No Restructure For Harvin

HOZ THE JET

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Jets are asking him to restructuring. It may straight up be a paycut. Also it would be a lateral move cut Harvin and use a 1st on  a WR. Hopefully we fill out all our needs in FA in regards to OL, WR, RB, OLB, CB. We should go into the draft with the belief a QB will be available for us. Something we can't upgrade in free agency.

Release him to avoid giving Seattle the 4th round pick and then pick him up. The Jets need to acquire weapons, not let them go.

Mark my words: if he goes to NE, he will get 110 receptions.

Keep him and pay him. 

Agree whats so disturbing the Jets acquire Harvin a playmaker for next to nothing a 4th round pick and we can't even retain his services wake the hell up you dont let a guy like Harvin sign elsewhere when you have one of the worst WR corps  in the league unless of course Clyde Gates and David Nelson are being brought back in really? 

This.

Yes, except the difference between a 4th round pick and a 6th round pick isn't big enough to make cutting Harvin a smart play unless you have someone else in hand to spend the money on.  Unlike most contracts, there's no deadline day to cut Percy, which means every potential FA can be weighed against him in value and a decision made at any time

Yes, except the difference between a 4th round pick and a 6th round pick isn't big enough to make cutting Harvin a smart play unless you have someone else in hand to spend the money on.  Unlike most contracts, there's no deadline day to cut Percy, which means every potential FA can be weighed against him in value and a decision made at any time

Agree to disagree.

Harvin (less our 4th) vs. The Opportunity to Sign or Draft a GM Hand-Picked Guy (less our 6th)

I pick the second option, and in my view, it's not a difficult decision.

Injury prone, attitude issues, low-production, limited skill-set WR/KR at high-cost and the loss of a 4th OR we get a guy our GM wants to suit his new roster and talent plan and we only lose a 6th and retain 10 million in cap space to address overall team deficiencies.

The concept that we simply must retain Harvin implies none of the 1,000's of other WR's available via FA or the draft can possibly produce ~600 yards a year (Harvin's career average).

I reject that idea, and look forward to (we hope) our new GM showing his talent-finding chops via the Draft.

The guy isn't worth the money. People saying that we should spend it because we have the cap room are not advocating spending our cap wisely. The guy gets hurt all the time. Even if he was healthy for the whole season he wouldn't be worth it. As far as the Geno comments, Harvin wasn't even remotely worth it in Seattle with Wilson as his QB and no other weapons to steal targets from him. This doesn't even factor in the lockeroom issues.  Let some other team over-pay and try to get rid of him the following year.

spending money just because you have it is bad policy, in football and in life.

This will be a hot topic over the next couple of weeks.  Percy is a dynamic player.  He can stretch the field, play in the backfield and return kicks. His contract and our QB sitaution go hand and hand.  We can probably have Cooper or White at 6 and I think we would prefer any one over them over Percy.  But if we are looking for Mariotta or a pass rusher then Percy becomes more valuable to us but still not at 10 million.  He's a dangerous player when the ball is in his hands but I don't think he strikes fear into defenders and with that he cannot get 10 million from the Jets.  Give him a nice signing bonus but he should be getting 7 maybe 8 mil a year. 

his KC and MIN games are indicative of what kind of player he can be 

keep in mind WR production is based on QB service. The Jets have the worst QB situation in the league so... it's not surprising the WR production suffers. 

By NFL standards, ancient history.  Lets look at the last 3 years

Minn.  2012  Played in 8 games

Sea.   2013   Played in 1 game

Jets   2014    In the 8 games he had with the Jets he had one good game he had 11 catches.  The other 7  he had a total of 18 catches.  He didn't do much better with Sea.   22 catches.

If the Jets are going to throw money away on players that aren't productive, I'd rather throw it away on guys who aren't going to disrupt the locker room 

Jets   2014    In the 8 games he had with the Jets he had one good game he had 11 catches.  The other 7  he had a total of 18 catches.  He didn't do much better with Sea.   22 catches.

If the Jets are going to throw money away on players that aren't productive, I'd rather throw it away on guys who aren't going to disrupt the locker room

exactly. Other than the minnesota game he didnt impress me. Maybe if his cap hit was lower and we didnt have to throw away a high 4th rounder i might take a shot

Agree to disagree.

Harvin (less our 4th) vs. The Opportunity to Sign or Draft a GM Hand-Picked Guy (less our 6th)

I pick the second option, and in my view, it's not a difficult decision.

Injury prone, attitude issues, low-production, limited skill-set WR/KR at high-cost and the loss of a 4th OR we get a guy our GM wants to suit his new roster and talent plan and we only lose a 6th and retain 10 million in cap space to address overall team deficiencies.

The concept that we simply must retain Harvin implies none of the 1,000's of other WR's available via FA or the draft can possibly produce ~600 yards a year (Harvin's career average).

I reject that idea, and look forward to (we hope) our new GM showing his talent-finding chops via the Draft.

I think you're missing my point.  I've got no problem with cutting Harvin if we have something better to spend the money on. In fact, I'm all for it.  Randall Cobb wants to come here for 9M per? Torrey Smith for 7M, to help take the top off the defense and as a solid all around WR? Amari Cooper falls into our laps at 6 and both QBs are off the board? Running out of cap space to sign a stud pass rusher after making other big moves (Iupati, Wilkerson, 2CBs, etc)? See ya, Percy (even after giving up the 4th by keeping him past the 19th).

