Geno could be our guy

prime21

Here's the reality.

People can throw out stats and growth and wins late all they want.  For most of us that watched him week in and week out.  We know he's terrible.  

I can't even think of one play where I said to myself "wow - this kid can be special"  Sure he made some nice throws - but did he ever make a play that made you think he could be our franchise.

Add that to all the mistakes and you have a guy that might not even be a back-up in three or four years

You didn't like the td pass that wasn't against the Packers? (Thanks Marty!)  His first year, who was he throwing to; Stephen Hill in 4 guys named Moe?  Even so, he had the Pats beat if the aforementioned Hill could have held on a pass you or I could have caught.  Decker was hobbled with a hamstring most of the season; we watched Amaro struggle early with drops right in his hands....   

Listen I understand the frustration you and many other feel because I felt it to,  but you have to realize the guy HAD NO BUSINESS STARTING BECAUSE HE WASN'T READY.   He was force fed the position and it showed; he was marginally better toward the end of his second year but still wildly inconsistent.  

Draft some legit weapons (wr/rb) and beef up the line through FA and lets see what he can do if he can win the starting job from whomever we draft or sign.   The guy is only 23 years old and has 2 full seasons under his belt and now has a OC known for getting the best out of his qbs.   I ready to give him one last shot at putting it together, if he fails then he can be the back up or they can cut him I don't care.  What I do care about is the team making an "emotional" decision with out looking at ALL the factors involved.

For those of you who can remember Terry Bradshaw's first few seasons, if he was Jet he would have been run out of town, he was that bad.  No I am not comparing Geno as a QB to Bradshaw; only that his first few seasons were putrid and he was benched on more than one occasion but went on (with the help of some hall of fame talent) to win big.  Patience is still a virtue...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I am way off-base here, but with the 6th pick, if I am going to select a player, that player must be an impact player and start immediately!!!! The consensus appears to be about Marriota is that he will need a year of seasoning before he would legitimately be able to start an NFL football game.  Which to me means he needs a year to compete for an NFL job....That does not make any sense to me... If I want to draft a QB that may need some time, I can do that maybe in the 4th or 5th round... A Bryce Petty or a Sean Manion.  but the 6th pick in the draft must be an immediate contributor, if that means picking somone (if they do not trade down) other than a QB, then I hope that what the Jets do even if Mariota is on the board at our pick. 

ELI says hello.

"Per Cimini, the "vibe close to the organization" is that new GM Mike Maccagnan isn't in "quarterback-or-bust mode." Smith finished 2014 strong and will be an intriguing match for new OC Chan Gailey's Pistol Spread offense, one similar to the system in which Geno played at West Virginia. Smith improved his completion rate, TD-to-INT ratio, and QB rating as a sophomore. His physical skills are superior to any free agent quarterback's."

My God it's such a long way til the draft. This could lead us to a trade down.

That system is a dumbed down system that works in college, but I doubt it has much to offer in the NFL. Smith has trouble with the verbiage of the West Coast offense and never could get to his second read. Held the ball too long which is a product of not seeing the defense. Smith does not look very athletic at the NFL level either. He is a long strider when choppy steps inside the pocket help guys like Brady and Manning escape the rush. Geno is a backup at best.

That system is a dumbed down system that works in college, but I doubt it has much to offer in the NFL. Smith has trouble with the verbiage of the West Coast offense and never could get to his second read. Held the ball too long which is a product of not seeing the defense. Smith does not look very athletic at the NFL level either. He is a long strider when choppy steps inside the pocket help guys like Brady and Manning escape the rush. Geno is a backup at best.

He doesn't look athletic? Which Geno have you been watching?  He is not Kaepernick but he is pretty athletic.  He just needs to learn when to get rid of the football and improve his ball security.  Whether he is a back up or not remains to be seen but he will get a chance to perform under Chan Gailey and we will see for ourselves.  By the way I believe Gailey has already had some success in the pros with that system.  He helped Fitzpatrick make a lot of money in Buffalo.  Lets see if he can't help Geno get better by focusing on his strengths and put in the best possible position to succeed. 

Archived