Jets Combine Confirmed Interviews... some bizarre choices??

32EBoozer

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/players_to_visit_with_jets_at_2015_nfl_combine.html

The Jets get to interview 60 of the more than 300 players scheduled to participate in the combine. Here is a list of players confirmed for those interviews. It will be updated throughout the week as more names are added. Credit to NFL.com and to NFL Draft Scout for scotuing details on each player.

• Jameis Winston, Florida State, QB
Winston could be the top pick overall.

• Marcus Mariota, Oregon, QB
Mariota, like Winston, is the only quarterback projected to go in the first round. He could also be a trade chip.

• Kenny Bell, Nebraska, WR
The 6-foot-1, 197-pound Bell is a projected late-round pick. He also has an outstanding Afro.

• Devin Funchess, Michigan, WR
Funchess is big (6-4, 232) and can be dangerous after the catch, but drops are an issue. Projected first or second rounder.

• Keith Mumphrey, Michigan State, WR
Mumphrey is considered a hard worker, but he sometimes struggles to get open.

• Brandon Bridge, South Alabama, QB
The Ontario, Canada, native is a late-round prospect. He said he met with Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo on Wednesday night.

• Tre McBridge, William & Mary, WR
Has drawn comparisons to the Patriots' Brandon LaFell, but also said to lack acceleration.

• Brandon Scherff, Iowa, OL
A likely top 10 pick capable of playing inside and outside.

• Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M, OT
CBSSports.com's NFL Draft scout has a third-round grade on him.

• Michael Burton, Rutgers, FB
Per NFL.com, Burton lacks the size and blocking ability to be a full-time fullback, but he can catch passes and could have value as a special teamer.

INDIANAPOLIS ‐ The workout portions of the NFL Scouting Combine are important. But maybe even more valuable is what unfolds before and after.

That is when the measurements, medicals and interviews take place. That is when teams are really able to put the stamp of approval of what they already saw on tape.

For offensive linemen, their height, weight, arm and hand length are important. Teams like their tackles tall with long arms and their guards tall and big.

So who stands where in this year's group of linemen? Here's a look at some of the notables.

OL Brandon Scherff (Iowa)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 319

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 11

OT T.J. Clemmings (Pittsburgh)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 309 yards

Arms/Hands: 35 1/8 1/8, 10 3/8

OT Andrus Peat (Stanford)

Height/Weight: 6-7, 313

Arms/Hands: 34 3/8, 10 5/8

OT Ereck Flower (Miami)

Height/Weight: 6-6, 329

Arms/Hands: 34 1/2, 9 7/8

OT La'el Collins (LSU)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 305

Arms/Hands: 33 1/4, 10 3/8

OT Cedric Ogbuehi (Texas A&M)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 306

Arms/Hands: 35 7/8, 10

OT D.J. Humphries (Florida)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 307

Arms/Hands: 33 5/8, 10

MORE NFL COMBINE: Complete coverage from Indianapolis

G A.J. Cann (South Carolina)

Height/Weight: 6-3, 313

Arms/Hands: 32 5/8, 10 1/4

G Jamil Douglas (Arizona St.)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 304

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 10¾

OL Cameron Erving (Florida St.)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 313

Arms/Hands: 10 3/8

OG Laken Tomlinson (Duke)

Height/Weight: 6-3, 323

Arms/Hands: 33 5/8, 10 1/8

OG Ali Marpet (Hobart)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 307

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 10

INDIANAPOLIS ‐ The workout portions of the NFL Scouting Combine are important. But maybe even more valuable is what unfolds before and after.

That is when the measurements, medicals and interviews take place. That is when teams are really able to put the stamp of approval of what they already saw on tape.

For offensive linemen, their height, weight, arm and hand length are important. Teams like their tackles tall with long arms and their guards tall and big.

So who stands where in this year's group of linemen? Here's a look at some of the notables.

OL Brandon Scherff (Iowa)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 319

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 11

OT T.J. Clemmings (Pittsburgh)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 309 yards

Arms/Hands: 35 1/8 1/8, 10 3/8

OT Andrus Peat (Stanford)

Height/Weight: 6-7, 313

Arms/Hands: 34 3/8, 10 5/8

OT Ereck Flower (Miami)

Height/Weight: 6-6, 329

Arms/Hands: 34 1/2, 9 7/8

OT La'el Collins (LSU)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 305

Arms/Hands: 33 1/4, 10 3/8

OT Cedric Ogbuehi (Texas A&M)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 306

Arms/Hands: 35 7/8, 10

OT D.J. Humphries (Florida)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 307

Arms/Hands: 33 5/8, 10

MORE NFL COMBINE: Complete coverage from Indianapolis

G A.J. Cann (South Carolina)

Height/Weight: 6-3, 313

Arms/Hands: 32 5/8, 10 1/4

G Jamil Douglas (Arizona St.)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 304

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 10¾

OL Cameron Erving (Florida St.)

Height/Weight: 6-5, 313

Arms/Hands: 10 3/8

OG Laken Tomlinson (Duke)

Height/Weight: 6-3, 323

Arms/Hands: 33 5/8, 10 1/8

OG Ali Marpet (Hobart)

Height/Weight: 6-4, 307

Arms/Hands: 33 3/8, 10

Hand length, why is that important to the jets? they don't hold, only the pat' :winking0001: s line holds.

I don't see any bizarre choices on there. All offensive players. The only one out of place could be Burton, but since he's from Rutgers, it probably is just a token interview.

