NFL Combine Discussion

Morrissey

It's going to be a little roundabout, but this was the only way I could find tape on him possibly.  And this is from his Junior Season.  

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/aaron-murray/

It's the game tape of Aaron Murray, so have to watch all the throws and see where Conley fits in to find tape.  But I haven't found dedicated tapes or even a highlight compilation on Conley otherwise. 

Thanks.  The kid ran well and jumped out of the building on the vertical.  Just watched the LSU tape from 2013 that you posted.  He did get 7 targets on the tape.  Had a touchdown.  Made a nice catch in traffic on another ball..   I need to see more to get a better evaluation,  Thanks again

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Conley another combine freak at WO.  Very well spoken young man.  Not much tape out there.

He did very well today.  I dont know much about him as I did not watch enough of Georgia this year.  Does anyone have any tape on the kid.

Every draft needs a Stephen Hill.

Raiders love speed guys, maybe that 40 time locks White into 4th overall. 

al davis is dead. if he were alive I'd say yeah white for sure. they still might take amari cooper. if not I'd be happy if the jets take cooper

that said, I think I still prefer cooper anyway. there's a reason why the guy had so many wide open catches and white had more contested balls.....cooper is just better at losing defenders

My question is.  Would you spend a number 6 on a young Culpepper or Alex Smith?  Yea, your team probably significantly improves over Geno or Sanchez, but you don't quite get to the superbowl either and you have 10 more years of angst.

That's a fair point but what are the mathematical probabilities of being in perfect draft position to obtain a top ten talent ?

Yes some of those top ten qbs were drafted, mid round, second round and later but it's a long-odds gamble. The niners drafted Alex Smith and it did not stop drafting a qb when Kaepernick was available.

My take would be you take a Culpepper or an Alex Smith until something better developmentally presents itself. Does it slow the development of younger qbs on the roster ? Yes but they get to learn something. Otherwise you are forever waiting for an Andrew Luck or hoping to find a Tom Brady, in the discount bins of the later rounds

As of right now, this is the most likely scenario:

1. Bucs: Jameis Winston-- As long as he doesn't get arrested between now and the draft, it makes too much sense. Dude won the Combine, which was the final hurdle for him.

2. Titans: Leonard Williams-- Mariota could land here, but I'm not entirely sure that Whisenhunt wants to deal with another rookie. The Titans run defense was the most pitiful overall unit in the league last year.

3. Jaguars: Randy Gregory/Shane Ray--They're invested in Bortles, and Gus Bradley needs the pass rusher for his sh*tty defense. Jags floating that they'd want to trade out, but (assuming Fisher is serious about giving Bradford another chance), the next real QB-desperate team is Cleveland, who burned a first on Manziel last year and Farmer would be cutting his own throat doubling down, especially at the cost of his two firsts. Beyond that, it's Houston at 16. O'Brien is probably waiting on Hackenberg next year, though. After that, it's the Eagles and Chip Kelly. Can Bradley afford to drop all the way to 20? That team has to show improvement next year, they don't need Foles in any package, and the big edge rushers will all be off the board.

4. Raiders: Kevin White--Most natural fit ever.

5. Redskins: La'el Collins--If they're serious about giving RGIII another shot, maybe they copy the Cowboys model and just load up on OL? Either that or its best remaining edge rusher from Fowler/Ray/Gregory.

6. Jets: Marcus Mariota--If his arm was as putrid as I'd hoped today, the Jets would have the excuse they needed to pass on him, but everyone is reporting that it appeared ok enough. As much as I'd rather have Cooper or Fowler, I'd understand picking Mariota. The alternative is that the Jets are natural trade partners for the Eagles here. Maccagnan and Bowles have a solid 3-year honeymoon period coming to them, so dropping back to 20 in exchange for picks isn't an issue for them in the way that it'd be for Bradley and company in Jacksonville. Jets fans have zero expectation of winning in 2015, so Maccagnan could take a pass and reasonably survive. Even if Mariota works out in Philly, Chip Kelly is going to get all the credit, so it won't look like passing on Marino.

O'Connell who worked with Mariota in the  off season and is also the new qb coach with the Browns; Farmer and  Browns are showing an interest in drafting another qb after Johnny M's fabulous few games and rehab stint.

"Whitfield: Browns moving up for Mariota very real"

If the Browns called with the Jets on the clock would you take their two first round picks for our sixth ?  On the trade value chart it makes sense.

