No Restructure For Harvin

HOZ THE JET

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make him a "fair" offer and that sure as hell is not 10 million a year.

I like the 28 to 30 million over 4 years with either 14 or 15 guaranteed. If he can do better then good for him. I would certainly release him and save our 4th and then resign him after he sees what the market will offer.

And cut him beforehand and we give up a 6th without having him on opening day. It's not a 2nd or 3rd. A 4th is very recoverable by trading down, not remotely a guaranteed success, and IMO not worth painting ourselves into a corner for the upcoming season.

I think someone said earlier we had until the 17th so thats plenty of time to sign a FA WR if we like/want one better than Harvin.

It's a 4th round pick. The new GM is not throwing it away. If you give up a 4th and still not have him on opening day it will give the JETS beat writers a mother of all loaded guns to attack the new FO. Not happening. It would defy logic too. They would rather take the hit of the 6th and let him loose and see if they can sign him for bargain prices.

I see them parting ways and lettting him test the market if his agents play hardball come March.

the Jets have to spend 141 Million this year, to get to the league floor.  Idzik had this team grinding along at 81%. It has to be at 89% over 4 years 2013-2016 or the team faces huge fines, possible loss of draft picks. 

I read about that, although I forgot the actual numbers.  Nothing wrong with that.  Does not require us to overpay guys.

Jets fans are trapped in this Idzik bunker of not paying people

the cap goes up every damn year. It's going up 10 mil this year

someone will pay this player.

So don't do a thing and pay him his $10m this yr. Jets have the cap room. See what he can do for a yr. You aren't going to get a talent like Harvin in the 4th.

It's a 4th round pick. The new GM is not throwing it away. If you give up a 4th and still not have him on opening day it will give the JETS beat writers a mother of all loaded guns to attack the new FO. Not happening. It would defy logic too. They would rather take the hit of the 6th and let him loose and see if they can sign him for bargain prices.

I see them parting ways and lettting him test the market if his agents play hardball come March.

I think it's clearly the most likely thing for them to just let him go. It's also convenient for Maccagnan to render himself blameless for the 6th and say he cut off the bleeding as best he could. But a 4th is not hard to recover (or more correctly, turning a 6th into a 4th). Trade down about 9 slots in round 2 and you've got it back. 

If they sign a WR like Cobb in the early days of FA it's all moot because the situation with Harvin dictates itself. If they see a team who picks ahead of them sign Cobb or another sure starter, and already have another, and we have no interest in drafting either top QB (or catch wind there's already a handshake deal in place for Phi or Cle to leapfrog us) then also release him.

The in between is if we go hard after Cobb and miss, and if we think the 1 receiver we love will be gone at 6. Then I'd keep my options open by hanging onto him. Or that's what I thought a month or so ago. It wouldn't "defy logic" but as I'm seeing more of these WR reports for this draft class come in, and given how many of these prospects there are (don't forget how many teams took WRs last year that they're happy with), I don't think it's necessary anymore.

Actually what's concerning me more is Maccagnan's attempt to get him to restructure. I just wouldn't want to get locked into him with guarantees for the next 2 seasons. I'd rather keep him at his current deal, which gives us the flexibility to cut bait at the end of the summer, or put pressure on him to take an outright pay cut after everyone's rosters are already set so he won't get anything guaranteed even for this one season.

The one move above all that I would least like to make is restructuring him now, before FA and before a monster WR draft.

I think you're missing my point.  I've got no problem with cutting Harvin if we have something better to spend the money on. In fact, I'm all for it.  Randall Cobb wants to come here for 9M per? Torrey Smith for 7M, to help take the top off the defense and as a solid all around WR? Amari Cooper falls into our laps at 6 and both QBs are off the board? Running out of cap space to sign a stud pass rusher after making other big moves (Iupati, Wilkerson, 2CBs, etc)? See ya, Percy (even after giving up the 4th by keeping him past the 19th).

But cutting him before FA, without a replacement WR in the fold or another use for the money the instant he's cut?  Hell no, because that risks us being left holding the bag in the form of extra cap space without useful players willing to take it.  I'm willing to give up my 4th round pick to ensure that my worst case scenario is another year of Harvin, rather than giving up my 6th and being in a position where I might wish I had kept Harvin because I have no better place to put that money.

Hold on to the bad card because one of the next 50 cards in the deck MIGHT be bad, eh?  Sorry if I don't share that mentality on the dawn of a new regime.

Your view would hold more weight, IMO, if we were a Super Bowl contender, where the loss of Harvin without adequate replacement might cost us a title.

We're not in that spot.

The loss of Harvin is almost assuredly 100% irrelevant to the team in 2015.  

I, therefore, am not willing to give up my 4th round pick to ensure I get one (meaningless) year from an injury prone, bad attitude, problematically talented 600 yards-a-year-if-we're-lucky KR/WR.

The team, and the fans IMO, should be looking to the future, not the current.

We can, and I think will, do better.