More that just a token interview. Kid is a very good football player. Would be a huge upgrade over Connor or Bohannon. Also, nice to see the new regime "discovered" Rutgers. Rex,Mr.T and Idzik sat by over the last few years and watched Rutgers send 18 guys to the NFL from a location 35 mins away from Florham Park.

Some more names to that list:

• Bud Dupree, Kentucky, OLB
One of the top edge rushers in the draft. Projected first rounder.

• Leon Orr, Florida, DT

Orr once left the team after being told he wouldn't start a game. Considered an athletic interior D-lineman who could go in the late rounds.

• Jamison Crowder, Duke, WR
Crowder clocked an (unofficial) time of 4.56 in the 40. Projected second rounder.

• Marcus Peters, Washington, CB

Projected first- or second-rounder who plays with physicality but was kicked off the team at Washington after frequently butting heads with coaches.

Brandon Bridge looked like a very interesting prospect.  I find it interesting that he's someone we're talking to....

long term prospect but has a rocket for an arm and a very quick release.  Would love to see him as a #3 QB on the roster and see what he can do after a couple of years of NFL coaching.

The knock on Brandon Bridge, is that he has no touch and  terrible footwork. Rocket arm strength but partly because of the bad footwork, his passes are all over the place, very inaccurate. The debate will be, can coaching change his footwork to correct his delivery and improve accuracy. While he does not have the whack delivery of Tebow, a lot of accuracy issues and percentage completions have not improved significantly for a lot of college qbs.

He is worth a shot in the sixth or seventh, but is a two or three year developmental project with no guarantees of success.

Do a youtube search on his game film for Southern Alabama against Missippi State. He is a great runner, very athletic but throws a whack ball.

Good on a long ball but ironically does not have a great touch on short passes.

The knock on Brandon Bridge, is that he has no touch and  terrible footwork. Rocket arm strength but partly because of the bad footwork, his passes are all over the place, very inaccurate. The debate will be, can coaching change his footwork to correct his delivery and improve accuracy. While he does not have the whack delivery of Tebow, a lot of accuracy issues and percentage completions have not improved significantly for a lot of college qbs.

He is worth a shot in the sixth or seventh, but is a two or three year developmental project with no guarantees of success.

Do a youtube search on his game film for Southern Alabama against Missippi State. He is a great runner, very athletic but throws a whack ball.

Good on a long ball but ironically does not have a great touch on short passes.

The knock isn't that he's got not touch and terrible footwork. The knock is that he's raw... he hasn't developed his footwork. He say it like omg this kid's got all these issues... That's what you're gonna get from a Ontario transfer who played at 2 small programs. I'd argue that all the things he's done to get where he is today, suggests HE WILL develop. He's had 100 reasons to walk away, or convert to WR like he was initially asked to... But he didn't. And worked his ass off. And here he is...

and yes, I love him. 

Brandon Bridge - QB - Jaguars

A scout speaking to CBS Sports said South Alabama senior QB Brandon Bridge "has some traits you cannot teach."

"He's as raw as he is talented," the AFC North scout said. "The ball shoots off his hand and he has some traits you cannot teach. I'm just not sure how naturally the game comes to him. How much better can he get? What is his football ceiling? I'm not sure. But he could end up being a bargain for a team that brings him along at his pace." CBS projects Bridge as a mid-to-late round draft pick, and ranks him as the No. 6 senior QB. "He has elite-level arm strength and release quickness with the ability to add velocity and extra RPM's on his throws with ease," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote. "Bridge isn't shy about testing tight windows and trusts his arm to make frozen rope throws and put the ball anywhere he wants on the field. He has mobility to keep the play alive when the pocket breaks down, shaking off arm tackles and stepping up with his eyes downfield." According to the analyst, Bridge must work on his mechanics and accuracy.

He needs to be developed. 2 years on the pine being coached up, and he may end up being a tour-de-force

I started a thread a while ago about him in our draft forum:

A lot of times these interviews are just a way to throw people off, you'll have a guy in that you won't pick regardless or not interview a player you want to pick no matter what just to fool other teams. These lists don't mean much. If they did everybody would pretty much admit what their draft board would look like.

The knock isn't that he's got not touch and terrible footwork. The knock is that he's raw... he hasn't developed his footwork. He say it like omg this kid's got all these issues... That's what you're gonna get from a Ontario transfer who played at 2 small programs. I'd argue that all the things he's done to get where he is today, suggests HE WILL develop. He's had 100 reasons to walk away, or convert to WR like he was initially asked to... But he didn't. And worked his ass off. And here he is...

and yes, I love him. 

He needs to be developed. 2 years on the pine being coached up, and he may end up being a tour-de-force

If we get lucky and the Eagles trade can happen (I don't think it will) having Foles and then drafting a kid like this late - as high as the 4th if you have belief he can develop.  Have Foles start for two years and then bring this kid in...

and yes, I love him. 

I think it's semantics what you are arguing..  I have watched film and I have read that he has terrible footwork and I have read that he has no touch, he can rocket it but has the Browning Nagle "soft touch". We both agree he is raw, so were a bunch of other talented small school qbs over the years, who never added up to anything more than just that "raw" ... "potential" howitzer arm"  He looks like a great running qb who is wildly inaccurate. Could he turn into Colin Kaepernick in three years ... yes, it's matematically possible.

Archived