NFL Combine Discussion

Morrissey

As of right now, this is the most likely scenario:

1. Bucs: Jameis Winston-- As long as he doesn't get arrested between now and the draft, it makes too much sense. Dude won the Combine, which was the final hurdle for him.

2. Titans: Leonard Williams-- Mariota could land here, but I'm not entirely sure that Whisenhunt wants to deal with another rookie. The Titans run defense was the most pitiful overall unit in the league last year.

3. Jaguars: Randy Gregory/Shane Ray--They're invested in Bortles, and Gus Bradley needs the pass rusher for his sh*tty defense. Jags floating that they'd want to trade out, but (assuming Fisher is serious about giving Bradford another chance), the next real QB-desperate team is Cleveland, who burned a first on Manziel last year and Farmer would be cutting his own throat doubling down, especially at the cost of his two firsts. Beyond that, it's Houston at 16. O'Brien is probably waiting on Hackenberg next year, though. After that, it's the Eagles and Chip Kelly. Can Bradley afford to drop all the way to 20? That team has to show improvement next year, they don't need Foles in any package, and the big edge rushers will all be off the board.

4. Raiders: Kevin White--Most natural fit ever.

5. Redskins: La'el Collins--If they're serious about giving RGIII another shot, maybe they copy the Cowboys model and just load up on OL? Either that or its best remaining edge rusher from Fowler/Ray/Gregory.

6. Jets: Marcus Mariota--If his arm was as putrid as I'd hoped today, the Jets would have the excuse they needed to pass on him, but everyone is reporting that it appeared ok enough. As much as I'd rather have Cooper or Fowler, I'd understand picking Mariota. The alternative is that the Jets are natural trade partners for the Eagles here. Maccagnan and Bowles have a solid 3-year honeymoon period coming to them, so dropping back to 20 in exchange for picks isn't an issue for them in the way that it'd be for Bradley and company in Jacksonville. Jets fans have zero expectation of winning in 2015, so Maccagnan could take a pass and reasonably survive. Even if Mariota works out in Philly, Chip Kelly is going to get all the credit, so it won't look like passing on Marino.

if it breaks this way I have to imagine most fans wanting a trade back and getting foles +. Dream for me would be foles + DGB haul in first round

fair point about perception of Mariotta having success in Philly, but I don't see that stopping the jets getting trashed if he's good

Also re: Oakland wasnt the speed obsession Al Davis?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would of never drafted Milner since the guy never stays on the field. I wanted and stated I wanted Desmond Trufant but wanted to move down a little and get him and pick up a draft pick. So what does this same GM do the next year but draft Mcdougle who also was injured in college and again doesn't see the field. Is this GM still here?

Uhh . No.

The right move in this draft is to trade down, and possibly out of this draft class.  Do the BB value trades where he trades a 3rd rounder for a 2nd rounder the following year.

This draft has decent depth, so we can get some players in the latter first and 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Some 3rd down speed rushers, some olb replacements, some OL and wrs.

No we won't have our qb, but theres always next year and who knows what can be accomplished with trades/FA

All my late round sleepers showed up so far, David Johnson, MyCole Pruitt, Wes Saxton... I thought Dezmin Lewis would run faster. 

Hopefully my prediction of TEN taking Mariota gets some heat, that would put us out of firing range to have to make that decision. The way this group looked, I think we can get Hardy/DGB later and take Shane Ray with the first. I hope we don't get baited into taking White. I'm counting the raiders to do their thing.

1st - Ray/Parker

2nd - DGB/Hardy

3rd - D Johnson

4th - T. Jones.

One can dream..

There's just to many good prospects at CB and ILB that may fall in the early 2nd to pick to go the route of drafting a WR.

There's just to many good prospects at CB and ILB that may fall in the early 2nd to pick to go the route of drafting a WR.

FA is the place to address our secondary. We already have a litany of young unproven guys, we need some veteran leadership back there. No way am I ok with a corner in the second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my late round sleepers showed up so far, David Johnson, MyCole Pruitt, Wes Saxton... I thought Dezmin Lewis would run faster. 

Hopefully my prediction of TEN taking Mariota gets some heat, that would put us out of firing range to have to make that decision. The way this group looked, I think we can get Hardy/DGB later and take Shane Ray with the first. I hope we don't get baited into taking White. I'm counting the raiders to do their thing.

1st - Ray/Parker

2nd - DGB/Hardy

3rd - D Johnson

4th - T. Jones.

One can dream..

I'm biased, but I'd love that. Hardy has the best hands in the draft, DGB is a freak athlete. Hardys hands were on display today...you see the sideline catch during the QB drills? Every game occurrence at ECU (seriously, dude just catches the ball)

This line of thought is just silly. Those two WRs are just as good of value as anyone else that could fall. It wouldn't be reaching for a position of need.

