NFL Combine Discussion

Morrissey

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even know what to make of these pass rushers right now. I just watched a dude run a breakdown of why Fowler profiles exactly like Gholston

The  Player in this draft that is the best representation of Vernon Gholston is Danielle Hunter. If you look at this kid, he's what you want your OLBer to be. If you watch his tape, you keep asking where is he.  

I don't even know what to make of these pass rushers right now. I just watched a dude run a breakdown of why Fowler profiles exactly like Gholston

3 cone, jumps and the short shuttle are the most predictive of success to me. Your never running 40 straight yards, and you can always get into a weight room.  RUN from a guy that looks good in shorts, runs a fast forty but has slow hips. 

Random Thoughts. 

In regards to the combine in general - The more I see these WR's I feel like this class is just as good as last year at-least when you compare the top 8-10 guys. Perhaps the best value will be in the late first round. Its a great draft to trade down if you want a WR. 

Marcus Mariota is simply an Elite Athlete. One of my favorite players to watch is Julian Edelman. Explosion, Hip movement and Change of direction ability are the most important factors in the NFl. Check his comparison to Mariota. Note Mariota may come up a-little slower but he's 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. 

Julian Edelman is 5'10,  195 pounds, 4.52 Forty yard dash,  20 yard shuttle of 3.92, and a 3 cone of 6.62. Broad 10, Vert 36. 

Marcus Mariota is 6'4, 222 pounds, 4.52 Forty yard dash, Broad 10,  Vert 36, 3 cone of 6.87, and short shuttle of 4.11. 

Mariotas throwing motion is sweet. Hes simply an Elite athlete in general with tremendous upside. I think people like to make comparisons to Alex Smith and Colin Kapernick which leave such a terrible taste in your mouth but comparisons are crap. Hes such a unique player. I look at the rest of the guys that may be available at our pick and non have that upside, non are Elite. Amari Cooper is not an Elite prospect at WR. Fowler is not. Gregory could easily be Aaron Maybin, or Dion Jordan. Schafer is a guard. 

You just can't pass on a QB with that much upside for non elite players. Chip Kelly - The best offensive mind in football wants this guy.  If he's there - it should be a no brainer. 

Thanks.  The kid ran well and jumped out of the building on the vertical.  Just watched the LSU tape from 2013 that you posted.  He did get 7 targets on the tape.  Had a touchdown.  Made a nice catch in traffic on another ball..   I need to see more to get a better evaluation,  Thanks again

No problem.

The kid definitely has potential. but I'm worried about his lack of production, even in a running system like Georgia.  They had Murray there until last year and he was a good QB.  Although Georgia recruits athletes extremely well, so maybe they spread out the system more, but with someone that has this kind of explosive ability, you would think he'd be able to dominate more often than not.  

He's an intriguing 4th rd type guy right now, but I have a feeling he's going to keep trending upwards after pro days as well, especially after Bryant did so well this past season for the Steelers.  I watched a couple of those games, he seems to disappear for long stretches of time during the game, which is concerning.  

With the depth at WR, and the likelihood of being able to get a top 5 WR from this draft class with our 2nd rounder, I'm loving the idea of getting the best pass rusher of the draft. 

Fowler, followed by the best WR in R2, and a RB like Duke Johnson or something like that in R3. Upgrade the secondary and OL via FA. No rookie QB is going to help us this year, so sign a veteran and cross your fingers that the strength of the team can carry the average-ness of the QB we end up with.

God I hate the "depth, so grab some other crappy player and miss out on an elite playmaker" argument. That netted us Calvin Pryor who is at best a third or fourth round guy, and 3 WRs of whom maybe not a single one makes the team. Want to improve at QB? Draft some friggtin weapons. F the VERY risky pass rushers in this draft who all have serious Gholston potential.

God I hate the "depth, so grab some other crappy player and miss out on an elite playmaker" argument. That netted us Calvin Pryor who is at best a third or fourth round guy, and 3 WRs of whom maybe not a single one makes the team. Want to improve at QB? Draft some friggtin weapons. F the VERY risky pass rushers in this draft who all have serious Gholston potential.

Ray could end up being a great player but who knows he could end up us another Melvin Ingram. The thing about pass rushers is they don't have to be Gholston bad to set you back 3 years if they average 4 or less sacks per season that kills your team

Even Clowney who was considered as can't miss as it gets had a bad rookie year

Jets board

Marcus Mariota (We need a QB) Trade him if the deal is silly.

Amari Cooper

Dante Fowler

Kevin White

Vic Beasley

Interesting mock

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2372769-nfl-mock-draft-2015-1st-round-projections-for-top-prospects-after-combine-day-4

It's got Fowler and Cooper available at 6, who do you take?

This + 1,000,000.

Take the QB. Has all the tools and a  smart young man. Reminds me a bit of Flacco(quiet, confident, doesn't get flustered). Give him a year to study up, get the other pieces in place with FA(Pass on Revis) and the draft and be ready for a PO push in 2016. If we're fortunate and Marriota becomes the guy, by year 2/3 we're fully loaded and ready for war. Hopefully Brady is ready to hang it up right at that time.

This + 1,000,000.

Take the QB. Has all the tools and a smart young man. Reminds me a bit of Flacco(quiet, confident, doesn't get flustered). Give him a year to study up, get the other pieces in place with FA(Pass on Revis) and the draft and be ready for a PO push in 2016. If we're fortunate and Marriota becomes the guy, by year 2/3 we're fully loaded and ready for war. Hopefully Brady is ready to hang it up right at that time.

Mariota reminds you of flacco? How?

Mariota reminds you of flacco? How?

I guess you didn't read my post?