You could even get yourself two temporarily-combine-humbled  but fabulously talented malcontents.

Dorial Beckham Green with the 12th pick and then the angry Marcus Peters with the nineteenth pick.

It's time this team started drafting some bad boys, all this drafting of high-character stuff is only good to get you a high pick in next year's draft.

Winston has been the best player in the draft since last year, Mariota's a fad who needs a year or two of seasoning.  Scherff might not even be a top three tackle, dude is a guard. 

It'd be nice to have Winstonn or Mariota fall to us, but Shane Ray/Fowler, Kevin White or Amari Cooper are the types of talent the Jets need to start turning things around. Cooper reminds me of Watkins last year: heck of a player, might be the first WR off the board, but won't be the best in his class.  

THIS.  I think White, Parker, Strong and DGB could all be better (or just as good) when the smoke clears.... 

After watching the combine I'm just happy that the Jets will have some awesome choices @ 6.

Anyone who thinks Kelly doesn't want to get Mariota is DREAMING.

Mariota falls to Jets I could envision both Eagles & Browns inquiring. Wildcard is the Redskins. They could use extra picks so I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade up to their spot to grab Mariota.

It's still good!

Jets will get a stud at 6 if they make the pick. It really is a sweet spot with 2 QBs at the top.

The big Dtackle Leonard will go, that's 3 players right there. Hopefully a team takes Scherff before us dropping another guy down.

That would leave the Jets with so many good players staring them in the face.

Amazing how bad the Gholston draft was.

Yankees, Blue Jays and Jets?  I'm guessing you're from Canada (and started a TOR fan) but moved to NY so adopted the Yankees.

That's a Toronto Maple Leafs logo (hockey), not Blue Jays. Didn't follow baseball before I started playing after I moved to the US. And Toronto was a 10 year pit stop between Belfast and NY

I was surprised he was only 6'1 though, but I was also surprised to learn Dez Bryant was only 6'2.

I stood next to Dez Bryant  on the field before a game a few years ago. He looks like a giant. Every time I hear someone say how tall he is I think they are lying.

The NFL combine is the worst event since the Holocaust. It's amazing how much stock people put into this garbage, like it means anything. Has there EVER been ONE guy that NOBODY knew about, who used the combine to get major attention and then ended up being drafted VERY high and went on to become a stud in the NFL? I dare you to find me one, better yet a couple of guys. I can't think of any. The only guys I can think of are players that used the combine to bring attention to them, they then get drafted real high and absolutely suck at the next level, they turn out to be major busts. See Matt Jones. Perfect example. And the real studs (Fitz, Suggs, Boldin etc.) get pushed down.

Parcells figured this out a long time ago, he found that out the hard way. He started out taking this combine crap real serious. He ended up drafting the worst players, they were all busts for the most part. Then he told everybody that the draft board is SET before the combine begins and won't be touched again until the draft begins. The only way you move up a player up/down is if he's injured (or got healthy) and similar things (arrests etc.). And it worked out for Parcells. I don't know why they still hold his combine sh*t. If you want to know how fast somebody is go watch him play! Him running 40 yards, in a certain way, without pads on, using the right technique, breathing technique, training for this specific drill etc. is not going to tell you ANYTHING about what he does on the field. It's so pointless. I would love for Bowles and Macc to just skip this horse sh*t event and focus on studying extra college tape instead.

O'Connell who worked with Mariota in the off season and is also the new qb coach with the Browns; Farmer and Browns are showing an interest in drafting another qb after Johnny M's fabulous few games and rehab stint.

"Whitfield: Browns moving up for Mariota very real"

If the Browns called with the Jets on the clock would you take their two first round picks for our sixth ? On the trade value chart it makes sense.

You could even get yourself two temporarily-combine-humbled but fabulously talented malcontents.

Dorial Beckham Green with the 12th pick and then the angry Marcus Peters with the nineteenth pick.

It's time this team started drafting some bad boys, all this drafting of high-character stuff is only good to get you a high pick in next year's draft.

No I don't think So. The trade is with the Eagles and includes foles or we use the pick. That's my opinion anyway

Doesn't Tennessee have terrible O line problems?

Yeah, Roos was dinged up a lot last year and is now a FA,  Levirtre's signing did not work out, I don't know if it is the scheme or did he just quit trying once he got paid. And Tyler Lewan had a rough start and they just cut Oher.

That whole line needs work, If someone want Marriota, he could be in play here as Tenn is a team that needs help at a lot of spots.

