bust = Dee Milliner

kmnj

There was a lot of talk about Milliner's injury history before the draft because injury histories frequently lead to injury futures. It's not just bad luck. Idzik opted to take on a risk when he drafted an injury prone player, and it's not paying off.

And yet he was projected to be a top ten player by experts. They weren't scared

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy a label of being injury prone, I just don't think there's any hard data to support it. The dangerous sport that they play seems to be the only consistent risk factor for their injuries, so unless you're assuming they have weaker bones or that their tendons/ligaments can sustain less shear stress than other players, it seems to boil down to the fact they play a very aggressive sport or possibly having a predisposing factor for injury ie. rushed back from an injury too soon etc.  Adrian Peterson had the injury-prone tag on him, then proceeded to have a number of health seasons in a row.  It's not because he magically stopped being injury-prone, it's because he just didn't get hit with enough force or direction to cause that injury...that is up until his ACL tear.  

I think if Dee can physically come back from this injury, there's absolutely no reason he can't have a healthy career. 

I don't buy a label of being injury prone, I just don't think there's any hard data to support it. The dangerous sport that they play seems to be the only consistent risk factor for their injuries, so unless you're assuming they have weaker bones or that their tendons/ligaments can sustain less shear stress than other players, it seems to boil down to the fact they play a very aggressive sport or possibly having a predisposing factor for injury ie. rushed back from an injury too soon etc. Adrian Peterson had the injury-prone tag on him, then proceeded to have a number of health seasons in a row. It's not because he magically stopped being injury-prone, it's because he just didn't get hit with enough force or direction to cause that injury...that is up until his ACL tear.

I think if Dee can physically come back from this injury, there's absolutely no reason he can't have a healthy career.

his leg fell off tho

I stand corrected. 

If I'm Bowels or Mac, I plan on Dee and Dex not contributing at all and adjust accordingly if it turns out that they can. Seems to be the line that they're taking. Would like to see them make a run at Maxwell.

I'd pretty much operate like you don't have a corner on the team.

And yet he was projected to be a top ten player by experts. They weren't scared

The so-called experts project top ten players who turn out to be busts on a consistent basis. They don't need to be scared, because their jobs aren't on the line.

I don't buy a label of being injury prone, I just don't think there's any hard data to support it. The dangerous sport that they play seems to be the only consistent risk factor for their injuries, so unless you're assuming they have weaker bones or that their tendons/ligaments can sustain less shear stress than other players, it seems to boil down to the fact they play a very aggressive sport or possibly having a predisposing factor for injury ie. rushed back from an injury too soon etc.  Adrian Peterson had the injury-prone tag on him, then proceeded to have a number of health seasons in a row.  It's not because he magically stopped being injury-prone, it's because he just didn't get hit with enough force or direction to cause that injury...that is up until his ACL tear.  

Five surgeries in college. Knee, tibia, sports hernia, and both shoulders before he ever got to the NFL. Calf and Achilles problems kept him out of mini camp work in his rookie year while he was still recovering from one of the shoulders. The guy is the very definition of made of glass.

How many players come back from an Achilles tear and have a healthy career? Vinny Testaverde was never the same after the same injury, and his job hardly relied on speed or change of direction.

The so-called experts project top ten players who turn out to be busts on a consistent basis. They don't need to be scared, because their jobs aren't on the line.

Five surgeries in college. Knee, tibia, sports hernia, and both shoulders before he ever got to the NFL. Calf and Achilles problems kept him out of mini camp work in his rookie year while he was still recovering from one of the shoulders. The guy is the very definition of made of glass.

How many players come back from an Achilles tear and have a healthy career? Vinny Testaverde was never the same after the same injury, and his job hardly relied on speed or change of direction.

When Anderson Silva and the UFC guys get treated/surgery for broken ribs, sprained ankles and elbows, noses, fingers, legs, arms and concussions, are they labeled injury-prone, or do we realize that it's just part of the risk that their profession carries?  Likewise, Dee plays a disgustingly brutal sport and has paid the price. He had all those surgeries, yet missed a couple of games in his college career.  Sure, he's injury prone, but no more than anyone else in the NFL. They all carry the same risk, adjusted across their respective positions.

I didn't say he wasn't going to have a healthy career, I said that if he physically came back from the injury he could have a healthy career.  Vinny was also 36 and a good athlete in 1999, not 23 and an elite one in 2015. Recovery will be a bit different for Dee. 

Peterson was hurt in college wrecked his knee in the pros.  Manning had multiple neck operations.  Davis blew out his knee three times.  Cromartie has had hip problems in parts of two season.

Some players get hurt some don't some have an injury history in college and then are healthy in their pro career.  Unless a player has  chronic injury such as a back , past injuries are not often predictors of future injuries.  You don't right off talent which is young for no good reason just because you are mad the player got hurt.

After a player has some major injuries you prudently do not 100% rely on that guy but it's dumb to toss the guy for no real reason.  If as an evaluator you are going to not draft guys due to injury history you better be doing the same for character issues because those are often more of  a real predictor of unreliability.

Dee Milliner has missed half his games as a pro. HALF. 

His track record suggests the Jets should look at their glass as half empty with him and consider as many options as possible at CB. 

And he also isn't very good to boot. 

This is the most predictable double down in the history of losing arguments.

Milliner was rated the first or second best CB coming out- so a lot of so called experts would have been wrong

same as the so called experts on Gholston ? Milliner is the Vernone Gholston of CB's all the physical talent in the world matched up with terrible technique

Stop acting like it is a death sentence.  Terrell Suggs, Demaryius Thomas, Kendall Hunter have all come back from achilles tears.  Leon Hall plays the same position, he tore one in 2011, came back to retake his starting job in 2012, then tore the other in 2013.  Last year he was starting and playing at a fairly high level.  

Stop acting like it is a death sentence.  Terrell Suggs, Demaryius Thomas, Kendall Hunter have all come back from achilles tears.  Leon Hall plays the same position, he tore one in 2011, came back to retake his starting job in 2012, then tore the other in 2013.  Last year he was starting and playing at a fairly high level.

Yeah, but none of those guys was pronounced clinically dead in college.

So when the draft happened who would you have drafted instead of Milliner ?

Tanny had us taking Cordarrelle Patterson - that would have been the best option after the Rams stole Tavon Austin 

I think I wanted Kenny Vaccaro  the S drafted by the Saints, played 14 games broke his ankle and has not been the same...

Any CB selected in 2013 was doomed with Revis comparisons after the trade, historically bad move

Archived