No Restructure For Harvin

HOZ THE JET

Bit, do we still have $50M in cap if we just pay Harvin. Basically it's a $10M one year deal right?

Problem I have with Harvin is he says he doesn't want to be the slot guy, but depending upon who we draft that might be his best fit. If he wasn't such an apparent head case...

Bit, do we still have $50M in cap if we just pay Harvin. Basically it's a $10M one year deal right?

Problem I have with Harvin is he says he doesn't want to be the slot guy, but depending upon who we draft that might be his best fit. If he wasn't such an apparent head case...

Where did Harvin say he doesn't want to be a slot guy? I missed that link.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy got dumped from two franchises and, in this scenario, is about to shoot his way out of a third. He was had for a sixth rounder a few months ago after Seattle shopped him all over the league. He's not the prized FA anything.

What do you mean he is not a prize FA? If you mean he is not one of the top 10 guys out there no he is not. If you think he won't get 5 and 35 with money upfront from a team he rather play with I think your wrong.  He played on a poor team, with a bad QB and kept his mouth shut for 1/2 the year, just that increases the amount of teams interested.

Exactly...from the second the Jets got him I figured he'd renegotiate because he's not getting 10.5 on the open market, so he'd be smart to see what the Jets are offering.  If they won't even come to the table, they gotta' let him go.

I agree...gotta let him go...

But at the same time, the concept of not listening would be just wrong.  I'm sure the agents will listen to hear what the Jets have to say, make a counteroffer and move on when the Jets won't match it.

If I'm Harvin I certainly don't settle.

unless Percy has no desire to play for the Jets

Harvin's contract has no guarantees, so he can be cut with no cap ramifications at any point and he won't see any of that money. He's not going to get that kind of deal on the open market, and the Jets could easily offer him guarantees in exchange for lower cap figures.

On the other hand, why would they given he's a problem child and they don't have cap issues this year? They can play wait and see and cut him for nothing after the season if it doesn't work out. The issue is the pick, and that's a negative, but it's not a huge deal.

I believe the date that the pick comes into play is what, a week or two into FA? So the Jets can also go into FA, sign a WR, cut Harvin, and have him go into a market where most of the money has been spent and he's a guy who's been on 3 teams in the last few years and has had injury issues.

So there's certainly leverage for the Jets in this situation. No need to renegotiate if they don't like the deal and no need to cut him until FA starts to play out.

I think it is the 19th and I think they will decide after the market starts setting during that first week of FA.

I think if the Jets ask him to restructure and he says no, the Jets say bye bye.  They have already made up their minds about his worth.  I would not overpay for a guy like Harvin.  I would overpay for a killer pass rusher or a great QB.

There is absolutely no reason to cut Harvin without a replacement already lined up.  Harvin's contract structure means the Jets can literally cut him any day they want to in FA with the same cap effect.  So if Harvin won't restructure, expect the Jets to bring in top FA WRs and see if they can sign one to a deal that makes cutting Harvin a smart move.  If not, lather, rinse, and repeat next year.

I agree...gotta let him go...

But at the same time, the concept of not listening would be just wrong.  I'm sure the agents will listen to hear what the Jets have to say, make a counteroffer and move on when the Jets won't match it.

If I'm Harvin I certainly don't settle.

unless Percy has no desire to play for the Jets

I like the idea of keeping him around because he would absolutely put up better numbers with improved QB play and leave one less void on the roster.  However, his durability is a concern and you can't pay a guy like Harvin that much  money to play 9-10 games which could very well happen.  I think they should at least offer 7 mil guaranteed, with playing time/production incentives getting him to 10 mil.  I'm really curious to see if he overplays his hand and loses some money.

I like the idea of keeping him around because he would absolutely put up better numbers with improved QB play and leave one less void on the roster.  However, his durability is a concern and you can't pay a guy like Harvin that much  money to play 9-10 games which could very well happen.  I think they should at least offer 7 mil guaranteed, with playing time/production incentives getting him to 10 mil.  I'm really curious to see if he overplays his hand and loses some money.

I think he already has. If he's not even willing to renegotiate, you can already tell his mind is set on where he should be paid - 10 mil per. No team is going to pay Harvin that. Is he talented? Yes. Worth 10 mil per? No. 

Jets fans are trapped in this Idzik bunker of not paying people

the cap goes up every damn year. It's going up 10 mil this year

someone will pay this player.

