2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

Aaron told New York newspaper Newsday that he is rooting for Rodriguez to "come back and have a great year" with the New York Yankees

"I am rooting for him," Aaron told Newsday on Monday. "Despite all of the things that people say he had been involved in, I'm rooting for him to come back and have a great year. I am very much anxious to see what he's going to do."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Position players report today, but there’s no full-squad workout. I saw just about everyone who might grab your attention. Aaron Judge is still huge. Brett Gardner is still friendly. Among the people I didn’t see is Alex Rodriguez, who is presumably here but didn’t show up in the clubhouse while media were in the room.

• Today’s bullpen sessions:

Noon
Jacob Lindgren (to John Ryan Murphy)
Chris Martin (to Brian McCann)
Justin Wilson (to Austin Romine)

12:10
Branden Pinder (to Juan Graterol)
Luis Severiano (to Gary Sanchez)

• Batting practice groups:

Group 1
Francisco Arcia
Trent Garrison
Kyle Higashioka
Eddy Rodriguez
Gary Sanchez

Group 2
Brian McCann
John Ryan Murphy
Austin Romine
Carlos Beltran

Mark Teixeira: 'Feel like a kid again'
Updated: February 25, 2015, 12:51 PM ET
By Andrew Marchand | ESPNNewYork.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira is now gluten free, sugar free and dairy free, which he hopes will keep him injury free.

Teixeira's belief in his new diet and his renewed weightlifting program makes him believe that he can stay fully healthy for the first time since 2011. If he does, Teixeira thinks he can be a 30-home-run and 100-RBI player again.

[+] Enlargemlb_a_tex12_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Kathy WillensMark Teixeira played in 123 games last season, hitting .216 with 22 home runs and 66 RBIs. 

"I look at the last two years as hopefully more of a bump in the road," Teixiera said. "The way I feel now, I feel like a kid again. I feel like I did a few years ago when I was hitting 30-plus homers and driving in 100 RBIs, playing almost every single day.

"Thirty and 100 is kind of what I've always been and what I want to be. So if I can do that, then I know I'm helping the team out. That is the most important thing. I know if I can do that, then I know I'm helping the team out."

In 2013, wrist surgery limited Teixeira to 15 games. Last year, he played in 123 games, hitting .216 with 22 homers and 66 RBIs. He said the daily one-hour treatment made the season not "fun at all."

Two years removed from the surgery, he thinks his wrist should hold up. He last had a 30-and-100 season in 2011 when he hit 39 homers and drove in 111 runs in 156 games.

Teixeira, who turns 35 in April, hasn't played more than 123 games since that '11 season, but thinks that with his new diet he will cut down on the inflammation in his body. He said he will use the diet that consists of no bread and a lot of buffalo meat the rest of his playing career. He said he reconfigured his body, adding 13 pounds of muscle, while losing fat.

"I have to go all in," Teixeira said.

As for the shift that has reduced his batting average over the years, Teixeira said his only remedy is to hit more home runs, doubles and to walk more.

"We have talked about it ad nauseum," Teixeira said. "Every time I try to talk about it and slap the ball the other way, it just doesn't go well for anybody. That's exactly what the other team wants to take a middle of the order power hitter and turn him into a slap hitter."

Teixeira lockers next to Alex Rodriguez in spring training and the two have known each other since Teixeira was a rookie in Texas. Teixeira is looking forward to mentoring Rodriguez, who could possibly be the backup at first base, along with DHing and playing some third.

"It is funny I was a rookie when Alex was the best player in the world and he got to teach me some things," Teixeira said. "Now, I'm going to be able to teach him some things. Having a backup, a decent backup is important, because I know there were times last year when I was just out there for my defense."

“I was weaker than I’d probably ever been in my whole career last year just because of the injury the year before and not being able to work out like I usually do,” Teixeira said. “This was just a great offseason all around. … I probably lost two pounds; 15 pounds of fat I lost and gained 13 pounds of muscle, so I ended up losing about two pounds. Just shows how much deficit there was.” 

“I was weaker than I’d probably ever been in my whole career last year just because of the injury the year before and not being able to work out like I usually do,” Teixeira said. “This was just a great offseason all around. … I probably lost two pounds; 15 pounds of fat I lost and gained 13 pounds of muscle, so I ended up losing about two pounds. Just shows how much deficit there was.” 

I am very optimistic for Tex.  Wrist injuries like he had, 2 year recovery at best.  Like he said, not being able to lift for a year, and the diet will decrease overall inflammation, which will be good to.

• Carlos Beltran’s been going through a lot of drills for a few days now, and Joe Girardi has said he expects Beltran to be ready to play when the spring schedule starts next week. I know he’s coming off a brutal season and offseason surgery, but at this point Beltran certainly seems to be a healthy player. If he’s healthy, then this spring is all about finding out whether he can still hit. It’s pretty clear the Yankees are banking on the idea that he can.

Archived