"Holding the bag", "without willing players to take it", such fearly loser language, honestly.  Be assured, if we have money, players will take it, if the new GM can find (or draft) players he thinks are worthy of it.

I'd much rather see a 4th round pick WR play than see Harvin play, meaningless wasted reps as far as the future and title winning is concerned.

Isn't it time we stopped clinging to players like Harvin, of Chris Johnson, or the enless list of worn out vets and problem kids we signed because we feared we couldn't do better ourselves?

I'm confident our GM will have five to six WR's to trot out come opening day.

You don't restructure Harvin and get stuck with future cap hits if he acts up in 2015.

You also don't just cut him without having a replacement signed in the first 10 days of FA.

Worst case - you eat the cap hit in 2015, and let him play out the season. And we can have the same conversation next off season because the circumstances of his contract will remain exactly the same.

I think it's clearly the most likely thing for them to just let him go. It's also convenient for Maccagnan to render himself blameless for the 6th and say he cut off the bleeding as best he could. But a 4th is not hard to recover (or more correctly, turning a 6th into a 4th). Trade down about 9 slots in round 2 and you've got it back. 

If they sign a WR like Cobb in the early days of FA it's all moot because the situation with Harvin dictates itself. If they see a team who picks ahead of them sign Cobb or another sure starter, and already have another, and we have no interest in drafting either top QB (or catch wind there's already a handshake deal in place for Phi or Cle to leapfrog us) then also release him.

The in between is if we go hard after Cobb and miss, and if we think the 1 receiver we love will be gone at 6. Then I'd keep my options open by hanging onto him. Or that's what I thought a month or so ago. It wouldn't "defy logic" but as I'm seeing more of these WR reports for this draft class come in, and given how many of these prospects there are (don't forget how many teams took WRs last year that they're happy with), I don't think it's necessary anymore.

Actually what's concerning me more is Maccagnan's attempt to get him to restructure. I just wouldn't want to get locked into him with guarantees for the next 2 seasons. I'd rather keep him at his current deal, which gives us the flexibility to cut bait at the end of the summer, or put pressure on him to take an outright pay cut after everyone's rosters are already set so he won't get anything guaranteed even for this one season.

The one move above all that I would least like to make is restructuring him now, before FA and before a monster WR draft.

Well if you cut bait in Sept you lost the 4th.  If you keep him you eliminate the pressing need to take a WR early, and if Marriota is there he will have a safety valve. But you are also taking yourself out of the running for a #1 or 1A WR FA

Quick question - anyone here willing to deal harvin plus a 6th round pick for a 4th rounder? If so, speak up. If not, then the only issue is cap costs

If the jets could get the 104th pick for harvin they would jump on it.  Right now they are considering releasing him, you can be sure they would trade him for the 104th.

Agree whats so disturbing the Jets acquire Harvin a playmaker for next to nothing a 4th round pick and we can't even retain his services wake the hell up you dont let a guy like Harvin sign elsewhere when you have one of the worst WR corps in the league unless of course Clyde Gates and David Nelson are being brought back in really?

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. We're not in position to get rid of any playmakers. We need to acquire them.

So don't do a thing and pay him his $10m this yr. Jets have the cap room. See what he can do for a yr. You aren't going to get a talent like Harvin in the 4th.

The guy is a playmaker - if the Seahags had him in the Super Bowl, they sure the heck wouldn't have lost that game.

Well if you cut bait in Sept you lost the 4th. If you keep him you eliminate the pressing need to take a WR early, and if Marriota is there he will have a safety valve. But you are also taking yourself out of the running for a #1 or 1A WR FA

I've said twice in this thread the 4th isn't a good enough reason to paint oneself into a corner. But restructuring him loses that same pick AND forces one to pass on a true outside WR for a jack of all trades.

Keeping him through the summer on his current deal keeps all of our options open, and they're huge decisions that could shape he team for years. Trade down a whopping 9 slots in round 2 if a 4th round pick is so friggin crucial.

If we cut bait on final cut down day then it means we had a good reason to (i.e. someone else stepped up over the summer, making him then expendable).

There's enough WR talent in this draft that this exercise probably isn't necessary, though. I just don't want to see us go into the season needing to start a Stephen Hill or Chansi Stuckey type again over a 4th round pick we can pick back up over ways.

Percy Harvin

The Jets have until March 19th to decide what to do with Percy Harvin. When they made the trade with the Seattle Seahawks last season, they agreed the compensation would be different if the Jets was on the team in 2015. Here is how it breaks down:

Keep Him

• The Jets will owe Seattle their 4th round pick
  • Percy Harvin will receive a salary of 10.5 million from the Jets next season

Cut Him (before March 19th)

• If the Jets waive Harvin, they pay him nothing
  • Seattle will receive the Jets 6th round pick
  • The Jets will also gave 10.5 million in salary cap space

There are reports that indicate Percy Harvin will not rework his deal and that the Jets will waive him before March 19th.

Here is a thread with fan reaction and additional information in our .

