2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

Lineup and starting pitcher for todays spring training home opener against the Phils:

Didi Gregorius SS

Alex Rodriguez DH

Brian McCann C

Mark Teixeira 1B

Chase Headley 3B

Stephen Drew 2B

Tyler Austin RF

Ramon Flores LF

Mason Williams CF

RHP Nathan Eovaldi

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Masahiro Tanaka’s elbow is firmly planted in “no news is good news” territory. And today there seems to be no news. As long as he’s throwing pretty typical bullpens and facing hitters with no issues, he’ll be moving in the right direction, so today’s bullpen seems to be one of those small, positive steps. Tanaka showed no signs of pain or discomfort.

Via Chad Jennings

Did you hear Chris Young struck out against the pitching machine? How embarrassing. ( 100% true story)

I heard that, and that is beyond awful.   Like, how is that even possible.

Swung and missed at first two pitches, third pitch base hit to left field. 

I thought you were still talking about Young.  I was trying to figure out how that was a strikeout.

• Pretty good first start for Nathan Eovaldi, who showed the velocity we’ve heard so much about — his fastball got into the upper 90s at times — and had some success with the developing split finger he’s been working on. Eovaldi allowed one run on two hits through two innings, and his one strike out came on a splitter. “I think I threw four or five splits today,” Eovaldi said. “Mixed in some first-pitch curveballs; tried to go up on (Ryan) Howard. Everything is good. I moved the ball inside, outside.”

• Elevating his fastball against Howard was another checklist item for Eovaldi, who said earlier this spring that he wanted to work on pitching up in the zone more often. His attempt today was too high, but Eovaldi said he sees the high fastball as a weapon to change eye levels and set up low strikes.

• Strong Yankees debut by Andrew Miller, who had a runner at third base but left him stranded thanks to a pair of strikeouts and a ground ball. “I’m really happy with the way I was throwing the ball,” Miller said. “I’m not too concerned with things right now. It could have been absolutely horrendous and there’s nothing to worry about. It’s just, going out there and getting it going. I’m happy with it in general. I felt my breaking ball was really good, so it’s always nice to come back and realize it’s still there after the offseason.”

• After another problem-free bullpen, Masahiro Tanaka said he feels ready to pitch in a game. “Gradually am able to build up so far,” he said. “Whenever they want me to go, I think I’m ready.” Tanaka said he’s talked to Larry Rothschild about when he will make his spring debut, but Tanaka didn’t want to divulge the date. Girardi said Tanaka will pitch a simulated game before getting in a real game.

In addition to Tanaka, Chris Capuano and Domingo German threw bullpen sessions. Jose DePaula threw a simulated game. Vicente Campos threw a 25-pitch all fastball bullpen yesterday as he works his way back from Tommy John surgery. [Jennings] 

Carlos Beltran will make his Spring Training debut in Friday’s game and will play right field. Brendan Ryan took the day off after feeling some soreness following yesterday’s workout. He’s on his way back from a mid-back sprain. [Dan Barbarisi, Jennings] 

YANKEES (0-1-1)

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Brett Gardner LF
Chris Young RF
Garrett Jones 1B
John Ryan Murphy C
Jose Pirela 3B
Kyle Roller DH
Rob Refsnyder 2B
Cito Culver SS

RHP Esmil Rogers (2-0, 5.72 in 2014)

PIRATES (1-1)
Jose Tabata LF
Gregory Polanco RF
Andrew McCutchen DH
Starling Marte CF
Andrew Lambo 1B
Jung Ho Kang SS
Chris Stewart C
Sean Rodriguez 2B
Justin Seller 3B

LHP Francisco Liriano (7-10, 3.38 in 2014)

Archived