Why keep Harvin when you can have Jacoby Ford, Chaz Schilens and Curt Conway. Nobody wins with wide receivers.

his KC and MIN games are indicative of what kind of player he can be

keep in mind WR production is based on QB service. The Jets have the worst QB situation in the league so... it's not surprising the WR production suffers.

We're building the ultimate offense next season. Matt Moore throwing to trash. It's called the French Coast Offense.

The guy isn't worth the money. People saying that we should spend it because we have the cap room are not advocating spending our cap wisely. The guy gets hurt all the time. Even if he was healthy for the whole season he wouldn't be worth it. As far as the Geno comments, Harvin wasn't even remotely worth it in Seattle with Wilson as his QB and no other weapons to steal targets from him. This doesn't even factor in the lockeroom issues.  Let some other team over-pay and try to get rid of him the following year.

I think if the Jets ask him to restructure and he says no, the Jets say bye bye.  They have already made up their minds about his worth.  I would not overpay for a guy like Harvin.  I would overpay for a killer pass rusher or a great QB.

Totally agree.

You keep him if you can get a new deal done, otherwise, bye.

Dude, it's a tweet from a guy who's about as reliable as a Toyota. My guess would be Harvin doesn't re-do his deal either, that's not exactly shocking. Why would he, makes no sense. He can get a new, decent deal somewhere else with a big signing bonus and a better QB situation.

i don't get your analogy.  Toyota's are considered extremely reliable.

It all depends on how much money they are allocating to each position.  Would a new contract with Percy and lets say signing Cromartie be better than signing Maxwell and drafting White or Cooper?   I would go with Maxwell and drafting a WR.

Harvin is well worth a 4th Rd pick but not well worth 10.5 mil with that being said I will keep him at a reduce rate for sure.

But in essence , especially  this year money is not an issue. He's already signed for 10.5 this season, give him the year to prove his worth, if he dissappoints cut him next year and lose nothing but a 4th rd pick this year.

But in essence , especially this year money is not an issue. He's already signed for 10.5 this season, give him the year to prove his worth, if he dissappoints cut him next year and lose nothing but a 4th rd pick this year.

Yeah but we need to at least get to $95 million under the cap so we can extend Wilkerson at 80% above market.

At this point Harvin and his agents have nothing to lose. So all you can conclude is Harvin has aggressive representation on his side. But i sure would want to know what their next move is because it's so easy to buy inot your own BS and overplay your hand.

There is no way Harvin deserves 10 mill per year payday.

There is no way Harvin deserves 6 mill per year payday.

Release him to avoid giving Seattle the 4th round pick and then pick him up. The Jets need to acquire weapons, not let them go.

Mark my words: if he goes to NE, he will get 110 receptions.

We'd still have to give Seattle a 4th, even if Mccags was dumb enough to try that ploy.  Have you forgotten Tannenbaum getting royally burned by New Orleans after trading Vilma to the Saints?  The Saints released him before the deadline when they would have to send us a pick and the Jets didn't get their pick only to watch the Saints then re-sign him as a FA while Tannenbaum got nothing.  Not long thereafter, the Vilma rule was enacted.

i don't get your analogy.  Toyota's are considered extremely reliable.

except for a ten year period in which their brakes failed chronically causing multiple deaths, amputations, brain dead victims and worse.  Oh yeah... and Toyota denied it all.  Until they admitted it before trial and settled.  Hell of a company there.

Release him to avoid giving Seattle the 4th round pick and then pick him up. The Jets need to acquire weapons, not let them go.

If we release him then we cant sign him until June or something like that.  No way that's happening.

As already has been mentioned, the Jets can't resign him and avoid giving the fourth rounder anyway. But even if they could, Harvin would bolt out the door and never look back, going to a team with a better QB situation, and better chances to win. The Jets destroy WR careers.

We'd still have to give Seattle a 4th, even if Mccags was dumb enough to try that ploy. Have you forgotten Tannenbaum getting royally burned by New Orleans after trading Vilma to the Saints? The Saints released him before the deadline when they would have to send us a pick and the Jets didn't get their pick only to watch the Saints then re-sign him as a FA while Tannenbaum got nothing. Not long thereafter, the Vilma rule was enacted.

The Vilma situation is what made me think of releasing Harvin and then picking him up. I didn't know the league enforced a rule after that.

The guy got dumped from two franchises and, in this scenario, is about to shoot his way out of a third. He was had for a sixth rounder a few months ago after Seattle shopped him all over the league. He's not the prized FA anything.

Not to mention that his release is going to happen after the first wave of free agency, which means his leverage is going down the poo poo tube.

Archived