Him and Sammie Coates are absolutely rocked up.  I'm hoping for a Mariota and Coates tandem.

Has to love Coates watching him today, but the knock Mayock (I think?) had on him was how often he wasn't framing the ball. Basically missing catches badly...somewhat concerning, especially after dealing with the likes of Hill the past few years.

Has to love Coates watching him today, but the knock Mayock (I think?) had on him was how often he wasn't framing the ball. Basically missing catches badly...somewhat concerning, especially after dealing with the likes of Hill the past few years.

He's had concentration issues for dropping the easy ones for a while, but will often make the ridiculous catches look easy.  If he had hands like ODB he'd be a top 10 pick, this is and routes are why he's more of a second.  Gonna be another great class of receivers though.

He's had concentration issues for dropping the easy ones for a while, but will often make the ridiculous catches look easy.  If he had hands like ODB he'd be a top 10 pick, this is and routes are why he's more of a second.  Gonna be another great class of receivers though.

Agreed. I didn't see much of him in college (saw the Iron Bowl, that's it really) so I was just going off what I heard today. Dude is absolutely jacked.

I'm biased, but I'd love that. Hardy has the best hands in the draft, DGB is a freak athlete. Hardys hands were on display today...you see the sideline catch during the QB drills? Every game occurrence at ECU (seriously, dude just catches the ball)

This line of thought is just silly. Those two WRs are just as good of value as anyone else that could fall. It wouldn't be reaching for a position of need.

I'm full on hard for Hardy. Never wavered on the love for that guy. I personally think 5 years from now he'll out perform everyone in this group not named parker and DGB (if he doesn't self-destruct). Strong and Agholor have also flown under the radar someone in the wake of the Kevin White epidemic.

The thing that bothers me the most about Hardy, is that ppl keep trying to peg him as a slot WR. He makes plays all over the field. It reminds me of when I was banging the table for Antonio Brown years ago when all I read about him was a ST/possession guy.

My question is.  Would you spend a number 6 on a young Culpepper or Alex Smith?  Yea, your team probably significantly improves over Geno or Sanchez, but you don't quite get to the superbowl either and you have 10 more years of angst.

Both of these guys coming out to the draft are better than Culpepper and Alex Smith when they came out.

FA is the place to address our secondary. We already have a litany of young unproven guys, we need some veteran leadership back there. No way am I ok with a corner in the second.

I'm not just targeting a specific position but particular prospects that can be there and this draft is loaded of guys who fit our scheme at CB. In FA market I don't really see good value/fit. As for most of the CB on our team, they don't fit what we do as well. Therefore I hope to solve that problem through the draft.

I'm full on hard for Hardy. Never wavered on the love for that guy. I personally think 5 years from now he'll out perform everyone in this group not named parker and DGB (if he doesn't self-destruct). Strong and Agholor have also flown under the radar someone in the wake of the Kevin White epidemic.

The thing that bothers me the most about Hardy, is that ppl keep trying to peg him as a slot WR. He makes plays all over the field. It reminds me of when I was banging the table for Antonio Brown years ago when all I read about him was a ST/possession guy.

Absolutely!

Look, he's not a burner. Today confirmed that, but everyone watching him has already known that haha. Like Mayock said, he's "more quick than fast" which sounds like a nice way of calling him slow, but it more refers to his game speed. Straight line speed means nothing if all you can do is run straight (cough cough Stephen Hill).

Add in the intangibles -- first in, last out, the chip on his shoulder, no fear to go over the middle and get hit, pulls down balls in the end zone and on the sidelines.

I said this in the draft forum, but as much as I love Shane Carden he's not a great QB. Hardy (and Cam Worthy as well) in a stat padding system made him look reaaaaal good at times for 3 years. Hardy is a gem.

Glad there's someone who agrees, makes me feel (slightly) less like a homer :P

I'm not just targeting a specific position but particular prospects that can be there and this draft is loaded of guys who fit our scheme at CB. In FA market I don't really see good value/fit. As for most of the CB on our team, they don't fit what we do as well. Therefore I hope to solve that problem through the draft.

There's a few mid round guys who are worth peeking at, but no corner is going to offer the impact of those two WRs at the top of the second.

That is if McKenzie the Raiders GM didn't sleep through his performance.

To be correct that was his twin brother Raleigh , and not the general manager that was asleep. After He saw Kevin White run and do the various drills , why bother watching the rest when you know who will be the pick.

The CB and ILB is nothing to be reaching for as there's more 2nd round studs at the position the WR. We need CB that can lookup in press coverage. Guys like Kevin Johnson, P.J. Williams and Marcus Peters have a chance to be great. ILB Stephone Anthony or Denzel Perryman have a chance of falling as well.