As of right now, this is the most likely scenario:

1. Bucs: Jameis Winston-- As long as he doesn't get arrested between now and the draft, it makes too much sense. Dude won the Combine, which was the final hurdle for him.

2. Titans: Leonard Williams-- Mariota could land here, but I'm not entirely sure that Whisenhunt wants to deal with another rookie. The Titans run defense was the most pitiful overall unit in the league last year.

3. Jaguars: Randy Gregory/Shane Ray--They're invested in Bortles, and Gus Bradley needs the pass rusher for his sh*tty defense. Jags floating that they'd want to trade out, but (assuming Fisher is serious about giving Bradford another chance), the next real QB-desperate team is Cleveland, who burned a first on Manziel last year and Farmer would be cutting his own throat doubling down, especially at the cost of his two firsts. Beyond that, it's Houston at 16. O'Brien is probably waiting on Hackenberg next year, though. After that, it's the Eagles and Chip Kelly. Can Bradley afford to drop all the way to 20? That team has to show improvement next year, they don't need Foles in any package, and the big edge rushers will all be off the board.

4. Raiders: Kevin White--Most natural fit ever.

5. Redskins: La'el Collins--If they're serious about giving RGIII another shot, maybe they copy the Cowboys model and just load up on OL? Either that or its best remaining edge rusher from Fowler/Ray/Gregory.

6. Jets: Marcus Mariota--If his arm was as putrid as I'd hoped today, the Jets would have the excuse they needed to pass on him, but everyone is reporting that it appeared ok enough. As much as I'd rather have Cooper or Fowler, I'd understand picking Mariota. The alternative is that the Jets are natural trade partners for the Eagles here. Maccagnan and Bowles have a solid 3-year honeymoon period coming to them, so dropping back to 20 in exchange for picks isn't an issue for them in the way that it'd be for Bradley and company in Jacksonville. Jets fans have zero expectation of winning in 2015, so Maccagnan could take a pass and reasonably survive. Even if Mariota works out in Philly, Chip Kelly is going to get all the credit, so it won't look like passing on Marino.

I can't see Gregory in the top 1/4 of the draft. The kid looks like too light to seal an edge.  It appears that you think that no teams are willing to trade up in the top 5.

Nah Conley is pretty polished as a receiver. He always jumped out when I watched Georgia games...and it wasnt just because he wore 31 as a receiver. He can play.

Agreed, Conley comes from a pro set and not a triple option which leaves the wr wide open if the D misses a read.  Hill had less than 50 catches in four years at tech, While Conley had that many as a junior.

Mariotta reminds me of Alex Smith.  I suspect you are looking at a similar career path too.  He won't be good for awhile, but then will turn into a decent but not quite elite qb b/c he has such great intangibles.

His arm and accuracy looked better than what he showed in college.  Its ok.

Winston reminds me of a slow Daunte Culpepper.  Effortless throws with some mechanics problems but just a lot of talent.  The ints come b/c of how easy it is for them and they;ll force it.  

I don't think hes going to be a complete bust, but he will lose a lot of games for teams but with the right wr can put up big yards.

I dont think teams should spend top ten picks on qbs that aren't going to be a top ten qb in this league.  Too much wasted time.  None of the qbs this year are that player.  Trade down or pick one of those awesome wrs.

Good comparisons, I think Winston will be better than Culpepper though. He'll be a fringe top 10 guy.

The NFL combine is the worst event since the Holocaust. It's amazing how much stock people put into this garbage, like it means anything. Has there EVER been ONE guy that NOBODY knew about, who used the combine to get major attention and then ended up being drafted VERY high and went on to become a stud in the NFL? I dare you to find me one, better yet a couple of guys. I can't think of any. The only guys I can think of are players that used the combine to bring attention to them, they then get drafted real high and absolutely suck at the next level, they turn out to be major busts. See Matt Jones. Perfect example. And the real studs (Fitz, Suggs, Boldin etc.) get pushed down.

Parcells figured this out a long time ago, he found that out the hard way. He started out taking this combine crap real serious. He ended up drafting the worst players, they were all busts for the most part. Then he told everybody that the draft board is SET before the combine begins and won't be touched again until the draft begins. The only way you move up a player up/down is if he's injured (or got healthy) and similar things (arrests etc.). And it worked out for Parcells. I don't know why they still hold his combine sh*t. If you want to know how fast somebody is go watch him play! Him running 40 yards, in a certain way, without pads on, using the right technique, breathing technique, training for this specific drill etc. is not going to tell you ANYTHING about what he does on the field. It's so pointless. I would love for Bowles and Macc to just skip this horse sh*t event and focus on studying extra college tape instead.

