Luis Severino (to Gary Sanchez)
Jacob Lindgren (to Austin Romine)
Branden Pinder (to Eddy Rodriguez)

Field 3
Facing Greg Bird, Cito Culver, Jose Pirela, Rob Refsnyder
Chris Capuano (to Francisco Arcia)
Scott Baker (to Kyle Higashioka)
David Carpenter (to Trent Garrison)
Dellin Betances (also to Trenton Garrison)

• Infield drills:

Field 1
Cole Figueroa, Jonathan Galvez, Nick Noonan, Rob Refsnyder, Alex Rodriguez, Kyle Roller, Mark Teixeira

Field 2
Greg Bird, Cito Culver, Stephen Drew, Didi Gregorius, Chase Headley, Garrett Jones, Jose Pirela

• Batting practice groups:

Group 1
Nick Noonan, Rob Refsnyder, Brian McCann, Eddy Rodriguez
Group 2
Cito Culver, Jose Pirela, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira
Group 3
Stephen Drew, Didi Gregorius, Chase Headley, Garrett Jones
Group 4
Greg Bird, Cole Figueroa, Jonathan Galvez, Kyle Roller
Group 5
Tyler Austin, Carlos Beltran, Jake Cave, Chris Young
Group 6
Ramon Flores, Brett Gardner, Aaron Judge, Jacoby Ellsbury
Group 7
Mason Williams, Slade Heathcott, John Ryan Murphy, Austin Romine
Group 8
Francisco Arcia, Trent Garrison, Kyle Higashioka, Gary Sanchez

Yankees infielder Brendan Ryan has been diagnosed with a mid-back strain, and he is expected to miss about five days of on-field activity.

Ryan sustained the injury while lifting weights before the start of Spring Training. He saw Dr. Daniel Murphy on Thursday in Tampa and underwent a precautionary MRI, which revealed the strain.

Ryan, who will turn 33 on March 26, played in 49 games for the Yankees last season, hitting .167/.211/.202 with no home runs. The slick-fielding veteran is expected to serve as a backup infielder again this year, playing behind newcomer Didi Gregorius at shortstop and Stephen Drew at second base. Over eight big league seasons for the St. Louis, Seattle and New York, Ryan has hit .234/.295/.314.

The Yankees' Grapefruit League schedule begins next Tuesday, when they take on the Phillies.

CC Sabathia threw a 41-pitch bullpen session and will wear a brace on his knee going forward. “There is a maintenance program that I am going through. I put the brace on and there is nothing out of the ordinary … I definitely like where I am at. I am not feeling pain and moving forward. I feel great,” he said. [George King] - 

In addition to Sabathia, Andrew Bailey, Esmil Rogers, and Ivan Nova all threw bullpens. Nathan Eovaldi, Luis Severino, Jacob Lindgren, Chris Capuano, David Carpenter, and Dellin Betances were among those to throw live batting practice. There was the usual full slate of batting practice, infield practice, and outfield practice for the position players as well. [Chad Jennings] 

Alex Rodriguez worked out at first base for the first time, though he didn’t do a whole lot. Fielded some grounders, took some throws, and covered the bag a few times. He has to learn positioning more than anything. Alex knows how to field a grounder and catch the ball. [Jennings]

• For whatever it’s worth, I was told today that Teixeira and Carlos Beltran have made a strong impression from the way they reported to camp. Apparently their early workouts have been impressive, and both are in great shape. Three other names singled out as having reported to camp in especially good shape: Austin Romine, Mason Williams and Cito Culver.

-Jennings

CC Sabathia threw a 41-pitch bullpen session and will wear a brace on his knee going forward. “There is a maintenance program that I am going through. I put the brace on and there is nothing out of the ordinary … I definitely like where I am at. I am not feeling pain and moving forward. I feel great,” he said. [George King] - 

So curious to see where he is at velocity wise.

TEAM GATOR

Gregorius — 0-1
Culver – 0-0 RBI, sac fly
Headley — 1-1, double, RBI
Figueroa — 0-1
Teixeira — 0-1, GIDP
Roller — 0-1
Rodriguez — 0-2
McCann — 0-2
Drew — 0-1
Refsnyder — 0-1
Murphy — 0-1, RBI, sac fly
Flores — 0-1 sac
Austin — 0-1
Williams — 0-1
Sanchez — 0-1

TEAM GOOSE

Ellsbury — 0-2, reached on an error
Heathcott — 1-1, single
Gardner — 1-2, double, RBI
Cave — 0-1
Young — 1-2, single, strikeout
Judge — 1-1, single, RBI
Jones — 0-3, GIDP
Romine — 0-2, RBI
Pirela — 0-3
Bird — 0-1
Rodriguez, E — 1-2 single, RBI
Arcia — 2-2, double, single, 2 RBI
Galvez — 2-3, double, single, 2 RBI
Noonan — 1-2, triple, RBI
Garrison — 1-2, single, RBI
Higashioka — 0-2, RBI

Intrasquad box score.

TEAM GATOR

Gregorius — 0-1

Culver – 0-0 RBI, sac fly

Headley — 1-1, double, RBI

Figueroa — 0-1

Teixeira — 0-1, GIDP

Roller — 0-1

Rodriguez — 0-2

McCann — 0-2

Drew — 0-1

Refsnyder — 0-1

Murphy — 0-1, RBI, sac fly

Flores — 0-1 sac

Austin — 0-1

Williams — 0-1

Sanchez — 0-1

TEAM GOOSE

Ellsbury — 0-2, reached on an error

Heathcott — 1-1, single

Gardner — 1-2, double, RBI

Cave — 0-1

Young — 1-2, single, strikeout

Judge — 1-1, single, RBI

Jones — 0-3, GIDP

Romine — 0-2, RBI

Pirela — 0-3

Bird — 0-1

Rodriguez, E — 1-2 single, RBI

Arcia — 2-2, double, single, 2 RBI

Galvez — 2-3, double, single, 2 RBI

Noonan — 1-2, triple, RBI

Garrison — 1-2, single, RBI

Higashioka — 0-2, RBI

Intrasquad box score.

Umm, so Team Gator got 1 hit off a pitching machine? We're doomed.  :sign0182:

Justin Wilson, Andrew Bailey, and David Carpenter all faced hitters in live batting practice while Ivan Nova, Michael Pineda, Esmil Rogers, Bryan Mitchell, and Chase Whitley all threw bullpen sessions. All the hitters who didn’t make the trip to Clearwater for the game against the Phillies worked out in Tampa. [Chad Jennings]

Nathan Eovaldi is starting tomorrow’s spring home opener and will be followed by Andrew Miller, Kyle Davies, and a bunch of minor league guys. Alex Rodriguez is scheduled to play and admitted he is “a little nervous, for sure” since it will be his first game in quite a while. [brendan Kuty, Dan Barbarisi]

Torrens was diagnosed with a torn right labrum and will have surgery tomorrow, the Yankees announced. He will miss the entire 2015 season. Dr. David Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York will perform the surgery. -RAB

Archived