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fTJ-FWxMXrs

View the full article

I've said twice in this thread the 4th isn't a good enough reason to paint oneself into a corner. But restructuring him loses that same pick AND forces one to pass on a true outside WR for a jack of all trades.

Why does it force the JETS to pass on a WR in the draft ?

"Per terms of the trade the teams made in October, the Seahawks will get a fourth-round pick from the Jets if receiver Percy Harvin remains on New York’s roster through March 19. If he is released before the end of the day on March 19, then the Jets will send a sixth-round pick to Seattle."

The only move here is to release him and let him test the market. Limit the damage of this trade to a 6th round pick. And heck you still might have a very solid opportunity to sign him for much less dough.

Keeping him through the summer on his current deal keeps all of our options open, and they're huge decisions that could shape he team for years. Trade down a whopping 9 slots in round 2 if a 4th round pick is so friggin crucial.

If we cut bait on final cut down day then it means we had a good reason to (i.e. someone else stepped up over the summer, making him then expendable).

There's enough WR talent in this draft that this exercise probably isn't necessary, though. I just don't want to see us go into the season needing to start a Stephen Hill or Chansi Stuckey type again over a 4th round pick we can pick back up over ways.

IMO this year is a year for the new GM to set the table for future years. Without a QB, I see no reason to have a 10.5mill wr on the team that will cost the 104th pick in the draft. He has not spent one year out of the 6 in this league where he was worth that amount of money.

You talk about trading down 9 slots in the 2nd like it is nothing. And I know jet fans turn a blind eye to it, but there is a very good chance that they lose a draft pick for the Revis tampering.

IMO this year is a year for the new GM to set the table for future years. Without a QB, I see no reason to have a 10.5mill wr on the team that will cost the 104th pick in the draft. He has not spent one year out of the 6 in this league where he was worth that amount of money.

I don't understand the logic that since the jets don't have an all pro qb or are expected to win the SB that means that they shouldn't keep good veterans on the team.

gailey is going to want players to implement his offense. Harvin is a good player in space and seems to fit what gailey is going to do. Harvins also a weapon for whatever scrub the jets trot out at qb. Why not help the qb rather than go into yet another season with below average players at skill positions? And he's still only 26.

If we sign a top wr I'm the first week of FA, sure, let him go.. But with the cap space we have, and our need to get better on offense, you don't otherwise let him go

You talk about trading down 9 slots in the 2nd like it is nothing. And I know jet fans turn a blind eye to it, but there is a very good chance that they lose a draft pick for the Revis tampering.

I dont think they will especially with the whole Patriots cheating scandal again they probably dont want to piss off the league,  The league gave the Patriots a break because the won the super bowl so it would be embarrassing to punish them

I wonder if the Jets can actually trade Harvin? Its teams out there with tons of cap space that need receivers bad like the Raiders for example.

Doubtful.  I mean the seahawks only got a 6th round pick from us and we were desperate after the 1-6 start

Agree with the consensus here. No way I renegotiate if I'm Harvin. He's not making $10.5M/year anywhere else, but if he sticks with the Jets and their QB situation, his value can only go down. He's not going to take a reduced contract just to lower his market value further. Pay me or cut me, that would be my stance, too.

and so off he goes good luck elsewhere

I wonder if the Jets can actually trade Harvin? Its teams out there with tons of cap space that need receivers bad like the Raiders for example.

everyone knows what Harvin is hes an all around type player that makes a few big plays a year he's not a WR and he's not consistent IMHO nor will he ever put up big numbers as a WR certainly not 10 mil per numbers. At the time we acquired him last year it was one of the stupidest trades of the year executed by an Idiot John Idzik when this team had no chance. Add that with the fact he's always hurt and he's a big mouth trouble maker and he needs be let go. If he gets waived no way on this earth any team pays him 10 mil so hes going to be out of here soon.

I dont think they will especially with the whole Patriots cheating scandal again they probably dont want to piss off the league,  The league gave the Patriots a break because the won the super bowl so it would be embarrassing to punish them

I am sorry, I don't follow your train of thought.

Yes of course the jets can trade him. But how much more than the 4th do you think you could get? You understand that he has to get traded after the league year and if he is on the team during the start of the league the jets owe the seahawks a 4th.

Very good chance?

Harvin isn't worth $10.5M/year to anyone. That's why the Seahawks dumped him for a conditional 6th.

The Jets have a week or so of the league year to finalize their decision on Harvin, and I'd take every last minute. They'll target free agent WRs and maybe a RB like Spiller. If they land their wish list in a week at those offensive skill positions, Harvin becomes immediately expendable. If they don't -even if he doesn't like it- Harvin is a guy who can do most of what the Jets might be looking for from Spiller.

I don't think keeping Harvin has any effect on their draft plans. They can still certainly take a WR at #6, and be four deep at the position for the first time in forever. They owe him no guaranteed money, and he'd be on a year to year deal, anyway. They can attempt Sperm's hardball negotiations at the end of summer to get a paycut out of him, too, but I think that would be a risky move. I think if you give up the fourth, he's on the roster opening day.

Archived