Why the hell would there be anyone that nobody heard about at the combine?  or are we talking about average fans?  And the purpose of the combine is not to find undiscovered stars.  We all know what the guys in the nfl can do physically (or at least at the same point in their careers) We know what they can do on the field. We don't know how these kids match up against the existing nfl players physically, we know that they are superior to the players they are now playing against, who next year may be doing something far different from playing football.

Just because a  guy can blow past, or juke college players does not translate to an ability to do it as a pro, however the combine shows the athletic ability results so that you can compare that to the guys who have like athletic ability already playing in the nfl.  For example cornerbacks can be highly productive in college running 4.6 as most of the guys they are covering are slower and the qb's throwing the ball are less skilled. To fans watching on TV all we see is a CB blanketing a wr or duping a qb into making a bad read. What a great corner we think.

Very few top guys get pushed down due to combine showings and become all pros either. Are we talking about one a year. About the same number as a guy who was thought to be a late 2nd early third, went in the first and became an all pro.

And when Parcells made that comment about the combine, the whole preparing for the draft was changing. 20 years ago, invitees were staying in school, and working out with their college coaches, who were paying more attention to the kids playing for them next year and not graduating. But then some smart agents started to hire trainers and prepped their kids in combine drill performance.  Coaches did not recognize this change and a lot of bad decisions were made. Now, any agent who has a player they think will be taken in the first 150 picks, pays for these kids to go to these training facilities and the coaches/scouts now make allowances for kids that id not attend. .   

What are you a 10 year old!!!1

You're honestly pissed somebody is laughing at you for "ranking" Amari Cooper #31??? I love the fact that you have your own opinion but you can't fault people for that reaction. I thought the same thing. The beauty is maybe you're right. Someday we'll see. 

Why the hell would there be anyone that nobody heard about at the combine?  or are we talking about average fans?  And the purpose of the combine is not to find undiscovered stars.  We all know what the guys in the nfl can do physically (or at least at the same point in their careers) We know what they can do on the field. We don't know how these kids match up against the existing nfl players physically, we know that they are superior to the players they are now playing against, who next year may be doing something far different from playing football.

Just because a  guy can blow past, or juke college players does not translate to an ability to do it as a pro, however the combine shows the athletic ability results so that you can compare that to the guys who have like athletic ability already playing in the nfl.  For example cornerbacks can be highly productive in college running 4.6 as most of the guys they are covering are slower and the qb's throwing the ball are less skilled. To fans watching on TV all we see is a CB blanketing a wr or duping a qb into making a bad read. What a great corner we think.

Very few top guys get pushed down due to combine showings and become all pros either. Are we talking about one a year. About the same number as a guy who was thought to be a late 2nd early third, went in the first and became an all pro.

And when Parcells made that comment about the combine, the whole preparing for the draft was changing. 20 years ago, invitees were staying in school, and working out with their college coaches, who were paying more attention to the kids playing for them next year and not graduating. But then some smart agents started to hire trainers and prepped their kids in combine drill performance.  Coaches did not recognize this change and a lot of bad decisions were made. Now, any agent who has a player they think will be taken in the first 150 picks, pays for these kids to go to these training facilities and the coaches/scouts now make allowances for kids that id not attend. .   

I pretty much disagree with anything you just said because it either makes no sense or has absolutely nothing to do with what I brought up.

I can't see Gregory in the top 1/4 of the draft. The kid looks like too light to seal an edge.  It appears that you think that no teams are willing to trade up in the top 5.

I agree I hope we don't take Gregory he has been compared to Dion Jordan, no thanks I could see him being the next Vernon G.

Fowler pretty much killed today (4.61/1.57). Gregory and Beasley ran well, too.

Fowler killed it, also seems like a kid who just loves to have fun and play football.  I was shocked at how light Gregory was and I'm kind of shying away from him after hearing he dipped as low as 218 a few months ago.  I guess it depends on what Bowles looks for in his OLB, because Gregory and Ray would not have the frame for Rex's 34, maybe Bowles is different, I don't know enough about it to really know.  All I know is that if you think one of them is Von Miller, you figure out a way to make him fit in.

Archived