knee in the pros.  Manning had multiple neck operations.  Davis blew out his knee three times.  Cromartie has had hip problems in parts of two season.

Some players get hurt some don't some have an injury history in college and then are healthy in their pro career.  Unless a player has  chronic injury such as a back , past injuries are not often predictors of future injuries.  You don't right off talent which is young for no good reason just because you are mad the player got hurt.

After a player has some major injuries you prudently do not 100% rely on that guy but it's dumb to toss the guy for no real reason.  If as an evaluator you are going to not draft guys due to injury history you better be doing the same for character issues because those are often more of  a real predictor of unreliability.

Archived