2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“He threw great,” pitching coach Larry Rothschild said. “Everything is progressing the way we like, so we’ll just keep going. … No (restrictions). We’re just bringing him along at a pace that he’s more accustomed to. A little different schedule as far as not trying to put a lot of pitches on him in a three- or four-day period, but still get him built up and get the stamina built up. That’s pretty much what we’re doing.”

• Hideki Matsui is in Yankees camp today. He stopped by Tanaka’s locker this morning, and Tanaka sprang to his feet for a handshake and a brief conversation. “Not all the Yankee players, former Yankee players, come here and get to be in that position (as a spring instructor),” Tanaka said. “It says about how he was as a player, here as a Yankee. I have very much a lot of respect toward Hideki.”

• Speaking of guest instructors, Mariano Rivera said this morning that he hasn’t been throwing at all lately. Doesn’t even really play catch with his son, who’s been pitching really well at Iona. Asked, though, how many warmup pitches he would need before throwing a cutter that could get a hitter out, Rivera just laughed. “Every pitch,” he said. I honestly believe him.

I was happy the Yanks brought Drew back for 2nd base because I don't trust Refsnyder defensively just yet. That coupled with fellow 24 year old Didi to the right of him and it's just too much inexperience. With that said if Refs continues to hit like he did last year in the minors to start the season and progresses as a 2nd basemen I'm excited to bring him up and see what he can do. 

Masahiro Tanaka throws 40 pitches in bullpen session, Yankees ace thinks tear in elbow is fully healed 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Thursday, February 26, 2015, 11:59 AM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

SHARE THIS URL
yankees-spring-training.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSThe health of Masahiro Tanaka, in addition to Michael Pineda and CC Sabathia, has the Yankees toying with the idea of a six-man rotation when the schedule allows for it.

TAMPA — Masahiro Tanaka is getting his groove back.

The Yankees ace climbed a mound for the third time this spring, firing 40 pitches during a bullpen session at Steinbrenner Field.

"I think I was throwing with more force than the last bullpen," Tanaka said through a translator. "As far as hitting the spots, the location goes, I think it was better than the last bullpen as well."

Pitching coach Larry Rothschild was pleased with Tanaka's session, saying the righthander's progression early in camp is going "the way we like."

"I thought the ball came out of his hand very well," Rothschild said. "The arm speed was there; you could see he dialed it up today."

While most pitchers throw their side sessions every two or three days, Tanaka's bullpen came four days after his last one.

"We're just bringing him along at a pace that he's more accustomed to," Rothschild said. "A little different schedule as far as not trying to put a lot of pitches on him in a three- or four-day period, but still get him built up and get the stamina built up."

yankees-spring-training.jpgCOREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSPitching coach Larry Rothschild (l.) and Yankees manager Joe Girardi keep a watchful eye over Yankees pitcher Masahiro Tanaka during Thursday’s bullpen session.

Tanaka has said he believes the small tear in his ulnar collateral ligament is fully healed, though there's no medical evidence to suggest the small tear isn't still present in his elbow.

Having experienced the pain that accompanied a ligament tear last summer, Tanaka believes he will be able to distinguish between normal spring soreness and another major issue with his elbow.

The work he's been able to do suggests he's throwing with ease and isn't holding back to protect his $155 million arm.

"I feel that I'm on the right track," Tanaka said. "Going through the workouts and going through the bullpen today also, it does give me confidence that I'm moving in the right direction."

Rothschild reiterated that the Yankees would consider using a sixth starterduring the season when there are long stretches without many off-days, such as the 30 games in 31 days between April 17 and May 17. Rothschild also noted, "It's not just Masahiro," referring to lingering questions surrounding other starters including CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda.

"We've looked at schedules and scenarios and we'll continue to look at it as we go through spring, see how guys react," Rothschild said. "They'll probably pitch on the fifth and sixth day in spring, see how they react to that and give them the extra time. We'll see toward the end how we exactly want to do it.

“We can all look pretty tough and pretty good with BP,” Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t mean anything. Let’s see what happens when somebody is throwing 95.”

You will be about a 1/2 a second behind the pitch.

Not bashing AROD for the sake of it.  He couldn't hit a good fastball the last time he was playing.  His bat speed didn't improve sitting on his butt for 2 years.

You will be about a 1/2 a second behind the pitch.

Not bashing AROD for the sake of it.  He couldn't hit a good fastball the last time he was playing.  His bat speed didn't improve sitting on his butt for 2 years.

No argument here. These next few weeks are vital for A-Rod. 

The big story of the day was Masahiro Tanaka‘s third bullpen session of the spring. He threw 40 pitches with increased intensity and had no issues. “I was throwing with more force than the last bullpen. As far as hitting the spots, location, it was better than the last one as well,” he said. Larry Rothschild was pleased and Tanaka will throw again in a few days. [George King] 

Bryan Mitchell and Chase Whitley also threw bullpens while Adam Warren and Andrew Miller were the notables to throw live batting practice. There’s a very large group of pitchers scheduled to throw tomorrow, including CC Sabathia, Andrew Bailey, Chris Capuano, David Carpenter, Dellin Betances, Nathan Eovaldi, and Jacob Lindgren. [Chad Jennings]

Today was the first full squad workout and everything went without a hitch. All the position players took batting practice, the infielders took infield practice, the outfielders too outfield practice, etc. That includes Alex Rodriguez, who supposedly had the day’s most impressive batting practice session. [Jennings]

Brian Cashman confirmed that yes, A-Rod will be on the Opening Day roster. He also said his relationship with Alex is fine and he’s sick of talking about him. Cashman believes the situation has been addressed and the questions have been answered. [brendan Kuty, Ryan Hatch, Dan Barbarisi, Andrew Marchand] 

• Cashman made it clear that the Yankees have to find five starters before they start to figure out a sixth starter. “If we’re ever in a position to be fortunate enough to have six quality arms that can compete for a win on a daily basis in the rotation, then I think we’ll be in a position to implement that,” Cashman said. “But first things first.”

• Speaking of which, here’s Joe Girardi on Tanaka’s morning bullpen: “Very good. Forty pitches, threw all his pitches, arm strength looked really good. We’ll continue to move him along, we’ll get him ready for a game, I don’t know when we’ll get him in a game, but that was good.”

• Jacoby Ellsbury said he’s willing to hit anywhere in the order — he had to hit third last year — but Girardi wouldn’t give us any real indication about his plans for the lineup. “I think you have to see the makeup of our lineup, and who we decide is going to be in the lineup on a fairly regular, everyday basis,” Girardi said. “We’ve thrown around some ideas, but I think it’s too early to put an order together. The good thing is I’ve got 39 more days or something like that.”

• The Yankees had a lengthy team meeting before today’s workout. Teixeira said Rodriguez did not speak during the meeting. As far as I could tell, all interaction with Rodriguez was positive today. He stretched with Carlos Beltran, and took batting practice with Teixeira, Greg Bird and Jose Pirela. “Obviously, if he does well, it only helps the team,” Jacoby Ellsbury said. “From that standpoint, I think we all hope he has a good season.”

• First full-squad workout, and no Derek Jeter. First time that’s happened in two decades. “It was a little strange not seeing Derek out there today,” Girardi said. “We were doing the mass infield (drills), and he wasn’t there. It was kind of strange to me.”

Archived