"Take the QB. Has all the tools and a smart young man. Reminds me a bit of Flacco(quiet, confident, doesn't get flustered"

Obviously different playing styles, but very similar demeanor wise.... and of course the "eyebrows" LOL!

Take the QB or make the trade.

Ray could end up being a great player but who knows he could end up us another Melvin Ingram. The thing about pass rushers is they don't have to be Gholston bad to set you back 3 years if they average 4 or less sacks per season that kills your team

Even Clowney who was considered as can't miss as it gets had a bad rookie year

That's why the Jets need to target Hughes or Graham in free agency!

Proven players, Graham bends the corner & and is a great tackler.

You have to imagine a guy with our tremendous Dline.

That's not the argument I'm making.

I'm saying there are more good WRs in this draft than pass rushers. The dropoff between the 2nd best WR (who is probably what we'd get) and the 6th best (who is probably what we'd get in R2) isn't as dramatic as the dropoff between the 1st best pass rusher and whatever pass rusher we'd have to take in R2.

I'm curious to see what that corner from Michigan State runs. If he cracks 4.4, he's a lock to go top 10. instead of overpaying for cb this free agent in a hot CB market , pick up Wayans with the #6 pick, another serviceable corner in free agency and spend the money on OLB and offensive line.

3 cone, jumps and the short shuttle are the most predictive of success to me. Your never running 40 straight yards, and you can always get into a weight room.  RUN from a guy that looks good in shorts, runs a fast forty but has slow hips. 

Random Thoughts. 

In regards to the combine in general - The more I see these WR's I feel like this class is just as good as last year at-least when you compare the top 8-10 guys. Perhaps the best value will be in the late first round. Its a great draft to trade down if you want a WR. 

Marcus Mariota is simply an Elite Athlete. One of my favorite players to watch is Julian Edelman. Explosion, Hip movement and Change of direction ability are the most important factors in the NFl. Check his comparison to Mariota. Note Mariota may come up a-little slower but he's 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. 

Julian Edelman is 5'10,  195 pounds, 4.52 Forty yard dash,  20 yard shuttle of 3.92, and a 3 cone of 6.62. Broad 10, Vert 36. 

Marcus Mariota is 6'4, 222 pounds, 4.52 Forty yard dash, Broad 10,  Vert 36, 3 cone of 6.87, and short shuttle of 4.11. 

Mariotas throwing motion is sweet. Hes simply an Elite athlete in general with tremendous upside. I think people like to make comparisons to Alex Smith and Colin Kapernick which leave such a terrible taste in your mouth but comparisons are crap. Hes such a unique player. I look at the rest of the guys that may be available at our pick and non have that upside, non are Elite. Amari Cooper is not an Elite prospect at WR. Fowler is not. Gregory could easily be Aaron Maybin, or Dion Jordan. Schafer is a guard. 

You just can't pass on a QB with that much upside for non elite players. Chip Kelly - The best offensive mind in football wants this guy.  If he's there - it should be a no brainer. 

I don't understand where how this opinion continues to hold weight.  I sat down yesterday and watched every single Amari Cooper game footage video I could find...the guy has no flaws.  He changes direction easily, catches everything, is DANGEROUS with the ball in his hands, runs perfect routes AND is verrrry deceptive in his breaks, has blazing straightline speed, and has an insane workout regimen...what exactly is the problem? Are people doubting his "upside" because he doesn't have the body of Calvin Friggin Johnson?  Insane.  Watch the tape, it's legitimately hard not to love him.

FWIW...I was a big Cooper hater 3 short days ago.  I fell for all of the reporter hype about him not having a high enough ceiling.  Don't be me, use your eyes.

By Jordan Raanan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on February 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM, updated February 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Reddit

Email

NFL Scouting

The defensive backs are blazing their way through the 40-yard dash Monday morning at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Normally, the cornerbacks are some of the fastest players in the NFL Draft. This year is no different.

Here are the times:

(Note: Times are unofficial)

Cornerbacks (40-yard dash):
Ronald Darby (Florida St.) 4.32
Charles Gaines (Louisville) 4.34
Jalen Collins (LSU) 4.43
Doran Grant (Ohio St.) 4.44
Senquez Golson (Ole Miss) 4.46
Justin Coleman (Tennessee) 4.50
Lorenzo Doss (Tulane) 4.50
Alex Carter (Stanford) 4.52
Troy Hill (Oregon) 4.55
Quandre Diggs (Texas) 4.56
Jacoby Glenn (Central Florida) 4.58
Donald Celiscar (Western Michigan) 4.62
Ladarius Gunter (Miami) 4.65
Anthony Jefferson (UCLA) 4.72

I don't understand where how this opinion continues to hold weight.  I sat down yesterday and watched every single Amari Cooper game footage video I could find...the guy has no flaws.  He changes direction easily, catches everything, is DANGEROUS with the ball in his hands, runs perfect routes AND is verrrry deceptive in his breaks, has blazing straightline speed, and has an insane workout regimen...what exactly is the problem? Are people doubting his "upside" because he doesn't have the body of Calvin Friggin Johnson?  Insane.  Watch the tape, it's legitimately hard not to love him.

FWIW...I was a big Cooper hater 3 short days ago.  I fell for all of the reporter hype about him not having a high enough ceiling.  Don't be me, use your eyes.

Yep at least now you get it, I have been telling everyone Cooper will be the next Jerry Rice.

I guess you didn't read my post?

"Take the QB. Has all the tools and a smart young man. Reminds me a bit of Flacco(quiet, confident, doesn't get flustered"

Obviously different playing styles, but very similar demeanor wise.... and of course the "eyebrows" LOL!

Take the QB or make the trade.

Ok, just checking because I can't think of two more different styles of quarterback

Archived