But cutting him before FA, without a replacement WR in the fold or another use for the money the instant he's cut?  Hell no, because that risks us being left holding the bag in the form of extra cap space without useful players willing to take it.  I'm willing to give up my 4th round pick to ensure that my worst case scenario is another year of Harvin, rather than giving up my 6th and being in a position where I might wish I had kept Harvin because I have no better place to put that money.

I think you're missing my point.  I've got no problem with cutting Harvin if we have something better to spend the money on. In fact, I'm all for it.  Randall Cobb wants to come here for 9M per? Torrey Smith for 7M, to help take the top off the defense and as a solid all around WR? Amari Cooper falls into our laps at 6 and both QBs are off the board? Running out of cap space to sign a stud pass rusher after making other big moves (Iupati, Wilkerson, 2CBs, etc)? See ya, Percy (even after giving up the 4th by keeping him past the 19th).

But cutting him before FA, without a replacement WR in the fold or another use for the money the instant he's cut?  Hell no, because that risks us being left holding the bag in the form of extra cap space without useful players willing to take it.  I'm willing to give up my 4th round pick to ensure that my worst case scenario is another year of Harvin, rather than giving up my 6th and being in a position where I might wish I had kept Harvin because I have no better place to put that money.

its pretty doubtful the jets will strikeout as far as wide recievers. We have the cap space and good draft position. Im sorry but harvin is too risky and pricey

Harvin is doing the Jets a favor. He's not the kind of player I'd like to fork over 2 years' guarantees to (regardless of the annual amount).

If we're going to give up a 4th to keep him (which would happen with a restructure) I'd leave him as-is. See what we get in the draft, see what Idzik's guys start to show; he can be cut at the end of August if one of them shows something or kept if none are near ready to start yet. Then if it looks like someone else really could start the whole season (but Harvin also looks good and is behaving) we could offer him a $2M pay cut hours before final cutdown day, Tannenbaum-Clemens style. He's not getting $8M guaranteed for this season in September, it's not much of an overpay, and we're not locked into him for 2016 if/when he acts up during the '15 season. Put it back onto 2016's base if we keep him beyond this season if it makes him feel better to just call it a "restructure" for anyone who will believe it for face-saving.

There's no doubting he's got a lot of talent, but a team on its way to the superbowl, with no obvious gamechangers on their receiving corps, was still willing to dump him in November for a conditional 6th round pick and $7M in non-payments to him. And they sure could have used him in the superbowl against NE.

Harvin is doing the Jets a favor. He's not the kind of player I'd like to fork over 2 years' guarantees to (regardless of the annual amount).

If we're going to give up a 4th to keep him (which would happen with a restructure) I'd leave him as-is. See what we get in the draft, see what Idzik's guys start to show; he can be cut at the end of August if one of them shows something or kept if none are near ready to start yet. Then if it looks like someone else really could start the whole season (but Harvin also looks good and is behaving) we could offer him a $2M pay cut hours before final cutdown day, Tannenbaum-Clemens style. He's not getting $8M guaranteed for this season in September, it's not much of an overpay, and we're not locked into him for 2016 if/when he acts up during the '15 season. Put it back onto 2016's base if we keep him beyond this season if it makes him feel better to just call it a "restructure" for anyone who will believe it for face-saving.

There's no doubting he's got a lot of talent, but a team on its way to the superbowl, with no obvious gamechangers on their receiving corps, was still willing to dump him in November for a conditional 6th round pick and $7M in non-payments to him. And they sure could have used him in the superbowl against NE.

I am not sure when the 4th round pick kicks in ? Is it if he is on the team first day of the NFL new season calendar which starts sometime in March or is it the somewhere down the road.

If it's sometime in March then based on what you say we giveup a 4th and still end up not having him on opening day.

I am not sure when the 4th round pick kicks in ? Is it if he is on the team first day of the NFL new season calendar which starts sometime in March or is it the somewhere down the road.

If it's sometime in March then based on what you say we giveup a 4th and still end up not having him on opening day.

A 4th round pick might not even be on the opening day roster look what happened last year in free agency with the deep WR draft 

A 4th round pick might not even be on the opening day roster look what happened last year in free agency with the deep WR draft 

Well if your approach to the off season is that we better overpay and give up a 4th, because the jets are dysfunctional, I understand. But you have to be a little more optimistic, don't you think?  

And cut him beforehand and we give up a 6th without having him on opening day. It's not a 2nd or 3rd. A 4th is very recoverable by trading down, not remotely a guaranteed success, and IMO not worth painting ourselves into a corner for the upcoming season.

I think someone said earlier we had until the 17th so thats plenty of time to sign a FA WR if we like/want one better than Harvin.

spending money just because you have it is bad policy, in football and in life.

the Jets have to spend 141 Million this year, to get to the league floor.  Idzik had this team grinding along at 81%. It has to be at 89% over 4 years 2013-2016 or the team faces huge fines, possible loss of draft picks. 

no one is complaining about Decker having half the catches as he did in Denver

the reason why the WRs aren't productive is cause the QB is a jackass. 

Harvin caused 0 problems here and remember reading he was very coachable and a pleasure to have on the team STOP already

no one is complaining about Decker having half the catches as he did in Denver

the reason why the WRs aren't productive is cause the QB is a jackass. 

Or the receiver in question missed games and played with a bad hamstring most of the year.  When he finally got healthy he started to put up good numbers. 

Archived