Yea I thought he was going to be faster too, he definitely plays faster than he ran today though.

His times may drop him into the 3rd or 4th round.  He ran mostly go routes at OSU,  I want to see the rest of the route tree.  He could be a steal.  I believe he plays faster in pads also.

To be correct that was his twin brother Raleigh , and not the general manager that was asleep. After He saw Kevin White run and do the various drills , why bother watching the rest when you know who will be the pick.

Sure thing, you can't come running to defend them fast enough, eh?

There's a few mid round guys who are worth peeking at, but no corner is going to offer the impact of those two WRs at the top of the second.

As I posted above, those are some great press coverage CBs. Hardy is nothing really to go crzy about, Beckham couldl be had later in the draft however if teams look past his character concerns them most likely they have him listed in the 1st round. I don't see it being a middle ground.

this is the way the jets need to do it. we have some holes and we have a sh*t ton of cap space. we sign iupati, sign a receiver, sign a couple cb's and a free safety, we sign spiller. we draft bpa, not for need. if mariota falls to 6 and philly is willing we take foles and their 1st and their 2nd/3rd round pick. if the qb's are gone we take whichever receiver the raiders didn't take between cooper and white and then we try to get glennon or foles if philly traded up ahead of us.

the jets aren't signing Iupati in Fa, as he isn't a good fit for their blocking Scheme. James Carpenter is the type of Olineman you can expect the Jets to go after.( better fit)

As of right now, this is the most likely scenario:

1. Bucs: Jameis Winston-- As long as he doesn't get arrested between now and the draft, it makes too much sense. Dude won the Combine, which was the final hurdle for him.

2. Titans: Leonard Williams-- Mariota could land here, but I'm not entirely sure that Whisenhunt wants to deal with another rookie. The Titans run defense was the most pitiful overall unit in the league last year.

3. Jaguars: Randy Gregory/Shane Ray--They're invested in Bortles, and Gus Bradley needs the pass rusher for his sh*tty defense. Jags floating that they'd want to trade out, but (assuming Fisher is serious about giving Bradford another chance), the next real QB-desperate team is Cleveland, who burned a first on Manziel last year and Farmer would be cutting his own throat doubling down, especially at the cost of his two firsts. Beyond that, it's Houston at 16. O'Brien is probably waiting on Hackenberg next year, though. After that, it's the Eagles and Chip Kelly. Can Bradley afford to drop all the way to 20? That team has to show improvement next year, they don't need Foles in any package, and the big edge rushers will all be off the board.

4. Raiders: Kevin White--Most natural fit ever.

5. Redskins: La'el Collins--If they're serious about giving RGIII another shot, maybe they copy the Cowboys model and just load up on OL? Either that or its best remaining edge rusher from Fowler/Ray/Gregory.

6. Jets: Marcus Mariota--If his arm was as putrid as I'd hoped today, the Jets would have the excuse they needed to pass on him, but everyone is reporting that it appeared ok enough. As much as I'd rather have Cooper or Fowler, I'd understand picking Mariota. The alternative is that the Jets are natural trade partners for the Eagles here. Maccagnan and Bowles have a solid 3-year honeymoon period coming to them, so dropping back to 20 in exchange for picks isn't an issue for them in the way that it'd be for Bradley and company in Jacksonville. Jets fans have zero expectation of winning in 2015, so Maccagnan could take a pass and reasonably survive. Even if Mariota works out in Philly, Chip Kelly is going to get all the credit, so it won't look like passing on Marino.

Excellent and thanks TS.

Chris Conley another combine freak at WO.  Very well spoken young man.  Not much tape out there.

He did very well today.  I dont know much about him as I did not watch enough of Georgia this year.  Does anyone have any tape on the kid.

It's going to be a little roundabout, but this was the only way I could find tape on him possibly.  And this is from his Junior Season.  

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/aaron-murray/

It's the game tape of Aaron Murray, so have to watch all the throws and see where Conley fits in to find tape.  But I haven't found dedicated tapes or even a highlight compilation on Conley otherwise. 

Don't need RB in 2nd. Need a Cornerback at 2. Even if getting Cromartie still need another cornerback. Milner will get hurt again.

When I said "use FA to build defense where it's weak" I didn't mean "sign Cromartie and call it a day". I meant go out and pay 2 starting corners, because both corner spots are weak. I'd be okay with a CB in round 2, but would much prefer a stud like Gurley if he's there. With Ivory and perhaps Spiller or Powell on the roster, we can ease Gurley back off his injury and eventually he'll be an absolute beast for us.

Otherwise, you wait until the 3rd for RB, which is why I said 2nd or 3rd.

Archived